Website- Equine Photographer Sarah K. Andrew: www.rockandracehorses.com
Welcome! I inherited my love of music from my father and my horse-craziness from my mother and my grandmother. I grew up in New Jersey and have been riding, photographing, and studying horses since childhood. I competed in show jumping and dressage with my beloved first horse Alibhai's Alibar for almost two decades. Alibar lived a wonderful life and passed away in 2008 at the age of 29 due to lymphosarcoma.
My work reflects my deep understanding of the equine spirit as well as an appreciation for the timeless bond between horse and rider. Browse my photostream and you'll see my distinct, creative style in everything from exhilarating sport photography to tender candid moments.
As a horse racing photographer, I honed my skills on the staff of the Thoroughbred Daily News, worked as an assistant to the official track photographer for Monmouth Park and The Meadowlands, and was mentored by some of the top horse racing photographers in New York. When not riding or shooting at farms and the racetrack, you can find me in the front row photographing local and national musical performers—or my husband Jonathan's latest band.
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or inquiries. I'd love to hear from you. Please, no SIM or virtual stable requests.
Recently, my photos have been featured:
- In The Ultimate Horse Lover and The Ultimate Cat Lover, the newest collection from the publisher and authors who brought you the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. I'm the lead photographer and contributing writer for The Ultimate Horse Lover and a contributing photographer for The Ultimate Cat Lover.
Click Here to order The Ultimate Horse Lover
Click Here to order The Ultimate Cat Lover
- In the New York Times
- In USA Today
- On the cover of AQHA Journal
- On the cover of Monmouth Park's 2008 racing program
- In advertisements for Prudential Financial
- On the cover of Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred
- In the 2008 Belmont Stakes program
- On display at the Center for Fine Art Photography in Fort Collins, CO in the All Things Horses Exhibition
- In Reins Magazine
- On www.TheHorse.com
- In the Daily Racing Form
- In The Florida Horse
- In the Thoroughbred Daily News
- In American Turf Monthly
- Best in Show winner of the 2008 Equine Ideal Contest
- Winner of the 2007 Final Turn Photo Contest
- In the 2008 Final Turn Horse Racing Calendar
- In Impulsion: Magazine of the British Equestrian Federation: www.impulsiononline.com
- In Equine Wellness Magazine
- On the album art and websites of local bands including: Echofission, Particle Zoo, Hey Tiger, Jigmakers, and Souls' Release.
- In the Equine Photographers' 2007 Equine Ideal Photography Contest
- Advertisements in The Chronicle of the Horse
- Advertisements in Hunter and Sport Horse
- In Upstage Magazine
- In Fran Jurga's Hoofblog: hoofcare.blogspot.com
- In videos distributed by Atlantic Pictures
- Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation's website and ads: www.trfinc.org
- Best of Equine Photography 2,144 photos, 172 members
- NTRA 5,759 photos, 105 members
- lightning bug 236 photos, 57 members
- Andalusian, Lusitano, Lippizaner, Fresian HORSES 645 photos, 139 members
- Zenyatta 278 photos, 35 members
- rotoballe 9,625 photos, 3,023 members
- Our Own Heroes( Animals Only) 46 photos, 19 members
- Equestrian Photographer 2,993 photos, 178 members
- Top 10 Horse 1,081 photos, 70 members
- Monmouth Park Racetrack Photography 355 photos, 32 members
- Horses at sunset 88 photos, 33 members
- Addicted to Animals* Post 1 Award 2* NO PEOPLE! 16,365 photos, 1,167 members
- _Siluet_ 769 photos, 341 members
- Four Legged Photography 33 photos, 11 members
- 20+ to 29 Favorites: Cats (COMMENTING REQUIRED) 1,461 photos, 803 members
- Del Mar Racetrack 543 photos, 43 members
- Dog's Life Magazine 14,733 photos, 866 members
- Little Lambs 2,633 photos, 577 members
- Hollywood Park Racetrack 794 photos, 35 members
- trot and gallop 16,490 photos, 516 members
- The Rembermence of Horses 22 photos, 7 members
- Hand Selected Photographs 72,830 photos, 2,304 members
- Santa Anita Park 2,925 photos, 48 members
- Art Of Horses... P1 1award 161 photos, 32 members
- A Little Beauty - invitation Only (post 1 comment 2) 18,938 photos, 3,316 members
- Puggles Anyone? 579 photos, 74 members
- Bugs (boston terrier - pug cross dogs) 964 photos, 127 members
- NYC Puggles 10 photos, 9 members
- Pug Life 11,124 photos, 1,252 members
- Puggles 2,442 photos, 357 members
- Puggle Parents Online 62 photos, 20 members
- Puggle Pictures! 403 photos, 66 members
- Now THAT'S a Mug Shot! (ANIMALS) 4,399 photos, 709 members
- Horse With Cool Markings 10 photos, 5 members
- Paint Horses 16 photos, 3 members
- Loving Longears Mules, Burros and Donkeys 783 photos, 233 members
- Crowd Shots (At Concerts) 6,589 photos, 889 members
- The Thermals 604 photos, 82 members
- Your Best Horse Picture 82 photos, 77 members
- Alex Brown Racing 1,416 photos, 50 members
- Dogs - Exceptional Photos 1,428 photos, 996 members
- Precious Pet 100+ Views (invited photos only - comment on 1) 6,846 photos, 1,248 members
- Animals, You Say? (post one/comment one) 1,669 photos, 279 members
- A Horse and Dog Lovers world! 2,542 photos, 66 members
- Monmouth Park Racetrack 669 photos, 32 members
- Raceday 360 6,110 photos, 77 members
- Dragon Dagger Awards **Admin Invite Only** Voting Gallery 170 60,566 photos, 7,935 members
- Awsome! 31 photos, 36 members
- Warmblood Pictures 57 photos, 19 members
- Geoff's Award Of Total Awesomeness!(Invited Images Only Please) 1,999 photos, 827 members
"Like everyone else who has posted a testimonial for Sarah, I too am taken with her equine photography. She understands her subject matter to such depth that even the simplest head shot she takes has so much personality you feel like you know the horse. And when the horse starts moving, there is nobody better than Sarah at capturing the action. Here racetrack photography makes me feel closer to the sport than I ever could other wise. And she balances the competition shots with the touching backside track moments. She takes time to watch the exercise riders and the grooms at work. Through her photos, she demonstrates the quality of work they do to make the sport happen. I appreciate her willingness to get up so early in the morning to capture those beautiful misty morning times when the horses and riders seem magical. Sarah’s photos, her amazing backgrounds and setting; her understanding movement; and her ability to capture the subjects’ character, makes me more aware of what a great photographer can do with a camera."
9th September, 2008
"Sarah was one of the people that have inspired me to take up Equine Photography and further my skills in general, From seeing her beautiful uploads that obviously show her skills. I have always admired her work and would love to follow in her footsteps. Just a small Thank you for being such an inspiring woman :]!"
30th July, 2008
"Sarah is without a doubt one of the best photographers of horses I've ever encountered. Her stunning and beautiful photos catch my heart and soul. Even if you are not a fan of horse racing or equine beauty, her photos will thrill you."
11th July, 2008
EASY GOER says:
"Having shot with the best photographers in the horse game, I can honestly say that Sarah is one the best pure equine photographers I have seen. Her work speaks for itself and anyone interested in this hobby/profession should study her photos to see how to capture thoroughbreds in all their beauty.---Jason Moran aka Easy Goer"
20th May, 2008
"She was the one who inspired me too start attempting photography. what with her skills, anyone would love to give it a shot... =]
Her photography is amazing...wonderful....marvellous and what ever other good word that can be used... =]
When I take a pic, I always think of her shots, dream that one of mine would turn out like hers..... but it never happens.....
I would say, in a short time, she will be a VERY successful and famous photographer..^^
Shes a very talented and lucky lady =]
Im very jealous........ hehe
18th February, 2008
"As an up and coming equine photographer, Sarah Andrews is my role model.
I am a very critical as a photographer and rarely look at anyone's work (especially a pro's) without finding something "wrong" with it. However, I idolize Sarah's work...I have yet to find ANYTHING to gripe about in ANY of her photos!"
13th February, 2008
"Sarah has been an inspiration for me in my own pitiful endeavors at equine photography. I have had the great pleasure of her photographing my equines, and have been simply thrilled with the results."
12th February, 2008
"I am completely, totally, and absolutely thrilled with the horse and dog portraits Sarah did for me. I've followed her work for several years now and am always impressed. She has an incredible (and patient) eye for that perfect shot!"
12th February, 2008
"What an eye for equine photography! To capture the action, use available lighting, all with an animal moving very quickly AND make that image a work of art is difficult, and she gets it done!"
11th January, 2008
Rafal Bergman says:
"Unparalleled horse photographer with a great eye for animal photography, but also (a rare combination) huge sensitivity for excellent people portraits."
10th January, 2008
Obedient Muse says:
"Rock and Racehorses has been inspirational to my equine art! I check back with her work periodically and am NEVER disappointed. I also notice we comment or appreciate some of the same images, this I secretly (not so now) have patted myself on the back for."
4th January, 2008
"Sarah blows me away with her captures. To be able to live the life she does riding some of the most beautiful horses in the world. Her other shots are great also. I always wonder what's coming next. She doesn't stay on one topic of shooting that long even with her huge love of the animals."
22nd October, 2007
"Not being at all familiar with thoroughbreds and actually having been a bit suspicious of the sport, these pictures really reveal the beauty of thoroughbred racing. I wish one day I could do the same for the trotting sport and standardbreds :)"
24th September, 2007
"Sarah's breathtaking photos take me to a place I've never been to, that exciting world of thoroughbreds and racetracks. When I feel my pulse quicken looking at her beautiful images, that is the sign of an accomplished photographer."
19th September, 2007
Agape FCR says:
"What an amazing eye!! Sarah's love of anything equine radiates through her photographs. I feel such joy viewing her images and I love logging in to flickr to see her newest creations!!"
3rd September, 2007
"I am usually amazed and astounded at the intimate little moments caught and the clever stories that get told in her photos..."
30th August, 2007
Caitlin Shann says:
"I want to Favorite every one of Sarah's pics. I've been riding horses since I was a child, and she consistently shows me beauty I haven't seen before. A true talent."
19th July, 2007
"One of the best equine photographers I have ever seen in this business!"
10th July, 2007
"Some of the best horse photos I have ever seen, and now the main source of inspiration for my drawings.
Her work is simply excellent, and amazing in all regards."
27th May, 2007
"I never miss anything she posts. Sarah is an extremely talented photographer with a keen understanding and eye for her subjects."
22nd May, 2007
"Some of the best photos of horses I have seen. Nice work!"
21st December, 2006
"An extremely talented photographer! Horse fan or not, these photos are a MUST SEE!"
26th November, 2006
"Sarah is awesome. I've loved watching her work progress over the past couple of years. I don't think I'll ever forget Iselin Day '04 in the pouring rain!"
18th September, 2006
"Don't miss this , it is a must-see for any racing fan. ,those who probably don't know or care anything about horse racing, maybe then they will understand your obsession.
1st January, 2006
- Sarah K. Andrew
- April 2005
- Howell, NJ
- Red Bank, NJ, USA
- I Love My Job