By day I am a media analyst and follow emerging media technology trends and consumer adoption patterns and am a principal in my own company, Media Valuation Partners. If you are curious about my professional career, just Google my name.
My avocation, however, for the last 40 years, has been photography. I had the chance to do it professionally for awhile but now it is just something that brings me great pleasure. My very first camera, when I was 6, was one of those box cameras that took roll film (a size no longer made) but I really got my start when my father gave me a Pentax Spotmatic SLR as a high school graduation present. I used that camera for many years until screw mount lenses became too much of a hassle and I went Nikon and have been a loyalist ever since (we won't talk about a brief dalliance with Olympus).
As for me, I am tall (6'2"), very fair, blue-eyed, very active and who loves an adventure, both physical and intellectual.
I shoot color and black and white with a Nikon D3X and a Nikon D700 and infrared with a Nikon D70 modified by Lifepixel.
I own a wide range of lenses, including the:
Nikon 14-24mm AF-S FX f/2.8
Nikon 24-70 f/2.8G AF-S
Nikon 70-200/2.8 AF-S VRII f/2.8
Nikon 200-400mm f/4 VR
Nikon 28-300mm FX VR
Nikon 16-35mm FX VR
Nikon 16mm f/2.8 Full Frame Fisheye
Nikon 24mm PC-E (perspective control)
Nikon 45mm PC-E
Nikon 50mm AF-S f/1.4
Nikon 60mm AF-D macro f/2.8
Nikon 85mm Macro PC-E (perspective control)
Nikon 105mm Macro AF-S f/2.8
I also use a couple of no-longer-made soft-focus lenses (the Sima 100mm and a Spiratone Portragon 100mm) which are rarely used for digital photography but are a lot of fun in specific circumstances.
My workflow consists of the following:
-Shooting RAW, running the images through DxO using a custom preset.
-Adjusting exposure in Photoshop CS4 and then using the full suite of Nik plugins.
- Iceland 2013 winter photo tours participant images 293 photos, 25 members
- NIKON D800E Group 20,127 photos, 1,180 members
- Nikon D800 Users Group 184,289 photos, 10,065 members
- Painterly 38,839 photos, 1,633 members
- Tilt Shift 26,308 photos, 4,093 members
- Flypaper Textures 13,239 photos, 1,360 members
- Topaz Software 108,082 photos, 5,621 members
- Topaz Simplify 4,349 photos, 651 members
- Welcome To Oz 7,035 photos, 866 members
- Nik Software Photo Share 149,858 photos, 6,512 members
- ICM - Intentional Camera Movement - 26.000+ great pictures! 25,828 photos, 2,820 members
- What's in your camera bag? 1,994 photos, 3,857 members
- Topaz Adjust 65,621 photos, 2,987 members
- Nikon D700 267,770 photos, 14,235 members
- Nikon D300 Users 530,643 photos, 17,026 members
- Nikon D3 D3s D3x 71,548 photos, 5,195 members
- Digital Painting Techniques 6,875 photos, 768 members
- DxO users 12,693 photos, 672 members
- Soft Focus 1,321 photos, 795 members
- MOON Shots 94,218 photos, 22,448 members
- Nikon Digital 1,623,620 photos, 69,081 members
- Nikkor 194,459 photos, 9,023 members
- Photoshop HDR 4,122 photos, 535 members
- NIKON PROFESSIONAL 429,337 photos, 18,444 members
- Stuck in Customs' Brilliant Cabal - My Cool and Clever Friends 105,474 photos, 4,057 members
- Photoshop Support Group 214,500 photos, 32,864 members
- Nikon Digital SLRs 256,896 photos, 4,781 members
- Nikon DSLR Users 537,896 photos, 25,473 members
- Nikon D40/xD70/sD80/D90/D200/D300/D700/ D3/s/X 428,418 photos, 13,829 members
- PhotoShop 99,058 photos, 17,247 members
- Los Angeles 185,695 photos, 9,940 members
- The Los Angeles Group 77,461 photos, 2,993 members
- Converted Digital Infrared Cameras 26,082 photos, 1,887 members
- Kris Kros Contacts 133,363 photos, 4,117 members
- Antelope Canyon 5,342 photos, 1,125 members
- HDR 866,039 photos, 88,901 members
- Photomatix 395,687 photos, 19,376 members
"Larry is one of the photographers on flickr who really inspires me a lot. I love tho read the background of his marvelous shots and the photographic art in his stream. Now that his archives are opening up as well, I cannot wait to see more masterpieces from the film days.... Trust me... you won't regret a single minute visiting Larry's photo stream. Enjoy!"
28th October, 2007
"i love the majestic photos of the buffalo friends! i've read countless books on bison, complete with photos, and the 'tall lumpy' is still the best picture ever!!"
31st August, 2007
"Just view Mr. Gerbrandt's pictures from Olympic Peninsula. Quite simply AMAZING!"
26th April, 2007
"Your photos are realy beautiful! I love them very much!
1st March, 2007
"Larry's photos give me the same feeling as when I first saw the photos of Ansel Adams and the other classic masters from e.g. the f/64 group. Watching Larry's images is an inspiration, - you really want to get out there and do it yourself, - and there is still so much to learn.
But Larry does not keep his secrets to himself, but shares his knowledge with us all.
Larry is to digital photography what Ansel Adams was to analog. Larry is a true master."
29th December, 2006
Treforlutions TreVizionz says:
"I'm always in awe of people whose passion shines through in what they love to do or gives them "great pleasure" as Larry puts it. And the pleasure is all mine with what I see of what Larry has seen and captured with his cameras and the vibrant images presented here for all to see in his photostream.
Words do not adequately describe Larry's visions (though he does a good job himself) of the world he visits, too many of them have left me speechless and somewhat humbled by the grandeur of his pictures. Take a look at the art of this adventurous man and see what you have to say."
24th December, 2006
R-Rated Birdman says:
"Larry Gerbrandt is one talented photographer.
His images are inspiring.
I never tire looking at his images from the B&W set to his Vivid Color set. These are images to admire and learn from.
Larry's HDRI images are second to none. He is meticulous and has that photographer's eye that gets him those stunning photos. I know he has to put in a lot of hard work to produce so many stunning images and have to admire him for it.
Thanks for the inspiration Larry. I hope to follow your photography and learn from your images for years to come."
23rd September, 2006
- Larry Gerbrandt
- June 2006
- San Jose, CA
- Los Angeles, USA
- I am:
- Male and Open
- Media Analyst
- lgerbrandt [at] sbcglobal.net
- Yahoo! IM: