I am a very keen amateur photographer and I have been ever since I was about 8yrs old when my late father Norman first let me loose on his camera gear, he along with his best friend Cyril took many photos in the West Yorkshire area (Then known as the West Riding) sadly however most of his work was lost whilst moving house and this is something that I sadly regret.
I was born in 1959 and growing up in the 1960's was very enlightening, It was a time of change and a time of discovery both technological and moral and as we approached the 70's "my most fomative years" the country was in turmoil. Being an only child I was spoilt to a certain extent and my time spent with my parents was educational and informative.
My Mum (Edith) and Dad (Norman) on their wedding day.
Mum (Edith) was a very good homemaker she was one of thirteen children so she knew how to respect the little we had at the time, she looked after me very well, my father (Norman) worked in engineering, first of all at a company called Bradley and Craven and then later on for boilermakers Spurr and Inman who were taken over by Greens on Calder Vale Road in Wakefield.
I took a keen interest in news and current affairs and photography was a natural progression. I often went out on my own taking photo's of what I thought were interesting subjects, and that has rubbed off on me in later life.
My camera at that time was a little Halina 35mm, I used to take it everywhere with me, I would then rush back home blank out the bathroom window put a board on the bath and set up my fathers darkroom equipment which consisted of a Gnome enlarger an home made safety light made out of an old contact print box and several dishes with home made heaters, IE light bulbs sealed into old biscuit tins.
My Old Halina 35mm Camera
I only dabbled in Black and White I just didnt have the money for colour in those days. I would hang the strips of negatives to dry on a piece of string fastening them with bulldog clips one at the top and one at the bottom for weight.
Once dried i would load up the enlarger and print my photo's I can almost smell the Hypo (Fixer) now.
That was then this is now.......
I got married then divorced !!, photography was put on the back burner for many years, but being single again has re-awakened my passion for photography and it takes up a lot of my spare time.
Wakefield Cathedral and City Centre from Clarence Park
I will photograph just about anything and I am always on the lookout for a good photo opportunity, When I first started on Flickr I had a Fuji S9500 bridge camera that did some great macro work, I then moved on to an Olympus E420 before getting a Nikon D5000 with an 18-55mm and a 55-200mm Zoom along with a 50mm 1.8 very fast prime lens which I have just aquired and am very pleased with the results so far, having now upgraded to a Nikon D5100 I am really liking the results especially with my nature work, I invested in a Tamron 70-300mm with a macro facility which is great for birds and dragonflies as you dont have to get too close and risk spooking them.
Whilst still working on a budget I bought a Nikon 50mm Macro with true 1:1 ratio, the only downside is that you have to get real close to the subject which of course is ideal for one of my favourite subjects flowers.
My hometown is Wakefield in West Yorkshire and at the moment it is going through quite a bit of redevelopment, not all for the good either in my humble opinion, and I suppose that I am trying to preserve the past in some of my work by recording things that will sadly be no longer with us soon.
Sandal Castle just South of Wakefield at Sunset.
I really like to do HDR (High Dynamic Range) but it do not go in for the arty type of HDR which looks overprocessed and garish, I just like my pictures to look natural and use HDR to see into places not normally seen on a single exposure.
Please take a look at my photos any comments will be greatly appreciated (Good and Bad) but overall please enjoy the photos as it makes it all the more worthwhile.
Irises in Springtime taken at Thornes Park in Wakefield.
Recently I have become interested in Macro photography of still life subjects and also flowers, and as the seasons change there is a profusion of flowers available to photograph, to my utter joy and amazement a couple these have made it into Explore which of course is the Holy Grail of Flickr.
My first front page on Flickr, this was my 600th upload and the 50th photo to make explore.
BTW You can also find me on Facebook.
My Facebook Page
Photos of Osgoldcross Photography (2)
- European Goldfinch (Chardonneret, Maknine) 1,187 photos, 286 members
- Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM 68,729 photos, 2,598 members
- South Lakes Animal Park 9,199 photos, 172 members
- Birds birds birds birds! 109,206 photos, 12,311 members
- Avian Photography 63,779 photos, 2,125 members
- Enchanted Forests of the World 21,921 photos, 2,659 members
- The British Countryside 230,888 photos, 6,790 members
- The Forest 89,838 photos, 8,032 members
- Woods & Forests 87,764 photos, 8,226 members
- WOODLAND Trust 2,189 photos, 193 members
- ! * Beautiful and revered old age * ! Moderated - P1/C2 1,677 photos, 234 members
- A Piece of Me 189,356 photos, 14,384 members
- NIKON D7100 photography 196 photos, 17 members
- Nikon D7100 Group 7,327 photos, 1,110 members
- D7100 CLUB 1,656 photos, 246 members
- Nikon D7100 DSLR 4,143 photos, 661 members
- ALL MACRO 17,077 photos, 1,771 members
- Age is Just a Number 23,762 photos, 1,964 members
- "Emozioni in bianco e nero - Emotions in Black and White 134,602 photos, 6,319 members
- Tra un Manifesto e Lo Specchio - High quality images 117,783 photos, 6,270 members
- BBC Sky at Night and Stargazing LIVE 33,704 photos, 5,079 members
- birds(aves) 156 photos, 8 members
- ! * Fantastic Christmas picture gallery ! Post 1 / Award 2 4,957 photos, 1,033 members
- BestOf... Nature 559 photos, 110 members
- BestOf... Colors 324 photos, 72 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 394,269 photos, 21,823 members
-  Modern Times  21,743 photos, 2,078 members
- BestOf... 2,243 photos, 396 members
- Follow me my friends 82,639 photos, 3,003 members
- WALES Pictorial (WALES Landscape, WALES Coastline) 14,565 photos, 995 members
- Snowdonia 19,304 photos, 1,593 members
- flickr (unofficial) 904,408 photos, 68,348 members
- Warner Leisure Hotels 1,100 photos, 109 members
- Historical Places - 13,810 photos, 1,310 members
- Old Moor RSPB 1,266 photos, 126 members
- NUESTRAS FOTOGRAFÍAS. (Post 1 comment 2) 8,082 photos, 407 members
- "Fußball ist ein schöner Sport" 937 photos, 204 members
- ***PHOTO OF OUR MEMORIES*** 33,810 photos, 1,509 members
- Flora on Flickr 26,752 photos, 2,144 members
- wild through my eyes... 8,233 photos, 341 members
- The scent of photography 53,863 photos, 2,433 members
- Tabletop Photography 2,237 photos, 166 members
- Lemurs 5,066 photos, 977 members
- Table top studio photography 3,905 photos, 388 members
- Stills and Table Top. Natural & Artificial Light 270 photos, 55 members
- Speedlight Lovers 2,392 photos, 338 members
-  Flickr. DNA  65,660 photos, 2,626 members
- Super Group Photographic 158,314 photos, 4,164 members
- Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (WWT) 19,312 photos, 792 members
- SARDEGNA chiama SICILIA e viceversa. 33,457 photos, 2,122 members
"This is long overdue.....
Kevin is an amazing photographer. His talent is so obvious when you take a look at his photostream and it is a real treat to view his photos.
His interests are varied .... from landscapes, to birds, to still life, to close-ups...he does it all extremely well. I have learned a lot from viewing his images.
Thank-you for the testimonial you wrote for me, Kevin.....very nice of you :-)
19th February, 2013
Tony's Place.... says:
"Kevin always maintains a high standard time after time. I realised that I am trying in my less talented way to do the same. Therefore I am improving simply by seeing his pictures.
4th September, 2009
David Wilby says:
"I've known Kevin for many a year now - he's my best mate, my brother - my truest friend. We've been by each others side through all the good and bad this life throws at us - and he's been there for me no matter what...
Regardless of these facts, you just have to look at his ever-increasing body of work on flickr to see that he has an amazing talent for photography (far surpassing his own ridiculous idea of his skills).
Currently Kevin is specializing in HDR - he's said to me that he can't see ever changing back to regular photos for long and he is becoming increasingly skilled in this area of photography in particular, though his pictures improve day by day no matter what his subject or method.
I suppose one of the best compliments I could give Kev is that time after time, he takes the kind of pictures that I want to take, that I want to see - I hope you all want to see them too...
Thank you Kev, for everything.
27th November, 2008
- Kevin Wakelam
- September 2008
- South Elmsall, United Kingdom
- I am:
- Male and Taken