I live on the beautiful island of Crete, in Greece, and in the past few years I've discovered my passion for photography. I started out into the world of digital photography, equiped with a point&shoot camera (Canon PowerShot S45):
But in 2007, my passion for nature macros led me to venture further into the DSLR universe, which unlocked many more possibilities, which I am pursuing right now:
The majority of my photostream consists of nature macros, but I also post travel photos and anything else that catches my eye:
I'm going through my sixth year in flickr now and I'm trying to explore other kinds of photography as well, besides macro. I welcome constructive criticism of my photos. I love positive comments as the next guy, but don't be afraid to point out the shortcomings in a photo as well, or ways to improve myself, both in capturing a scene and post-processing it.
For my most popular photos, take a look at my Top 36 or 50+ faves sets.
This is the equipment I use:
- Canon EOS 5D (full-frame DSLR) (photos)
Canon EOS 400D (DSLR) SOLD (photos)
- Canon EOS 3 (film SLR) (photos)
Canon PowerShot S45 (point & shoot) DEFUNCT (photos)
- Zenit 122 (film SLR with M42 mount) (photos)
- Voigtlander Vito BL (rangefinder camera made in 1956) (photos)
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM (photos)
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (photos)
- Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 (photos)
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM (photos)
- Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro (photos)
- Samyang 500mm f/6.3 Mirror Lens (photos)
- MC Helios-44M-4 (M42 thread, 58mm, f/2) (photos)
- Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 (M42 thread) (photos)
- Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 (M42 thread) (photos)
- Canon Speedlite 430EX (photos)
- Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX (don't own it, tried it once: photos)
- Canon 250D close-up filter (58mm thread) (photos)
- Vivitar 2x Teleconverter (photos)
- 58mm to 52mm reverse lens coupler (photos)
- extension tubes (photos)
- Canon OC-E3 off-camera shoe cord
- Kamilari (Καμηλάρι, Κρήτη) and around - South Crete 479 photos, 32 members
- ★ Macro world ★ 3,984 photos, 360 members
- World`s Nature Gallery 20,342 photos, 1,784 members
- Project Weather 106,856 photos, 31,426 members
- Rouvas Holly Forest, Crete, Greece 26 photos, 7 members
- Green Eden 17,077 photos, 1,741 members
- Nature as Abstract Artist 18,631 photos, 1,840 members
- SOLO ANIMALES // ONLY ANIMALS (POST 1,COMMENT 1) 107,677 photos, 8,361 members
- ~Insect & Spider Macro Masterpieces~ 2,552 photos, 261 members
- H φωτογραφία χωρίς μυστικά 7,456 photos, 483 members
- Insect Moults/Mudas de Insectos 450 photos, 94 members
- Dragonfly of the Day from the Dragonfly Gallery 1,390 photos, 109 members
- Anemone coronaria 103 photos, 11 members
- The old man and the sea 198 photos, 30 members
- flickr (unofficial) 1,527,209 photos, 78,316 members
- Arthropods - Field Stacks 1,438 photos, 120 members
- Insects - Studio Stacks 1,162 photos, 328 members
- Orquideas silvestres de Europa 2,778 photos, 103 members
- The book cover club 266 photos, 97 members
- Poetry for sight 9,645 photos, 274 members
- ©Photo-News.gr 2,044 photos, 102 members
- Rodents 21,562 photos, 1,633 members
- Greek Flickr Users Group 17,182 photos, 384 members
- · TRACE IN FACE · 43,946 photos, 3,839 members
- Aristolochia 313 photos, 76 members
- Flowers in Greece 1,595 photos, 141 members
- Double Fantasy - P1-C1 - MUST HAVE 5+ FLORAL FANTASY AWARDS 7,219 photos, 1,202 members
- The Best of Unforgettable Flowers~ Post 1~Comment 2 15,109 photos, 2,352 members
- UNFORGETTABLE FLOWERS ~ P1/C3 - SWEEPER DAILY 129,941 photos, 7,288 members
- Floral Fantasy - Post 1- Comment 3 89,356 photos, 4,407 members
- Fish And Other Aquatic Animals 3,771 photos, 131 members
- FloralEssence (Admin Invite Only) 12,910 photos, 799 members
- Flypaper Textures 13,199 photos, 1,356 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,705 photos, 14,650 members
- Nordic Photography 4,249 photos, 667 members
- The Great Greek Whatever 2,759 photos, 57 members
- Myriapoda (Centipedes, Millipedes, Etc.) 3,778 photos, 890 members
- Aspiring Greek Photographers 1,953 photos, 168 members
- mediterranean climate garden 9,195 photos, 485 members
- Mirror Reflex Lens 6,925 photos, 821 members
- Φ.Ο.Π.Κ. 358 photos, 68 members
- The nature of Greece 826 photos, 59 members
- Mariposas del Mediterráneo 1,834 photos, 113 members
- *Specialist Nature & Wildlife Photographers* 9,654 photos, 858 members
- Naturography 145 photos, 66 members
- flickr Stock Artists 893 photos, 110 members
- Brassicaceae (Cruciferae) 900 photos, 85 members
- Fototrove by Getty Images Archive 0 photos, 638 members
- Rivers of Greece 635 photos, 76 members
- Drama / Δράμα / Dhrama 355 photos, 50 members
Congratulations - 祝贺您 - Enhorabuena - Parabéns - Félicitations - Gratulation – Congratulazioni – 축하합니다.
World100F – QualityGroup – Marco"
4th December, 2009
"I am a big fan of macro photography and the work by Macropoulos offers some of the best macro work on Flickr. Sharp, clear and well composed images. I especially enjoy the dragonfly pictures. But his work is not only limited to macrophotography, his work with textures and compositions is also quite inspiring.
1st July, 2008
Филби's ПРОПАГАНДА ? says:
"Macro photography requires imagination, patience and knowledge and Stavros has got what it needs...this man is a genious in macro photography... maximum Respect!"
12th June, 2008
Biologist Buliklik says:
"We have been friends in flickr. He is from Crete, Greece and I am from Leyte, Philippines. I admire his photography, his choice of subjects that drew me to his photos.
Sometime in the late September 2006, I clicked a picture in the net which led me to this website (www.flickr.com). I was not a member then. When I came across the homepage, I was struck by this picture of the caterpillar! And that picture happened to be Stavros Markopoulos's caterpillar. Since then, I have been visiting flickr and his archive of pictures.
Then, I decided that I will post pictures here too. So, I began shooting on anything - mostly living organisms. I am not a professional photographer, I am just an enthusiast myself - a biology graduate and a teacher of elementary grade students.
I really appreciate his pictures. They are inspirational, because aside from giving a vivid photography, he can play on the colors. And his captions are great and dramatic too. In an email to him I said, "I wish to write down this "discovery" of his archive in the testimonial page if he wouldn't mind". So, now I have written it down.
One of the things that also dragged me to his page is his surname - Markopoulos - it's like Marco Polo - that early international explorer is tackled in our elementary grade school books! I think his surname has been taken from that explorer's name.
Wishing you the best in life, Stavros! Mabuhay ka! Keep the camera clicking for more pictures!"
20th October, 2006
- Stavros Markopoulos
- August 2006
- Heraklion, Crete, Greece
- I am:
- Male and Taken