A lifelong resident of the San Francisco Bay Area, I grew up along the rolling hills of the eastern side of the bay. My interest in photography came when I first viewed the glowing night lights of San Francisco through my bedroom window high above the flat lands of the east. Far off in the distance the San Francisco skyline lit the bay waters, and at that moment I felt something change within me. Years past and I continued to watch the sun set behind the city, and the storms roll over the bay. It wasn't until later in life, 30 years to be exact, that I decided to explore my interests in photographic expression. With no real knowledge of photography, I took every opportunity to learn from my mistakes, and the success of many master photographic artists. Constantly experimenting with techniques, and styles, I found my true passion within seascapes, architecture, long exposure, and black & white photography. Though these elements are where I have formed my base, I find it impossible to hold myself true to one form. With the ever changing elements of the world around me, I follow the inspiration that the moment creates.
The digital age... Where the tangible meets virtual. A space in time where analog has been overthrown by ones and zeros. A reality of instant information, and gratification.
I am part of a generation that has a anamnesis of the analog world as we once knew it. A world of audio experiences through the crackle of black vinyl discs, or the warm hum of thermionic valve amplification. A world visualized through Cathode Ray Tubes, and latent images. A world of communication where pen meets paper, and voices were transported through the coils of a copper wire. Today these experiences have been displanted by the far more convenient mp3 file, transistor, email, or digital image.
Because of my existence in this space of time, I have found myself blissfully conflicted by these ever evolving technological regressions. With only just a memory of the comforting simplicity that the analog world offered, my ambivalence to the digital world weakens. Day after day I find myself embracing more of this digitized universe, most of which can be found within the images viewed on these pages.
The digital imaging process of today offers convenience, and instant gratification, both I am sure Edwin Land was seeking in the invention of the Polaroid. The digital darkroom of this age empowers us with the ability to alter reality in way that the ones of the past could never have imagined, but I am sure would embrace today. We have the power to add, subtract, move, and manipulate what we see fit in our images. I appreciate the art of digital manipulation in images, and I do find it necessary to use some of these techniques within my workflow, but I do so with the spirit of tradition in mind. Each of my images contains the information that was recorded on site in a single frame, nothing more. Like the artists that have inspired me, I have chosen to manipulate these images to fit my own interpretation of a subject. Where manipulation is needed, I do so with the digital equivalent of that found in the analog process.
To claim that I have been self taught would be a misrepresentation of the knowledge I have gained over time. I truly believe that we are taught by those around us, directly and indirectly. My knowledge may not have come from formal instruction in a class room or from a book, but I have obtained this knowledge from those that have inspired me. Through trial and error, emulating, and recreating, I have been taught by many and myself.
Photos of maxxsmart (3)
- California Photographer - Best Photos from California 18,976 photos, 1,040 members
- Brownie Hawkeye Flash 7,689 photos, 1,167 members
- East Bay Emulsion 903 photos, 39 members
- Guess Where SF 29,984 photos, 1,605 members
- Pinhole 63,017 photos, 4,794 members
- pinhole perspective 25,549 photos, 1,233 members
- Zero Image 18,818 photos, 1,310 members
- Picturing Place: Northeast San Francisco 995 photos, 186 members
- Epson V700 21,786 photos, 1,304 members
- Rocks, Rocks, Rocks 4,497 photos, 318 members
- Medium Format (film only) 675,057 photos, 26,387 members
- HASSELBLAD BW 23,209 photos, 2,872 members
- Hasselblad Users Group 115,697 photos, 4,761 members
- Hasselblad 500 Series 54,084 photos, 3,365 members
- Do It Yourself Black & White 285,543 photos, 9,467 members
- Mamiya TLR 30,179 photos, 2,440 members
- Lomography Sprocket Rocket 6,369 photos, 944 members
- Marin Magazine 2,224 photos, 186 members
- Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy 2,726 photos, 505 members
- B&W / Monochromatic Minimalism 8,367 photos, 1,100 members
- Monochromatic Visions 21,989 photos, 2,298 members
- Chasing Shadows 37,286 photos, 1,532 members
- CHARITY PRINT AUCTIONS - PHILIPPINES 0 photos, 1,415 members
- Images with Filters 10,249 photos, 984 members
- Black and White Seascapes 10,847 photos, 1,151 members
- Long Exposure 549,678 photos, 52,066 members
- Davenport, California 906 photos, 160 members
- Luminous Landscapes 8,841 photos, 1,423 members
- Natural Landscapes 17,402 photos, 3,392 members
- Canon EOS 5D Series 402,506 photos, 17,745 members
- Canon DSLR User Group 2,704,214 photos, 136,550 members
- The Golden Gate Bridge 15,763 photos, 3,090 members
- San Francisco at Night 21,216 photos, 2,799 members
- Adobe Lightroom 22,853 photos, 22,164 members
- SF Bay Area Shooters (sfbas) 126,802 photos, 4,291 members
- Bay Bridge 3,835 photos, 521 members
- San Francisco Bay Bridges 12,789 photos, 1,882 members
louie imaging says:
"In Steve's work I see his desire to capture what is before us not easily recognized at moment, a yearning to see what is deeper a conscious of what can be unveiled. A strive for perfection. A refreshing breath and hope to something more profound. In his work I see harmony. I hope you will enjoy his work as I have through the years.
1st March, 2012
"This is my first testimonial on flickr. Maxxsmart's photostream has been a huge inspiration for me, and I always learn from his extremely thoughtful photos. His attention to lighting and composition is especially advanced, making his photos the most interesting I've seen on flickr."
23rd April, 2011
"This is my first testimonial that I have done on flickr, and I couldn't have picked a better person to do it on. maxxsmart stream is crazy insane. His work definitely stands out from all the rest. His style, and how he composes his images is pure beauty at its finest. When I visit his stream, I am in complete awe. At times I can't even use words to describe his work. maxxsmart is by far one of my favorite photographers on flickr, and his work is truly inspirational.
21st October, 2010
"A really lovely photostream. One that I come back to again and again."
26th February, 2010
Life in a Moment says:
"A most inspiring photographer who has a true gift of seeing the every day things and turning it up a notch......beautiful long exposure work and his simple minimal images bring about a sense of calm and serenity. Thank you for showing me around the Bay area through your lens..... truly amazing work! I love always seeing what you come up with next.........:)"
31st March, 2010
J G Robinson says:
"I enjoyed looking at all your work, the compositions are strong and lighting fantastic, I look forward to viewing more of work. Very interesting and artistic portfolio!
23rd November, 2009
"ok, he is a recent find for me on Flickr and I must say not only is his work amazing, but the lengths he goes to , to obtain these photos is a true testimony to his work.....
He is helpful and willing to explain his techniques with others and I personally think he is one to keep an eye on.....
I am totally inspired!!!!!"
25th November, 2008
"What a wonderful Flickr friend and photographer! I met Steve through our Canon 40D group.He has helped me through setting up my new camera to applying links to my photostream! He has always taken the time to answer all my questions and give me advice.I am always amazed at his photographs! Thank you so much Steve,I'm glad you're my friend! Tammy"
11th August, 2008
Adam Hardy says:
"this guy sure does blow my hair back with his images! his shots really have great clarity,composition and are always clean and graphic with beautiful lines. i like the way he sees and projects his photos!
bottom line i am huge fan of his work! his panoramic shots also amaze me and are something to behold!
thank you for keeping it interesting and inspiring my friend!"
1st August, 2008
- January 2008
- I am:
- Male and Taken