I'm finally in the last year for my part-time photography student, so my flickr is full of experiments at the moment, and my day-to-day life.
I love my film cameras, and at the moment I'm obsessed with time, water, light, and trying to take that elusive photo that you feel rather than think about.
I live in Bristol with my partner Vik, aka Bingo Little - well, she thinks she's bingo, I prefer to think of her as Mike to my Psmith...
My photoblog of Bristol graffiti lives here - and I write and podcast about women's cycling, and the best place to start on that is here
- Madrid - Street Art - Madrid 27,182 photos, 983 members
- ===> Graffiti Arrows -------> 1,892 photos, 123 members
- C215 7,845 photos, 434 members
- Manchester Track Cycling World Cup 2008 318 photos, 27 members
- INVITATION: 25 Decisive Moments Art Opening, Friday, October 24 221 photos, 867 members
- FRAGIL, street R 367 photos, 45 members
- URBANISM magazine 57,767 photos, 2,180 members
- Flickl - Theory Cafe 36 photos, 28 members
- The Flickl Triennial 4 photos, 21 members
- Sickboy 671 photos, 130 members
- Street or Studio 2,087 photos, 2,436 members
- Clothkits 326 photos, 84 members
- Agains rude Flickr groups group 1 photo, 19 members
- Torbay 7,014 photos, 423 members
- Photography Slideshow Video 1,186 photos, 225 members
- * The Long Photo * 1,397 photos, 260 members
- We Demand Donuts: April 23 is The Day of The Donut VI 2,192 photos, 3,322 members
- BBC: My Bristol 9,228 photos, 283 members
- Mock Tudor 336 photos, 78 members
- LOMO UNDERGROUND 347 photos, 85 members
- Wooster Collective 443,317 photos, 6,896 members
- 100 Things About Me 232 photos, 94 members
- Menashe Kadishman Art 44 photos, 9 members
- end roll/burn frame 1,534 photos, 346 members
- Graffiti Photography 28,559 photos, 1,825 members
- heart street art (READ THE RULES!) 4,905 photos, 326 members
- Well Embarrascan 221 photos, 53 members
- Frome 95 photos, 19 members
- CopyRight... 743 photos, 137 members
- CEPT.... 566 photos, 180 members
- Imaginary England: Not exactly snowed under. 1,485 photos, 134 members
- Jef Aérosol 6,065 photos, 3,255 members
- Sheffield 36,472 photos, 2,033 members
- How We Are Now 5,126 photos, 2,675 members
- Could Dan be your man? 4 photos, 4 members
- Flickr Ideas 0 photos, 11,543 members
- European Wooden Architecture (No half-timber) 5,832 photos, 499 members
- Redscale Film 27,717 photos, 3,348 members
- wing mirrors 310 photos, 68 members
- Sugar Dude Liberation Front -- Pro Cakis Mori! 185 photos, 43 members
- Aesthetics of Failure 8,959 photos, 8,136 members
- Bristol Gigs 1,576 photos, 102 members
- 36 Views of Didcot Power Station 35 photos, 43 members
- Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim 44,346 photos, 4,287 members
- Bar/Public Bathroom Self Portraits 1,272 photos, 1,641 members
- 365 Britons 1,551 photos, 83 members
- Feztastic-the album 114 photos, 87 members
- Le grand tour de birdw0rks 28 photos, 6 members
- Graffiti Wisdom 2,101 photos, 344 members
- Free Alan 24 photos, 43 members
"The ultimate source contemporary for Bristol Graffiti imagery!
Also a thoroughly nice girl, highly talented and always smiling!"
20th March, 2008
"Artist, graffiti archivist, lurker in train vestibules, connoisseur of the weird and the wonderful with endless enthusiasm for cameras digital, film, polaroid and pinhole; for film expired, cross processed, double-exposed and home-developed; and for the sheer joy of taking photographs whenever and wherever they occur, up in the air, down on the floor, swimming in the sea, or of making them occur if they're not doing it on their own.
If she says "jump", ask "how high?"
It'll make a great shot."
30th March, 2007
"When I'm having a rubbish day, I turn to the 'Dr knautia advises' sets....Custard Slice and Tiramisu have to be the funniest photographic tonic ever. I have an insane notion (not unusual for me) that one day she will place The Dino's, Toastboy, and Custard Slice in one set whilst on a visit to Newcastle when the New York flickr-gang are over. Then she should submit the results as her end of year art school portfolio. The carnage would be worth it. Mark my words this woman is hugely talented and has a personality and presence to match.
If she dosn't keel over with a twisted spine from all the camera's she carries after taking them apart on the living room floor, substituting various bits for scrabble pieces, gaffer tape and the odd swear word, she might even be famous one day...
If you meet her, expect to have your hair scrutinised, prepare to jump on demand and gurn at the slightest glint of those watchful eyes. Oh and top tip here - ALWAYS dripfeed her complex carbohydrates and beer at regular intervals throughout the day."
5th December, 2006
"Knautia; is fun she sweeps in like a hurricane; she has a fantastic eye and I'm glad to have collaborated with her on so many Tale of Two Cities shoots."
13th April, 2006
"knautia has a way with dinosaurs, commanding them with a strange guttural exclamation to put down whatever drink they have in hand (dark rum and ribena, wheat-grass juice and dodgy scrumpy, Marmite and Guinness) and start carrying her camera equipment. This mastery is evident in her photography."
5th April, 2006
"knautia is a force of nature. the only reason a hurricane hasn't been named "knautia" is that it's really a plant, not a name. well, now it is a name! so, what's in a knautia? incredible energy, curiousity, and intelligence; sly wit and silly humor; a huge generous heart; an irresistable will (the word "juggernaut" comes to mind--maybe "juggerknautia"); and a willingness to throw herself into anything interesting at least once. oh, and she also has an amazing eye and takes marvelous photos!"
25th October, 2005
"Thieving an idea from a great little stunted Shel Silverstein poem I only vaguely remember...
Does knautia need another testimonial after birdw0rks'?
So, seriously, I am agog at knautia's discerning eye, her floor photos got me hooked initially and now I am always loving the new things I'm seeing and appreciating her willingness to play and talk and make recommendations and encourage. Her great descriptions of her images and local Bristol haunts make me feel like I’m getting an education on the area and they are so distinctly ‘knautia’.
(…her messy disgustoids I was secretly impressed by but too scared to comment on due to the risk of being asked to contribute to the group... um, yeah, I don't… um, eat stuff... uh, *looks at watch* gotta go!)"
12th September, 2005
"I shall make a serious comment about owerr Sarah: she has much more photographic talent than she gives herself credit for (although that’s better than the other way around, ain’t it?). There are the occasional self deprecating comments regarding “maybe taking this photography thing seriously one day”, but what’s clear from her photostream is that she has a natural eye and the technical ability to produce damned fine images. Her switch to a digital slr can only produce more of the same and even finer results. Also, Knautia epitomises one of the wonderful aspects of flickr which is seeing the world via someone else’s vision – she snaps and frames differently to me so that even familiar objects and locations are freshly reinterpreted. I like that.
On the personal front, very occasionally one meets that rare type of individual in the flesh (ooooh, the flesh) who feels instantly like an old friend, who shares a certain sense of ridiculousness, in whose company you feel completely at ease. I’m very lucky to have, via flickr chance really, spent time with norty Knautia and her luverlie Bingo during their travels, and now wish that she lived locally – undoubtedly we would be worryingly bad for each other (by which, of course, I mean good), egging each other on, and heaven knows the disturbing photos we’d end up with.
Summary: a woman aftah me own art, innit."
21st July, 2005
Sparrows' Friend says:
"Knautia is a true Flickr obsessive - never goes anywhere without a camera, and the results are always worth seeing. One of the main reasons to elect Knautia to the Flickr Hall of Fame is for making toast interesting - so much so, that I really cared about the fate of Colonel Toast *sob*."
22nd May, 2005
"She lives in Bristol... you just can't beat that! :)
Oh and she take some very nice photos, too!"
22nd March, 2005
"Knautia is a woman of the sea, of skies, a searcher in pools of water, a drifter in the light. I love her pictures. More please."
11th February, 2005
- Sarah Connolly
- December 2004
- Bristol, England
- I am: