(Formerly known as argusmaniac) -- I have been photographing since I was a teen, but really only started taking photography seriously in 1999. Favorite subjects are nature, found objects, landscapes, and decrepit buildings. Black and White is my preferred medium, and I shoot quite a bit of medium format as well as 35mm. Camera collecting is another thing I enjoy, restricting myself to Argus and Twin-lens reflex cameras. Otherwise, it would be chaos. Oh wait, it is already chaos... My Flickr photostream is pretty representative of my chaotic shooting -- all kinds of cameras, subjects, and techniques.
If you see an image of mine that you'd like hanging on your wall, I do sell b&w silver prints of my b&w work. Color prints are also available, but I do not process those myself. If you would like to use any of my works - all are copyrighted by me, and I charge (a reasonable fee) for their use.
Favorite photographers: Edward Weston, Imogen Cunningham, Ansel Adams, Brett Weston, Freeman Patterson, among others..
Visit my website below to purchase images.
- Travel Light Photography - TLP 27,956 photos, 1,535 members
- Nikon1 6,522 photos, 651 members
- Nikon 1 Cameras 7,852 photos, 1,515 members
- Lomography Belair 901 photos, 226 members
- Historic Camera 2,316 photos, 118 members
- Michigan Cemetery Photos 191 photos, 15 members
- Jackson, Michigan 968 photos, 69 members
- Tintypes, ambrotypes, Wet-plate Collodion photographs 8,852 photos, 1,634 members
- Debonair Super Lens 1:8/60 506 photos, 67 members
- C-Mount / Cine lens art photography club 890 photos, 506 members
- Pictures of Ohio 5,664 photos, 50 members
- Olympus E-PL1-3/E-PM1 North American Shooters 3,896 photos, 350 members
- C-Mount on Micro 4/3 12,264 photos, 1,289 members
- OLYMPUS PEN E-PL1 56,559 photos, 3,153 members
- KEH Camera 8,000 photos, 615 members
- Great Wall PF-1 SLR 38 photos, 22 members
- Film Photography Podcast 106,175 photos, 3,857 members
- Huron Camera Photo Group 514 photos, 19 members
- Michigan Odonata 125 photos, 11 members
- Camera-wiki.org 55,950 photos, 1,376 members
- darkroom technique 14,363 photos, 1,411 members
- The Olympus OM Crew , aka The Cult of Zuiko 53,964 photos, 3,189 members
- AnnArbor.com Photo 311 photos, 51 members
- Katzen auf Film 198 photos, 34 members
- I Love Grain Elevators. 10,544 photos, 748 members
- Great Wall Camera (DF- type) 1,779 photos, 263 members
- Michigan Gardens 7,798 photos, 234 members
- PLASTIC FANTASTIC 72,077 photos, 2,383 members
- Washtenaw County, Michigan 5,702 photos, 127 members
- Michigan Barns 2,356 photos, 140 members
- Your camera collection ! 48,018 photos, 4,958 members
- Cat Portraits 125,481 photos, 15,742 members
- Empty Seats 41,548 photos, 9,451 members
- Camera porn 32,724 photos, 2,841 members
- Darkroom Portraits 482 photos, 436 members
- Found Photographs 44,632 photos, 3,048 members
- Ciro-flex 1,057 photos, 163 members
- Toy Digital 16,506 photos, 944 members
- Autumn in Michigan 5,028 photos, 353 members
- dream-nature 5,445 photos, 646 members
- Photostock: The Annual Mid-Summer Photographer's Gathering 309 photos, 30 members
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore 3,992 photos, 383 members
- 35mm Toy Cameras 22,407 photos, 1,393 members
- EASTMAN KODAK DOUBLE-X (5222) 6,660 photos, 430 members
- A3C3 2008 Group Show 10 photos, 8 members
- A Michigan Home 86 photos, 188 members
- Michigan's Best (10 Total/Person) 401 photos, 71 members
- expired film 177,188 photos, 8,902 members
- The World Up-Close (Nature Macro) 241,347 photos, 12,253 members
- Writing Machines 4,552 photos, 4,992 members
and someone I'm glad to consider a friend."
25th March, 2008
Napalm Cupcake says:
"What to say about one so great?
Mark amazes me with his eye for details and structure. he is kind, crazy, cool and a photography force to be reckoned with.
He IS the Mack Daddy of film photography and I cannot begin to express my gratitude to him for his teaching, patience and support.
Truly a magnificent soul on this planet!"
10th November, 2006
SandyJo Kelly. says:
"Mark is really something else!! Helpful in every way with anything you'd want to know about film, and always willing to listen and lend a hand. He was my inspiration for buying my SLR film cameras!! His photos are beautiful, and I'm particularly fond of the black and white images he produces. Thank you my friend for your support! I'm very fortunate to have you as a Flickr friend!!"
9th September, 2006
"Mark is an amazing photographer. His photos entertain me and inspire me daily. Plus he is a wonderful person, always willing to share his knowledge and help me in my quest to learn how to be a better photographer. His help and encouragement has meant so much to me.
And he is able to cheerfully identify the odd bugs I take pictures of without telling me to go buy a field guide already. Flickr needs more talented and kind photographers like Mark"
24th July, 2006
"Mark is what I would consider the best of all kinds of photographers. He knows photography, and surely knows cameras, but he has continued to be hungry in his pursuit knowledge. His passion shows in his art and his energy, and it rubs off on those around him. Mark doesn't seem to let himself get in the way of having fun with photography, and that is one of the best lessons I have learned from him.
I've been lucky enough to meet him on and off Flickr, and I am a better photographer because of it."
13th May, 2006
"I hardly know where to begin, in writing up a testimonial for Mark...but since this is a photo sharing site, I'll begin with the obvious...
Mark is one of those individuals, for whom I am in immense awe regarding the depth and breadth of his knowledge of photography. I can't think of a single individual I know who is so well versed in cameras, techniques and fundamentals of the art. His knowledge is fleshed out by his skill...shown through his work with a variety of formats, cameras and film. And he goes beyond mere technical skill...he is familiar with those many little nuances that make a great image...the nuances that translate simply into the "spirit" of photography.
Perhaps equally as important as Mark's ability with the camera and creating a memorable image, is his generous nature and good will. His supportive and encouraging comments can be found in so many photostreams of those of us who've had the good fortune to cross his path. He is one of those "cornerstones" of flickr that make it so much more than a "photo sharing site" and more like a real community... Thanks, Mark!!"
23rd July, 2005
- October 2004
- Parishville, NY
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Mark O'Brien Photography