Minnesotan with Norwegian heritage. A former resident of Kobe, Japan, who enjoys exploring this fascinating country as much as time & resources allow. I have a Master's Degree with a specialty in Japanese history--studying under Dr. Kenneth Lee (Cal-State Northridge). Im a published author/photographer, also working on a book based on my award-nominated graduate research dealing with cultural/religious practices during the Edo period. I currently work in the education field, and enjoy a variety of hobbies including travel, photography, dining, fitness, and spending way too much time on the internet.
Yukio Mishima once said that it is impossible for the foreign mind to comprehend the true essence of Japan. However, I have done my best to treat each topic appropriately. I am not a professional photographer, but I hope that you will appreciate these shots for their historical significance. I endeavor to show all sides of Japan--the commonplace, as well as scenic beauty and ancient architecture. My personal travel images are mixed in... Please bear with me.
*I write my own captions.
*If you wish to negotiate a purchase price for use of a specific photo, please send me a Flickrmail with the specific image title or URL. I allow free personal or educational use of all my images--but, please, ask me first.
My photos have appeared in:
Die japanischen Botschaften beim Vatikan 1585 (2012)
iiTomo I & II (2011)
Zoom Japan (10/2010)
Newsweek Polska (11/2010)
Zoo Journal #6 (2010)
CCA convention invitations (February 2010)
Studio Classroom #12 (December 2009)
LWF Bible Studies #6 (2009)
University of Minnesota Dept. of Landscape & Architecture promotional posters (2009)
It's a Beautiful World (2009)
Pharmacies of the World (2009)
En Route #1 (2009)
Nederlands Tijschift voor Geneeskunde #4 (2008)
Treasures of the Dragon (2007)
Mythologies of the World (TBA)
Hot & Cool Guides: Japanese Culture (TBA)
- Tamron 18-200mm 25,080 photos, 938 members
- Food Porn 654,329 photos, 47,244 members
- Various characters 770 photos, 19 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 13,893 photos, 1,307 members
- Fukuoka 11,150 photos, 603 members
- OSAKA-GA ┃ 大 阪 画 4,837 photos, 496 members
- Favorites: 100 5,353 photos, 2,444 members
- Nagano Japan 長野 3,687 photos, 148 members
- Favorites: 50 9,164 photos, 3,563 members
- Best of Minneapolis 6,332 photos, 415 members
- Japan Through the Eyes of Others 179,408 photos, 5,237 members
- UFO CATCHER ™ 287 photos, 185 members
- JAPAN-IN-BW (Black-and-White) 36,267 photos, 1,238 members
- WE love JAPAN! 40,875 photos, 641 members
- Everything Minnesota! (Please join!) 37,056 photos, 1,001 members
- Nikon 18-55 mm 50,287 photos, 3,584 members
- Historic Minneapolis 977 photos, 216 members
- Japanese Snacks and Confectionery 4,669 photos, 659 members
- Minnesota Marvels (Roadside Attractions) 717 photos, 729 members
- Kokoro no shashin - Creative commons pictures of Japan 5,698 photos, 204 members
- The Beauty of St. Paul, MN 8,727 photos, 645 members
- Peanuts Gang Statues (Twin Cities) 597 photos, 34 members
- Minneapolis at Night 3,925 photos, 453 members
- Twin Cities 95,486 photos, 3,022 members
- Japanese Lanterns 640 photos, 164 members
- Japan Architecture 5,619 photos, 536 members
- JAPAN: Architecture and Garden 日本の建築と庭園 18,238 photos, 931 members
- Japanese Historical Sites 5,497 photos, 141 members
- The Green Machine: Yamanote Loop. 602 photos, 86 members
- KANAGAWA 23,008 photos, 425 members
- Minnesota State Fair 4,743 photos, 431 members
- Nikon Digital SLRs 255,497 photos, 4,764 members
- Japan at * Night * 4,966 photos, 209 members
- Japan's Four Seasons 四季［春夏秋冬］ 18,744 photos, 764 members
- Japanese & Chinese Gardens. 17,217 photos, 1,837 members
- Famous Japan 48,816 photos, 1,315 members
- Views: 2000 19,474 photos, 6,155 members
- Buddhism 42,716 photos, 3,444 members
- Images of Kamakura 1,541 photos, 160 members
- Tokyo Images 187,023 photos, 5,955 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 42,184 photos, 4,894 members
- Japanese KitKat 1,409 photos, 186 members
- Shibuya 7,022 photos, 717 members
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites 107,084 photos, 5,305 members
- Japanese Signs / 日本語の標識 4,785 photos, 509 members
- SAKURA 3,603 photos, 232 members
- Shiga 滋賀 2,305 photos, 116 members
- Japan-o-philia 185,279 photos, 5,815 members
- Mall of America 613 photos, 80 members
- Japanese Snacks 5,291 photos, 982 members
"THANK YOU DEAR FRIEND.THE EYE CAPTURES A MOMENT IN TIME IN A WAY THAT YOU SEE IT,AND OH SO WELL YOU DO IT. YOUR EFFECTS ARE BEAUTIFUL. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A LOVE OF MINE. THE ORIENT HAS ALWAYS FASCINATED ME AND RESPECT FOR THEIR WAYS. I REALLY ENJOY YOUR WORK AND LOVE THE PLACES YOU TAKE US."
25th November, 2011
Jeana Marie Photography says:
"Jonathan has a unique way of not only bringing the world to your doorstep, he also takes the time to bring knowledge to your doorstep with nearly every single image he posts. For some that means nothing, but for many that means a lot. There are those who are not able to travel the world, whether near or far, and through Jonathan's images they are not only able to travel, they are able to learn about the different cultures of the world around us.
Seems to me that kind of teaching and sharing is in short supply amongst our peers these days and perhaps we all could learn a little something more from him.
When I think of Jonathan, I think of the old adage, 'Share and share alike.' He does it well."
27th December, 2010
"Hey! Wanted to write you a testimonal, you've been such a good contact and your stream is always a surprise. You have real photos of real travels!! One day I hope to travel like that! Keep up the good photography!"
29th April, 2010
"Jonathan-san is one my favorite photographer here on flickr.he become so nice friend. I so happy see his love of japan,as he reach the heart of my country.He is great person and one the nicest people i ever know.I can recomend his photo to everyone as is like a book of art,philosphy and great thought in every image.
24th January, 2010
"Thanks for adding me as a contact. A friend of Nobunaga is a friend of mine. :-)"
31st May, 2009
"Hello Thks a lot to add me ; )"
15th February, 2009
"yay! thanks for the contact add! :)"
2nd February, 2009
"Hi there, thank you for adding me as a contact.
And also for being the first to comment on my pictures
since I made the account."
8th December, 2008
"THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADD !
(and you are my first "contact-friend "now ^^)
vincent from French Guiana"
17th September, 2008
"thank you! ^.~"
4th July, 2008
"His photo catches Japanese fantastic landscape.
I think you are Japanese than me♪
and more,you are first person who gave comments I started since march, 2008.
I hope i can communicate you long time.
of course,your face is very good looking!!
3rd July, 2008
"Hi I'm glad to see someone who likes my country taking nice pics and promoting the good sides :)
Thanks for the great works!"
27th November, 2007
- October 2006
- Minneapolis, MN
- I am:
- Follow me on Twitter