In a sense, everything that exists has evolved, and nothing has been created. Even though we may think that our table or motor car or computer is the product of conscious design and has been created by human hands, we remember that we ourselves have evolved from the cosmic dust and we are progressing evolution by making artefacts which are as much a product of our biology as is our hair or our fingernails.
More.... is not necessarily better.
"War baby", rather lazy, well-travelled, learned photography using a Zeiss Contax. Very interested in complex systems, their development, and in the way biology "always wins".
from complexity digest . .
"One of the most important features of biology is the ability of organisms to persist in the face of changing conditions. Consider the remarkable fact that every organism alive today is the product of billions of generations in which its progenitors, without fail, managed to produce progeny that survived to reproduce. To achieve this consistency, organisms must have a balance between robustness and evolvability, that is, between resisting and allowing change in their own internal states"
From "Five Questions" Carlos Gershenson ISBN 8792130135
"How would you define complexity?"
I think that it is what characterises all open, evolved, systems where the structure has emerged through self organisation
see also www.flickr.com/photos/drlopezfranco/2236948768/
for biology winning in the long term.
see also Nature putting right the upset caused by Humans
PETER SHAW clambers over an ash pile outside one of the UK's larger power stations. I follow as he treads carefully to avoid the profusion of orchids, tests the thin soil for signs of earthworms, and lifts a metal sheet, revealing a grass snake and a slow-worm. No adders today, but they are here somewhere.
This is Tilbury, east of London. It is one of hundreds of forgotten biological treasures in the UK's "brownfield badlands". The nation that gave birth to the industrial revolution is now the home of a remarkable wildlife revival on these old industrial sites.
- Vision sound 25,725 photos, 1,580 members
- Radioamateur 951 photos, 50 members
- Postage Stamps and Postmarks 4,037 photos, 141 members
- Guildford Photographic Society 602 photos, 40 members
- Revive your best old photos! 1,871 photos, 139 members
- CARS - السيارات - 車 - Autos - coches - автомоб 477,257 photos, 6,365 members
- Bells, Cloches, Glocken, Sinos 368 photos, 21 members
- Collect London 2012 722 photos, 75 members
- ★ Globes, Maps and Flags ★Contest Voting Open in Thread 491 photos, 507 members
- Post Offices 4,319 photos, 223 members
- women in ties 1,964 photos, 2,087 members
- Comfort Food 32,078 photos, 685 members
- WORLD MINING HERITAGE ⚒ 22,372 photos, 567 members
- VisitEngland Images 632 photos, 143 members
- B&W surfaces & textures [post and AWARD 3 !!!] 2,530 photos, 253 members
- Magic Square 524 photos, 100 members
- Pinwheel 2,165 photos, 198 members
- Perspective 37,285 photos, 4,387 members
- Canadiana. 288 photos, 20 members
- Roses - Rosas (Max. 3 pictures per day) 14,906 photos, 2,168 members
- Hamsters, hamsters, and more hamsters! 2,280 photos, 238 members
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V 9,255 photos, 568 members
- A better life for parrots 931 photos, 84 members
- I Ate This 563,750 photos, 32,699 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 431,742 photos, 100,489 members
- Views: 5000 8,750 photos, 3,967 members
- Views: 4000 4,378 photos, 3,057 members
- cocoa coffe and chocolate 53 photos, 13 members
- Gallery of Electronics 1,239 photos, 213 members
- Flickrrr **( Post.1 Award.5)** 44,949 photos, 2,790 members
- Group with Ҽxperience 1,638,462 photos, 224,855 members
- BBC Springwatch (Official) 258,711 photos, 23,768 members
- gramophone - phonograph - record-player - radiogram etc. 2,962 photos, 293 members
- Poetry and Photographs, not just photographs. 19,502 photos, 2,641 members
- Australia trip 25,062 photos, 839 members
- QSL 2,622 photos, 152 members
- Cafes, Coffee Houses, Burger Joints, Food Carts. 45,125 photos, 2,475 members
- B&W FLICKR - P&B FLICKR 69,403 photos, 4,639 members
- General weather pictures 2,620 photos, 206 members
- VisitEngland 9,629 photos, 459 members
- Aurora chasers 1,287 photos, 218 members
- Concertina, Melodeon, and Accordion - Squeezebox Corner! 469 photos, 97 members
- Random & Creative shots 232,707 photos, 11,513 members
- The Physics Classroom Flickr Group 2,531 photos, 268 members
- Vintage Portraiture 22,305 photos, 895 members
- Antique Photographs 54,051 photos, 1,536 members
- *Foodielicious* 58,919 photos, 1,690 members
- Calculators: Electronic or Mechanical 1,253 photos, 50 members
- NATURË / P1 & A2 80,585 photos, 3,833 members
- Classic Vehicles - Young and Old 84,796 photos, 804 members
Martin Beek says:
"David has a lot of thought provoking work in his stream, there seems to be a very keen eye and mind behind it all. Something to ponder upon and feed the imagination."
22nd January, 2009
- May 2005
- I am:
- Male and Taken