Life in Nanning - My Blog
Nanning is a city of 1.5 million people in the southern province of Guangxi, China. It is 3 hours from the Vietnam border and has a sub-tropical climate. It's where I have lived for the past 4 years. My photos let you see China through my eyes. Come and catch a glimpse of one of the fastest changing societies in the world.
Although most of my photos are of Life in Nanning, there are also some from my trips to Vietnam, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong and Malaysia.
I currently use a Canon Powershot G9 which is a point and shoot camera. Although I sometimes would love to have a DSLR with lots of expensive lens, I find the G9 gets me lots of wonderful photos simply because I take it with me where ever I go. As some say, the best camera is the one that's with you when you want to take a photo.
Some of my best loved photos by the Flickr community so far this year.
And here's some of the favorites from 2006 & 2007.
Photos of Life in AsiaNZ (1)
- JapanSoc (Daily Photo) 4,460 photos, 186 members
- Traditional World's Costumes 6,418 photos, 799 members
- Color Photo Award - GOLD -- **Qualified photos only** 3,572 photos, 765 members
- Out and about in the rain 1,742 photos, 684 members
- 100 faves, 100 comments and 1000 views (p1/f1/c1) 2,267 photos, 341 members
- FAV Lovers : Post 1 and Fav 3 22,302 photos, 2,373 members
- MY CAMERA NEVER LIES (P1+A3)Sweeper Active 251,764 photos, 16,216 members
- !Group Tripod (post1~comment4) 349,522 photos, 16,080 members
- Addicted to Flickr (Quality images only!+Comment3) 67,023 photos, 7,191 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [No frames/signatures] 39,169 photos, 5,010 members
- Flickr members against free photos 376 photos, 199 members
- The Gallery Of Fine PORTRAIT Photography [No frames/signatures] 32,698 photos, 5,296 members
- Brands in China 172 photos, 28 members
- Portrait of India, Laos, Burma, Vietnam, Cambodia... 14,805 photos, 688 members
- "South and Southeast Asian LIFE" - geotagged 51,507 photos, 1,398 members
- Bonjour Vietnam-P1/A3- RESULT Contest BEST of 2011 62,197 photos, 3,706 members
- Chester City and its outskirts 8,571 photos, 545 members
- Fireworks galore 1,036 photos, 578 members
- The Woman in Red 1,556 photos, 365 members
- Viet Nam Dep - Beautiful Vietnam 14,731 photos, 732 members
- [ETHNIC.FASHION] 441 photos, 65 members
- Color Photo Award - SILVER - **Qualified photos only** 2,050 photos, 1,197 members
- EYE OF INSPIRATION & HAPPINESS (AWARD 3) NO COMMENT=BAN 108,726 photos, 7,843 members
- AWESOME ASIA post 1, award 3 (Join Us Please) 78,246 photos, 3,869 members
- ++ Everywhere/Nowhere ++ 1,629 photos, 167 members
- Maoism | 毛泽东主义 587 photos, 315 members
- Color Photo Award - BRONZE - **Qualified photos only** 8,048 photos, 2,752 members
- Asia Portraits - 亞洲人像創作 - 78,861 photos, 3,157 members
- Travel on 5 Photos a Day 164,122 photos, 4,765 members
- <3 Cute Cute Asian Girls <3 16,342 photos, 2,059 members
- Asian 31,520 photos, 2,733 members
- 10 Million Photos 8,536,341 photos, 65,691 members
- WPP(Woman Portrait Photography) 10,016 photos, 429 members
- Asian Girls' Faces 18,573 photos, 1,264 members
- The Portrait Group 2,058,544 photos, 130,618 members
- Asian Lanterns 4,153 photos, 697 members
- Asians of the World 59,632 photos, 1,617 members
- Asian Girl Next Door 115,267 photos, 7,108 members
- An asian dream 54,617 photos, 3,277 members
- Asian Girls: your original work only, no photos found on the web 80,081 photos, 7,222 members
- The Unexplained, Orbs or Ghostly apparitions, Welcome! 445 photos, 492 members
- sand sculptures 4,674 photos, 517 members
- ColaLife 369 photos, 424 members
- 告別 映像 - Farewell Photography 221 photos, 316 members
- 6 Million People (Add one portrait of everyone you see) 160,583 photos, 17,113 members
- Hardcore China Street Photography 3,593 photos, 476 members
- For the love of grandchildren... 70 photos, 12 members
- *GreatPixGallery 300 Faves+ 1,628 photos, 324 members
- Creative Photo Group_ BASIC (P1-C3) 469,751 photos, 28,817 members
- Temple Roofs of Asia 640 photos, 70 members
"from Flickr Giants Group
Are you looking for some new photos? So this photostream is the place you should visit frequently. Michael is one of the most productive flickr photographers with a real wide collection. It is absolutely interesting to follow this artistic evolution.
Besides he is on the straight way to become a Flickr Giant.
Marco – The Dwarf"
17th December, 2008
"I love his photos and it is amazing what he can do with a 'simple' point and click camera. I've been to Nanning and these photos really capture the beauty of this city in great china. Well done!"
24th July, 2008
Rhoda H says:
"Here is a photographer that proves it isn't the camera that matters, but the eye behind it. In this day and age where advanced technology screams to be used, that's some achievement."
9th May, 2008
"Just wanted to drop a line for one of my favorite photographers on Flickr. He originally inspired me to buy the G9, and many other people as well I have no doubt.
I am always motivated to get the most out of my P&S because of what I've seen possible from him.
The variety of photography he has mastery over seems to have no limit.
He has taught me almost everything I know about photography and I am humbled by his constant support."
28th April, 2008
Michael Steverson says:
"I first discovered Michael's work even before I came to China. As I was preparing for my own Chinese adventure, I would often check out photos of China here on Flickr. Nearly every night for 6 months, even before I owned a camera, I found myself gravitating toward his photostream. I still remember sitting at my desk in Colorado looking at his photos with my jaw open.
After spending a day with him in Nanning, I can say with all honesty, the man is nothing short of brilliant. Humble, gracious, kind, a fantastic photographer and a better man. His "Life In Nanning" portrays China as few outside of this country get to see it. His work moves me, it makes me feel something, and that is what all great art should do I think.
He may be surprised to hear it, but he is greatly responsible for my growth as a photographer, teaching me how to start taking photographs and stop taking snapshots. He has great eyes and simply produces images that I am not capable of. Now, if he could only learn how to ride a bike.
This is the first Flickr testimonial I've ever written and to be frank it is long overdue. I am proud to know this man, proud to call him my friend. Treat yourself and spend some time discovering Asia in his photostream."
26th April, 2008
"'Life in nanning' give us the chance to visit china without traveling ! he has a magical way of changing our mind about China !
Thanks a lot for the time you spend taking all those nice picture of the LIFE IN NANNING !
GREAT WORK !"
10th March, 2008
I found him on www.flickr.com by accident!!
As a foreigner living & learning Chinese in China, is a very challenging experience in his life.
However, he is so kind in investing his time & resources & sharing all his images with us.
I am very very impress with the Quality & Standard of each of his image. All are superb......
You would enjoy like I do when you are here to discover.....
I am sure he would be a great Imaging Artist within days!!
You are great.
I appreciate your everything....."
18th November, 2007
"Chinapix 有一双富于观察的眼睛和把对异族文化的敏感巧妙地透过镜头反映出来的天赋.他很幸运地生活在一个尚未被中国的现代化完全淹没的城市, 从而能够发现一些在许多其它城市已经消失的东西.
Chinapix has observing eyes and the raw talent to represent his sensitivity on Chinese cultural/social phenomenon through the lens. He is lucky enough to live in a city where the modernization has not completely claimed the victory so he is able to find something very interesting and something that has long gone from many other cities.
Thanks for sharing."
20th June, 2006
"You pictures are wonderful."
16th May, 2006
- February 2006
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Life in Nanning Blog