I'm a massive geek. As with most geeks, I'm fascinated by all things technological; it's what I do for a living, as well as a hobby (and obsession?)
a while back I found myself really burnt out, and I realized that I had let all of my non-computer-related hobbies and interests fall by the wayside. So I decided to pick them back up and spend some time focusing on them and not computers for a bit.
This led me to rediscover a number of things I had been missing- but also to some new levels of geekness, really. I started getting heavily into origami, and especially into very technical folding (often referred to as origami sekkei, or "technical paper folding".)
So while I enjoy folding all kinds of things, I've just been posting items which I have created myself. all of the items I post to flickr are independently created/invented/dreamed up by me, unless otherwise stated.
It's a big deal for me, as I really dislike the lack of information sharing in the origami world- I want to bring some of the open-source style sharing to them, preferably via the Creative Commons licensing ideals. I've made some headway on that front by releasing diagrams and crease patterns under a CC license, available on my website - it's located at www.origamitessellations.com.
- Concurso de creación, convención AEP 2013 15 photos, 34 members
- The Art of Papermaking 154 photos, 33 members
- CDO Verbania 2009 191 photos, 10 members
- Origami Tessellations Design Challenge 2009 8 photos, 33 members
- -fold- 4,309 photos, 260 members
- CDO Verbania 2008 231 photos, 17 members
- Pacific Rim Origami 150 photos, 12 members
- curved fold 1,021 photos, 228 members
- Origami As Sculptural Art 700 photos, 188 members
- Origami Tessellation Design Challenge 2008 37 photos, 77 members
- MetaFilter 2,201 photos, 647 members
- Origami Tessellation Molecules 634 photos, 142 members
- Computer Aided Origami 569 photos, 168 members
- Anamorphosis 153 photos, 208 members
- folding & architecture 187 photos, 27 members
- origami and architecture 951 photos, 129 members
- Origami Designs (Your own designs only) 11,281 photos, 527 members
- Origami Tutorial 435 photos, 173 members
- Origami USA Annual Convention Pictures 1,862 photos, 76 members
- Starkstruck 69 photos, 46 members
- Nishimura Yuko Appreciation Society 14 photos, 28 members
- Digital fabrication 4,651 photos, 933 members
- Hexagon 495 photos, 132 members
- YURTS 949 photos, 271 members
- Obsessive Compulsive Art Tendencies (OCAT) 52,080 photos, 2,501 members
- Craft Robo 413 photos, 84 members
- international graphic design 68,941 photos, 6,411 members
- The Divine Art Movement 157 photos, 39 members
- Geodesic & Geodetic 268 photos, 113 members
- World Arts and Craft; clay, paper and more 20,689 photos, 1,128 members
- Paper Craft 29,409 photos, 2,680 members
- Geodesic Dome Research 144 photos, 56 members
- A world of origami 25,783 photos, 1,456 members
- Origami Workshop 4,065 photos, 230 members
- Origami Corrugations 1,679 photos, 425 members
- Artworks on Paper 266,657 photos, 11,422 members
- 3D paper art 16,690 photos, 1,944 members
- Generative & Evolutionary Art 14,378 photos, 1,015 members
- ORIGAMI (Brasil) 4,938 photos, 566 members
- Surface Designs 4,437 photos, 298 members
- Craft as Art 27,448 photos, 1,460 members
- Paper Lovers 9,321 photos, 541 members
- Muslim Cultures 96,288 photos, 10,317 members
- Iranian 71,775 photos, 3,589 members
- CRAFT 235,958 photos, 14,035 members
- Mosques and Minarets 42,323 photos, 5,964 members
- Islam 12,253 photos, 1,387 members
- Mandala Central 7,026 photos, 775 members
- Geometría 5,665 photos, 548 members
- Symmetrical Photographs 1,459 photos, 223 members
"Eric's work brought me in the wonderful world of origami tessellations. His knowledge of tessellations/tilings/geometrical stuff is really wide and never cease to amaze me with his kind of new models and techniques. Beside this he is a really nice person, kind and sunny, which doesn't hurt!"
27th May, 2008
"It's since I've met C. Palmer for the first time, several years ago, that I'm not astonished in this way by a paperfolder. Sometimes I think that this man doesn't sleep *never*, to think and to fold these beautiful works."
15th August, 2007
Ray Schamp says:
"Eric's photos brought me into Flickr, and thus into this great community of origamists. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of origami tessellations, which he shares freely -- both here, and on his blog. Seeing the progress of his talent is inspiring and demystifies -- while piquing one's interest in -- one of the coolest genres of paperfolding."
18th April, 2007
En Why See says:
"Eric's work is groundbreaking, and seemingly effortless. Especially important is how he develops new ways of teaching us all a relatively complex form of artistic expression with paper. I've learned that his wife is also an extreme talent herself in the "softer" arts of temari and kirigami. Eric's devotion to open source is key to us all understanding ancient [and modern] art without a mentoring sen-sei at our disposal."
13th December, 2006
"Eric can work magic with a single sheet of paper! His origami creations are awe-inspiring and incredible to behold.
His photos also provide a glimpse of what life is like up in Minnesota. (this Cali Girl has no clue!)
Oh yeah, he's got some mouthwatering pics of bekazushi.
Last but certainly not least, he's a nice guy!"
22nd December, 2005
"Origomi's tesselations have greatly widened my perspective on what can be done in the world of origami tesselations. He once asked if I had super speed folding- I wonder the same about him! every week I see beautiful new creations."
20th October, 2005
alida saxon says:
"His origami foldings are as complicated as they are beautiful. Math turned into art. Well worth keeping an eye on to see what he comes up with next."
26th September, 2005
"It's so refreshing to see a photostream like Origomi's. I'm a big origami fan and I'm delighted to have found such a wonderful collection of original work. Beautiful stuff!"
1st June, 2005
- Eric Gjerde
- March 2005
- Minneapolis, USA
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Origami Tessellations
- origomi [at] mac.com