'The magic hand of chance' - John Keats
Unstaged photographs showing the funny, sad, or peculiar in everyday life. None have been digitally manipulated, except to correct colour and contrast.
"Pure photography is a system of picture-making that describes more or less faithfully what might be seen through a rectangular frame from a particular vantage point at a given moment".
John Szarkowski, 'Looking at Photographs'.
"Basically it's a piece of luck, but luck that is earned" - Martin Parr.
"Compared to the reality, any fiction I could come up with at this juncture would seem very mundane. I'd never dare invent anything that crazy; no one would believe it" - Mike Skinner (aka The Streets).
"I really do want people to use their eyes as they go through life...when you look at things rather than through them, life starts absolutely crackling with interest and excitement" - John Betjeman.
Thank you to all Flickr people who have taken the time to look, comment and fave my photographs. You have contributed to my work in a very real way. Or as Noel Coward said, "I love criticism just so long as it's unqualified praise".
I have seen many inspirational photographs here on Flickr, taken by fellow Flickr people, and the link below is a nice way to view some of them.
In 2004 I was interviewed by Popular Photography and Imaging
In 2006 I had a discussion with Michael David Murphy about my work, on his Street Photography website 2point8
In 2009 I was interviewed by Kate Kirkwood on Too Much Chocolate.
I have a street photography blog here
I have photographs on the street photography collective In-Public
Photos of Nils Jorgensen (5)
- pattern-recognition 300 photos, 80 members
- Mysterious Happenings 581 photos, 80 members
- CISPA [Central Intelligence Street Photography Agency] 69 photos, 33 members
- Wired! 38 photos, 93 members
- Vertical Framing Street Photography 301 photos, 232 members
- Third Dimension 119 photos, 161 members
- Photos Without A Rabbit 20,198 photos, 834 members
- Urban Cats 113 photos, 10 members
- Street Photography Online Gallery 78 photos, 51 members
- Flâneurs et Flâneuses 336 photos, 351 members
- timorous beasties 964 photos, 59 members
- staffage 208 photos, 15 members
- Orphanpix 3,082 photos, 178 members
- Risked Returning 916 photos, 1,642 members
- -seen through- street 640 photos, 96 members
- The Sandman Cometh 272 photos, 147 members
- slowly goes the night 127 photos, 20 members
- urban poetry 91,629 photos, 3,634 members
- - Me, Myself and I - 1,623 photos, 247 members
- British Street Photography (BSP) 1,414 photos, 397 members
- Street Photography at Night 222 photos, 322 members
- We don't like beach volley 238 photos, 207 members
- SPN Project - Photos by the Instruction Givers. 36 photos, 56 members
- ::cleopatra's nose:: 7,353 photos, 693 members
- Urban trees 23,505 photos, 790 members
- chronotope 3,780 photos, 578 members
- The Bus Stops Here 272 photos, 102 members
- Instruction #3 268 photos, 649 members
- Street Photography Now Project - Authors' Picks 539 photos, 502 members
- SeriousBalloons 1,528 photos, 316 members
- Hardcore Bike Photography 283 photos, 128 members
- Small Growers Street Association 243 photos, 599 members
- Indoor 'Street' Shooting 1,996 photos, 314 members
- Cover Street 268 photos, 724 members
- color street (curatimus maximus) 4,577 photos, 1,830 members
- particles 1,549 photos, 394 members
- urinals 3,870 photos, 802 members
- Lyric Documentary 7,116 photos, 638 members
- Street Reverb Magazine 67 photos, 543 members
- Populated by Vegetation 888 photos, 497 members
- la familia abrazada 2,090 photos, 984 members
- In ictu oculi 1,092 photos, 458 members
- Dr Karanka's print stravaganza 325 photos, 261 members
- Obama's day: an international perspective 47 photos, 13 members
- Funny Street Photography 594 photos, 343 members
- Hardcore Dog Photography 626 photos, 414 members
- Hardcore Animal Farm Photography 592 photos, 295 members
- hardcore tree photography 772 photos, 727 members
- Oatmeal Tyrannosaurus Harmony 478 photos, 334 members
- European Vans 20,828 photos, 1,574 members
Tom Kaszuba says:
"My favorite street photographer. His pictures make me laugh, think and hope. His inspiration is profound. His talent rare. I look forward to seeing his work for many years to come."
25th April, 2010
Maciej Dakowicz says:
"good to have Nils here on flickr! and his high quailty street photography"
20th January, 2009
"The good thing about the whole flickr experience is you get to meet and view the work of some of the World's greatest street photographers. Nils is one of them.
He has the special ability of turning streetscenes, candids and portraits into the glory and freshness of a dream. Nil's has the mastery of giving back to us the awareness of things which have become the habitual objects of our everyday awareness. Every one of his photos is a visual transcendental masterpiece. Very cinematographic and with a humorous lightness of touch and a surreal intensity.
13th February, 2008
John Goldsmith says:
"Brilliant. Clever. Always ready and always aware. Nils is simply ... one of the best!"
26th December, 2007
"not to be missed."
22nd June, 2007
"The best street photographer I have ever seen. Period."
28th May, 2007
"Nils is one of those photographers who reignited my love of the medium. His work shows us that wit, subtilty, spontaneity and generosity still work to make great photographs without the need to exaggerate, manipulate or manufacture a simulacrum of life. I was thrilled when he showed up on Flickr and gave us the chance to see what he is doing now."
30th October, 2006
Luke H says:
"Nils is my favorite photographer on Flickr. He has the gift of knowing how to capture moments creatively and which captures to share with us. I have a saying that goes something like, "If I can do it, it's not art." I can't do what Nils does, and I don't think many people can. I can replicate a lot of what's popular on Flickr, but his stuff falls into my definition of what art is as it applies to photography."
1st September, 2006
"I am constantly amazed by the way Nils captures the perfect split second. Not only to create the perfect shot, but he also manages to generate some kind of clever and subtle narrative, which evolves after looking at the images for some time.
It's a rare and satisfying experience!"
20th March, 2006
- Street Photography by Nils Jorgensen
- February 2004
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Nils Jorgensen
- jorgensen.nils [at] googlemail.com