Mad physicist's photostream Pro User
Some of you who have wandered over here may wonder what is this 'Mad physicist' thing all about? Well, I actually am a physicist in my daily life and my fellow LEGO builders sometimes seem to think that I have a particular way of doing things that they themselves wouldn't normally come up with. Because of that it's not entirely unusual for them to refer to me the 'Mad physicist'. The fact that I was a Dutchman living in the UK at the time didn't really help with blending into the crowd either.
Selling models or instructions
I get a lot of requests by people who would like to buy my models or who would like instructions. I am sorry if it disappoints anybody, but I have no interest in selling any of my models. They are fragile, complicated, and tend to use a lot of parts, sometimes including rare ones that LEGO don't make any more or that aren't available to the general public. I don't make instructions either. I'd rather spend my time building new things. I don't work for LEGO. My LEGO building is strictly a hobby.
- Treasured Things & Collectibles 7,983 photos, 446 members
- Grumman C-2 Greyhound / Northrop Grumman E-2 Hawkeye 628 photos, 47 members
- TBB Cover Photos 256 photos, 142 members
- Blogged by Brick Town Talk 203 photos, 119 members
- GWLS 2012 522 photos, 48 members
- Brick Fanatics 486 photos, 110 members
- Legend Bricks 2,366 photos, 587 members
- LEGO Military 22,061 photos, 2,100 members
- Lego Motorsport Division 65 photos, 12 members
- 5-wide Lego cars 206 photos, 21 members
- LEGO Removable Panel 119 photos, 54 members
- GWLS 2011 232 photos, 45 members
- LEGO Rotors 178 photos, 31 members
- BrickFair2012 Military theme 105 photos, 35 members
- LEGO Modular Landscape Standard 237 photos, 72 members
- LEGO Rod and Clip 18 photos, 14 members
- STEAM 2010 772 photos, 45 members
- Cheese slopes actually attached to something 55 photos, 38 members
- LEGO Dioramas 1,513 photos, 213 members
- LEGO Train MOCs 3,316 photos, 831 members
- Lego Military Models 5,300 photos, 435 members
- flickr one million club 106 photos, 82 members
- The Guardian 3 photos, 4 members
- Lego Military Annual Build Competition 456 photos, 429 members
- Historic Military Moc's 70 photos, 16 members
- Lego Humvees 162 photos, 60 members
- Lowlug 1,889 photos, 88 members
- AFOL Tag 211 photos, 165 members
- Ford Galaxie Page 11,549 photos, 645 members
- Lego Role Models 389 photos, 76 members
- Alpha Company 806 photos, 79 members
- Nautical LEGO 1,337 photos, 225 members
- Lego Mr. Manners 506 photos, 197 members
- Explored Lego 429 photos, 82 members
- Blogged by The Brothers Brick 3,201 photos, 429 members
- Brick VA 0 photos, 177 members
- Lego Tanks 2,417 photos, 366 members
- LEGO Vehicles 2,290 photos, 195 members
- LEGO User Groups (LUGs) 2,766 photos, 310 members
- LEGO Book: Advanced Building Techniques 53 photos, 168 members
- Brick~Busters! 545 photos, 319 members
- Lego Battle Bugs 692 photos, 233 members
- Volksrod 731 photos, 223 members
- LEGO Dutchies 3,894 photos, 140 members
- Cafe Corner 1,512 photos, 474 members
- Edible LEGO 84 photos, 49 members
- Lego Emergency Services 1,155 photos, 196 members
- LEGO City Skyline 911 photos, 145 members
- Peaceful Lego 2,078 photos, 209 members
- Neo Classic Space 1,385 photos, 337 members
Red Spacecat says:
"I often think Ralph sees Lego in a different way than we mere mortals do. The way he's able to mold those bricks into the irregular shapes that make up an aircraft, is baffling. When even mathematics get involved in building, you know the attention to detail is taken very seriously indeed. In general a very kind, well spoken and fun guy to be around."
11th July, 2012
"I think Ralph is the best LEGO-builder in world.
The way he build is inimitable. So Ralph is my bigest idol.
Thank you for the beautiful models."
11th December, 2011
Marjon Savelsberg says:
"What can I say, he is my brother and a pretty awesome one too!
He's just a very nice and gentle man, and I admire his lego-work! He has been "playing" with those little bricks ever since he was a toddler, there usually was a car or a plane or a train on the table when we had our dinner (or breakfast, or lunch). I gave him my Lego one day, well, we traded it since I got his Ministeck, it was somewhere in the eighties. I am just a proud sister ;-)"
1st September, 2011
Justin. Z ★ says:
"Mad Physicist, what an amazing builder."
1st August, 2011
Flak Magnet says:
"I have been intrigued for so long with Ralph's models. His models are some of the best that I have seen -- but just a quick look around his stream can tell you that! He's also been of huge help to me on numerous projects of mine!
Keep on brickin' mate! :)"
25th May, 2011
"The master of detail. Whether it be cars, jets, helicopters, or even a building every once in awhile, Ralph pulls it together with expertise. Certainly someone to reference to when building."
17th June, 2009
"A genius, and a friend. Ralph is one of those rare people that you meet only once in a lifetime."
8th March, 2009
"Ralph is, simply put, an amazing builder. Every time I think I've finally figured out how he does it, another model comes out, and I am left once again wondering, "How did he do that?" His techniques are very simple, yet they always work very gracefully. I've learned a great many things from simply studying his models, and I suggest anyone who builds aircraft to do the same."
4th March, 2009
Lino M says:
"Mad Physicist is one of those builders I've admired long before the days of flickr. Now that we're both on this fine site I was pleased to learn that Ralph is not only talented, but knowledgeable, diplomatic...and forever a good friend to all."
14th December, 2008
"Mad Physicist (a.k.a. Ralph S.) is one of the great LEGO builders of the world. Name anything and he will be able to build it."
13th September, 2008
"He's so good at building planes, can start his own airport if he wanted to"
14th August, 2008
"Ralph is one (rather mad) Lego builder who painstakingly combines all sorts of building techniques into his aircraft, land vehicles as well as into his minifig sets that make them all look and feel realistic.
If I were to compare his creations to that of others, his feel like they were made from smaller bits that were integrated and specially made for each other.
Rather than coming up with simpler solutions, he pushes the limits of Lego building techniques (particularly for land vehicles and aircraft) and almost always comes up with a design that's better, smoother, more realistic, and has that "wow" effect most of his viewers express the moment they see his models.
Outside of MOCpages, Brickshelf or Flickr he's also a good friend who provides sound advice in terms of Lego building techniques as well as anything else under the sun.
12th June, 2008
Lego Monster says:
"Ralph builds simply the most realistic aircraft out of Lego that you are ever gonna see... and he's a nice guy too - go figure!"
9th March, 2008
John Lamarck says:
"The best Lego aircrafts builder in the world, next to lego monster according to me, so far."
3rd March, 2008
- Ralph S
- February 2008
- The Netherlands
- I am:
- Assistant professor