Greetings! We are the National Register of Historic Places – the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation.
Authorized under the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Register is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect our historic and archeological resources.
Properties listed in the Register include districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that are significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture. There are NR properties are inside National Parks, U.S. Territories, and even shipwrecks. Almost every county in the Untied States has at least one place listed in the National Register.
We highly encourage you to tag our photographs and make comments!
After browsing Flickr, we realized that the public is engaged in and excited about America’s historic places and landmarks. The many pictures posted by users and the numerous Groups created to celebrate these places convinced us that our pictures should be online for the public to view. Thank you for getting us involved!
About The Photographs:
Through each individual picture, collection or set, you can find more information about the properties we have listed. Enjoy the photographs and feel free to learn more about our nation’s historic treasures.
Photographs posted by this account are from the official National Register and National Historic Landmarks archives - courtesy of the respective State Historic Preservation Offices (SHPO) or nomination preparers. Some of our photographs were taken by NR/NHL staff members. We have posted photography in order to increase knowledge of our listings and the history behind their significance. We ask that you take a look at our Copyright Statement before using the pictures. Our second reason for joining was to increase dialogue with you. We encourage Flickr users to post feedback and ask us questions. We may contact you for permission to feature your photography on our website.
To be featured on our website:
Use the creative commons rights on the photograph
Search the National Register!
The National Register of Historic Places is a treasure trove for professional historians, scholars, and anyone curious about American history.
Search a list of properties
Read an ever-growing inventory of full nomination forms online
This account is monitored by the programs’ archivists. The National Register is administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Archivist, National Register of Historic Places
Photos of National Register (7)
- 2013 National Historic Landmark (NHL) Photo Contest 251 photos, 139 members
- New Hampshire Architecture 751 photos, 44 members
- The Revolution Flickred 1775-1783 5,485 photos, 578 members
- Train Engines And Train Cars 6,063 photos, 79 members
- 2012 National Historic Landmark (NHL) Photo Contest 212 photos, 142 members
- Railroad Depots 3,652 photos, 199 members
- Philadelphia Architecture 3,141 photos, 151 members
- Philadelphia: The Charm of the City 25,175 photos, 2,172 members
- 2011 NHL Photo Contest 192 photos, 124 members
- 2011 Mid-Century Modern Georgia photo contest 86 photos, 64 members
- History Happens HERE! St. Louis stories 572 photos, 69 members
- National Register's County Challenge 872 photos, 108 members
- Historic Hudson Valley 242 photos, 99 members
- Sleepy Hollow Country 1,465 photos, 113 members
- Canadian Register of Historic Places 199 photos, 22 members
- 2010 NHL Photo Contest 337 photos, 299 members
- Art Deco - Americas 8,373 photos, 488 members
- Movie Theatres 13,704 photos, 619 members
- Native American Indian Ruins & Artifacts 6,757 photos, 1,053 members
- Idaho 10,287 photos, 422 members
- Black and White Yosemite National Park 1,921 photos, 395 members
- USA.gov - Official U.S. Government Photostreams 1,078 photos, 84 members
- Flickr Gov 6 photos, 34 members
- Archaeology 10,805 photos, 796 members
- Southwestern archaeology 2,967 photos, 295 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 15,879 photos, 1,926 members
- Baltimore Heritage 2,549 photos, 128 members
- HBCU(Historically Black Colleges and Universities) Campus Photos 854 photos, 39 members
- Forgotten Towns of the Eastern United States 3,164 photos, 73 members
- Habitação Nativa - Native Dwelling 2,397 photos, 412 members
- Connecticut 21,420 photos, 839 members
- Historical Sites Of The U.S. 2,388 photos, 136 members
- Minnesota History Center 184 photos, 54 members
- MNSAH -- Minnesota Chapter Society of Architectural Historians 91 photos, 10 members
- Art Deco Puerto Rico 289 photos, 30 members
- Old Textile Mills 5,798 photos, 431 members
- Old Mills Anywhere 4,987 photos, 698 members
- Historic One-Room Schoolhouses of America 2,141 photos, 303 members
- National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) Photo Contest 279 photos, 200 members
- Kentucky History 610 photos, 33 members
- Steel Industry 10,712 photos, 1,147 members
- Louis Sullivan, Architect 881 photos, 167 members
- Modern Bank Architecture 1,066 photos, 127 members
- Wyoming "The Cowboy State" 12,264 photos, 578 members
- CEMETERIES - Western Ghost Towns and Mining Camps 522 photos, 146 members
- MISSOURI ARCHITECTURE 1,900 photos, 76 members
- Missouri State Parks / Historical Areas 5,196 photos, 326 members
- American South in Black & White 10,939 photos, 362 members
- Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail 412 photos, 43 members
- War of 1812 Monuments (America-British) 316 photos, 56 members
Legacy Images says:
"The National Register is a wonderful program that allows the preservation efforts of the Department of Interior to spread beyond the scope of the National Park Service. The photography collections that the National Register has taken the time to create on Flicrk provide viewers with a tangible history of the storied past of our collective heritage. I encourage students of the history of all ages to explore and learn about the historic sites that represent all Americans - past, present, and future.
31st October, 2010
"As a photographer of places on the National Register, I love having the actual National Register photos up on Flickr to compare and contrast. Keep up the good work!"
17th July, 2010
"The National Register is making a great contribution to Flickr by showing various properties around the nation with historic significance. This is a great way for the public to learn about places that reflect American heritage. I look forward to seeing more properties posted. Thank you for initiating this project!"
2nd April, 2010
"Love the photos. An abundance of photos about historical places and buildings."
1st April, 2010
- National Register of Historic Places
- March 2009
- Washington, D.C., United States
- National Register of Historic Places
- nrhp_nhl [at] yahoo.com