to be alerted to my new Flickr uploads.
Some of my photos on Flickr are available on Getty Images for rights managed licensing. Here's my Flickr set showing all images asked to be submitted to Getty Images. Here are the images currently available on the Getty website.
Licensing / Photo Usage:
All of my photographs are copyright © Marc Shandro, All Rights Reserved. Please contact me first if you are interested in using any of my photographs for any purpose. More details here:
Marc Shandro Photography
I donate about 25% of all my photo sales to Kiva (www.kiva.org) which is an amazing micro-finance organization. So if you license one of my photos, you're making a donation to Kiva too!
From the kiva website: "It's a non-profit that allows you to lend as little as $25 to a specific low-income entrepreneur across the globe. You choose who to lend to - whether a baker in Afghanistan, a goat herder in Uganda, a farmer in Peru, a restaurateur in Cambodia, or a tailor in Iraq - and as they repay their loan, you get your money back. It's a powerful and sustainable way to empower someone right now to lift themselves out of poverty."
You can see all the people around the world that I have given loans on my Kiva profile here: www.kiva.org/lender/marc4334
I urge you to get involved!
Photography is an endlessly engaging and enriching endeavor. There is a lot to learn and so many accomplished people in this field to learn from. I enjoy the process of self-discovery and from the beginning of this pursuit, I’ve reminded myself to lean toward my heart and instinct as part of the learning process. My primary objective in all of this is to find places that fill me with wonder. It doesn’t matter if they are easy or hard to get to, popular or not, the important part is to open my senses to the moment. Sometimes it requires hiking an hour or two before dawn to see the sun rise in a magical spot. Getting the photograph is important too, but somewhat secondary to just enjoying where I am. My thinking is that if I focus too much on “getting the shot”, I miss the experience – it’s a delicate balance.
I want my portfolio to reveal the many faces of the wilderness, conveying the enduring and sometimes fleeting beauty, wonder and magic in the world. I appreciate the environments and places I explore and I want to show that they are worth respecting and honoring.
Aligning with my interests in nature and landscape photography, I joined the staff at *ABW* Gallery. It's a beautiful gallery showcasing tremendous photographs from hundreds of very talented photographers here on Flickr. Check it out!
A Bit of My Background:
My career as a software developer and later as a software development manager has been a fortunate one. In 1990 I had the opportunity to become one of three founders of a little company in Calgary to build an oil & gas exploration software package called AccuMap. The success of that product took off in 1993 and the product is still being used by many professionals today in the Calgary oil patch. In 2006 that journey came to an end and a new one began to unfold. Since then I’ve had more good fortune to pursue my love of travel and photography exclusively.
Quotes that I like:
"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us or we find it not". - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." - Ernst Haas
"F8 and be there." - Allen Hopkins
"A photographers work is given shape and style by his personal vision. It is not simply technique, but the way he looks at life and the world around him." - Pete Turner
"The best zoom lens is your legs." - Ernst Haas
"In wisdom gathered over time I have found that every experience is a form of exploration." - Ansel Adams
"Seeing, in the finest and broadest sense, means using your senses, your intellect, and your emotions. It means encountering your subject matter with your whole being. It means looking beyond the labels of things and discovering the remarkable world around you." - Freeman Patterson
Why [do people] take delight in the landscapes? Because the din of the dusty world and the locked-in-ness of human habitations are what human nature habitually abhors; while on the contrary, haze, mist, and the haunting spirits of the mountains are what human nature seeks, and yet can rarely find. - Guo Xi
"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain
- for all the kind comments from so many interesting people around the Flickr world. There are incredibly talented photographers out there and it's fun to be a part of this global community of over 51 million registered members and 81 million visitors worldwide.
- to my wonderful kids for being who they are and enjoying adventures together with dad.
- to my partner Debbie who shares passions for the special wilderness places in the world and traveling together to experience them.
This is my hand picked set of my favorite images. Click on any thumbnail to see the whole set on black.
This set of 500 is automatically generated based on Flickr's mysterious "interestingness" algorithm.
- Absolute Quality Gallery ~ Invite only 755 photos, 876 members
- Calgary 2013 Flood YYCFlood 1,418 photos, 139 members
- Stereophotography 47,765 photos, 2,391 members
- Anaglyphic 3D 9,707 photos, 202 members
- Anaglyph (Red-Cyan 3D Pictures) 66,511 photos, 3,490 members
- Área pública de lazer - Public Leisure Area 1,515 photos, 349 members
- 3D GRUPPO ANAGLIFICO - !! Window violations admitted !! 28,339 photos, 586 members
- ANAGLYPHS 12,444 photos, 215 members
- anaglyph 1,477 photos, 89 members
- 3D 20,389 photos, 339 members
- 100 Famous Mountains of Canada 727 photos, 86 members
- The book cover club 283 photos, 103 members
- Time Lapse Videos 6,989 photos, 3,202 members
- Timelapse Videos 6,573 photos, 3,287 members
- flickr Stock Artists 979 photos, 109 members
- MEC photo submissions 5,259 photos, 862 members
- Nikon D300 Users 534,920 photos, 17,065 members
- The Best Photo You've Ever Taken 320 photos, 636 members
- Galen Rowell Tribute 2,932 photos, 242 members
- THE ARTISTS Club 20,466 photos, 1,262 members
- panoramas 265,301 photos, 35,999 members
- Landscape Exhibition 25,486 photos, 10,119 members
- Colors of Nature (NO B&W): contest = RED 52,320 photos, 2,500 members
- WorldLandscapes 224,108 photos, 8,211 members
- The Best: BRAVO (INVITED images only) 60,962 photos, 7,631 members
- Zen Enlightenment 95,782 photos, 6,552 members
- Nature & Landscapes 109,404 photos, 5,420 members
- The Nature Conservancy 608,652 photos, 35,143 members
- Luminous Landscapes 8,784 photos, 1,437 members
- Night Images 938,519 photos, 121,486 members
- CityScape 522,013 photos, 19,525 members
- Birds Photos 1,302,243 photos, 52,641 members
- Bird Perfect/Each Photo By Invite Only 10,869 photos, 2,023 members
- Excellence In Avian Photography (EIAP) -- INVITED IMAGES (2/day) 67,682 photos, 8,272 members
- *Flickr Photo Award* 163,362 photos, 8,193 members
- 1-2-3 Mountains 5,377 photos, 337 members
- 1-2-3 KIDS (1 a Day) 76,778 photos, 6,118 members
- Adobe Lightroom 23,205 photos, 22,529 members
- Beautiful Capture 2,567,080 photos, 84,582 members
- Laughing Matters Photos & Videos---P1/C1 Sweeper not running 707 photos, 1,395 members
- Nature Watching (Post 1 : Award 2) 200,227 photos, 12,979 members
- Threatened Species (Wild & Red listed) 3,535 photos, 502 members
- FlickrsBest the original 96,665 photos, 14,783 members
- Presetting Lightroom 51,768 photos, 11,234 members
- Natural PATTERNS, Shapes, and Textures (moderated) 26,477 photos, 3,226 members
- Flickr Diamond - Invited Photos ONLY 114,908 photos, 21,975 members
- Natural Landscapes 17,530 photos, 3,452 members
- The Essence of Capture Nature / Selected photos only 451 photos, 185 members
- Nature Abstracted 9,755 photos, 2,869 members
- A natural landscapes photo group (please read the rules) 133,790 photos, 9,571 members
"In a previous lifetime Marc might’ve been a migratory bird. Now he’s an inveterate scout, a globalist. His omnivorous passion for travel has taken him all over North America, through Alaska, South America, Europe and India, with missionary zeal to share his undying sense of wonder from the wilderness wherever he goes. He came back from South America in August 2007 with 11,000 pictures, a thousand from Machu Picchu alone, elated as a child at show-and-tell. Photographs by Marc Shandro are honest & straightforward ~~ which is becoming rare these days ~~ and often brilliant & impeccable from a fiercely discerning eye and unquenchable thirst for technical & compositional excellence. He’s a completist as well, frequently furnishing maps, links and informative notes for his growing trove of pictures. This man is a fountainhead on Flickr, deeply devoted to honoring natural splendors of the world, and his stream runneth over with visual elixirs."
28th January, 2008
"Here is a testimonial from Marc's Mother,
Because I can only write glowing praise of my son's curious mind, adventuresome spirit, and endless patience as he digitally captures what his eye for beauty beholds, I don't think a testimonial from me is very valid, so I am not going to write one. :)"
1st July, 2006
- Marc Shandro
- August 2005
- Calgary, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Life Maestro