Hello, my name is Sam!
I’ve been making photographs since I was a kid. My first camera was an old Nikon 35mm SLR, which my Dad taught me how to use. During college, my interest in photography continued to grow–I learned how to process my own film and make prints in the darkroom. When I eventually moved into digital, my passion for photography grew exponentially since I was free to experiment without the expense of film.
Early on, photography was exciting and fun and I still feel that same way today. The world we live in is so incredibly rich and visually interesting. I feel that photography makes me a more thoughtful observer–seeing things I would otherwise miss. With my photography I try and share something about myself, the places I’ve traveled, and the things which interest me. I hope you will enjoy seeing my work.
"Photography commands my interest because I am fascinated by the visual world. I don't know what I would do if I was struck blind! We live in such an incredibly rich and visually interesting world. I feel that photography makes me a more thoughtful observer--seeing things I might otherwise miss. With photography I hope to capture some of that visual richness and share it with other people."
If you are new to my work, I recommend starting with the "forgotten places" photoset. It is some of my favorite and most distinctive work.
Contact me if you're interested in licensing an image or buying a print.
Select photos available for sale at redbubble.
- CHRISTMAS*A Magical time of the year* 9,378 photos, 1,639 members
- Christmas All Year 1,744 photos, 292 members
- Young Photographers Network 924 photos, 253 members
- World Culture 79,066 photos, 3,455 members
- Indonesia Images 70,364 photos, 4,236 members
- Hinduism ॐ 2,930 photos, 301 members
- Light Paint 38,265 photos, 4,757 members
- Painting ... with Light 13,603 photos, 1,699 members
- Light Painting - The Real Deal 70,224 photos, 11,781 members
- Light painters create their own reality..... 30,047 photos, 3,151 members
- Light Painting/Graffiti 17,074 photos, 2,582 members
- Project Weather 107,977 photos, 31,593 members
- Autumn Whimsy 7,473 photos, 1,135 members
- Worldwide Photo Walk 2013 9,461 photos, 2,147 members
- Scott Kelby's Worldwide Photo Walk - Magna, UT United States 62 photos, 18 members
- ONDU Pinhole 151 photos, 69 members
- Best Photos of the World (Selected Images) 256 photos, 386 members
- Flickr Groups Preview 122 photos, 532 members
- Nikon D800 Users Group 181,735 photos, 10,010 members
- Deliberate Motion Blur: The Best of the Movers and Shakers! 23,348 photos, 2,689 members
- Bali Ceremony 2,603 photos, 257 members
- Bali Pictures 5,831 photos, 297 members
- Bali Images 29,862 photos, 2,279 members
- Bali Sightseeing 1,667 photos, 137 members
- Wedding Photographers 163,967 photos, 19,570 members
- Maya 14,184 photos, 1,388 members
- Belize 9,013 photos, 659 members
- Disney Theme Parks 58,026 photos, 1,995 members
- Disney Face Characters 17,805 photos, 649 members
- Disney California Adventure 10,546 photos, 676 members
- Film is not Dead!! 1,481,787 photos, 34,705 members
- Public Aquariums 6,618 photos, 745 members
- + Aquariums ( 水族箱,水族館 ) 17,661 photos, 2,242 members
- Aquarium 49,250 photos, 7,487 members
- Life Aquatic 46,211 photos, 3,632 members
- Living Planet Aquarium SLC 346 photos, 16 members
- Whale Watching 6,696 photos, 690 members
- Whales 9,189 photos, 2,186 members
- Todos Santos, Baja California Sur, Mexico 410 photos, 14 members
- .·.cOn CoLoR a MéXiCo.·. 26,604 photos, 829 members
- Baja California Sur, Mexico 2,859 photos, 240 members
- México: Pueblos Mágicos 2,397 photos, 182 members
- Cabo San Lucas 4,311 photos, 470 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 6,161 photos, 7,124 members
- The lilac Symphony, post 1 - award 3 15,909 photos, 3,079 members
- Historic Districts USA 5,663 photos, 210 members
- Historic Preservation 42,243 photos, 1,046 members
- FroKnowsPhoto.com 235,724 photos, 18,127 members
- Medieval Fairs and Festivals. 1,589 photos, 144 members
- The Great Gorilla's 3,482 photos, 530 members
"Sam and I met, by fate it seems. We both shared a passion for exploring abandoned structures & derelict buildings. One crazy day, a small local website brought us together... Now, several years and countless photography trips later, (how many tens or hundreds of thousands of shutter clicks is that?) we are still getting out, exploring and photographing that which brought us together... DECAY! It has been a long crazy trip, and it has been my pleasure to have my best friend Sam, by my side though it all. The stories we could tell... haha
Sam has a very creative view of the world we see every day. He can turn a scene of mundane every day nothingness, into something that really grabs you, and makes you look twice. His composition techniques, and lighting ideas are always fun and creative. Creating images that have that "draw" to them, whether it is due to the bright vivid colors, the framing, composition, post processing, or a combination of all the elements, Sam's photo's will be ones you will definitely enjoy.
Cheers Sam! Here's to many more years of good times, and good photographs!"
1st September, 2010
"Men like Mr. Scholes are a dying breed. Not content to shuffle through the mundane, well-kept, and "safe" constructions of the world he seeks out the derelict and decaying relics of our society. To the willing viewer he offers proof that the abandoned world is not devoid of beauty, but rather a vibrant and and insightful window into our history.
Take a page from his book and with an adventurous spirit get yourself lost somewhere; you will find that beauty abounds."
25th August, 2009
"Sam_ is a true master of the art of photography. He is a constant source of inspiration, and his knowledge of the hidden abandoned jewels is unmatched."
17th June, 2009
"This guy gets around...and when he gets there he finds a way to get places and take great picture. We haunt a lot of the same places but I have never seen most of what he photographs. Then he pulls out a fish-eye and makes things so dramatic. I love the old buildings and the interiors. Like I say...I have been to a lot of these places and apparently just missed so much. At least I can look forward to going back. There is also a lot of color here. He also seems to hang out with some very beautiful women..."
4th January, 2009
"Sam's photos are all crafted with careful consideration given to toning, color, light, and the hundred and one other elements that make up a gorgeous photograph. One need only to check out his catalog of work to see that he is very good at what he does."
20th November, 2007
Marco A. Torres says:
"Sam's work is absolutely exceptional every shot hides a deep abandoned secret."
9th July, 2007
JUDGE DREDD76 says:
"Sam is a great guy and has a remarkable eye for natural beauty in all aspects."
13th March, 2007
"Sam is a virtuoso of tone. His best images have a lonely, yet lived-in quality that gives them a sense of deep humanity beneath a dystopian veneer.
Also, he is nice :-)"
11th November, 2006
"He's probably been to more abandoned buildings in Utah than any other local, and he's proud of it. It shows.
He takes the time to set up his shots and then painstakingly selects the photos that he shares with us on Flickr. It shows.
He has a fabulous smile. That shows, too.
If it's abandoned, boarded up, or cast aside, you'll find it in Sam's darkly cool photostream; there are no sissified photos here."
19th September, 2006
jon madison says:
"it took me a while to get this, i couldn't think of how to make this concise enough (that and for a while i *couldn't* write him a testimonial. ;-)
sam drives me crazy.
he apparently takes great care in doing his best, and has been an inspiration, getting a look out of that D70 that i didn't think were possible. There's a quality about each of his shots, that i can't even put my finger on, but it reminds me of well produced hip hop. just the right grit and just the right clean. they give me That Good Feeling, regardless of the subject.
Nikon oughtta give him a sponsorship for real.
if there were a big pink star next to his profile, i would have been done clicked it. ;-)
and dang he digs Good Music. that's *got* to be one reason for his excellence :)"
20th November, 2005
"Sam is the Master of the abandonment, of the forgotten places and things. Like no other, he brings heart, soul and life to ghosts."
15th November, 2005
_ n a t u r a l _ says:
"Sam is not just a great photographer, but one of the nicest guys I’ve ever known.
His photos can talk about any subject: from his most tender portraits of his family, to his well-known ‘forgotten places’ shots!
He is also a fantastic person that has helped and encouraged me with his sincere and kind words. I must admit that I’m really glad to have met such an interesting person in Flickr. It’s always wonderful to see his smiling icon around.
I’m thinking about going to Utah…! Hehehe!
Thank you so much for everything, Sam! ;-)
12th October, 2005
"Sam has a way of capturing the light in such a beautiful way on such mundane items, which actually bring out their inner beauty"
3rd May, 2005
""Sam the man" Sam is a great friend, and has given me the chance to explore diffrent worlds. Maybe its because he doesn't want to get stabed by a hobo, or maybe he enjoys my company. Sam is always inviting me out on shoots, I think we have learned alot from each other. Yes Sam I am scared of heights. WE ARE THE "Modern day explorers" Thanks for the pro account!"
23rd April, 2005
"Sam is the king of Utah."
11th April, 2005
Irina Souiki says:
"Sam is one of kind photographer, but also kind and generous. He leaves constructive and insightful comments, even does what many would never do because they're too protective of their "secrets" : teach you digital photography.
His pictures of abandoned, rusted, peeling places are a great add-on to his already versatile photostream... and who knows, portfolio, one day?
Thank you Sam for making me feel welcome on Flickr."
28th March, 2005
"Observant, relevant, keen and sharp. A fine talent, a great contributor, warm hearted and ever curious. He's very careful with his comments, and this conveyed sensitivity with what he has in front of him is revealed in his work."
20th March, 2005
"Sam was a big welcome wagon for me on flickr. He's very generous and insightful with his comments -- which really encouraged me to continue to share my photos.
I was initially drawn to Sam's photostream when I saw the beautiful pictures he took of his family, and I have come to admire his photos of forgotten places, doors, and windows, too. He's a very well rounded shooter."
21st January, 2005
"while a lot of my stuff is just things i find to snap pictures of, sam's photos are all very carefully composed. you can tell he has worked with cameras for a long time and composes everything with an expert eye. he naturally takes the kind of photography that i hope i will be able to achieve someday with a lot of work. :) thanks for the pics sam, i always enjoy them."
12th January, 2005
"Sam takes some of the best photos of abandoned, run down centres of industry and human activity that I have ever seen. It's very inspirational, and you should all have a look at his work."
4th January, 2005
- Sam Scholes
- December 2004
- Logan, Utah
- Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Sales / Photographer
- My Portfolio