I started taking photos at age 70 and discovered Flickr. 50 000 photos and 9 years later... I love Flickr even more. I hardly believe that more then 4 million came to see my pictures. Day by day I have 1200 visitors, and some days it peaks to 4000.
I am a portraitist, mainly. I approach people and give a feeling of the real life I see around me. Life is beautiful and so much to do, learn and experience at any age! (from there my "joyoflife" link, but I use Julie70 more. Nowadays, my whole name: Julie Kertesz (see google).
I write every day in it as in my French blog Il y a de la vie après 70 ans . English blog at London after 75 And one on communication with links to my stories sound and videos CompetentComunicator
A Hungarian, born in Transylvania, I lived in France 45 years, I arrived from Paris to London in 2008 where I am active in Toastmasters, storytelling, and lately, Standup comedy and keynote speaker. I create workshops and coach, of personal storytelling.
With my pictures, I take also tell stories, I hope.
I spend lots of time on Flickr : it is wonderful to meet people from so many places in the world! and a very good place to learn too!
Your encouragements and comments are important to me. But even if no one would look at them, I believe I'll take some more anyway.
I created the following groups:
!afterclass! group that I created, having now more then 2500 members by now. Come and join us! Now we are already past our 60th month and theme.
First group I created as I like books and to read
people reading group every age, everywhere, and
never too old group to show how many things people do still at our (their) age
strangers no more photos of people we did not know but get to know better, before or after taking their pictures
Having lived from inside the micro-computing revolution from 1979, I discovered two years ago blogging and flickr. I writing diary for 60 years, but making photos I took up only three years ago and I am still learning.
My young ages diary here As a book
- *****City Night Lights***** - - Luces de la ciudad nocturna - - 45,763 photos, 5,125 members
- Street 1000views+100faves 419 photos, 647 members
- Selective Colors 29,822 photos, 5,183 members
- Selective Colour! 4,725 photos, 745 members
- dream or reality? 263,066 photos, 15,304 members
- An image to get a dream...... 4,287 photos, 377 members
- The Gallery Of Fine PORTRAIT Photography [No frames/signatures] 32,668 photos, 5,329 members
- iPhoto Group 13,936 photos, 746 members
- Apple iPad 2 / iPad 3 1,174 photos, 247 members
- 25-50 Views (Post up to 5 per day) 34,974 photos, 2,152 members
- Blackheath 1,857 photos, 105 members
- International Pillow Fight Day 1,777 photos, 193 members
- Natural Jewellery-CONTEST: Drops on Pink Flowers - OPEN! 16,857 photos, 3,033 members
- From the Train 10,327 photos, 925 members
- Glasgow Photo 3,272 photos, 2,930 members
- Wildlife In Scotland 34,291 photos, 1,521 members
- bench lovers 10,903 photos, 2,095 members
- Bench Monday (anything bench-like) 3,741 photos, 621 members
- "Croque NATURE" 184,628 photos, 3,117 members
- Le monde merveilleux de la Photo (Poste 1 photo / en commente 2) 21,245 photos, 347 members
- A Day at the Museum 178 photos, 31 members
- J'ai Deux Amours.... ❤ [Post 1 / Comment 2] 104,234 photos, 2,803 members
- La Petite Galerie *** (No people) *** (P.1 / C.2) 107,377 photos, 3,364 members
- * Amitié Amizade Amistad Friend 友誼 15,518 photos, 609 members
- FISH AND FISHERMEN 2,555 photos, 585 members
- Maryland, USA 55,329 photos, 1,627 members
- Paris de nos jours a .....! 5,819 photos, 228 members
- PHOTOS pour TOUS - (PHOTOS for ALL) 1Post - Com 2 75,708 photos, 3,053 members
- Most Interesing 5,095 photos, 276 members
- Flickr's 2-Weekly Theme Contest - New theme: Smell 540 photos, 1,813 members
- ! * Beautiful and revered old age * ! Moderated - P1/C2 1,742 photos, 237 members
- Yahoo! Studios: The Weekly Flickr Photos 10,300 photos, 2,630 members
- Smiles/Sorrisi/Sonrisas [45°contest VOTE NOW!!!] 115,090 photos, 19,448 members
- iPad uk 260 photos, 74 members
- Flickr for iPhone 12,254 photos, 2,139 members
- iPad Insight Flickr Group 1,914 photos, 841 members
- 12 12 12 69 photos, 46 members
- Fine Find! 23,444 photos, 935 members
- No place like Home!!! 6,729 photos, 571 members
- Banc Public Bench 11,314 photos, 2,001 members
- David DuChemin's Within the Frame 14,385 photos, 1,657 members
- Costume Breton 2,500 photos, 61 members
- England 220,575 photos, 6,447 members
- Hand Writing 1,843 photos, 347 members
- Skype in the Classroom 34 photos, 10 members
- Fringe Festival Fotos 3,114 photos, 185 members
- Edinburgh 95,517 photos, 4,695 members
- Special Romania 14,488 photos, 619 members
- Shooting Tourists 502 photos, 154 members
- Men together - Man to Man 2,467 photos, 331 members
"Julie, you make me happy.
I live far away from my friends and family. Possibly as far a human can be in this world. It is easy for me to get bogged down feel alone or alienated. Maybe I am the sensitive type. Never thought so but I realise now. I have to admit I smile and laugh lot lesser than I used to. And at 27 years, the curiosity towards the unknown is waning fast.
But then I see you, and there is hope. The glint in your eyes and the things those eyes see through a lens lift me up. It makes me smile. I don't know you but its what you invoke in me is what i am so thankful to you for. For what its worth, Thank you."
1st November, 2011
pjsixft ("PJ") says:
" Altho I have only just met Julie here thru' her photos, I know an OLD SOUL when I see one.. and her gift for catching the spirit of faces is awesome. I love her spit and vinegar (as my mother used to call it)... spunk, her gift and her gentleness.
After knowing her here on Flickr for several years... today I am just learning about what she went thru' in her childhood and it brings me such awe and admiration for the elder that she is for me. PJ"
23rd October, 2010
"You only started taking photos around age 70?!!! I would have thought, with a name like Kertész, you would have been born with a camera around your neck...;-)"
4th January, 2010
" Bonne et heureuse annee 2010 !!
Tes photos sont tres belles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
1st January, 2010
"What an inspiration Julie is! She is a constant learner, as well as a constant encourager! Her !afterclass! group is amazing, and I have enjoyed participating in it so much. Thank you, Julie, for who you are and all you mean to Flickr!"
30th December, 2008
I found Julie's stream by chance and I am happy that I did. I love seeing Paris and now London through her eyes and learn about Julie's life and the people in it. Julie is amazing! A woman full of spirit, curiosity, appetite for life and courage, very inspirational!!!"
29th August, 2008
Ranj Niere says:
"Julie70 shares a last name with a famous Hungarian photographer Andor Kertész. But that is not all. M. Kertész was a consummate street photographer with a fine eye for the moment and composition.
So, for that matter is Julie70"
19th January, 2008
I Nancy says:
"Julie loves to explore - people, places, new ideas. Late in life she takes up photography and begins photographing everything around her. At 70 she does a series of self-portraits. She leads several groups, one of them !afterclass!, where we met. She is both stern head master and the playful explorer. I love working with Julie, her fearless exploration with her trusty camera uncovers many unexpected surprises. If Julie can do it, so can I!"
13th October, 2007
Danièle M. says:
"J'aime beaucoup les photos de Julie - et ses blogues. Mais comment elle trouve le temps de faire tout ça??? J'espère avoir autant d'énergie quand j'aurai le même âge!"
11th February, 2007
Bête à Bon-Dieu says:
"Ce que je souhaite vieillir comme Julie ! Toujours profiter de la vie et s'amuser. Quelle energie !!"
25th January, 2007
"Prenez le temps de la connaître, elle en vaut vraiment le coup. C'est "une belle âme"."
5th October, 2006
Alp Delacroix says:
"Julie show with her photos her vitality and experiencie. For luck I found her photos one day while I surf in Flickr and I fall in love for her way of mind. She´s a excellent women we can learn a lot of things. I wish the best for Julie."
1st June, 2006
""i will be 50 on 2nd day of march, and i want to continue living like Julie Kertesz who exhibits a spirit with enthusiasm that belies her age, that we tend to think of people in their early 70's.I marvel the way she relishes with strangers. She posted more than 7,500
pictures on flickr which pay tribute to the art of photography. She gaves me the opportunity reflecting myself of what i have done and still to be done as life goes on...""
7th February, 2006
~My aim is true~ says:
"I had the opportunity to live in Paris for 10 months several years ago, and Julie's photos are like going back every day. She takes pictures of the most beautiful daily things - people, markets, signs - that make Paris what it is. Thank you, Julie.
J'avais l'occasion de passer dix mois a Paris il y a quelques annees, et les photos de Julie me font penser a Paris tous les jours. Elle fait des photos des plus jolis objets quotidiens - les gens, les marches, les signes - qui representent Paris comme elle est. Je vous remercie mille fois, Julie.
NB - Excusez SVP mon francais HORRIBLE."
29th November, 2005
Jacques C. says:
"Quelle santé Julie, quelle activité ! Tu es une bonne spectatrice du monde, attentive, enthousiaste. Tu regardes tout, tu te souviens de beaucoup de choses, tu partages."
29th July, 2005
"From my little suburban home in America, I have the wonderful opportunity of seeing life in daily France through Julie's eyes. Her photos of every day life and people are so down to earth it's refreshing! Her photos make you feel comfortable. I always feel like I'm going on a walk with her and chatting while we're taking in the daily life of people and places around us. Her images are a gift to me."
27th May, 2005
"Julie, j’aime ton dynamisme.
Ton regard tendre, et ta présence.
Merci Julie pour cette leçon de vie"
2nd May, 2005
"Julie70 celebrates her age as she celebrates life and the living of it. She’s a role-model, though I doubt she realizes it, to people of all ages who desire to lead full and active lives of learning and doing. Just past 70, Julie has more than 1,350 pictures on Flickr, all of which pay tribute to the art of photography, which prompted me to ask her if she were related to the famous Hungarian photographer, Andre Kertesz.
In addition, Julie70 administers the group, People Reading and maintains not one, but two blogs, Il y a de la vie après 70 ans and a journal Histoire d'une stage (1) which addresses her life since age 10. Makes me want to learn French just to read it, though I suspect a very painful experience during the era of the Nazis, then the Communists.
Julie70 exhibits a spirit that belies her age, as we tend to think of people in their 70’s, and I marvel at her enthusiasm, the way in which she relishes meeting strangers and sharing her enthusiasm with them. I will be 67 on 11 May, and when I grow up I want to be just like Julie Kertesz."
30th April, 2005
- Julie Kertesz
- February 2005
- Cluj, Kolozsvar in Roumania
- London, United Kingdom
- I am:
- Female and Single
- Il y a de la vie après 70 ans
- kerteszjulika [at] gmail.com