(Formerly known as argusmaniac) -- I have been photographing since I was a teen, but really only started taking photography seriously in 1999. Favorite subjects are nature, found objects, landscapes, and decrepit buildings. Black and White is my preferred medium, and I shoot quite a bit of medium format as well as 35mm. Camera collecting is another thing I enjoy, restricting myself to Argus and Twin-lens reflex cameras. Otherwise, it would be chaos. Oh wait, it is already chaos... My Flickr photostream is pretty representative of my chaotic shooting -- all kinds of cameras, subjects, and techniques.
If you see an image of mine that you'd like hanging on your wall, I do sell b&w silver prints of my b&w work. Color prints are also available, but I do not process those myself. If you would like to use any of my works - all are copyrighted by me, and I charge (a reasonable fee) for their use.
Favorite photographers: Edward Weston, Imogen Cunningham, Ansel Adams, Brett Weston, Freeman Patterson, among others..
Visit my website below to purchase images.
- I Shoot Film 2,151,369 photos, 87,885 members
- Wasps 8,372 photos, 1,526 members
- Bees of the Americas * Abejas de las Américas 1,304 photos, 171 members
- Nikon1 14,725 photos, 864 members
- Nikon 1 Cameras 17,505 photos, 2,234 members
- Michigan Cemetery Photos 399 photos, 18 members
- Jackson, Michigan 1,011 photos, 71 members
- Tintypes, ambrotypes, Wet-plate Collodion photographs 10,654 photos, 1,794 members
- Debonair Super Lens 1:8/60 743 photos, 85 members
- C-Mount / Cine lens art photography club 1,220 photos, 581 members
- Pictures of Ohio 6,548 photos, 57 members
- KEH Camera 11,567 photos, 716 members
- Great Wall PF-1 SLR 39 photos, 22 members
- Film Photography Podcast 146,842 photos, 4,937 members
- Huron Camera Photo Group 567 photos, 21 members
- Michigan Odonata 182 photos, 14 members
- Camera-wiki.org 61,802 photos, 1,505 members
- The Olympus OM Crew , aka The Cult of Zuiko 59,274 photos, 3,396 members
- AnnArbor.com Photo 410 photos, 54 members
- Katzen auf Film 207 photos, 33 members
- I Love Grain Elevators. 11,340 photos, 762 members
- Michigan Gardens 8,046 photos, 236 members
- PLASTIC FANTASTIC 73,650 photos, 2,408 members
- Washtenaw County, Michigan 6,449 photos, 139 members
- Michigan Barns 2,904 photos, 146 members
- Your camera collection ! 52,113 photos, 5,065 members
- Cat Portraits 133,527 photos, 16,377 members
- Empty Seats 48,242 photos, 13,770 members
- Camera porn 36,168 photos, 3,087 members
- Darkroom Portraits 501 photos, 470 members
- Found Photographs 49,218 photos, 3,104 members
- Ciro-flex 1,158 photos, 178 members
- Toy Digital 16,173 photos, 959 members
- Autumn in Michigan 5,358 photos, 362 members
- dream-nature 5,740 photos, 658 members
- Photostock: The Annual Mid-Summer Photographer's Gathering 373 photos, 38 members
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore 4,516 photos, 401 members
- 35mm Toy Cameras 22,863 photos, 1,452 members
- EASTMAN KODAK DOUBLE-X (5222) 8,539 photos, 566 members
- A3C3 2008 Group Show 10 photos, 8 members
- A Michigan Home 84 photos, 186 members
- Michigan's Best (10 Total/Person) 448 photos, 75 members
- expired film 195,166 photos, 9,453 members
- The World Up-Close (Nature Macro) 274,241 photos, 12,648 members
- Writing Machines 4,820 photos, 6,876 members
- Michigan Photos 28,669 photos, 573 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 247,292 photos, 36,472 members
- Michigan - The Great Lakes State 31,180 photos, 757 members
- ~WORLD TOY CAMERA DAY~ 8,942 photos, 897 members
- Nelson Foto Forums 7,783 photos, 81 members
and someone I'm glad to consider a friend."
25th March, 2008
Napalm Cupcake says:
"What to say about one so great?
Mark amazes me with his eye for details and structure. he is kind, crazy, cool and a photography force to be reckoned with.
He IS the Mack Daddy of film photography and I cannot begin to express my gratitude to him for his teaching, patience and support.
Truly a magnificent soul on this planet!"
10th November, 2006
SandyJo Kelly. says:
"Mark is really something else!! Helpful in every way with anything you'd want to know about film, and always willing to listen and lend a hand. He was my inspiration for buying my SLR film cameras!! His photos are beautiful, and I'm particularly fond of the black and white images he produces. Thank you my friend for your support! I'm very fortunate to have you as a Flickr friend!!"
9th September, 2006
"Mark is an amazing photographer. His photos entertain me and inspire me daily. Plus he is a wonderful person, always willing to share his knowledge and help me in my quest to learn how to be a better photographer. His help and encouragement has meant so much to me.
And he is able to cheerfully identify the odd bugs I take pictures of without telling me to go buy a field guide already. Flickr needs more talented and kind photographers like Mark"
24th July, 2006
"Mark is what I would consider the best of all kinds of photographers. He knows photography, and surely knows cameras, but he has continued to be hungry in his pursuit knowledge. His passion shows in his art and his energy, and it rubs off on those around him. Mark doesn't seem to let himself get in the way of having fun with photography, and that is one of the best lessons I have learned from him.
I've been lucky enough to meet him on and off Flickr, and I am a better photographer because of it."
13th May, 2006
"I hardly know where to begin, in writing up a testimonial for Mark...but since this is a photo sharing site, I'll begin with the obvious...
Mark is one of those individuals, for whom I am in immense awe regarding the depth and breadth of his knowledge of photography. I can't think of a single individual I know who is so well versed in cameras, techniques and fundamentals of the art. His knowledge is fleshed out by his skill...shown through his work with a variety of formats, cameras and film. And he goes beyond mere technical skill...he is familiar with those many little nuances that make a great image...the nuances that translate simply into the "spirit" of photography.
Perhaps equally as important as Mark's ability with the camera and creating a memorable image, is his generous nature and good will. His supportive and encouraging comments can be found in so many photostreams of those of us who've had the good fortune to cross his path. He is one of those "cornerstones" of flickr that make it so much more than a "photo sharing site" and more like a real community... Thanks, Mark!!"
23rd July, 2005
- October 2004
- Parishville, NY
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Mark O'Brien Photography