Most of the time I work as a teacher, a job I enjoy, but for real relaxation I love to head out with my camera. Sometimes I get no further than my garden - which is a haven for wildlife (a euphemism for somewhat unkempt); other times I'll visit local nature reserves and woods.
My main interest is photographing insects and I have a real soft spot for ladybirds and moths. I try to run a moth trap in my garden at least once a week, time and weather conditions permitting.
I nearly always shoot handheld and using natural light, mainly because I prefer how that looks, but also because I really can't be doing with the palaver of tripods and flashes. There are times, however, that I know I've missed opportunities because of inadequate light and so perhaps one day I'll venture into the mysterious world of supplementary lighting.
I have two teenage children who tend to resist my efforts to persuade them to join me on nature bimbles. Waiting for ages while Mum photographs yet another beetle is probably not the most exciting way to spend their time! There's hope for them yet, though... I used to get dragged out on nature rambles by my parents, which I didn't always appreciate at the time. Little did I realise then that those childhood experiences would have such a lasting effect on my life.
Apart from nature stuff, my big loves are my family, our wildlife garden - and Rebel and Dippy, our retired greyhounds.
I now have a site, Nutmeg's Wildlife Photography, where I have gathered some of my favourite photographic efforts.
If you're interested in British wildlife I recommend visiting Wild About Britain.
A great site for finding out about and sharing what you've seen in the way of moths is Back Garden Moths
My gardening adventures can be followed on Folia:
Photos of nutmeg66 (1)
- Moth Monday 296 photos, 49 members
- Buglife bug photography competition 1,180 photos, 240 members
- Nature library 483 photos, 88 members
- Mecoptera - scorpionflies, hangingflies... 50 photos, 8 members
- BBC Autumnwatch 142,803 photos, 12,627 members
- Wild Bees and Wasps of Europe (NO Honey Bees PLEASE) 15,450 photos, 1,092 members
- Lincolnshire Lepidoptera 700 photos, 20 members
- Sony α NEX 241,199 photos, 10,854 members
- British Plant Galls and their Causers 748 photos, 38 members
- Butterflies and Moths of Great Britain- Winner Announced! 30,080 photos, 1,260 members
- Elite Bugs 4,164 photos, 327 members
- Wasps 8,349 photos, 1,524 members
- Lincolnshire Beetles 1,236 photos, 29 members
- SoloReflex 68,094 photos, 1,806 members
- Insects in your hand! 2,661 photos, 524 members
- UK Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars 23,024 photos, 947 members
- Plant Galls 1,476 photos, 144 members
- Order: Lepidoptera 4,308 photos, 71 members
- Caught in a Moth Trap! 6,272 photos, 78 members
- Better Than Good - Level 5 (p1/a5) 6,320 photos, 1,206 members
- BBC Springwatch (Official) 259,104 photos, 23,887 members
- BBC Winterwatch 105,238 photos, 6,174 members
- Moths, Bugs and Butterflies 876 photos, 9 members
- Canon 7D Digital SLR 354,515 photos, 10,029 members
- Insect activity (Invite only) 440 photos, 149 members
- "Quality Only" Ladybug Club 1,761 photos, 1,667 members
- National Nature Reserves (UK) 4,122 photos, 216 members
- Entomopathogenic Fungi 602 photos, 146 members
- Color Photo Award - GOLD -- **Qualified photos only** 3,545 photos, 760 members
- Bugs On Bugs 1,096 photos, 208 members
- 1on1/2on2POW!!! [& POD & FP] You Belong Here!!!! 10,779 photos, 660 members
- Macro Viewers 105,822 photos, 4,908 members
- Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire 61 photos, 21 members
- Clydesdales 1,009 photos, 178 members
- Canon EOS 40D Users 484,064 photos, 17,509 members
- A Pic a Day Project 2,888 photos, 18 members
- Artistic and High Quality Macro (ADMIN Invite only) ~AWARD 5~ 14,751 photos, 3,741 members
- Ichneumons 580 photos, 87 members
- Birds and Wildlife UK 385,789 photos, 11,412 members
- Nature's Bargain Bucket 1,894 photos, 378 members
- Macro Marvels (Invite only) Post 1 Comment 2 67,516 photos, 10,603 members
- Dragonfly Gallery - P1 C1 Voting OPEN 49,973 photos, 5,071 members
- Red for the People of Burma 24,638 photos, 2,816 members
- U.K. and Ireland's Hoverflies (Syrphidae) 4,678 photos, 211 members
- British Beetles 8,510 photos, 403 members
- ONE PHOTO 13,316 photos, 1,163 members
- British Mammals 15,213 photos, 585 members
- NATURE'S BEST 885,986 photos, 22,468 members
- Asilidae (Robberflies) 2,274 photos, 245 members
- Canon Powershot a640 weekly contest - "Looking Up" & "Summer 1,248 photos, 125 members
Lord Cuauhtli says:
"Rachel!!! it have been wondefull to know you throuugh your photostream!!! i am always surprised all your bug's life macros! when i look at them i always think "do we really have THAT in the earth?"... mother's nature always is expressed in a beauty way in your pictures!.... thanks for your friendship that i have been enjoying all this time!! THANKS!"
9th February, 2008
"I have to say that each time I look at nutmeg66's stream I really enjoy myself. She loves nature and puts everything into providing superb images for us all to see.
Thank you for such a wonderful stream and long may you keep us all enthralled.
16th December, 2007
Scott Leach says:
"Well I have never met Rachel but I avidly look for the next photo of hers in my contacts. She really does have an amazing eye for a macro shot and it's certainly no fluke as she pulls out wonderful shot after wonderful shot. The clarity, colours and exceptional DoF in her pictures never ceases to amaze. I just wish I knew quite how she manages to spot so many wierd and wonderful insects!"
26th November, 2007
"I am very lucky to have discovered Rachel's photostream as her photos are stunning. Also she is kind and considerate and always comments on other peoples photos. I am glad to have met her and enjoy viewing her awesome images, long may she continue."
6th August, 2007
"Rachel is a very gifted photographer. She takes the most exceptional macro images of insects. I am in awe of her photographic skills and always look forward to her posting new images.
Thank you for sharing them with us and keep them coming !!"
10th June, 2007
"I'm amazed with the results you get in your photos. Your nature shots are incredible. Many users of expensive DSLR's must be hanging their heads in shame. I hope you continue to inspire."
27th May, 2007
- May 2005
- Nutmeg's Wildlife Photography