Greetings! We are the National Register of Historic Places – the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation.
Authorized under the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Register is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect our historic and archeological resources.
Properties listed in the Register include districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that are significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture. There are NR properties are inside National Parks, U.S. Territories, and even shipwrecks. Almost every county in the Untied States has at least one place listed in the National Register.
We highly encourage you to tag our photographs and make comments!
After browsing Flickr, we realized that the public is engaged in and excited about America’s historic places and landmarks. The many pictures posted by users and the numerous Groups created to celebrate these places convinced us that our pictures should be online for the public to view. Thank you for getting us involved!
About The Photographs:
Through each individual picture, collection or set, you can find more information about the properties we have listed. Enjoy the photographs and feel free to learn more about our nation’s historic treasures.
Photographs posted by this account are from the official National Register and National Historic Landmarks archives - courtesy of the respective State Historic Preservation Offices (SHPO) or nomination preparers. Some of our photographs were taken by NR/NHL staff members. We have posted photography in order to increase knowledge of our listings and the history behind their significance. We ask that you take a look at our Copyright Statement before using the pictures. Our second reason for joining was to increase dialogue with you. We encourage Flickr users to post feedback and ask us questions. We may contact you for permission to feature your photography on our website.
To be featured on our website:
Use the creative commons rights on the photograph
Search the National Register!
The National Register of Historic Places is a treasure trove for professional historians, scholars, and anyone curious about American history.
Search a list of properties
Read an ever-growing inventory of full nomination forms online
This account is monitored by the programs’ archivists. The National Register is administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Archivist, National Register of Historic Places
Photos of National Register (7)
- 2013 National Historic Landmark (NHL) Photo Contest 84 photos, 72 members
- New Hampshire Architecture 720 photos, 41 members
- The Revolution Flickred 1775-1783 5,263 photos, 567 members
- Train Engines And Train Cars 4,654 photos, 70 members
- 2012 National Historic Landmark (NHL) Photo Contest 211 photos, 143 members
- Railroad Depots 3,179 photos, 189 members
- Philadelphia Architecture 2,870 photos, 149 members
- Philadelphia: The Charm of the City 22,710 photos, 2,133 members
- 2011 NHL Photo Contest 192 photos, 124 members
- 2011 Mid-Century Modern Georgia photo contest 81 photos, 63 members
- History Happens HERE! St. Louis stories 532 photos, 67 members
- National Register's County Challenge 873 photos, 103 members
- Historic Hudson Valley 224 photos, 94 members
- Sleepy Hollow Country 1,422 photos, 110 members
- Canadian Register of Historic Places 235 photos, 21 members
- 2010 NHL Photo Contest 337 photos, 304 members
- Art Deco - Americas 8,157 photos, 487 members
- Movie Theatres 13,143 photos, 600 members
- Native American Indian Ruins & Artifacts 6,597 photos, 1,039 members
- Idaho 9,649 photos, 387 members
- Black and White Yosemite National Park 1,837 photos, 392 members
- USA.gov - Official U.S. Government Photostreams 797 photos, 79 members
- Flickr Gov 6 photos, 34 members
- Archaeology 9,824 photos, 750 members
- Southwestern archaeology 2,927 photos, 291 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 15,287 photos, 1,925 members
- Baltimore Heritage 2,043 photos, 126 members
- HBCU(Historically Black Colleges and Universities) Campus Photos 868 photos, 37 members
- Forgotten Towns of the Eastern United States 2,753 photos, 69 members
- Habitação Nativa - Native Dwelling 2,326 photos, 417 members
- Connecticut - Read the Rules Before Posting 20,762 photos, 824 members
- Historical Sites Of The U.S. 2,417 photos, 133 members
- Minnesota History Center 171 photos, 53 members
- MNSAH -- Minnesota Chapter Society of Architectural Historians 67 photos, 9 members
- Art Deco Puerto Rico 289 photos, 29 members
- Old Textile Mills 5,592 photos, 425 members
- Old Mills Anywhere 4,663 photos, 669 members
- Historic One-Room Schoolhouses of America 2,155 photos, 298 members
- National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) Photo Contest 277 photos, 188 members
- Kentucky History 603 photos, 28 members
- Steel Industry 10,220 photos, 1,116 members
- Louis Sullivan, Architect 848 photos, 168 members
- Modern Bank Architecture 985 photos, 127 members
- Wyoming "The Cowboy State" 10,866 photos, 512 members
- CEMETERIES - Western Ghost Towns and Mining Camps 514 photos, 143 members
- MISSOURI ARCHITECTURE 1,673 photos, 75 members
- Missouri State Parks / Historical Areas 5,115 photos, 305 members
- American South in Black & White 10,543 photos, 359 members
- Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail 412 photos, 44 members
- War of 1812 Monuments (America-British) 295 photos, 53 members
Legacy Images says:
"The National Register is a wonderful program that allows the preservation efforts of the Department of Interior to spread beyond the scope of the National Park Service. The photography collections that the National Register has taken the time to create on Flicrk provide viewers with a tangible history of the storied past of our collective heritage. I encourage students of the history of all ages to explore and learn about the historic sites that represent all Americans - past, present, and future.
31st October, 2010
"As a photographer of places on the National Register, I love having the actual National Register photos up on Flickr to compare and contrast. Keep up the good work!"
17th July, 2010
"The National Register is making a great contribution to Flickr by showing various properties around the nation with historic significance. This is a great way for the public to learn about places that reflect American heritage. I look forward to seeing more properties posted. Thank you for initiating this project!"
2nd April, 2010
"Love the photos. An abundance of photos about historical places and buildings."
1st April, 2010
- National Register of Historic Places
- March 2009
- Washington, D.C., United States
- National Register of Historic Places
- nrhp_nhl [at] yahoo.com