I live on the beautiful island of Crete, in Greece, and in the past few years I've discovered my passion for photography. I started out into the world of digital photography, equiped with a point&shoot camera (Canon PowerShot S45):
But in 2007, my passion for nature macros led me to venture further into the DSLR universe, which unlocked many more possibilities, which I am pursuing right now:
The majority of my photostream consists of nature macros, but I also post travel photos and anything else that catches my eye:
I'm going through my sixth year in flickr now and I'm trying to explore other kinds of photography as well, besides macro. I welcome constructive criticism of my photos. I love positive comments as the next guy, but don't be afraid to point out the shortcomings in a photo as well, or ways to improve myself, both in capturing a scene and post-processing it.
For my most popular photos, take a look at my Top 36 or 50+ faves sets.
This is the equipment I use:
- Canon EOS 5D (full-frame DSLR) (photos)
Canon EOS 400D (DSLR) SOLD (photos)
- Canon EOS 3 (film SLR) (photos)
Canon PowerShot S45 (point & shoot) DEFUNCT (photos)
- Zenit 122 (film SLR with M42 mount) (photos)
- Voigtlander Vito BL (rangefinder camera made in 1956) (photos)
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM (photos)
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (photos)
- Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 (photos)
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM (photos)
- Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro (photos)
- Samyang 500mm f/6.3 Mirror Lens (photos)
- MC Helios-44M-4 (M42 thread, 58mm, f/2) (photos)
- Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 (M42 thread) (photos)
- Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 (M42 thread) (photos)
- Canon Speedlite 430EX (photos)
- Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX (don't own it, tried it once: photos)
- Canon 250D close-up filter (58mm thread) (photos)
- Vivitar 2x Teleconverter (photos)
- 58mm to 52mm reverse lens coupler (photos)
- extension tubes (photos)
- Canon OC-E3 off-camera shoe cord
- Fakos - Φακός φωτογραφική ομάδα 64 photos, 7 members
- 121clicks 11,795 photos, 4,574 members
- Kamilari (Καμηλάρι, Κρήτη) and around - South Crete 622 photos, 44 members
- ★ Macro world ★ P1 - C1 ★ 7,652 photos, 514 members
- Project Weather 144,531 photos, 37,106 members
- Rouvas Holly Forest, Crete, Greece 26 photos, 7 members
- Green Eden 19,208 photos, 1,934 members
- Nature as Abstract Artist 22,977 photos, 2,136 members
- SOLO ANIMALES // ONLY ANIMALS (POST 1,COMMENT 1) 111,135 photos, 8,512 members
- ~Insect & Spider Macro Masterpieces~ 3,043 photos, 290 members
- H φωτογραφία χωρίς μυστικά 8,833 photos, 543 members
- Insect Moults/Mudas de Insectos 465 photos, 94 members
- Dragonfly of the Day from the Dragonfly Gallery 1,471 photos, 130 members
- Anemone coronaria 134 photos, 13 members
- The old man and the sea 212 photos, 31 members
- flickr (unofficial) 1,802,944 photos, 81,051 members
- Arthropods - Field Stacks 1,640 photos, 132 members
- Insects - Studio Stacks 1,162 photos, 352 members
- Orquideas silvestres de Europa 3,673 photos, 111 members
- The book cover club 285 photos, 103 members
- Poetry for sight 10,483 photos, 276 members
- ©Photo-News.gr 2,398 photos, 103 members
- Rodents 21,776 photos, 1,652 members
- Greek Flickr Users Group 19,401 photos, 413 members
- · TRACE IN FACE · 43,600 photos, 3,849 members
- Aristolochia 321 photos, 80 members
- Flowers in Greece 1,682 photos, 146 members
- Double Fantasy - P1-C1 - MUST HAVE 5+ FLORAL FANTASY AWARDS 7,268 photos, 1,218 members
- The Best of Unforgettable Flowers~ Post 1~Comment 2 16,187 photos, 2,421 members
- UNFORGETTABLE FLOWERS ~ P1/C3 - SWEEPER DAILY 133,061 photos, 7,376 members
- Floral Fantasy - Post 1- Comment 3 92,025 photos, 4,422 members
- Fish And Other Aquatic Animals 3,820 photos, 136 members
- FloralEssence (Admin Invite Only) 13,230 photos, 828 members
- Flypaper Textures 13,710 photos, 1,379 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,617 photos, 14,513 members
- Nordic Photography 4,656 photos, 673 members
- The Great Greek Whatever 2,777 photos, 58 members
- Myriapoda (Centipedes, Millipedes, Etc.) 3,948 photos, 897 members
- Aspiring Greek Photographers 1,921 photos, 165 members
- mediterranean climate garden 9,271 photos, 498 members
- Mirror Reflex Lens 7,273 photos, 846 members
- Φ.Ο.Π.Κ. 362 photos, 67 members
- The nature of Greece 985 photos, 66 members
- Mariposas del Mediterráneo 1,852 photos, 112 members
- *Specialist Nature & Wildlife Photographers* 9,762 photos, 879 members
- Naturography 145 photos, 66 members
- flickr Stock Artists 993 photos, 108 members
- Brassicaceae (Cruciferae) 946 photos, 88 members
- Fototrove by Getty Images Archive 0 photos, 647 members
- Rivers of Greece 648 photos, 79 members
Congratulations - 祝贺您 - Enhorabuena - Parabéns - Félicitations - Gratulation – Congratulazioni – 축하합니다.
World100F – QualityGroup – Marco"
4th December, 2009
"I am a big fan of macro photography and the work by Macropoulos offers some of the best macro work on Flickr. Sharp, clear and well composed images. I especially enjoy the dragonfly pictures. But his work is not only limited to macrophotography, his work with textures and compositions is also quite inspiring.
1st July, 2008
Филби's ПРОПАГАНДА ? says:
"Macro photography requires imagination, patience and knowledge and Stavros has got what it needs...this man is a genious in macro photography... maximum Respect!"
12th June, 2008
Biologist Buliklik says:
"We have been friends in flickr. He is from Crete, Greece and I am from Leyte, Philippines. I admire his photography, his choice of subjects that drew me to his photos.
Sometime in the late September 2006, I clicked a picture in the net which led me to this website (www.flickr.com). I was not a member then. When I came across the homepage, I was struck by this picture of the caterpillar! And that picture happened to be Stavros Markopoulos's caterpillar. Since then, I have been visiting flickr and his archive of pictures.
Then, I decided that I will post pictures here too. So, I began shooting on anything - mostly living organisms. I am not a professional photographer, I am just an enthusiast myself - a biology graduate and a teacher of elementary grade students.
I really appreciate his pictures. They are inspirational, because aside from giving a vivid photography, he can play on the colors. And his captions are great and dramatic too. In an email to him I said, "I wish to write down this "discovery" of his archive in the testimonial page if he wouldn't mind". So, now I have written it down.
One of the things that also dragged me to his page is his surname - Markopoulos - it's like Marco Polo - that early international explorer is tackled in our elementary grade school books! I think his surname has been taken from that explorer's name.
Wishing you the best in life, Stavros! Mabuhay ka! Keep the camera clicking for more pictures!"
20th October, 2006
- Stavros Markopoulos
- August 2006
- Heraklion, Crete, Greece
- I am:
- Male and Taken