Most of the time I work as a teacher, a job I enjoy, but for real relaxation I love to head out with my camera. Sometimes I get no further than my garden - which is a haven for wildlife (a euphemism for somewhat unkempt); other times I'll visit local nature reserves and woods.
My main interest is photographing insects and I have a real soft spot for ladybirds and moths. I try to run a moth trap in my garden at least once a week, time and weather conditions permitting.
I nearly always shoot handheld and using natural light, mainly because I prefer how that looks, but also because I really can't be doing with the palaver of tripods and flashes. There are times, however, that I know I've missed opportunities because of inadequate light and so perhaps one day I'll venture into the mysterious world of supplementary lighting.
I have two teenage children who tend to resist my efforts to persuade them to join me on nature bimbles. Waiting for ages while Mum photographs yet another beetle is probably not the most exciting way to spend their time! There's hope for them yet, though... I used to get dragged out on nature rambles by my parents, which I didn't always appreciate at the time. Little did I realise then that those childhood experiences would have such a lasting effect on my life.
Apart from nature stuff, my big loves are my family, our wildlife garden - and Rebel and Dippy, our retired greyhounds.
I now have a site, Nutmeg's Wildlife Photography, where I have gathered some of my favourite photographic efforts.
If you're interested in British wildlife I recommend visiting Wild About Britain.
A great site for finding out about and sharing what you've seen in the way of moths is Back Garden Moths
My gardening adventures can be followed on Folia:
Photos of nutmeg66 (1)
- Moth Monday 175 photos, 46 members
- Buglife bug photography competition 1,180 photos, 241 members
- Nature library 453 photos, 86 members
- Mecoptera - scorpionflies, hangingflies... 50 photos, 7 members
- BBC Autumnwatch 143,113 photos, 12,601 members
- Wild Bees and Wasps of Europe (NO Honey Bees PLEASE) 15,391 photos, 1,081 members
- Lincolnshire Lepidoptera 700 photos, 20 members
- Sony α NEX 227,311 photos, 10,530 members
- British Plant Galls and their Causers 724 photos, 35 members
- Butterflies and Moths of Great Britain- Time to vote! 29,303 photos, 1,217 members
- Elite Bugs 3,993 photos, 325 members
- Wasps 8,226 photos, 1,509 members
- Lincolnshire Beetles 1,192 photos, 29 members
- SoloReflex 63,992 photos, 1,744 members
- Insects in your hand! 2,575 photos, 523 members
- UK Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars 22,415 photos, 924 members
- Plant Galls 1,413 photos, 141 members
- Order: Lepidoptera 3,849 photos, 71 members
- Caught in a Moth Trap! 5,949 photos, 79 members
- Better Than Good - Level 5 (p1/a5) 6,081 photos, 1,172 members
- BBC Springwatch (Official) 258,709 photos, 23,767 members
- BBC Winterwatch 81,608 photos, 5,300 members
- Moths, Bugs and Butterflies 859 photos, 8 members
- Canon 7D Digital SLR 343,991 photos, 9,963 members
- Insect activity (Invite only) 431 photos, 147 members
- "Quality Only" Ladybug Club 1,757 photos, 1,643 members
- National Nature Reserves (UK) 3,854 photos, 210 members
- Entomopathogenic Fungi 598 photos, 139 members
- Color Photo Award - GOLD -- **Qualified photos only** 3,532 photos, 760 members
- Bugs On Bugs 1,039 photos, 208 members
- 1on1/2on2POW!!! [& POD & FP] You Belong Here!!!! 10,855 photos, 662 members
- Macro Viewers 103,532 photos, 4,824 members
- Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire 61 photos, 20 members
- Clydesdales 996 photos, 174 members
- Canon EOS 40D Users 481,208 photos, 17,461 members
- A Pic a Day Project 2,888 photos, 18 members
- Artistic and High Quality Macro (ADMIN Invite only) ~AWARD 5~ 14,787 photos, 3,744 members
- Ichneumons 569 photos, 85 members
- Birds and Wildlife UK 374,483 photos, 11,341 members
- Nature's Bargain Bucket 1,722 photos, 357 members
- Macro Marvels (Invite only) Post 1 Comment 2 67,330 photos, 10,630 members
- Dragonfly Gallery - P1 C1 please 49,316 photos, 5,035 members
- Red for the People of Burma 24,483 photos, 2,823 members
- U.K. and Ireland's Hoverflies (Syrphidae) 4,663 photos, 210 members
- British Beetles 8,423 photos, 402 members
- ONE PHOTO 13,113 photos, 1,162 members
- British Mammals 14,525 photos, 567 members
- NATURE'S BEST 867,152 photos, 22,215 members
- Asilidae (Robberflies) 2,282 photos, 243 members
- Canon Powershot a640 weekly contest - "Looking Up" & "Summer 1,248 photos, 126 members
Lord Cuauhtli says:
"Rachel!!! it have been wondefull to know you throuugh your photostream!!! i am always surprised all your bug's life macros! when i look at them i always think "do we really have THAT in the earth?"... mother's nature always is expressed in a beauty way in your pictures!.... thanks for your friendship that i have been enjoying all this time!! THANKS!"
9th February, 2008
"I have to say that each time I look at nutmeg66's stream I really enjoy myself. She loves nature and puts everything into providing superb images for us all to see.
Thank you for such a wonderful stream and long may you keep us all enthralled.
16th December, 2007
Scott Leach says:
"Well I have never met Rachel but I avidly look for the next photo of hers in my contacts. She really does have an amazing eye for a macro shot and it's certainly no fluke as she pulls out wonderful shot after wonderful shot. The clarity, colours and exceptional DoF in her pictures never ceases to amaze. I just wish I knew quite how she manages to spot so many wierd and wonderful insects!"
26th November, 2007
"I am very lucky to have discovered Rachel's photostream as her photos are stunning. Also she is kind and considerate and always comments on other peoples photos. I am glad to have met her and enjoy viewing her awesome images, long may she continue."
6th August, 2007
"Rachel is a very gifted photographer. She takes the most exceptional macro images of insects. I am in awe of her photographic skills and always look forward to her posting new images.
Thank you for sharing them with us and keep them coming !!"
10th June, 2007
"I'm amazed with the results you get in your photos. Your nature shots are incredible. Many users of expensive DSLR's must be hanging their heads in shame. I hope you continue to inspire."
27th May, 2007
- May 2005
- Nutmeg's Wildlife Photography