I joined this site in 2005. It seemed just a convenient way of swapping some photos of a recent trip to France I'd done with some students and colleagues. My interest in photography was really limited to taking snaps of friends and family and of various things I'd seen while travelling.
Since then, little by little, I've made contacts with other people on Flickr and I've become more and more interested in the photographs I've seen them taking.
Henri Cartier-Bresson apparently said that you should expect your first 10,000 photos to be terrible. In this digital age, I'm upping that total to at least 30,000. Until then I'm a rank amateur. But at least I now regard photography as something worth doing for its own sake, and I find it a real relief from the otherwise wordy life I lead as an academic.
I teach religious history and a lot of the photos on this site I take because I think they might be useful in my work or the work of others teaching in similar areas. That explains the preference for quantity over quality!
I chose the the flickr name "Nick in exsilio" because I was living and working in the UK, far from home in New Zealand. Although I'm deeply Europhile and have enjoyed living in the middle of the remains of the subjects I teach, I developed a kind of mid-life homing instinct, and will be taking up a new job in Auckland from July 2009. I'm looking forward to new photographic subjects, but hope to return to Europe as often as I can in future.
As a good proportion of the photos will suggest, I have an amateurish interest in the medieval pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Since 1997, I've walked about 2000 km of these. I did all 741 km of Camino Frances in Spain in 1997, then all but the last 100 km of the Chemin du Puy in the summers of 2003 and 2004 (my foot gave out). In the summer of 2007 I started on the Chemin de Vézelay in France and in July 2008 I walked the Via Tolosana from Arles to Toulouse. For the last three years I've also done a few days on a part of the route with friends from Aberdeen at the end of the spring half-session.
A few teachers, lecturers, and non-profit institutions like museums, art galleries and universities have asked if they can use photos for classes, guide books etc. I'm delighted for them to do so. If you feel like it, email me, because I'm always interested to hear how other people are using images in their work, but it's not compulsory.
However, in the extremely unlikely event that you wish to use the photos to make pots of money, I might ask you to make a modest donation to some charity.
visited 24 states (10.6%)Create your own visited map of The World or website vertaling duits?
Photos of Nick in exsilio (2)
- Empty tomb and Resurrection 523 photos, 20 members
- Late Gothic woodcarving 563 photos, 7 members
- Rugby World Cup 2011 3,082 photos, 392 members
- Church Effigies 1,962 photos, 51 members
- The People's Royal Wedding Album 1,340 photos, 681 members
- New Zealand Country Churches 582 photos, 68 members
- carved graffiti 1,186 photos, 189 members
- Architecture Iconography in Sacred Art (read the rules) 2,206 photos, 103 members
- Renaissance/Renacimiento/Rinascimento 8,571 photos, 379 members
- Pittura medievale - Medieval paint 4,685 photos, 291 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 154,163 photos, 5,069 members
- New Zealand ~ Aotearoa 127,876 photos, 6,337 members
- Auckland 10,468 photos, 482 members
- Visibile Parlare - Medieval inscriptions 916 photos, 70 members
- Architecture of New Zealand 3,557 photos, 164 members
- Early Christian Art and Architecture 1,464 photos, 95 members
- NZHPT Images Project 1,276 photos, 109 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L (IS) USM 72,992 photos, 6,287 members
- New Zealand History 5,204 photos, 123 members
- Youth with Split Apple 32 photos, 7 members
- Auckland Digital Photography Group 2,309 photos, 136 members
- History : images without words don't document 5,654 photos, 543 members
- Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand 11,200 photos, 496 members
- Stained Glass Windows 83,377 photos, 3,415 members
- Cathedrals of France 4,210 photos, 226 members
- Gothic stained glass 360 photos, 55 members
- Folk Arts - Arte Popular 2,794 photos, 506 members
- Wooden Churches of the World 2,118 photos, 229 members
- Guardianista 2,602 photos, 167 members
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM 9,621 photos, 437 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark III Group 522,262 photos, 22,214 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 28,088 photos, 993 members
- Manuscripta mediaevalia 3,323 photos, 396 members
- Mosaic Art Source 22,533 photos, 2,299 members
- Wild Flowers Everwhere 12,222 photos, 886 members
- Color: DEEP, DARK, RICH, VIBRANT! 31,235 photos, 2,970 members
- Canon Speedlite 430EX 11,861 photos, 1,779 members
- Marischal College, Aberdeen 1,953 photos, 62 members
- Visible words - Visibile parlare 5,844 photos, 487 members
- Roof Bosses In Churches 795 photos, 29 members
- Medieval Zodiacs and Monthly Labors 644 photos, 57 members
- Canon EF-S 55-250 f4-5.6 IS 75,293 photos, 5,116 members
- Art & Architecture romans en France 9,487 photos, 262 members
- People Watching 220,218 photos, 6,847 members
- Seaton High Flats - Aberdeen 113 photos, 20 members
- Romanesque sculpture - Scultura romanica (Post 1 - Award 1) 16,663 photos, 647 members
- Aperture Users 273,386 photos, 10,531 members
- Fortified Churches 1,902 photos, 211 members
- Tamron AF 55-200mm 1,502 photos, 107 members
- Sigma 10-20mm 257,461 photos, 14,604 members
Nick in exsilio doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Nick Thompson
- June 2005
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- Auckland, New Zealand
- I am:
- Lecturer in Church History