57 Yr Old long-haul Tractor-Trailer Driver, living in Albany, CA.
I've been a photographer since 1970...
I have used, and still own, quite a number of cameras, including, but not limited to: a Santa Barbara Pinhole 4x5, an Olympus Pen-FT, four Nikons - a D40x, a Nikkormat FT2, a Nikon N75, a Nikon F4s, a Rollieflex that is currently out of action, a Pentax SP-1000, an old Zeiss-Ikon Ikonta and a Z.-I. Nettar.
I am looking to acquire two lenses in a Nikon mount, both Sigmas: a 10-20 f/3.5, and a "Bigma" 50-500. The 10-20 would only be used on the D40x, the "Bigma" would be shared amongst all the AF Nikons.
I've posted shots from 11 cameras so far - the additions to the above (and reason I'm no longer using such) are: a Nikon F4s, (stolen, now replaced by another F4s...) Olympus OM-1MD, (fallen out of favor) a Ricoh 500, (borrowed) and a Minox M3 DCC Leica replica (not enough Mp for me - and it's low-light capability is non-existent!)
Note: all photos are full-frame for the camera in use (always tagged...) UNLESS OTHERWISE INDICATED. (I often crop, but always indicate when I do so, unless the picture is an old (pre-2008) scan... when I might have forgotten whether the .jpg on my computer is, or is not, a crop...) When I'm shooting with a vibration reduction lens (Nikon: VR, Sigma: OS) the feature is turned OFF unless stated otherwise. Note that no shots from the F4s will have Vibration Reduction active - The Nikon F4 simply doesn't know about VR...
I do not alter pictures except in the following ways, unless otherwise stated in the caption: cropping, improving sharpness, contrast, brightness, saturation, and hue/color temperature and (on negative or slide scans...) eliminating obvious dust spots.
Guidelines for how much is cropped: "lightly": less cropped off than the normal Piknik® crop; "cropped": the normal Piknic® crop; "Heavily": more than the normal crop; "Severely" a lot more than the normal crop; "ruthlessly" surviving picture area is a postage stamp of the original picture! There is some subjectivity in the last three grades... the same standards apply to Aviary, since Flickr switched to it...
Re: Geotags - I try to always geotag the location of the subject. The only exception to this is when I'm photographing something large and far away (like a sunset, sunrise, cloud formation...) when my geotag will be where I was standing (sitting, etc...) when the shutter went off. Exceptions will be noted as above for cropping. I do not geotag photos taken in my house/studio.
When I post in a caption the line a bus or other transit vehicle is working, I mean the line the vehicle was working on the day that the picture captioned was taken: the transit line(s) may have changed since the picture was taken! I try to indicate when such a change has happened, if i know of the change...
For the vast majority of my pictures of road vehicles, I am one of the following:
(in descending order of picture numbers)
1) Taking the picture from the sidewalk as a pedestrian,
2) Taking the picture from a stopped vehicle,
3) Taking the picture from the median as a pedestrian,
4) Taking the picture from a vehicle where I am a passenger ,
5) otherwise not endangering traffic, pedestrians, myself, or anyone else! (overheads, bridges, etc...) This last is for most of my "parking slobs" pictures, where I'm taking the picture from one side of the parking aisle, of the other side.
For rail vehicles, I am almost always standing by the tracks, or in a train station...
- nikkor 20mm f/2.8 AF-D 162 photos, 36 members
- Nikon D600/D610 CLUB 103,857 photos, 6,851 members
- Boeing 777 35,969 photos, 1,424 members
- Caltrain 1,427 photos, 126 members
- Winnemucca, Nevada 329 photos, 19 members
- Churches - Please read the rules before posting 146,314 photos, 12,282 members
- Orange Orange Orange Things 4,157 photos, 498 members
- Streetcars and Light Rail in North America 4,377 photos, 190 members
- Chinatowns of the World 1,344 photos, 114 members
- Aves Urbanas Livres 255 photos, 11 members
- Mercury Cars 7,922 photos, 444 members
- Nikkor 35mm F2D 9,454 photos, 889 members
- San Diego Fire Dept 1,128 photos, 50 members
- SUV Lovers 6,047 photos, 393 members
- bluebird buses only 6,663 photos, 52 members
- PLANET EARTH TRAINS AND RAILROADS 9,536 photos, 382 members
- Nikon Speedlight (tag your photos) 15,849 photos, 3,072 members
- Daly City 400 photos, 45 members
- Nikon Film Cameras 146,361 photos, 10,253 members
- Nikon Nikkor Af 50mm f/1.8D 172 photos, 37 members
- Colma - City of the Silent 342 photos, 15 members
- lincoln motors 2,517 photos, 318 members
- Mini Repository 738 photos, 72 members
- Opticholics 1,210 photos, 76 members
- Nikon shooters and their equipment group 1,926 photos, 309 members
- All About Buicks 6,401 photos, 466 members
- Pontiac 736 photos, 85 members
- Diptychs - two is better than one! 122,477 photos, 24,119 members
- ***SCREAM OF THE PHOTOGRAPHER*** 1,598,723 photos, 39,386 members
- MG Cars 10,148 photos, 1,032 members
- Flxible buses 483 photos, 70 members
- Buses: RTS 3,441 photos, 100 members
- FIAT //// F.I.A.T. 251 photos, 84 members
- Bell-Boeing MV-22B / CV-22 Osprey 806 photos, 250 members
- Market Street Railway 7,966 photos, 383 members
- White Cars Only 17,381 photos, 433 members
- Hyundai 3,975 photos, 555 members
- A Single Flower 33,439 photos, 1,623 members
- Berkeleyside 9,097 photos, 311 members
- Monochrome (color only!) 20,003 photos, 1,885 members
- contrast colour 7,019 photos, 681 members
- Normal Lens 742 photos, 54 members
- For the Love of Yellow 20,031 photos, 2,007 members
- Prevost Car 1,291 photos, 59 members
- Still Life Photography 37,343 photos, 4,523 members
- PLANET EARTH URBAN LANDSCAPES 5,375 photos, 443 members
- Ford F Series Emergency Vehicles 3,508 photos, 94 members
- Oldsmobile 8,714 photos, 583 members
- 豬籠草 NEPENTHES 140 photos, 10 members
- Insect Eating Plants Of The World 11 photos, 5 members
THE Holy Hand Grenade! doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Paul Sullivan
- June 2008
- San Francisco, CA
- Albany, CA, USA
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Truck Driver