"I've gained no wisdom, no insight, no mellowing . . . I would make all the same mistakes again today"
. . . . Woody Allen ( on aging gracefully). . . .
. . . I'm a chronic people watcher . . . and I seldom see a face that I don't want to photograph . . .. . . my passion for photography combined with my belief that we're all members of the same Human Family has provided a logical excuse for my series of NYC street portraits . . . and for all of the images in my head that are able to migrate into the camera and then to the computer. . .
. . . And I must also mention how grateful I am for the opportunity that Flickr has given me to share my work . . . and to glean so much uplift and inspiration from the many on this site whose friendship I treasure and whose talent I aspire to . . .
David Robert Bliwas is a NYC artist/photographer whose portrait photography and fine-art b&w, hand-colored and digitally imaged street scenes of New York and Paris are in private collections worldwide. David's career embraces a wide and eclectic range of experience . . . from stand-up comedy in the early 70's . . . where he was mentored by Flip Wilson . . . and performed along with Danny Aiello, David Brenner, Bette Midler, Robert Klein, and Rodney Dangerfield at the beginnings of their careers . . . to playing trumpet with Dizzy Gillespie, working with delinquents and runaways from the Bronx to Greenwich Village, adopting two teens and accepting several foster children as a single parent in his early twenties , becoming a portrait photographer in the New York Korean and Chinese communities . . . and curating galleries in New York City and Pittsburgh.
David has been a member of the Baha'i Faith since his early twenties . . . and hopefully his work manifests and reflects the focus of his beliefs . . . simply that we're all citizens of the same Planet . . . and members of the same Family . . . and that our differences serve only to make the human mosaic more wonderful and beautiful . . .
Please also visit me on MySpace :
Love to connect on Facebook:
- CHEVROLET 79,612 photos, 3,499 members
- One Face @ a Time ~ Street Portraiture 31,246 photos, 3,026 members
- A Portrait Group 414,822 photos, 9,799 members
- ***A Place For Great Photographers*** Level 1 Please Award 3 202,010 photos, 8,919 members
- The Human Element 22,767 photos, 996 members
- Image Portrait Gallery !!! - B&W or Color !!! 50,852 photos, 1,468 members
- Close Up Color Portraits 18,962 photos, 1,242 members
- brown skin (color photos only) 11,889 photos, 1,239 members
- Negrophile 14,679 photos, 1,733 members
- blackpeople 45,893 photos, 2,892 members
- Portraits Taken With Nikon D90 and 50mm 1.8 4,346 photos, 1,084 members
- 50mm 141,064 photos, 6,805 members
- *I Love Birds* 488,817 photos, 15,426 members
- Florida Treasure Coast Photography 1,130 photos, 47 members
- The Treasure Coast 792 photos, 40 members
- 50mm (The original 50mm group) 928,951 photos, 47,271 members
- Nikkor 50mm 1.8 184,949 photos, 15,761 members
- NIKON D90 & 50mm 1.8 CLUB 27,213 photos, 2,927 members
- Smiles/Sorrisi/Sonrisas [48°Contest: Christmas smiles OPEN!] 124,321 photos, 20,104 members
- Florida, USA 131,487 photos, 6,245 members
- look my eyes 10,587 photos, 868 members
- flickr (unofficial) 1,525,326 photos, 78,295 members
- PICTURES FROM NEW YORK CITY 33,815 photos, 1,261 members
- Group with Ҽxperience 1,618,035 photos, 223,096 members
- Freewheeling France 2,978 photos, 135 members
- Self-Portraits! 477,337 photos, 44,432 members
- Level 1-Photography for Recreation-No Human Photo-P1/A5 294,590 photos, 13,272 members
- avp&a #2 - PLATINUM group - P1/A3, SWEEPER active again 21,761 photos, 1,775 members
- The Face (invited images only) 9,803 photos, 4,678 members
- avp&a #1 - MAIN group (Post 1-AWARD 4) SWEEPER active 80,970 photos, 3,727 members
- BREATHTAKING PICS (INVITE ONLY) 440 photos, 40 members
- In Your Face - Portraits 21,154 photos, 1,404 members
- Winter Garden New York City 68 photos, 12 members
- Beautiful very short haired girl / Very Short girl's Hairstyles 1,734 photos, 667 members
- Fotografías en blanco y negro ( post 1/award 3 ) 37,332 photos, 2,418 members
- A Shot a Day ... Or So 119,490 photos, 2,040 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 15,601 photos, 19,236 members
- !!THE MASTER OF MASTERPIECES(INVITED ONLY)(P1/C3)NO COMMENT=BAN 4,299 photos, 1,067 members
- Art is a Woman (post 1- award 2) 95,618 photos, 7,923 members
- Photographed Photographers 6,551 photos, 844 members
- People & people & people 1,576 photos, 438 members
- Adobe Photoshop CS (all CS versions) 210,707 photos, 13,391 members
- ignis ∆ art // invite only /// 2,263 photos, 183 members
- Music Addicts 63,055 photos, 3,572 members
- Music Photography 373,184 photos, 13,430 members
- Live Music Photography 381,183 photos, 16,783 members
- Folk Music 16,227 photos, 1,675 members
- Music Makers 125,886 photos, 6,111 members
- Live Music 469,114 photos, 27,057 members
- Music Music Music 104,631 photos, 8,380 members
Scott Hudson * says:
"True talent ... When David takes a portrait , it is not only just a picture, he captures the goodness of men and women, as if I can see their souls. I am left in awe each and every time I visit his photo stream, his work has energy and life.
David can capture every day life in New York City and turn it into a work of art. full of rich color teaming with liveliness.
A brilliantly gifted man.. I am privileged to be a small part of his Flickr family."
28th March, 2009
"Tu galeria nos muestra una maravillosa mezcla de razas y culturas diferentes, en las que podemos apreciar los rasgos de cada cultura y asi ver las similitudes y diferencias q hay entre cada una.
Un esplendido trabajo. felicidades."
3rd December, 2008
Tony Shi. says:
"David has a very special defination of what's beautiful to him, a special artistic style which I couldn't name it. your works has a lot of the element of emotions,abstraction,surrealism,exaggeration. The latest portrait are incredibly good. I lived in Flushing once and my biggest dream is not to live there. Most of people in Flushing works as anything around restaurant business, with no legal status. Such a enviroment is what I'm afraid, is becoming one of them. I
'm getting really interest to your life since you have a very good one. and wonder where is your work place? some political stuff what do you think of falun gong, and the people who was protesting.
I'm not good when it comes to judgement and testimonial, but....just ...amazing."
5th October, 2008
TJ Scott says:
"David can do it all; Portraits - Cityscapes - Candid Moments - all with the passion and compassion of a true life long artist/photographer/musician. He is outrageously gifted and his works are so self assured and yet he moves through Flickr with a calm warm respect for everyone involved. David's Portrait work is amongst the best - so do yourself a favor and take a leisurely stroll through his gallery savoring the fine works and surprises - you'll be happy you did - and a better photographer by the end of the tour."
18th September, 2008
"There are many, many talented people on Flickr, but my head has only been turned twice – the 2nd time was when I came across David’s stream recently. It was his 9/11 Tribute series that first blew me away – the colors, the lighting, the silhouettes, the sheer scale, the empathy… it had it all. Or so I thought…
Then I discovered his portrait photography and fine-art b&w, hand-colored & digitally imaged street scenes - the term "a splice of life" was invented for this stream. Faves in this section incl “Smokin”, “Freedom”, “In to the Sunset”, “March Madness”, “Walking with Coffee”.. I could go on…. He works with the camera as few others do and his stream is such a thrill – I pinch myself that I have met this incredible talent of creativity.
There’s only one problem with David’s stream, you’ll spend so much time here, you won’t want to leave, but it really doesn't get better than this. Oh & did I mention that he’s a fab contact as he takes time to comment & encourage you on your Flickr journey. Flickr is honoured to have someone of David’s calibre & I hope that at David’s level, there will be enough in Flickrland to motivate & inspire him even more. I am so lucky to have met him & to call him my friend.
Big hugs from Ireland xxx"
21st August, 2008
"It's only recently that have I been posting regularly on Flickr and I was fortunate enough to discover David's photo-stream following a remark he made on one of my images.
His work is refreshingly different and always engenders a reaction of pleasure and admiration, simply because his images combine art and photography so superbly.
Thank you for sharing your images with us and long may you do so.
20th August, 2008
Mikalsen Photography says:
"one of the kind, reminds me of new Warhol... you should get somewhere big in photo industry... if not , then the world is full of crap...All the best and never stop..."
2nd August, 2008
rangers681.1111 (back) says:
"Hell daystar has 257 photos on flickr, all of which are worthy of being put in a gallery. I wish I could say that about myself but daystar's photos are meticolously detailed and each are beautifully treated. The captures alone are great too. This man is a true artist and a pro at photography. It is a privilage to be a contact of this photographer."
23rd June, 2008
"You my friend are one of the unsung hero's, I thank you for your photos, and just for being out there! I am also sleek77 on SU and you are welcome to visit, not a candle to your work, but it's me. Lee in Callahan"
8th July, 2007
"Why have there been no testimonials for this man before mine?
Here is an inspiration. A restrained power using all the tools at his disposal to create images that last.
Pay attention. This artist deserves yours and everyone elses."
20th August, 2006
- David Robert Bliwas
- September 2005
- New York City
- I am:
- Male and Single
- artist • photographer