My name is Dave Wild. I had a few film cameras and digital cameras in the earlier parts of my life but it wasn't until 2003 that I really started taking a lot of photos. I discovered Flickr not long after it launched but initially didn't get it. When I eventually signed up in early 2005 it soon became apparent that the real value of Flickr was the social element. Since then I've met a lot of Flickr users in real life, become good friends with some of them and I've done all sorts of silly things that I wouldn't have done without the involvement of Flickr!
In recent years I've accidentally fallen into a specialization of photographing domestic animals - hopefully with a bit of personality or character. I try to present a kind and calm demeanour to the animals when I photograph them and try to keep them happy. The animals that enjoy the attention and are at ease around me are the ones that tend to look happy in the resulting photos.
These days I use a Fujifilm X-E1 and a Ricoh GR Digital IV.
Photos credits for the images above (all links go to the original images):
1st row (L-R): tommytoolhire, austenhaines, jonbradbury, Verrico
2nd Row (L-R): jonbradbury, jonbradbury, Tricky, jonbradbury
3rd Row (L-R): Me!, Me!, Me!
- All Animal Close-Ups 13,409 photos, 447 members
- Barrowhill Roundhouse Railway Centre. 3,676 photos, 106 members
- Notturnal (Nottinghamshire at Night) 5,189 photos, 288 members
- Farm Animals & Working Horses 9,607 photos, 770 members
- FUJIFILM X WORLD 3,006 photos, 196 members
- Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire Photographers 1,854 photos, 77 members
- 365 Days Project 433,438 photos, 8,591 members
- Fujinon XF35mm F1.4 15,475 photos, 860 members
- Fuji X-E1 by Fujifilm 27,681 photos, 1,856 members
- Fujifilm X-Pro/X-mount cameras 31,959 photos, 1,340 members
- 100 Strangers 35,250 photos, 8,928 members
- White Post Farm Farnsfield 75 photos, 10 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 141,765 photos, 6,706 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 4 / GRD IV 18,730 photos, 1,043 members
- Nottinghamshire Cemeteries, Graveyards and Memorials 1,533 photos, 105 members
- Photographers of Nottingham 34,271 photos, 662 members
- Peak District National Park 42,803 photos, 2,588 members
- Leeds 52,802 photos, 2,849 members
- Chickens ROCK!! 13,720 photos, 1,861 members
- Traditional Farm Animals 14,934 photos, 2,112 members
- Llamas! 2,080 photos, 670 members
- Bestwood Country Park 381 photos, 21 members
- Alpacas 4,047 photos, 654 members
- Orange Bikes 1,262 photos, 139 members
- Ginger Cows 645 photos, 185 members
- I Love Goats 6,404 photos, 1,017 members
- Goats! Goats! Goats! 13,661 photos, 2,798 members
- Cows 392 photos, 74 members
- a Day In the Life Of ... [21st June 2013] 10,956 photos, 7,414 members
- Nottingham Flickr Group Walks 264 photos, 19 members
- Trig Points 1,749 photos, 227 members
- Beasts of Burden 766 photos, 144 members
- Obsessive sheep photographers 12,800 photos, 2,046 members
- Sheep 26,297 photos, 5,509 members
- Derbyshire 45,813 photos, 1,419 members
- RICOH GX100 Square 6,586 photos, 301 members
- Mansfield notts 1,063 photos, 103 members
- GeoCaching 19,531 photos, 2,060 members
- (mostly) Ducks 40,536 photos, 5,043 members
- Celebrate the Cow 31,622 photos, 7,027 members
- Converted Digital Infrared Cameras 24,003 photos, 1,818 members
- Infrared UK & Ireland 4,644 photos, 615 members
- Sheffield 36,448 photos, 2,032 members
- Bovinity 173 photos, 31 members
- SuperSampler 20,527 photos, 2,505 members
- Yorkshire Dales (National Park) 20,809 photos, 1,478 members
- B&WPIX (1/day) 93,176 photos, 4,089 members
- National Trust 51,080 photos, 4,248 members
- Nottingham, UK 42,285 photos, 1,916 members
- Clumber Park, Nottinghamshire 2,962 photos, 251 members
"Inspirational and aspirational piccies. His obsession with farmyard animals may worry some, whilst making others go "ahh", but just reflects his humour and interest in the Archers."
1st September, 2008
Paul M. Robinson says:
"Dave Wild, popularly known as 'publicenergy' has been a favourite of mine since discovering Flickr back in October 2006. After receiving his book today from Blurb I felt compelled to write something about this man and his photographic talent. Flickr serves as an excellent showcase of Dave's work and his prolific output never ceases to amaze, inspire and amuse. He has a unique vision and in my mind he's one of the unsung heroes of Flickr."
16th April, 2008
"I briefly met publicenergy at the Big UK flickr meet, exchanged MOO cards and didn't think much of it then.. once home and having seen his infamous buddy icon, I kept seeing him absolutely everywhere! In the comments of random photos, all sorts of group forums and heck, even on the web..! Not to mention the front page of EXPLORE a couple of times.
All in all, If someone asked me to show them a "good" photographer in flickr, publicenergy would probably be in the top 3."
3rd September, 2007
"Dave has to be for sure one of flickrs best photographers ,
he has a real skill for making everyday shots interesting with his breathtaking infrared and creative lomo photography."
30th August, 2007
Jen (Chick Dastardly) says:
"Awesome pics. Mighty lomographs. Top flickrite. Love it when his photos pop up in my contacts pics - keep 'em coming kidda!
...plus he's got healthy respeck for da dawg - very good sign....."
15th May, 2007
tricky (rick harrison) says:
"Dave's photos are always a treat, and always with an interesting creative slant that keeps bringing me back. He's also a master of Infra-Red, and I'm deeply in his debt for inspiring me to give it a go too :-)
Now, if only he'd smile more ;-)"
29th January, 2007
Psycho Crow says:
"From amazing IR imagery through muddy faced self portraits to zany antics with novelty crockery, this guy knows how to produce pleasing images whilst still challenging the established boundaries of photography. Not only a great photographer, but a jolly nice chap to boot, and someone I am happy to have shared a beer or two with."
28th January, 2007
"One of my top favorites on Flickr. His vision of England is a photographic realization of every dream I've had about the place."
23rd April, 2006
"publicenergy produces amazing images on a consistent level.
Definitely one of Flickr's most underrated photographers."
28th December, 2005
"Whether out for a ball breaking bike ride, or casting his eye around his home Dave seems to find an angle. With the shot in the can we get to enjoy his discovery here on flickr.
With his IR shots he often reaches for the sky and delivers, time and time again, superb BW's of a standard that inspires me and that I aspire too.
For someone who professes a dislike of self portraiture he need not be shy as his rugged good looks are rugged good looks!
Looking forward enthuisiastically to lots more of your shots."
17th December, 2005
"Serious style and awesome InfraRed shots are only the tip of the iceberg. PublicEnergy's photos are so sophisticated it makes my eyes bleed. I strongly suggest check 'em out."
5th July, 2005
- Dave Wild
- January 2005
- Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
- I am:
- IT Manager