Find me on
I Nancy Blog
Facebook: Nancy Lehrer
The book is out!
Los Angeles - Yesterday's Places Today
Buy the book at www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/238590
On Flickr preview A Gallery of selected images
Get prints at inancy at Smugmug
I maintain a more organized gallery of my best images at inancy at Smugmug
I admin a group called !afterclass! which focuses each month on different topic with threads for specific explorations. A very friendly, non-competitive, supportive environment for expanding your vision of photography.
I'm a computer scientist and former classically trained oboist who has always been the photographer in the family.
Photo processing as an Analogy to Cooking
Read lots of recipes
Look at lots of photos in the genre you are working on. Look at the masters, look at the enthusiasts.
Make up your own recipe
Decide what you like and what you dislike. Evaluate what you have the skills or gear to reproduce and what you don't. Learn by making substitutions and evaluating what happens.
Use the best ingredients
Get the image right in the field. Get a good exposure, framing, focus, interesting subject. Use the best gear that you can afford, but sometimes a toy camera can be just the right tool, just like sometimes Kraft Mac&Cheese is the perfect snack.
Taste as you go.
Post-process using your eyes, not predefined, downloaded plugins. Get feedback from others.
Philosophy about Flickr
The Five Stages of Flickr (freightenly parallel the five stages of grief described by Elisabeth Kübler-Ross):
denial: no one knows about my photos, I haven't found the right groups
anger: why are all these stupid people making such stupid comments or no comments at all
bargaining: if I'm really, really nice and make everyone my contact I'll get more views and comments
depression: my photos suck
acceptance: I take pictures to capture a moment that I can look back on and remember what was done. (Or in a more contemporary voice: "It is what it is.")
Philosophy about Photography
One way to look at photography is as a means to reproduce the world we see. Another way to look at photography is as a means to create something unlike anything we can see naturally.
I live in a "nice" suburb called Thousand Oaks smack dab in the middle between Los Angeles (60 miles south) and Santa Barbara (60 miles north/west).
Photos of I Nancy (7)
- Hasselblad 500 Series 43,612 photos, 2,832 members
- Film Photography Podcast 106,248 photos, 3,858 members
- Olympus E-System Community 372,929 photos, 10,470 members
- Flickr Olympus OM-D 40,228 photos, 2,231 members
- Street! 115,928 photos, 3,341 members
- Small Camera Big Picture 6,514 photos, 571 members
- Olympus OM-D user 93,918 photos, 4,978 members
- Your best street photo 2,880 photos, 617 members
- L.A. Times Community 25,818 photos, 1,011 members
- Alex Coghe Blog STREET PHOTOGRAPHY SHOWCASE 3,220 photos, 668 members
- Big Sur Photo Expedition Feb. 2012 26 photos, 5 members
- Streets in Colo(u)r 10,247 photos, 1,831 members
- Faded & Blurred - fadedandblurred.com 3,782 photos, 167 members
- A nod is as good as a wink 608 photos, 65 members
- Ibarionex Perello's Chasing the Light 2,609 photos, 286 members
- Micro Four Thirds (Micro 4/3) 262,918 photos, 8,344 members
- OLYMPUS PEN E-PL2 20,723 photos, 1,086 members
- The Digital Story - Digital Photography Public Group 30,014 photos, 2,480 members
- The Candid Frame 11,319 photos, 455 members
- WWPW Ventura 2010 171 photos, 32 members
- David DuChemin's Within the Frame 14,208 photos, 1,654 members
- TWIP Critique 33,300 photos, 6,531 members
- This Week in Photo 194,965 photos, 12,254 members
- Camera Position 1,140 photos, 124 members
- TO Photo Group 1,583 photos, 93 members
- The Art of Photography Podcast 64,844 photos, 7,104 members
- Stuck in Customs' Brilliant Cabal - My Cool and Clever Friends 102,903 photos, 4,046 members
- nighthawks 255,643 photos, 18,426 members
- DBOLRL: Swift Kick 119 photos, 29 members
- haphazart! Abstractions 88,390 photos, 3,309 members
- altfotonet.org 10,035 photos, 206 members
- HDR 826,677 photos, 87,646 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark III Group 521,953 photos, 22,203 members
- Los Angeles, You Stink But You're Mine! 2,329 photos, 68 members
- Life Thru A Lenz: Quality Critiques 21,497 photos, 2,895 members
- Extreme Street Photography (ESP) 4,785 photos, 16,070 members
- across the street: minimalist street photography 4,331 photos, 3,562 members
- **The Street Photography Society** only 2 shots per week 113,202 photos, 4,598 members
- Color Street Photography [Photos of People Only] 12,837 photos, 5,341 members
- Hommage à Doisneau 25,876 photos, 1,870 members
- Classic Moments, the Book 100 photos, 87 members
- Los Angeles Street Photography 5,859 photos, 592 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,763 photos, 51,539 members
- DBOLRL: I'm a LOSER baby, so why don't you kill me? 1,512 photos, 54 members
- DBOLRL: Hard Drive 4,573 photos, 109 members
- DBOLRL: Clean Sweeps 1,398 photos, 64 members
- DBOLRL: Now WAY more wünderbïtchen than CLRDMU used to be! 5 photos, 190 members
- Street Portrait Classics.... The Book 95 photos, 158 members
- Top 20 Los Angeles 20 photos, 314 members
- Public Space and its Discontents 139,936 photos, 11,617 members
"Nancy is a Truly Gifted Photographer and her image`s are always of the Highest Standard, I have learnt so much about Photography in recent month`s and it is all down to this very Fine Snapoholic.
It is a Real Honour and a Pleasure to know You Nancy, Thank you for all your Help and much needed Advice."
2nd October, 2008
Ben © says:
"Nance is an excellent photographer, a very good flickr member, and always an inspiration.
11th October, 2007
"One of the most active and interesting person I met on flickr, she not only takes pictures and comment others, but throughs herself with all her energy, without counting time or difficulty in new things.
I was very happy she come to the group afterclass, first beginning to show images, then commenting those of others, later opening threads and building whole month classes! It is a pleasure to work with her, to have her with us.
She told me "I do not know much on Still life" then did some stunning ones as examples and tought a whole class about them. But she does never stop to go further and further and make others react.
A wonderfull human being too, not only a good photographer."
21st September, 2007
David Bridger says:
"It is no surprise to discover that Nancy is a scientist and a former classically trained musician. She brings all the best qualities of those disciplines to her photography.
Her comment on Rag Weed, way back towards the beginning of her photostream, illustrates her instinctive and continuing search for natural patterns and harmony. She says, "I have a love-hate relationship with this pic. There is something about it that keeps me attracted, yet there is no focused composition."
Nancy seeks out and examines her subjects with analytical thoroughness, captures them gently with vision and clarity and harmony and continuity, and presents them in a series of charming Moments.
It's always worth taking notice when she explores something new to her, because you can guarantee she'll see it with fresh eyes."
9th October, 2006
- Nancy Lehrer
- June 2006
- Thousand Oaks, California
- Thousand Oaks, CA, US
- I am:
- Computer Scientist
- Introducing Nancy's Blog