I don't try shoot things as they 'really are' -- I shoot them as you may remember them, or as how you might describe them years from now, or dreamed about them last night. Call it 'Visionary Photography' if you want to put a box around it.
I'm not rich. I have two good cameras, a D3 and D800. Shortly after I bought each of them my utilities were shut off.
Things I like: Panoramic photography, hdr panos, shooting at sunrise, low light photography, long exposures, and hdr panos shot at night. Things I really really like: Constructive criticism, watching other photographers do their thing, moments of blind inspiration, the very rare unexpectedly awesome capture, fast hard drives, cheap ram and doing amazingly stupid things for only the best of reasons.
You can reach me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via my Michael Holden Photography page at www.facebook.com/MichaelHoldenPhotography or even give me a call at 206 535 5163
Image use FAQs
How can I license an image? Just go to my site and fill out the form at michaelholden.com/license-image
Can I use your photo on my Facebook page/desktop? I'm honored when people use my photos for their computer desktop or in their personal profiles. Go for it, that's why I make 'em. Please don't use them in a promotional context, or for a company's social network page without getting a license to do so first.
Where can I buy your Burning Man photos?I don't sell Burning Man photos over the internet. (This is a good thing, really!). My Burning Man work is available in galleries from time to time. I make uber-high-quality prints of a limited number of images for friends and family, these are available "at cost". Send me email with any questions.
Where can I buy non-Burning Man prints Other prints will soon be available on MichaelHolden.com
You photographed my art installation/performance/etc, could I get an electronic copy to promote my upcoming show/for my portfolio? Most of the time the answer is yes, absolutely, I'd be delighted to help and can even do custom crops and color treatments to suit. Sometimes things are more complicated, so send me email and we'll work it out.
Can I use your photo on my blog or website? If the blog is not associated with a commercial enterprise, produced by a corporate entity or obviously monetized (no commerce, no ads etc), yes. I'd appreciate a heads up. You must give me credit and link back to the original photo page on Flickr.
What about corporate blogs, for-profit editorial media, editorial news sites, magazines, films, student videos and documentaries? It depends on too many things to answer here. Commercial editorial and print/broadcast media peeps, it's in your best interests to contact me well ahead of press date so we can get everything squared away. Please don't use my photos in these contexts without approval. My rates are competitive with what you'd pay *if* images like these were available via Getty & co. Don't ask to use my work for free unless you and your team are also working for free, and don't expect me to license my work to you for free because you're famous. As they say, you can die from exposure. Personally, I find starvation more appealing.
Can I use your Burning Man images on my company website, or to sell, advertise or promote something? No. Never, don't do it. But you can hire me to make some images for you that will be totally awesome. Email me.
- So simple, so beautiful! 278,956 photos, 12,310 members
- Fog and Rain 207,574 photos, 41,995 members
- Seattle HDR 1,111 photos, 128 members
- Seattle Transit Blog Flickr Pool 10,781 photos, 224 members
- Beautiful Scenery & Landscapes 465,561 photos, 28,075 members
- HDR City... 11,240 photos, 731 members
- Cemeteries of the United States 14,428 photos, 670 members
- Cemeteries - Cementerios - Friedhoefe - Cimetières - Cimiteri 115,740 photos, 6,920 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 241,716 photos, 35,113 members
- New Orleans Photography 45,009 photos, 2,443 members
- Dope Ass Graff! 24,010 photos, 786 members
- BLUE BLUE BLUE 148,291 photos, 8,538 members
- 360° 17,015 photos, 1,876 members
- Equirectangular 12,491 photos, 1,542 members
- HDR Equirectangular 444 photos, 63 members
- The Flour Mill 285 photos, 42 members
- Spooky 54,443 photos, 5,162 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 52,972 photos, 1,431 members
- Art of Urbex 66,567 photos, 2,343 members
- Abandoned Dark Creepy 60,262 photos, 2,572 members
- Northwest Outdoors 91,857 photos, 2,834 members
- Seattle Photographers 19,900 photos, 626 members
- *****City Night Lights***** - - Luces de la ciudad nocturna - - 53,310 photos, 5,537 members
- Get Married at City Hall 629 photos, 39 members
- HDR:Striving Toward Excellence: POST 1/ AWARD 2 56,367 photos, 2,516 members
- Sounders FC 949 photos, 55 members
- Seattle Sounders FC 1,272 photos, 210 members
- Urbex :: Urban Exploration 209,373 photos, 8,985 members
- Abandoned 703,589 photos, 49,454 members
- Urban Decay 358,703 photos, 29,895 members
- Abandoned Places and Things 357,684 photos, 12,874 members
- Abandoned, Neglected, Weathered, or Rusty 313,345 photos, 10,503 members
- Wonders of Oxidation 41,002 photos, 7,867 members
- Urban Exploration - Exploring Abandonments 190,499 photos, 8,869 members
- urban explorers 190,775 photos, 8,080 members
- Burning Man 2013 : Cargo Cult 1,812 photos, 105 members
- Temple of Juno - Burning Man 2012 179 photos, 35 members
- Burning Man CORE project 458 photos, 27 members
- Beautiful Mountains 33,606 photos, 2,617 members
- Mountain Atmosphere 269 photos, 253 members
- Beautiful Pacific Northwest 15,352 photos, 331 members
- ***This should be a Postcard!*** 150,275 photos, 7,128 members
- City and Architecture 17,624 photos, 1,714 members
- All Day I Dream About Photography 93,712 photos, 3,759 members
- TTHDR (True Tone High Dynamic Range) 28,639 photos, 2,536 members
- PHOTOS STOLEN 332 photos, 463 members
- Mount Rainier 3,422 photos, 674 members
- The FLICKYS !!! 523,525 photos, 17,366 members
- Global Photojournalism 378,407 photos, 22,342 members
- Photography Magazine, I Heart 250,129 photos, 12,140 members
"What can I say about Michael's art that they don't already say for themselves. Nothing, really. MIchael rocks, and his art rocks."
9th November, 2012
- Michael Holden
- September 2004
- Seattle, USA
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Photographer, Panoramist, deep-bit imaging specialist
- michael [at] michaelholden.com