EMAIL: joni.karanka at googlemail.com
BLOG: And then came the shot
Groups I administer:
I don't remember the first time I took a camera, but it had to be a long, long time ago (I have to find a self portrait shot when I was six to prove this). As my mother says, the only thing that my brothers and I have in common, is that my father taught all of us how to take pictures. I am unable to draw or paint, so it's a lot easier and faster to shoot things. I enjoy myself reporting what I do or where I go, and what I see in the way.
Short bio (I think it's clarifying, as everybody asks):
- Born in Helsinki (Finland) in 1981.
- Moved to Fuengirola (Spain) in 1985 with my parents. My brother and my sister stayed in Finland.
- Started a degree in psychology in Malaga in 1999...
- ... and finished it in 2003.
- Moved to Cardiff (Wales) in autumn of 2003 to do a PhD in vision. I basicly study how people can catch or hit things that fly towards them.
Places I've been to:
create your personalized map of europe
Yes, being twice in St Petersburg is like cheating, I know.
- Liverpool 74,342 photos, 3,495 members
- Australian Street Photography 1,023 photos, 613 members
- 01 Magazine 1,144 photos, 2,317 members
- In Camera 88 photos, 276 members
- Street Reverb Magazine 66 photos, 564 members
- Square Magazine Online 11,216 photos, 575 members
- Third Floor Gallery Cardiff 376 photos, 92 members
- I-95.10 110 photos, 276 members
- The Editions FP&CF present: TELL MUM EVERYTHING IS OK #2 8 photos, 510 members
- CHARITY PRINT AUCTIONS - PHILIPPINES 0 photos, 1,404 members
- MilanoStreet 142 photos, 376 members
- Street photography, hardcore 86,184 photos, 2,438 members
- Street Aesthetic: UnCensored 9 photos, 69 members
- Populated by Vegetation 893 photos, 511 members
- .film.forever. 337,742 photos, 7,207 members
- The DMU Lightbox: 964 photos, 276 members
- Wohnungsbilder aus Deutschland 32 photos, 19 members
- Disponible 62 photos, 58 members
- Figures in a Landscape 2,188 photos, 547 members
- Square in Grenoble 52 photos, 110 members
- rule of third beers 402 photos, 179 members
- I-95.09 69 photos, 206 members
- Tokyo Exhibitions 2,157 photos, 849 members
- Publish and be Damned! - TEARSHEETS 265 photos, 467 members
- Your photo isn't really that great 750 photos, 1,173 members
- Dr Karanka's print stravaganza 331 photos, 260 members
- FlickrCentral 6,990,530 photos, 204,096 members
- Mamiya 6 & 7 29,755 photos, 1,569 members
- Lunasa Photos 10 photos, 20 members
- Flickr members against free photos 391 photos, 199 members
- Handsome boy modeling skool. 2,135 photos, 247 members
- La Pura Vida presents 'Can't Pay the Rent' 26 photos, 69 members
- The F Blog 1,540 photos, 35 members
- Blood of the Young Zine 25,610 photos, 4,431 members
- 告別 映像 - Farewell Photography 222 photos, 327 members
- Don't Smile, Keep Walking 238 photos, 103 members
- Stalker 4,873 photos, 806 members
- Holy Smoke 108 photos, 117 members
- Street Silver 152 photos, 157 members
- horses are evil lets steal their souls 9 photos, 6 members
- nofound - new photographers search! 14,782 photos, 5,365 members
- In ictu oculi 1,202 photos, 498 members
- ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ 229,498 photos, 7,199 members
- la familia abrazada 2,424 photos, 1,105 members
- triangletriangle.com secret submission society 116,618 photos, 5,583 members
- Tuples 13 photos, 4 members
- Klugscheiss 42 photos, 24 members
- Rencontres d'Arles [official] 2,189 photos, 735 members
- Mare Nostrum Photographie de Calle 188 photos, 73 members
- Streetpulse 134 photos, 42 members
Oliwer Tłist says:
"Strange ambitious personality, a photographer with his own vision and style. Big up Doc...."
30th May, 2009
Maciej Dakowicz says:
"Joni is... Joni. It is great to know him. and his photos are really good and different. a real individualist."
25th November, 2008
"joni is my daily fix, my muse, my guide.
he loves penguins and nine inch nails, which isn't a bad combination after all."
31st May, 2008
John Goldsmith says:
"After seeing Joni' recent exploration with colour film, I'm wishing that this thought enters his mind whenever he leaves the house:
"Colour or black and white? Colour or black and white? Colour or black and white? Both!
He'll probably respond with a ....Pfff, but the truth is that he is equally smart with both. Joni is the real deal. Keep it up man!"
4th April, 2008
28th March, 2008
pH [浪人] says:
every morning wake up
take a shower and then go to your small personal shrine
sing "I´m a weirdo, I´m a weirdo" while hitting your chest for fifteen minutes.
I´m sure that after that you can go out and shoot people
26th December, 2007
"Mr Karanka has an exceptional eye for a good image. I am always in awe of the prints he makes. He looks for the alternative and finds the beautiful. Now after suffering for his art (getting pounced on in Cardiff) he must almost be a true professional."
25th August, 2007
"Joni is a major talent, he so reminds me of the great Robert Doisneau, in his depiction of Cardiff streetlife, with a warmth, humanity and often edgy humour. An insane gift for composition and framing capturing the poetry of everyday life in one stunning black and white after another.
His whole stream is a sheer delight."
9th August, 2007
"This testimonial writing business is a load of crap. Except for the few occasions when you really have something to say about someone. Of course that doesn't mean you actually deserve any saying at all, but here goes my view of Joni.
If you go to the first page of his photostream you can see that this guy wasn't born like he is today. He even shot in colour with a digicam! But even though he's been shooting since forever, he's finally found his creative niche going back to basics. And you can see the process happening right before your eyes! I can only wish something like that would ever happen to me. Maybe it's just a matter of doing what he did and does: to take pictures, and pictures and more pictures. Quantity doesn't mean quality but practise really makes perfect: Joni is the living proof."
24th July, 2007
"I hate to write testimonials, but Joni clearly deserves one. His B&W, grainy, superb film's scans can get you into the essence of Cardiff's night life in seconds. Being - apparently - not afraid to bother the subjects of his photos, Joni peers inside the shadows of human behavior without prejudice.
Oh, hey, you owe me a pint for this one ;-)"
23rd July, 2007
"Joni captures street life, candids, and the mood wonderfully. I continue to return to this stream to see what new street life he has discovered! On top of everything else he shoots old school! FILM! His shots are warm and capture the mood so well! Keep going Mr. Karanka! And, keep posting!"
24th May, 2007
- JT Karanka
- September 2005
- Cardiff, Wales
- I am:
- Scientist / Analist / Brain