I want to travel and take photos.
Twitter: Follow @BethanyHelzer
Instagram handle: riotjane
If it wasn't for the frequent antique mall excursions my parents took me on as a child, I might be a totally different person. Even our family vacations were planned around where we could find good shops. Needless to say, I've held on to it my whole life.
Half of my work reflects the world of the forgotten. Growing up near Detroit, there was no shortage of this. Once I entered my 20's, the area provided me with the perfect balance of the Great Outdoors, and city life. Mostly I found myself intrigued by the beautiful architecture of a city in neglect, and wanted to document it before it all disappeared. Sometimes I found myself too busy going through all of the materials that people had left behind and forgot that I was there with the purpose of taking photographs.
I've taken a lot of slack from people because I choose to do this. "Ruin Porn" is a word that people like to throw around. This isn't exploitation. It's appreciation of something that is almost extinct.
Now that I live in Madison, Wisconsin, there isn't so much decay, except for the rural variety. I have been focusing more on my nature portfolio and hopefully soon, my fine art portrait work.
Canon Rebel XTi, and Canon 7D
- University of Wisconsin Arboretum 187 photos, 23 members
- Lensbaby 73,768 photos, 9,341 members
- Wisconsin Urbex 460 photos, 69 members
- 'RoidWeek 2013 3,072 photos, 1,021 members
- Architecture 1,267,153 photos, 73,862 members
- Cream City:: Milwaukee, Wisconsin 37,477 photos, 1,936 members
- Minimalism 180,664 photos, 19,183 members
- Negative Space 33,946 photos, 3,720 members
- The Nature Conservancy 583,183 photos, 34,626 members
- Lighthouses of the World 65,484 photos, 10,619 members
- Best of U.S. National Parks 11,512 photos, 1,851 members
- Michigan Cover Photos 2,198 photos, 110 members
- PopPhoto.com Photo of the Day 50,119 photos, 2,335 members
- U.S. National Forests 15,825 photos, 1,027 members
- U.S. National Parks 129,215 photos, 12,532 members
- Flickr Friday 6,114 photos, 10,267 members
- NASA's GPM "Unique Perspectives" Contest 835 photos, 408 members
- Instant Film 55,424 photos, 2,675 members
- Once was home 32,593 photos, 1,302 members
- Shutter Photo @ Flickr 11,402 photos, 307 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 6,156 photos, 7,119 members
- City Skylines 20,684 photos, 2,036 members
- THE IMPOSSIBLE PROJECT 114,722 photos, 8,112 members
- Wisconsin 86,534 photos, 2,934 members
- Wisconsin State Natural Areas 2,391 photos, 99 members
- Madison Flickrmeets 2,559 photos, 422 members
- Madison, Wisconsin 41,503 photos, 2,174 members
- fpoe (Female Photographers of Etsy) 896 photos, 129 members
- The Red Room of Aggression 44 photos, 11 members
- The Fucking Awesomefest!!! 4,235 photos, 127 members
- The Digital Visual - Week in Reader Photos 18,915 photos, 1,277 members
- Engagement Shots 29,080 photos, 4,214 members
- E-sessions (engagement sessions) 32,384 photos, 4,454 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,690 photos, 14,629 members
- Metro Times 7,150 photos, 262 members
- Carnivals & Amusement Parks 28,297 photos, 2,792 members
- bokeh 192,637 photos, 37,063 members
- Exposure.Detroit at The Woodbridge Pub 7 photos, 22 members
- Doors and Windows in Decay 13,966 photos, 5,103 members
- through a glass, darkly 64,952 photos, 10,090 members
- The Light Fantastic 600,553 photos, 30,058 members
- Atlantic City 6,002 photos, 484 members
- RUSTY and CRUSTY 334,805 photos, 27,450 members
- Cloud Junkie 277,105 photos, 25,241 members
- square (don't post the not square photo) 136,183 photos, 5,668 members
- Chicago Reader 167,476 photos, 3,994 members
- Barista Competition Photography 2,094 photos, 93 members
- FEMALE PORTRAIT 94,264 photos, 6,149 members
- Female Self-Portrait Artists' Support Group (FSPASG) 4,438 photos, 281 members
- South-East Michigan Photographers 2,165 photos, 142 members
"I can't say enough about Bethany and her mad skills. She is truly an artistic voice and constantly produces quality images that are detailed and have beautiful whimsy stitched into every pixel."
23rd April, 2009
* Photos by Chris M * says:
"I have followed Bethany's stream since the beginning of my own 365 experiment. She takes some of the most wonderful photos I have ever seen. Her photos are packed with meaning and emotion that draw you into each one.
As she is now finishing up her own 365, I am getting sad at the fact that I might not get to see a self-portrait each day from her. But I know her passion will keep her taking photos and posting.
So if you have not yet looked at her stream, please stop reading this and go look now."
29th October, 2008
daily pleasure says:
"Bethany is a pure joy. Her photography captures a unique quality and reveals it in a whole new way – her style is very natural and creative. She brightens my day and I always look forward to seeing what she does next. :)"
20th October, 2008
beth retro says:
"i love riot jane's stream of photos. it always amazes me how it just gets better and better. full of creative imagination, she comes up with fabulous ideas and puts them into practice so elegantly. needless to say, i'm a big fan!"
29th August, 2008
Stephen Poff says:
"Always very colorful and often humorous, riot jane's photostream is a treat to visit.
She gives you just enough info on what's going on, both visually and with her comments, that she has you begging for more. She's a lot like a soap opera in that fashion.
She often photographs her Covers "All Stars", which is enough to make her tops in my book. I look forward to seeing much more of her photos in the future."
19th February, 2008
- Bethany Helzer
- January 2007
- Maybee, MI
- Madison, WI - Detroit, MI, USA
- I am:
- Female and Taken