MissYucki is an organically evolving art /design project and brand conceived by Alba Poretti and Kathleen Cameron.
The MissYucki project has taken its core inspiration from experiences based on the magic and mayhem of Johannesburg. Johannesburg is our home and starting point and from this focus we have explored African folklore and incorporated our experiences from our many travels.
We have created a character named MissyYucki, whose fantastical world is based on Johannesburg. MissYucki’s world in populated with many characters, like the muti monsters, her magic trolley and the pageant princesses.
Using a range of mediums; including illustration, character design, accessory design, doll making and of course story telling we create scenes and themes from her mythology as well as accessories and novelties inspired by the characters story.
Since her modest beginnings in 2004, Miss Yucki has grown into a complex and multifaceted concept and lifestyle that embodies both the unfolding narrative of the character MissYucki as well as our personal artistic aesthetics and views.
We have been involved in multiple exhibitions, shows and projects in South Africa, New York, North Carolina, Japan, Barcelona, Mozambique, Rotterdam and beyond.
We continue to use MissYucki as a vehicle for exploration of our own identities within the context of South Africa as well as investigate various themes evident in daily life in urban Africa. In this way we try to subtly explore questions of urbanism, race, heritage, identity, and new Africanism and add to that a splash of sparkle and playful whimsical charm. More broadly we take inspiration from anthropology ,giant cities, glitter, dreams, folklore and technology.
We live far away from each other, Kat in Spain and Alba in America so MissYucki is also an excellent platform to keep our ideas together and allow us share our experiences and creations. It is a labor of love and the project as a whole as well as the characters and story we create and the products we produce grow and evolve as our experiences do.
As a result of this Yucki, intercontinental affair we have found that the most effective way to keep the MissYucki story and project alive is through our website www.missyucki.com. Missyucki.com is where all our ideas live, it is a creative zone fuelled by our adventures and dreams and in many ways it is a living wonder chamber that catalogues and archives our creations, our stories and our inspirations.
We do not, at this stage, create seasonal collections or have centralized production. Our work is created in limited editions, usually by order and the bulk of our work is carefully hand crafted. As a result of this MissYucki products are both rare and collectable. They are not mass produced items but rather unique and detailed art pieces.
We do allot of bespoke work and are always open to create special MissYucki items for people. We love to fulfill people’s wishes and work with them to bring to life curious MissYucki wonders and objects of desire. We have created a wild array of goodies including giant cakes, bespoke apparel, costumes, murals, monster piñatas, hand crafted toys in all shapes and sizes, cocktail hats, handbags, purses, tattoos ,underwear, and illustrations.
Our output is as diverse and creative as our fascinating clients and in many ways this amenability combined with our focus on the conjured world of MissYucki is what differentiates our brand.
Just as the character of MissYucki trawls the streets of Johannesburg and enchanted muti powered dream zones for treasures and surprises, we, the artists, travel the world lapping up new experiences , studying, exploring and discovering fresh ways to tell our story and grow the character of MissYucki through our stories and the creations we make. MissYucki creations transcend fashion trends , we prefer to avoid disposable fashion. Rather, each piece is imbued with great care and thought and we hope that these little luxuries will continue to tell their story long after the are designed and sold.
MissYucki the character is a little pavement princess from Johannesburg, South Africa. She lives with her muti monsters, magic trolley and all the other gutter beasties that lurk in the city
She loves to dream travel and concoct potions because she is a little witch doctor in training.
MissYucki's ultimate ambition is to be crowned queen of all the little miss beauty pageants. She wants to be the ultimate glam yucki princess and spread pageant power far and wide.
MissYucki loves to play dress up. She is a master of disguise and her super power is in fact her pageant power. She is always on the look out for dashing new styles, outfits and ways to transform herself. She is never far from her accessories, and loves to try on new outfits for her pageants.
From pavement trash-treasure trawling outfits to glam sparkle puff jumpsuits for her african-muti cursing escapades, MissYucki sashays about town and reveals a myriad of dress up identities to suite her many playful moods!
Join MissYucki on facebook;
Visit the MissYucki website:
- Urbex :: SA 1,499 photos, 265 members
- stickerCombo stuttgart 446 photos, 767 members
- Antique Animals 2,529 photos, 287 members
- THE CANDY KILLER SOCIETY. 302 photos, 97 members
- Sketch NOW! 2,469 photos, 490 members
- Paper toys 2,157 photos, 756 members
- art shop 4,775 photos, 621 members
- Archivo Callejero 56,585 photos, 1,320 members
- Petite Wanderlings 1,014 photos, 544 members
- Artist Signature Characters 804 photos, 99 members
- ClickforArt.com 29,475 photos, 3,754 members
- Poor ugly infants 661 photos, 254 members
- Yatabazah 228 photos, 498 members
- Stick Me Hard! - International Street Art Exhibition 6,656 photos, 1,099 members
- PHOTO & FILM EXPO 673 photos, 513 members
- Ropa lúdica! = Playful clothes! 6,441 photos, 969 members
- mail exchange paper art -20x30-8''x12''--100gr.-- 244 photos, 108 members
- mail exchange art 79,462 photos, 2,251 members
- I HEART FIFI LAPIN 493 photos, 538 members
- Artworks on Paper 266,699 photos, 11,422 members
- Artists And Their Art 135,847 photos, 6,055 members
- I Love ETSY 13,327 photos, 790 members
- Etsy - Look and Learn 115,146 photos, 7,497 members
- Great Creation Online Stores 2,049 photos, 162 members
- I Like Characters.com 19,845 photos, 1,071 members
- * Magical Worlds * Comment per Post Required! 61,099 photos, 3,600 members
- *SHARING ART*( POST 1, COMMENT 1) Sweeper Running 90,603 photos, 5,675 members
- STREET he-ART 58 photos, 16 members
- art lovers 33,937 photos, 1,528 members
- Avant-Garden 23,675 photos, 2,397 members
- Fruits - Japanese street fashion 1,753 photos, 2,339 members
- Art Journal 88,184 photos, 4,814 members
- *DollRoOm* 4,668 photos, 169 members
- Art - Eye of the Beholder! 144,531 photos, 5,497 members
- TOYS TAKE OVER 62,501 photos, 1,313 members
- Toysaholic Anonymous 133,867 photos, 2,754 members
- ART DISTRICT 423,023 photos, 16,391 members
- Drawing: We do it everyday 146,149 photos, 5,991 members
- Experimental Dream 141,908 photos, 7,208 members
- Adobe PhotoShop Creations 196,832 photos, 16,026 members
- .:Utterly Surreal:. 292,988 photos, 18,205 members
- ART / REAL 102,235 photos, 4,782 members
- PHOTOSHOP ART (Celebrating the Art of Photoshop) 159,164 photos, 12,714 members
- STREETART 531,919 photos, 27,853 members
- Grafitti & Street Art 254,419 photos, 6,641 members
- Joburg 1,406 photos, 88 members
- Johannesburg 6,288 photos, 373 members
- South Africa 94,645 photos, 4,296 members
- Bizarre Illustrations & Drawings & Arts 115,871 photos, 6,631 members
- Art and Artists. 300,105 photos, 17,440 members
MissYucki doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Miss Yucki's Wonder Chamber
- May 2008
- Johannesburg + San Francisco + Barcelona, South Africa
- I am:
- Aprentice Witchdoctor
- MissYucki's Wonder Chamber