I am a semi-professional photographer based in the north of England. My main interests are wildlife and landscape photography.
I describe myself as a "semi-professional photographer" because:
♦ I always aim to produce photographs of a professional standard;
♦ I earn money from photography, but it's not my main source of income.
You can view a selection of my published images here.
I first started taking pictures when I was a kid. At the age of sixteen, I bought my first proper camera: a second-hand Russian Zenit 3M. I also learnt how to develop and print my photos in a friend's darkroom.
Three decades on, I switched to digital - and I haven't looked back since!
I have used various different cameras over the years. These days I mostly use an Olympus E-3, but I occasionally use my old E-500 for monochrome work.
ALL of the images that I publish on the web are copyrighted: © Roger Butterfield, all rights reserved.
Please do not download or use my pictures in publications, presentations, websites or blogs without first obtaining my express permission. If you do wish to use a picture, please contact me and I will respond as quickly as I can.
Please note that I do not normally permit commercial enterprises to use my images free-of-charge.
Comments, Invitations and Awards
I welcome constructive comments, but please do not use my photostream to promote your own Flickr group(s) or award schemes. Any comments containing icons or images (including animated gifs) will be deleted.
I have a large collection of family photographs, both old and new. For privacy, viewing is restricted to people on my "family contacts" list. If you would like to view the pictures, please contact me.
Photos of Roger B. (2)
- Flora of Nottinghamshire 104 photos, 7 members
- Mid-Century Architecture (Non-Residential) 6,714 photos, 523 members
- headlines 1,080 photos, 28 members
- The Great War Archive Flickr Group 6,061 photos, 550 members
- Manfrotto Official 18,594 photos, 1,989 members
- Bees, bees, bees! 55,485 photos, 12,342 members
- Yorkshire Garden Wildlife 221 photos, 23 members
- A New Flora of the Sheffield Area 451 photos, 27 members
- Chester Zoo 13,189 photos, 831 members
- The Sorby Natural History Society, Sheffield 1,775 photos, 41 members
- Scottish Wildlife 27,733 photos, 1,124 members
- The Moss Valley, Sheffield/Derbyshire 146 photos, 15 members
- Moorland Restoration / Moors for the Future 83 photos, 12 members
- Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) 874 photos, 20 members
- Heather Moorland UK 1,252 photos, 95 members
- Sheffield 36,598 photos, 2,039 members
- RSPB Leighton Moss 4,734 photos, 254 members
- Countryfile 189,628 photos, 3,234 members
- Thorne and Hatfield Moors Conservation Forum 205 photos, 21 members
- RSPB Anglesey South Stack 430 photos, 62 members
- Farming Life 14,956 photos, 958 members
- Then and now: family stories 18 photos, 27 members
- ARKive - images of life on Earth 43,589 photos, 1,167 members
- European Birds and Wildlife 64,684 photos, 990 members
- Close Up and Macro Photography 7,989 photos, 200 members
- Seeds 8,976 photos, 1,634 members
- Yorkshire Wildlife Trust reserves 865 photos, 49 members
- Adobe Lightroom 21,411 photos, 21,400 members
- Anglesey (Ynys Môn) 10,669 photos, 513 members
- Fruit & Veg 164,093 photos, 31,767 members
- Biodiversity and Biological Recording 432 photos, 28 members
- Orobanchaceae 5,481 photos, 236 members
- Parasitic Plants 589 photos, 108 members
- The Natural World of Cornwall 2,219 photos, 100 members
- The Lizard Peninsula, Cornwall, UK 2,484 photos, 205 members
- Iris Flowers 10,808 photos, 1,706 members
- St Just in Penwith Cornwall 794 photos, 67 members
- Carnivorous Plants 11,270 photos, 1,385 members
- Aquilegia - Akelei 967 photos, 147 members
- Conifers 1,244 photos, 119 members
- Allium 915 photos, 150 members
- Mosses & Liverworts 1,373 photos, 182 members
- Sheffield City of Culture 252 photos, 54 members
- Seabirds 18,648 photos, 1,947 members
- ID Please 7,340 photos, 787 members
- Nature conservation in action! 364 photos, 39 members
- Sheffield in Black and White 3,566 photos, 271 members
- BBC Springwatch (Official) 262,433 photos, 23,780 members
- Tracking 1,466 photos, 314 members
- Spectacular Nature-invited images only (15/ month) 21,021 photos, 7,388 members
"A delight to follow Roger's photostream as the wonderful photographs are always accompanied with information about the subject. As a fellow 'Sheffielder' too it's inspiring to know whats out there local to me. Great stream of photo's, especially for nature lovers."
17th December, 2007
"A amazing eye for nature! - Always looking forward to your photographs"
23rd September, 2007
"I discovered Roger's photographs here on Flickr not long after I joined early in 2005. Since then it's been an absolute pleasure to see the constant stream of high quality images - not least of which is one of my favourite sheep shots taken near Derwent Reservoir.
One of Flickr's best for sure. Thank you for continuing to share your images with us."
3rd September, 2007
Son of Groucho says:
"Roger's pictures of plants, animals, and the natural world in general amply demonstrate that for him ecology is not just a profession, but a passion. The quality of his images is consistently high, giving the rest of us something to aspire to, but rarely match.
He's also quite an amusing bugger----sorry, I mean blogger!"
22nd January, 2006
Trois Têtes (TT) says:
"Roger's photography skills make me very jealous. This is true, if a little shameful."
2nd August, 2005
*LINNY * says:
"roger b. was one of the first people on flickr to ever leave a comment on my work, so you could say he was my first....he has been an inspiration, a very helpful and nice person, love his work. linny"
13th July, 2005
- Roger Butterfield
- November 2004
- Sheffield, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Ecologist, Trainer & Photographer