Profile last updated Wednesday 21st July 2010
During the 70s and 80s I used film SLR cameras and had a darkroom. I started with a Zenit E and then moved on to an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic II and upgraded twice keeping with Pentax. The expense of film, negative dust and scratches and carrying a heavy kit bag around put me off photography. In the end, I went for a 35mm compact for parties and holiday snaps.
I bought a digital in April 2003 to replace the compact. I loved it. It allowed me to get back into photography. No limit on exposures and I could experiment with no expense. I upgraded in August 2004, loved the new camera even more. I started retirement on 1st Jan 2005, joined Flickr on 14th Feb 2005 and, as they say, the rest is history. In May 2005 I upgraded again to a dSLR (Canon 350D > 30D > 40D > 7D) and now have a kit bag and a darkroom (Photoshop CS3) again. Browsing Flickr made me realise that I wasn't alone taking images of cans, piles of tiles, rust and squared circles (I didn't know what squared circles were then or how to crop them properly but I did capture one). So with carte blanche I capture anything and everything and don't feel self-conscious about it. Flickr provides the ultimate global album for the photographs. Flickr also exercises the side of my brain that I enjoyed using at work i.e. organising and tagging the photographs, creating sets, admining groups, writing guidelines and webbing. Nearly forgot, photography with Flickr feeds my obsession of collecting things and it's a lot cheaper than CDs, DVDs and books. That's me in a nutshell...I can't leave the shutter shut.
My photostream consists of:
Photographs I've uploaded because I'd like the world to view and comment on them. They are organised in sets.
Links to photographs: [ Random ] [ Images in Explore ] [ Interestingness ]
Collection & Reference sets of general interest e.g.
Norwich Plaques I
Norwich Plaques II
Norwich Plaques III
squared circles (over 25,000)
letters (over 8,000)
numbers (over 12,000)
signs (over 6,000)
They are organised in sets. Most of the images are posted to subject groups on Flickr.
The majority of my photographs are covered by a Creative Commons License - Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0.
I admin/co-admin the following groups:
Letters and Numbers
Norwich & Norfolk
Normal for Norfolk
Guess Where Norwich
Norwich & Norfolk Flickr Meets
Headstone Military Badges
Stick Figures in Peril
Round Tower Churches
- RHS Flower Show Tatton Park 245 photos, 23 members
- Guess Where UK? 7 photos, 509 members
- Figurehead 1,982 photos, 302 members
- Music on Vinyl 2,227 photos, 13 members
- James Bowen and a Street Cat Named Bob 161 photos, 99 members
- West Midlands Safari Park 2,292 photos, 225 members
- OGGL 3,088 photos, 139 members
- 1888 Building Dates 82 photos, 21 members
- UEA turns 50 - alumni photos 317 photos, 49 members
- Flickr Groups Preview 122 photos, 533 members
- London Zoo 5,550 photos, 696 members
- *Umbrella* 4,339 photos, 1,585 members
- Pre-Worboys Road Signs 2,988 photos, 227 members
- Flickr Bingo 2 607 photos, 61 members
- 45 rpm vinyl singles 12,810 photos, 473 members
- Beamish Museum in Photos 13,853 photos, 344 members
- Neighbourhood Watch of Great Britain 175 photos, 11 members
- Village Signs 2,517 photos, 139 members
- GoGoGorillas! Norwich 2013 540 photos, 19 members
- Arm's Length Self Portrait Experience 90,457 photos, 12,220 members
- Wales Photography. 119,477 photos, 3,751 members
- Flickr for iPhone 28,378 photos, 3,662 members
- VINTAGE ENGLAND - EPHEMERA 20,812 photos, 755 members
- Uni of East Anglia 368 photos, 35 members
- Tribute to Vinyl 5,135 photos, 110 members
- Cambridge University Botanic Garden 3,785 photos, 328 members
- The Hexagram - The Universal Star 339 photos, 41 members
- Photo Ceramics 1,480 photos, 71 members
- iPiccy - The Official Group 6,097 photos, 688 members
- Retro Records 25,931 photos, 2,000 members
- the record collective. 34,816 photos, 1,222 members
- vinyl junkies, show us your records ! 26,387 photos, 1,575 members
- Vinyl Junkie 43,735 photos, 3,357 members
- V&A Museum of Childhood 0 photos, 1 member
- Nunhead Cemetery 565 photos, 54 members
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 8,609 photos, 375 members
- Ambiguous Signs 111 photos, 19 members
- Ribbet! - The Official Ribbet Users Group 1,042 photos, 208 members
- Bridewell History Wall 2,079 photos, 79 members
- Aviary on Flickr 780 photos, 156 members
- Lo-mob 11,740 photos, 1,131 members
- Retro Camera 7,712 photos, 825 members
- Post-Worboys Road Signs 2,152 photos, 118 members
- Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch 22 photos, 3 members
- PicMonkey 26,787 photos, 1,867 members
- Coasters 3,212 photos, 94 members
- FotoEnvy™ by Topaz Labs 49 photos, 21 members
- Clocks & watches with letters 62 photos, 33 members
- Scanned Nostalgia 37,760 photos, 1,417 members
- The Butterfly and Wildlife Park/Long Sutton Nature World 384 photos, 30 members
Nick J Stone says:
"The undisputed king of Norwich Flickr. Eclecticism at it's finest, always something new to look at, or a different way of looking at something, or just something you haven't spotted, long may his eye rove and his shutter click."
25th August, 2009
krazydad / jbum says:
"Simply the most prolific photographer I've met on Flickr, and a careful and thoughtful curator. I aspire to be this productive."
16th September, 2009
Cameron Self says:
"Norwich's answer to Andy Warhol."
11th April, 2009
"A precise description. The King of Squared Circles."
14th September, 2008
"After six months on flickr, I have decided to pay a few debts, and LeoL30 is the biggest. I have learned so much from other photographers, but above all it is looking at the way that Leo works that has affected the way I work myself. His eye for detail, his concentration on the particular and specific, are exciting and inspiring. I have learned that simplicity is the key to a spectacular image, and that less is always more.
His documentation of Norwich is an inspiration to any urban photographer. A city is made up of the smallest details, and there are millions of them, always something new to be found. In no small part thanks to Leo, I find myself looking at details even when I do not have a camera with me."
14th December, 2006
23rd March, 2006
Lynn Morag says:
"Leo - the biggest Flickr addict I have come across. He could write books on his subjects of interest!
Go, Leo, go!"
12th March, 2006
"What fun, Leo has a set for just about everything!"
31st December, 2005
"LeoL30 is one of the very few flickrinos I have actually met. He is an incredible photographer and is interested in so many things pertaining to the city that you never know which group he is going to open next! I am thankful to him for introducing me to the joys of squarecircling and that means being taught by a master of the art!
I discovered photographing cemeteries through him too.
He is a dedicated admin and I have come to consider him as a friend.
His photostream is amazingly rich and varied and each of his trips brings new and fascinating sets. Don't miss them!"
5th September, 2005
"To suggest that Leo L30 has a tendency for obsessive behaviour would be putting it lightly. With an average of 1000 pics uploaded for each month of his Flickr membership, it's a wonder he has time to eat and sleep in between squircling for England and roving round Norwich in search of more surprising, everyday, neglected sights. I'm so glad I introduced Leo to Flickr. Yes, it's my fault. Sorry."
28th June, 2005
"The other day, I saw something and said "Hmmm. Verdigris. Wish I had my camera," which is clearly his fault. Because I'm not one who just throws the word "verdigris" around.
In any case, I really love to look through Leo's stream -- there's so much to see, and it's a good place to get lost for a little while."
27th June, 2005
"Leo is doors. He isn't a round peg in a square hole. He is about discovering things in forgotten places. Look. Just look."
14th June, 2005
James M Thorne says:
"He isn't just about circles, Leo has a truely wonderful photostream and many many brilliant photos. A talented photographer in every sense of the word."
31st May, 2005
"Where would the Squared Circle group be without Leo? His images are a delight and he keeps them coming at a fast clip. Always enjoy seeing what he sees, next!"
2nd May, 2005
- February 2005
- Norwich, England, UK
- Norwich, England, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Leo Reynolds