"understanding what you are doing only increases the obligations"
"It is difficult to get the news from poems yet men die miserably every day for lack of what is found there."
William Carlos Williams
I don't photograph things, I photograph the connections between things. Or to quote, Wright Morris; I am
"making images as fictions though which experience is explored"
Is a more complete bio more to your liking?
now a separate flickr/instagram account
Some of my faves
Why and What I do.
It's simple, if you like, and want; just ask.
Free photography books
I self publish my own e-books, contact me directly I'll send the link to download, all I ask in return is a postcard from where ever you are in the world, details are on the download page.
s2 on tumblr
fresh, lo-fi, and, daily now in hiatus
a quarterly photo publication,
go on; you know you want to!
get your photojojo
I co-edit, refractions magazine, refractionphotos.net
elsewhere on the web?
, and about me
- Flickr Friday 5,993 photos, 10,162 members
- PopPhoto.com Photo of the Day 48,958 photos, 2,282 members
- TELL MUM EVERYTHING IS OK 4,485 photos, 3,500 members
- Walker Evans influenced... 4,178 photos, 285 members
- PURPLE [A World Of Colors] 6,391 photos, 1,118 members
- Straight to Flickr! 3,396 photos, 203 members
- Clothes_line 6,065 photos, 1,865 members
- This is Your Photo 460 photos, 290 members
- ##photography 242 photos, 32 members
- Bridges in Australia 5,384 photos, 493 members
- The Pig Sty tres 2 photos, 3 members
- Atget revisited 80 photos, 29 members
- Victoria, Australia 58,844 photos, 1,674 members
- Station Wagons and Christmas Trees 12 photos, 14 members
- Flickr Groups Preview 122 photos, 533 members
- Views of the National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institution 840 photos, 277 members
- Vale (former) Melbourne Convention Centre 56 photos, 15 members
- iphoneographyCentral 54,999 photos, 1,355 members
- Window seat please 96,560 photos, 19,204 members
- flickr (unofficial) 1,520,004 photos, 78,265 members
- Street Themes #12 - Pigeons 4,472 photos, 263 members
- Shop Windows 17,350 photos, 1,647 members
- fechou 81 photos, 11 members
- The Art of Photography Podcast 80,241 photos, 7,814 members
- Urban Markup Language 873 photos, 266 members
- Fast Fictions 73 photos, 8 members
- ! **Local Marks (stamps, manhole covers, marks, etc...) 425 photos, 998 members
- Regional Rail Link 24 photos, 11 members
- Canberra Architecture 311 photos, 50 members
- Canberra Photographers 54,783 photos, 1,719 members
- Avalon Air Show 2013 "THE POWER OF FLIGHT" 602 photos, 26 members
- Jake's World of Art 740 photos, 4 members
- Guardian Camera Club 27,550 photos, 13,052 members
- Decim8 - iPhone App for Photographic Destruction 5,025 photos, 729 members
- Altered States of Agoraphobia 3,237 photos, 374 members
- The Green Baguette 3,830 photos, 98 members
- Tokyo Cityscape 3,685 photos, 77 members
- Alt Adelaide 642 photos, 27 members
- The New f.64 Club (Large Format Only, Please) 3,749 photos, 435 members
- Flickr for iPhone 28,330 photos, 3,662 members
- Yahoo! Studios: The Weekly Flickr Photos 20,230 photos, 3,638 members
- Berlin calling - the other side of Berlin (invitation) 11,966 photos, 918 members
- Off-beat & Alternative Paris 614 photos, 15 members
- sedge808's faves 3,374 photos, 144 members
- London-alt 139,584 photos, 10,622 members
- ALT_MELB 375 photos, 19 members
- old milk bars 187 photos, 62 members
- Amazing iPhoneography 289,076 photos, 15,819 members
- Through the Lens of an iPhone 37,226 photos, 7,571 members
- cellphone photo & art!!!! 55,446 photos, 1,571 members
cookie poppets says:
"s2 swoons more prettily than any man I know. And when he does, I curse the miles that separate us and prevent me from catching him in my dirty lady pillows."
5th April, 2009
"s2 is one of those rare and invaluable educators - a man who won't give you the easy answers, but nudges you to seek them out for yourself. if they differ to his, well, you probably just asked a different question, and isn't that the best education you can receive? oh, s2 also likes to call himself an arteest, but i reckon that's just code for "i like breasts". cheers to that!"
4th November, 2008
that's MR. POPLABS says:
"s2 is one of the most animated documentors of the inanimate I know.
I have seen, through s2's optical devices, grocery carts get shagged, empty recliners beg for a bum(butt, buttocks, nates, arse, backside, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, rear, rear end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass) and concrete that is clearly pissed off because some utility dude with a can of spraypaint on the end of a stick has painted markings indicating what lies underneath...all the time knowing that some fuck with a jackhammer is going to have at it because of those pretty colored (coloured) markings.
...his text-based sound effects are pretty good too...
CHEERS to s2art!"
2nd September, 2008
"S2 is the Benjamin Franklin of lowres photography: An inventive statesman who may not of invented it, but proved where it's electricty lie... plus I bet he's secretly as much a perv as old Ben Frank was."
16th August, 2008
"Perfessor, bon vivant, and the kindest critic on the planet. His extensive photo portfolio is evidence of something, and is best viewed as a slideshow. s2 is up top of the list of online friends I hope to hoist a pint or a dozen with someday when our real life paths cross. In the meantime, I hope he keeps posting and posting and commenting and commenting till the wallabies come home!"
28th July, 2008
Mr SUBSONIX™ says:
"Jeez have you read all these shining testimonials! You'd think the guy is a master of some sort, but let me tell you... He's always *drunk when he takes photos!
*This testimonial may be false, unfounded, and or untrue."
24th July, 2008
"In the early days s2 lived in 3 places : out in the Australian landscape, the darkroom and the rest of the time downing refreshments as nourishment at the local pub.
Even though many things have changed since then, fortunately for his students, colleagues and friends his love and passion for photography has remained steadfast and infectious. As for his character he has an insatiable hunger for knowledge, shows a healthy disrespect for authority, has an irreverent attitude towards politics and religion and does things to soft fluffy toys that would make any gourd fearing person shudder. His contribution to teaching and the flickr community needs no long winded praise suffice to say his comments are always informative, enlightening and he takes being funny very seriously."
29th August, 2007
"The roos cower in terror as s2art approach, and so should you. But if you treat him to a six pack you'll find he's the pride of Oz - brilliant photographer, loving husband (as long as there's no shortage in beer), esteemed teacher and respected doer in the flickrverse."
27th July, 2007
"S2 has an unhealthy obsession with Shopping Trolleys (carts). but get beyond that he is a damn fine photographer."
14th July, 2007
"im his 732nd contact, we are THAT close.
you should be so lucky.
I think the smiths said it best, "cameraphones. learn to love them, assemble the ways. now today, tomorrow, and always. ""
18th May, 2007
kiss kiss bang bang says:
"I can't believe nobody wrote a testimonial yet!!!
I love your work, but I thought you were like a bad actor playing a role, like this is how a rock singer is supposed to be. If this was an audition for a rock singer, I don’t think you'd get the role."
14th May, 2007
"I'm crap at this testimonials lark, so it really means something that I'm bothering to write one for S2.
His serious photography really is Art, his less-serious shots are funny and thought-provoking, and his comments on others' pictures are always worth reading.
And he's online during the night when the insomniacs amongst us need him!"
19th April, 2007
Drunken Monkey says:
"Good comms, instant payment and no problems, a pleasure. thank you. A++"
20th March, 2007
"I first "met" s2 while perusing Vegemite photos. Don't ask. Then I joined him in the lovely "Spread the Love" fiasco.. yes, fiasco, as it turned into a wild mess of spreads. Cheese, Peanut Butter, and Nocci to say the least, But it DID introduce me to this Absolutely Fantabulous photographer. I adore s2, he enlightens my horizons. Oh, and expands my world. Rock on brother BBQ!! I'm gonna go have a beer, in his name."
17th March, 2007
pa gillet says:
"s2art is a pervert and dangerous guy. You are soon addicted to his wonderful and numerous images. I'd love to make a cross exhibit with this guy."
2nd January, 2007
"the cat likes Tom Waits and takes some sweet pics...the pleasure is mine"
28th November, 2006
"s2art can't be bothered with ethics, paint thinner, American baseball or political science wonks down the hall where he works.
He *can* be counted on to tell you the truth, and for that he's worth every nickel I've sent his dying grandmother Ora Mae.
He also has a direct line to Jesus."
4th November, 2006
Barry Bear says:
""s2art is not stuffed, and as a consequence, should be treated accordingly""
2nd November, 2006
Annene von Durchgerockt says:
"Sometimes the urge to testimonialize hits a bit early, before a complete exploration of the photographer's work has even properly begun. But doesn't that speak volumes in and of itself?
s2art is the kind of Flickrati who benefits the community with his ideas, images and insights, and if he leaves you a comment, no matter how casual, it's always worth rolling around in your head.
A man of visions, indeed."
8th July, 2006
Kent Johnson says:
"Stuart is a mate of photography. He is a tireless investigator of what the camera sees; so much so that now his camera sees with his eyes. At a time when the hoary old argument as to wether photography is truly an art form or not has again raised its ugly head. Stuart’s photographs show us how far photography has come and where it is headed.
Stuart does indeed ‘draw with light’. He brings the true art form of photography into the Twenty First Century. He does this by replacing the cameras lens with his eye and his film with the images he desires."
28th June, 2006
lonely radio says:
"...he's like the photographic father I never had!"
27th March, 2006
"Since I am not allowed to bother with something rude or nasty, I guess I am left with only one option.
I haven't known Stuart for very long, at the time of writing this, although have had the pleasure of sharing at least one shoot and quite a few pictorial experiences with him. I have come to appreciate and somewhat share in his excitement for his 'latest catch' as I have come to appreciate his 'eye' for a subject, a composition, an arrangement. There have been numerable instances now, where I have taken a photo and JUST KNOW it's really an 'S2art' eye that has taken the capture. And I love those captures for a place all of their own.
I think he also has a very high ethic and that deserves respect.
And of course, trollies... !"
31st October, 2005
"Hey! Thanks for the add! You should join my group: www.flickr.com/gr...
7th July, 2005
- November 2004
- Melbourne, Australia
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- artist. picture maker. educator.
- s2z photo art & ephemera