Hello, and thanks for stopping by!
Jeff is a 21 year-old Los Angeles-based landscape photographer, currently studying meteorology at UCLA. His work has been featured in local magazines, contests, art galleries, various photo websites, and most recently, the cover of the official UCLA 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 agendas. He is one of twelve student artists around the United States to be featured in Adobe's global Creative Cloud campaign.
Jeff is an avid hiker and backpacker; over the summer, he is a backcountry ranger in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Many of his images are taken in extremely remote, almost-never-before-photographed locations -- he is known to plan a 100-mile hiking trip, mostly off trail, just to get a shot.
Jeff is known for his fusion of atmospheric science and landscape photography. He uses satellite images, weather models, and short and long-range forecasts to predict when and where the best light will occur at sunrise and sunset. A crucial part of making a stunning landscape image is being in the right place at the right time when the optimal light and weather conditions converge. Jeff uses his background in meteorology to maximize his chances of being in such situations.
You can view more of his work on his website, www.landESCAPEphotography.com.
^The photographer. :)
If you are interested in prints, gifts, or anything of that kind, please don't hesitate to message me, either through Flickr or email, jeff[at]landESCAPEphotography.com. I'm a starving student, so any help is appreciated ;)
Equipment | My equipment is limited by two factors: that I am a student on a tight budget, and that I must be able to carry it on extended backpacking trips.
My current gear includes:
Canon EOS 5D Mark II.
Canon 16-35 f/2.8 L II USM (my pride and joy).
Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (which I hardly ever use).
Feisol CT-3441S Rapid lightweight carbon fiber tripod.
Feisol CB40 tripod ballhead.
Singh-Ray 0.9 3-stop reverse graduated neutral density filter.
Hitech 0.9 3-stop soft graduated neutral density filter.
Lee Big Stopper 10-stop neutral density filter.
Cokin 82mm adaptor and Z-Pro filter holder.
Hoya 82mm circular polarizer.
Yonguo YN-560 II flash.
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.
Adobe Photoshop CS6.
Canon EOS 5D.
Canon Rebel XSi.
Canon 17-40mm f/4 L USM (which I'm currently trying to sell... message me if you're interested!)
Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (which I'm also trying to sell)
Hitech graduated neutral density filters
Cokin P series adapter and 77mm ring
Dolica Proline tripods
Whether you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, I'd love your feedback. Please don't hesitate to comment on any of my images, add me as a contact, and the like. It means a lot. I always welcome constructive suggestions, via comments as well as flickr mail -- a photographer with nothing left to improve is a photographer with nowhere left to go.
Also, if you have any questions about exactly where a photo was taken, equipment, settings, or anything else, fire away - photography is not magic and I have no reason to make believe.
I also offer landscape workshops since my meteorological approach to landscape photography is different from most. Keep an eye on my website and photostream for insight about basic weather forecasting, understanding natural light, and other aspects of atmospheric science that can help you maximize your chances of being in the right place at the right time.
okay, so I promise I'll keep this quick:
(1) Flickr stuff:
- If you invite my image to your group, I'm quite flattered, thanks! That said, if your group involves mandatory awarding, I may decline. If I do, it's nothing against you.
- Feel free to add me as a contact; I will definitely check out your stream, and I'll try my best to give your photos the attention and feedback they deserve. (It might take me a few days.) We all lead busy lives, but if you can make time for my photos, I can make time for yours. As my contact list grows, it has become more difficult to keep up with everyone, so I now mark my closest contacts as 'friends'.
- One more nag: PLEASE avoid sending me comment spam -- I'm fine with an image/award in a comment as long as there's actually a comment to go along with it. Being nice is easy. :)
(2). COPYRIGHT AND USE OF MY PHOTOS. ALL of the images on my flickr and website are copyright © Jeff Lewis | landESCAPEphotography. I have been on the fence for a long time about use of my images, and I've decided, yes, I'm cool with you using them on your personal blogs, StumbleUpon, Twitter, Facebook, school projects, and the like -- but, please, only if you notify me first, and only with credit VIA A LINK back to either my website or flickr. Do not sell them in any way, shape, or form -- that requires a license, which you can purchase by messaging me.
As a general rule, if you feel like you're stealing my photo, you probably are. If you feel like you aren't stealing my photo, you probably aren't. Cool? Cool. :)
note: Many other photographers do not allow unauthorized use of their images on blogs and other social media sites. Please be mindful of that.
Thanks again for visiting, and enjoy!
Jeff Lewis | landESCAPE photography
website | www.landESCAPEphotography.com
email | jeff [at] landESCAPEphotography.com
flickr | www.flickr.com/landESCAPEphotography
Photos of landESCAPEphotography | jeff lewis (2)
- Western Snowscapes 275 photos, 28 members
- California Photographer - Best Photos from California 20,602 photos, 1,094 members
- Absolute Quality Gallery ~ Invite only 762 photos, 884 members
- Inspiration photo school 409 photos, 43 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark III Group 622,994 photos, 23,775 members
- Flickr's Best Landscape Photographers 11,891 photos, 393 members
- queer photographers 45,494 photos, 1,070 members
- Favorites: 150 1,486 photos, 954 members
- Favorites: 200 2,209 photos, 1,343 members
- Faves EXTREME 200..... 137 photos, 46 members
- 200+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 3,599 photos, 1,101 members
- Photos of a natural nature 33 photos, 14 members
- 100+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 20,500 photos, 3,111 members
- Absolutely Stunning Elite Gallery- ASEG 1,634 photos, 174 members
- So. Cal Shooters 76,198 photos, 1,393 members
- Apollo and Dionysus (Moderated) P1/C3 5,645 photos, 240 members
- Stunning Skies 8,249 photos, 484 members
- 100 faves 6,097 photos, 777 members
- Faves EXTREME 100 (<10 views per fave) 616 photos, 181 members
- Faves EXTREME 125..... 155 photos, 70 members
- 100+ Faves • 100+ Comments 624 photos, 432 members
- 100 faves, 100 comments and 1000 views (p1/f1/c1) 2,803 photos, 402 members
- ~ Flickr's Finest (100+ Faves Only) ~ 7,715 photos, 781 members
- Photographer's Choice~Hall of Fame (Invitation) 22,617 photos, 2,116 members
- Dragon Sword Award, L3 (P1 A2 Sweeper) 650 photos, 262 members
- Dragon Sword Award, L2 (P1 A3 Sweeper) 1,184 photos, 391 members
- Croporamas 952 photos, 271 members
- Best of Yosemite 1,774 photos, 227 members
- LAist Featured Photos 99,123 photos, 2,197 members
- ZionNPS 258 photos, 84 members
- Utah Landscapes 44,260 photos, 3,711 members
- flickr (unofficial) 1,801,135 photos, 81,023 members
- Gas, Camera, Action! Worldwide Photography Contest 786 photos, 110 members
- The Sierra Nevada Collection 833 photos, 65 members
- .Super A+++ Photo group (Post 1, Award 2)-by Invitation Only 37,745 photos, 7,546 members
- Landscape Masterclass 1,679 photos, 447 members
- Favorites: 100 6,707 photos, 2,597 members
- Natural World. (P1/C2) 21,487 photos, 1,226 members
- Sand/Sea/Sky/Sun : The Four Fantastic ( Invitation ) 9,494 photos, 1,004 members
- Inspirational Landscape images 5,132 photos, 753 members
- EOS Adventure 213,377 photos, 7,251 members
- ***A Place For Great Photographers***Super Elite Hall of Fame 369 photos, 170 members
- The Pantheon of Landscape 5,753 photos, 801 members
- Rien que pour vos yeux (P1 A3 Sweeper) 1,085 photos, 463 members
- Landscape Photographs Premium (Admin Invitation only) 1,097 photos, 407 members
- ☆The Power Of Now ☆ 18,755 photos, 1,397 members
- [ Wonders of Nature ] 40,877 photos, 1,965 members
- Landscape Photographs - P 1 A 1 35,961 photos, 4,242 members
- ! Amazing Nature Hall of Fame ! LEVEL 5 P1/A4 7,125 photos, 1,442 members
- !Amazing Nature Level 4! P1/A4 7,782 photos, 1,422 members
Mario Marez says:
"My friend and I just completed a personal workshop with Jeff Lewis in Death Valley and Lone Pine, California. First I would like to say I was very grateful for his flexibility to change a coastal trip to an inland trip, due to a huge storm that hit L.A. Jeff's attention to detail and each of our skill levels was right on target. In addition to having us pay attention to the weather and our surroundings at each location for compositions, he has a knack for the micro details within compositions. He combines a shooting method that I will use from now on. After looking at how Jeff works, I now understand what it begins to take, to get something of the caliber of his shots in the camera. During the post processing portion he went over all areas of our photos with Lightroom 5 and Photoshop. The smallest details he will correct in a processed photo, will be those things that add up to a super even detailed and sharp image once completed. He's super friendly and very willing to share his knowledge, and I would definitely take another workshop from him again.
15th March, 2014
- Jeff Lewis
- November 2011
- I am:
- Male and Single