Visual cartographer of the psychogeographic landscape.
I use Flickr as a valuable testing ground - there's all sorts on here, and it's not necessarily a "best of", although some of my favourite photos are featured in the Portfolio set.
Please see my website (up since 2003) or my portfolio on In-Public (the second gallery).
Main web site:
Portfolios on in-public.com
Visit my blog:
All the photos on Flickr and on my main website were taken during the period 2003-2013.
In the past 3 years I have participated in group shows at Photofusion, London; Third Floor Gallery, Cardiff; Contributed Studio for the Arts, Berlin; Museum of London (plus accompanying book); Format Photography Festival, Derby; Galerie Hertz, Louisville, USA; Fundacja.DOC, Warsaw; The Museum of the City of New York; International Photography Festival #2, Tel Aviv; and Thailand Creative & Design Center, Bangkok. Phew.
In addition, I have had five solo shows around the UK.
I have a 6-page spread and profile in the Thames & Hudson Street Photography Now book, currently residing in a Waterstones near you (probably).
Please note that any rude/derogatory/libellous comments regarding people in the photos will be deleted!
I took these photos especially for you.
Photos of Paul Russell99 (1)
- August Bournemouth Photo Walks 9 photos, 1 member
- Brighton Streets 904 photos, 232 members
- Leisure time, Then and Now 38 photos, 4 members
- Mission Miniclick 15 photos, 28 members
- SPNC - Street Photography Now Community 502 photos, 1,657 members
- Fuji X10 & X20 56,642 photos, 4,660 members
- (SPUK) Street Photography UK 545 photos, 312 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 363 photos, 190 members
- SPNC - Year 2 - # 01 192 photos, 292 members
- Aspiring Street Photographers 83,456 photos, 4,084 members
- Instruction #37 243 photos, 327 members
- Instruction #35 233 photos, 303 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 157,085 photos, 7,484 members
- RICOH GR Digital II (GRD2) 44,931 photos, 1,886 members
- Instruction #28 205 photos, 325 members
- Instruction #27 228 photos, 363 members
- Instruction #25 211 photos, 454 members
- Instruction #24 228 photos, 351 members
- The New Forest Show 0 photos, 1 member
- Finepix X100 and X100s 89,369 photos, 3,693 members
- Fuji X100 117,145 photos, 7,888 members
- Instruction #21 239 photos, 424 members
- Instruction #20 258 photos, 406 members
- Altered States of Agoraphobia 3,239 photos, 375 members
- Instruction #18 282 photos, 481 members
- Instruction #16 204 photos, 455 members
- Instruction #15 240 photos, 441 members
- Instruction #14 222 photos, 353 members
- Instruction #13 199 photos, 340 members
- Instruction #11 190 photos, 387 members
- Hardcore Seagull Photography (HCSGP) 104 photos, 121 members
- Instruction #10 259 photos, 472 members
- Right Here, Right Now 1,494 photos, 119 members
- Instruction #9 273 photos, 526 members
- Instruction #8 275 photos, 512 members
- Instruction #7 247 photos, 457 members
- Instruction #4 226 photos, 588 members
- Instruction #3 264 photos, 638 members
- Instruction #2 288 photos, 887 members
- Instruction #1 357 photos, 1,517 members
- Alec Soth's "From Here To There" Flickr Project 2,618 photos, 1,167 members
- Truth Magazine 5 photos, 209 members
- Add the colour 537 photos, 59 members
- Indoor 'Street' Shooting 2,297 photos, 372 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,842 photos, 56,175 members
- Bridport & West Bay 722 photos, 87 members
- 10 Years of Tate Modern 514 photos, 494 members
- In Camera 88 photos, 278 members
- Street Reverb Magazine 66 photos, 561 members
- theprintspace 35,315 photos, 2,409 members
John Goldsmith says:
"A crowd favourite. Paul is one of mine too. Consistently fantastic!"
27th July, 2008
Hughes Léglise-Bataille says:
"Paul is one of a handful of photographers whose work can achieve that very rare quality of making you laugh and marvel like a 10-year old. He is also a keen and sensitive observer, able to isolate the magic in the most mundane situations, and capture hidden street rythms in precise compositions."
13th July, 2008
"Pauls photos offer a fresh perspective of the world, he is the poet laureate of the seaside, capturing an elderly lady reclining in a deckchair, a man in tweeds laughing at a Punch and Judy show.
He uses a fresh language to express the constant state of anxiety as the holidaymakers go about there staged leisure, every photo looks choreographed in a dazzling display of enigmatic composition and unintentional humour, he is just as good as Martin Parr. sheer brilliance"
15th July, 2007
"Paul has a wonderful and charming way of revealing the world to us. His work can be painterly or often surreal, but always revealing in a delightful manner."
26th May, 2007
"Straight up genius!"
19th November, 2006
"Paul must be the love-child of Tony Ray-Jones. No one in the last thirty years has managed to get such a cast of classic British characters to play out scene after scene of perfectly deadpan, perfectly composed playlets as we have here in this stream. Does he make all this up? No. Too good to be invented.."
26th October, 2006
Dan Sumption says:
"Paul has an incredible eye for the humorous details which pass most of us by every day. With his humour, his bright palette and his love of quintessentially English pastimes (seaside treats and country fairs), there are obvious similarities between his work and that of Martin Parr. The comparison is valid (and praise in itself) but Paul has a style that is all his own. And he has more photos of road cones than Martin."
17th October, 2006
- Paul Russell
- April 2005
- I am: