kdee64's photostream Pro User
"Beginners worry about equipment, pros worry about skills, masters worry about light"
An amateur nature and landscape photographer for about 40 years, more seriously so in recent years, I'm a semi-retired youth worker in a treatment facility for cognitively and behaviourally challenged adolescents in Whitehorse Yukon, north of the 60th parallel in Canada.
As a photographer, my goal is to celebrate the infinite beauty of the natural world. My images have been published in books, online publications, newspapers, magazines and are used by businesses, NGO's, educational institutions and conservation initiatives internationally. Some of these include: Wikipedia, Canadian Wildlife Federation, World Handbook of Birds- IBC, Prafulla.net, Biosphère, National Geographic Daily News, The New York Times, National Examiner, Mother Nature Network, Hello Magazine, Iltalehti, Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, the Royal Ontario Museum, The Globe and Mail, the Telegraph, The Sun, the Daily Mirror and other international newspapers. I was honoured when some of my photos were in included in a collection from nature photographers around the world, a project that aims to preserve digital images of the world's wildlife species for posterity. This is an initiative of the London-based ARKive organization, partly the brainchild of David Attenborough. Recently one of my images received an honourable mention in the World Bird Photo contest, selected out of 10,754 entries from 128 countries.
If you're interested in any of my work, it is available at no cost to non-profit organizations and those of very limited means--just send me a Flickr mail. To purchase a high res file, high quality fine-art prints, metal or canvas, please contact me at my Flickr mail or Hotmail to make arrangements that suit your needs and budget: email@example.com
(I can also provide an interesting, well-written article/story suitable for publication to go with any of my photos)
I inherited my creative side from my mother who was a water-colour and acrylic artist, as well as an actress trained at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London. Other than photography, I'm into birding, outdoors activities, natural history, movies, art, technology, music, cooking, markets, political affairs, having a good laugh and drinking a little red wine or good ale. To me, photography is the ultimate fusion of art and technology, and those with a strong sense of creative vision, who have also mastered the technology and software, are best equipped to produce outstanding images. On those few occasions that I create a decent image, it is often the result of hard work, planning, time and effort.
I believe there's too much emphasis on expensive gear, formula-style and imitating the work of others in photography, usually not enough on the all-important creative side. A truly outstanding photo is usually the result of a harmonious composition, interesting and original subject matter, attractive light and colour. Many excellent landscape photographers do eye-popping renditions of others' work at popular photogenic venues. Some practice a formula-style 'minimalism' that can rob the land of its unique beauty, creating a generic image that could be taken anywhere. These images make great 'eye-candy', but are found everywhere, and have become unoriginal at best, pretentious at worst. I try, but am not always successful, in creating original, harmonious and hopefully unique images of the natural world north of 60.
I find the full-frame cameras and big expensive glass too cumbersome and heavy to carry around for nature photography in this rugged Yukon landscape. There are few trails here and I often bush-whack to get the shot. Currently I shoot with the Nikon D7000, D5100 and my trusty old D60's of which I own 3, all attached to different lenses.
Popularity has never equaled quality in the arts, especially true in photography. Some of the more uninspired photos get hundreds or even thousands of views. On the other hand, many aesthetically brilliant, creative images get only a handful of "views" "comments". "favs".These seem to be unreliable indicators of a photograph's quality. Certainly, the photographer should know intuitively if his/her image is outstanding or perhaps not so great, though I suspect it's human nature to seek the approval of others, regardless of image quality.
By design, I have a relatively small contact list, mostly loyal supporters, and the odd photographer whose work I'm interested in learning from on a temporary basis. Commenting and viewing can be time-consuming, so please forgive me if I can't reciprocate by adding you as a contact, if you have listed me as one. However, like everybody, I appreciate comments, and constructive criticism is especially welcome if it will improve my work.
Photos of kdee64 (2)
- Soar in Nature’s Spirit (Admin Invitation) 1,012 photos, 190 members
- The Ionosphere 254 photos, 44 members
- Flickr's Best Landscape Photographers 10,400 photos, 368 members
- Best Landscape Photos of Canada 1,060 photos, 113 members
- Nature Conservancy of Canada 5,103 photos, 360 members
- Absolutely Stunning Elite Gallery- ASEG 1,340 photos, 165 members
- Apollo and Dionysus (Moderated) P1/C3 2,915 photos, 155 members
- ☆The Power Of Now ☆ 17,496 photos, 1,171 members
- Art in Black and White 123,719 photos, 8,795 members
- 54 Degrees and More 90 photos, 12 members
- Elite Star Trails (single frame long exposures only) 214 photos, 809 members
- Nightscapes - Natural Landscapes at Night 19,444 photos, 3,777 members
- Top-Photo-Spots 5,516 photos, 596 members
- Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) 3,238 photos, 559 members
- Aurora (Borealis and Australis) 11,910 photos, 3,138 members
- Our Planet at Night 811 photos, 140 members
- The Sky- We Are Expanding!!! 23,788 photos, 1,692 members
- Solo nocturnas - Night shots 5,378 photos, 429 members
- The World at Night 2,184 photos, 234 members
- The charm of the night - Magic night photos - Foto della notte - 2,674 photos, 98 members
- unusual sky 5,652 photos, 558 members
- The colors of the sky 8,344 photos, 791 members
- Night Images 866,453 photos, 106,645 members
- Top 20 Northern Lights 19 photos, 566 members
- TOP SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wild birds ........ 1,758 photos, 411 members
- Nikon D7000 Astrophotography 1,797 photos, 267 members
- this is Canada-Photo Competition 4,158 photos, 868 members
- Nikon D5100 183,962 photos, 8,537 members
- Super stunning shots 811 photos, 42 members
- Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR Micro Lens 6,752 photos, 2,966 members
- Sigma 150/2.8 Macro club 20,106 photos, 1,440 members
- Flickr Ideas 0 photos, 11,446 members
- Globe and Mail Reader Submissions 49,857 photos, 4,938 members
- Nature's Best Photography Flickr Contest 5,075 photos, 2,903 members
- Audubon magazine 24,420 photos, 606 members
- Group with Ҽxperience 1,250,426 photos, 192,885 members
- **Snow, Snow, Snow!** 44,530 photos, 5,280 members
- Living Jewels of Nature - post 1 comment 3 23,695 photos, 1,522 members
- Best of Lovers of Landscapes / Invite only 3,880 photos, 580 members
- Your "Postcard" Shot 381,499 photos, 13,170 members
- [ Wonders of Nature ] 33,118 photos, 1,680 members
- Fine art minimalism 1,427 photos, 932 members
- Capture Nature / No human elements / 26,352 photos, 2,065 members
- Beautiful Light - One a Day 28,038 photos, 1,915 members
- Landscapes of the World 233,155 photos, 9,759 members
- Natural Landscapes 17,343 photos, 3,256 members
- Dusk - The Twilight Zone 16,342 photos, 1,779 members
- Twilight Zone 13,153 photos, 1,456 members
- BirdWatching Magazine 23,207 photos, 469 members
- Kluane National Park 149 photos, 16 members
kdee64 doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Keith Williams
- January 2010
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- amateur nature photographer