I am a retired biologist who loves to wander and wonder in the world about me, trying to interest others in the same.
Most of the photos presented here represent an effort to provide a view of the many kinds of common and not so common flora, fauna, and scenic things one might find in the Columbia River Gorge area of Washington and Oregon of the Pacific Northwest.
Names are given if known, but feel free to provide any corrections.
Please remember that all photos are copyrighted © John Davis. All rights are reserved world wide. None of these photographs may be reproduced and/or used publicly in any way without the written permission of John Davis.
If you interested in using any of my photos, please contact me by email.
Please do not include graphics with comments or invites, or they may be deleted.
Anyone who makes favorites of numerous photos and has no visible photos for viewing may be blocked!!
- Bird Watchers 78,669 photos, 1,437 members
- Bird Perfect/Each Photo By Invite Only 10,745 photos, 2,051 members
- Lightroom Showcase 21,245 photos, 1,681 members
- Wildlife of Washington (State) 7,760 photos, 178 members
- Amazing Animals and Animal Faces 6,264 photos, 206 members
- Wildlife Photography 441,931 photos, 13,771 members
- Grasshoppers, Crickets and Katydids of the Western US 1,041 photos, 11 members
- Moth Gallery - P1 C1 - Voting OPEN 31,802 photos, 2,616 members
- Only Ospreys 11,186 photos, 932 members
- Nikon Digital Learning Center 1,091,817 photos, 74,363 members
- Warblers Only 2,250 photos, 157 members
- Photographing Birds 53,868 photos, 1,182 members
- Nik Software Photo Share 147,896 photos, 6,468 members
- Guia de Aves do Brasil 19,873 photos, 773 members
- SoloReflex 63,423 photos, 1,743 members
- Northwest Birders 14,806 photos, 268 members
- Nikon 105mm VR Macro Users Pool 8,660 photos, 574 members
- Audubon magazine 37,213 photos, 718 members
- Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge 7,876 photos, 198 members
- Perching Birds (Passeriforms) 1,310 photos, 40 members
- Birds , Birds Birds 781,446 photos, 29,078 members
- Birds of Oregon 6,663 photos, 279 members
- "Quality Only" Bird Club 11,068 photos, 1,481 members
- Photoshop Support Group 213,092 photos, 32,834 members
- Juncos, Juncos, and more Juncos! 3,261 photos, 1,032 members
- Myriapoda (Centipedes, Millipedes, Etc.) 3,771 photos, 890 members
- Nikon Nature 30,397 photos, 493 members
- Ag Aviation 5,788 photos, 217 members
- Oregon Coast - a Flickr group 32,508 photos, 2,798 members
- TRP - Photoblography! 2,935 photos, 372 members
- Nikon D800 Users Group 179,268 photos, 9,956 members
- OR WA Fall Color 3,627 photos, 356 members
- Naturography 145 photos, 66 members
- Strobist.com 581,625 photos, 116,075 members
- Focus stacks 4,065 photos, 496 members
- Pictures of MYXOMYCETES mushrooms, slime molds. 820 photos, 74 members
- Chrysomelidae - Leaf Beetles 2,820 photos, 233 members
- Michael Frye's Photo Critique Series 4,674 photos, 606 members
- Nikon Digital SLRs 254,781 photos, 4,757 members
- pdx [portland] 153,759 photos, 5,291 members
- The Photographer's Ephemeris 541 photos, 139 members
- The Cloud Appreciation Society 156,290 photos, 13,285 members
- PDX Nightowls 4,628 photos, 448 members
- Portland Photo Geeks 31,549 photos, 933 members
- Graduated Filters 7,663 photos, 837 members
- ND110 20,307 photos, 2,431 members
- Mushrooms & other fungi (Your Fab Fungi Fotos, FFF) 30,883 photos, 1,999 members
- AdoBe Photoshop (CS3, CS4 and CS5) Official ™ 12,473 photos, 1,692 members
- ID Please 8,223 photos, 831 members
- Lichen communities of North America 113 photos, 13 members
David A's Photos says:
"All I can say is a big Thank you very much for your help, assistance and patience with helping me identify moths. It is interesting to see the similarities and slight differences of the moths found on the south shore of Lake Merwin vs those in close by Stevenson, WA. Thank you ever so much."
16th October, 2007
Keith Carlson says:
"John has been most helpful trying to guide this novice thru the early stages of butterfly and moth photography and ID. Thanks."
23rd August, 2007
Tin Pan says:
"John (GORGEous nature) has inspired me to get out with my macro and learn how to use it properly to record the nature in my locality. I am interested in botany, geology and fungi - his photographs are fine examples of a keen eye, knowledge and skill with the camera. Its great that he is able to not only identify the subjects, but also provide informaion about them too. Thanks for the inspiration."
22nd January, 2007
* Hi Tech Bio * says:
"Solo quiero dar las gracias a John (aka GORGEous nature), por compartir su extensa colección de fotografía, la cual es capaz de llevarnos a lugares desconocidos y mostrarnos la biodivarsidad con la cual no tenemos contacto en otras partes del mundo....
I just wanted to say : thanks to John (aka GORGEous nature), for sharing his extensive photographic collection, which is able to unknown places and show us the biodiversity which we do not have in other parts of the world...
KEEP IT UP!!!"
26th November, 2006
Doug Macaulay says:
"Whenever I do a Flickr search for birds, bugs and other wildlife I always seem to end up at this photo stream. This site is exquisite! Anyone else that ends up here must take wander through his remarkable collection of photos as well."
20th November, 2006
"This photographer is the quintessential naturalist who brings to his photography a daunting knowledge of the woods, waters, and air of North America. Since his retirement, his knowledge has increased exponentially. Well worth visiting this site."
23rd February, 2006
- John Davis
- October 2005
- Stevenson, WA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- davisj [at] gorge.net