I am a landscape, underwater and nature photographer residing in Santa Cruz, California, USA. My journey in photography began with simple snapshots of nature using an old and simple Canon SLR with a couple lens. In the year 2000, I lost that camera. By year's end, I had invested in some higher end Nikon SLR gear and an underwater housing with strobes in order to document the beauty I was seeing while SCUBA diving the kelp forests of California.
In 2008, my inspiration moved to landscape photography, specifically seascapes near my home. The switch from using strobes and fast shutter speeds while diving to tripods, filters, and long shutter speeds was new and exciting and allowed for my creativity to flourish.
In 2010, I partnered up with fellow Santa Cruz landscape photographer, Joshua Cripps to form Sea to Summit Workshops. We offer coastal landscape workshops to the Big Sur and Santa Cruz area as well as Yosemite, Death Valley, and the eastern Sierra Nevada mountains. We welcome you to join us on one of our fun and informative outings!
Nikon D800 & D800E
Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8
Nikkor 16-35mm f4
Nikkor 35-70mm f2.8
Nikkor 70-200mm f4 VR
Nikkor 105mm f2.8 VR
Nikkor 24mm f1.4
Nikkor 50mm f1.4
Tokina 10-17mm fisheye
Sigma 15mm fisheye
Sigma 8mm fisheye
Aquatica Housing for D800 & D7000
Megadome, 8" dome, 4" dome, Flat Port
Ultralight Control Systems arms and clamps
Ikelite DS160 and DS51 strobes and sync cords
Markins M20 ballhead
Really Right Stuff clamps and plates
Induro CT213 carbon fiber tripod
Lee SW150 Filter Holder for Nikkor 14-24mm
Lee Foundation Holder and 77mm wide angle adapter
Lee .9, .6, and .3 Soft Graduated Neutral Density (GND) Filters
Lee Big Stopper 10-stop ND
Lee .9 Hard GND
Singh-Ray Daryl Benson 3-stop Reverse GND
Singh-Ray Gold-N-Blue Polarizer thin mount
Singh-Ray Vari-ND variable Neutral Density Filter standard mount
B+W ND110 10-stop screw-in Filter standard mount
B+W Kaesemann Polarizer standard mount
- Arches National Park 8,964 photos, 1,370 members
- Best of Star Trails 275 photos, 409 members
- *Landscapes of the West* 1,437 photos, 545 members
- NIKON D800E Group 23,234 photos, 1,272 members
- Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 AF-S 39,092 photos, 3,852 members
- Nikon D800 Users Group 213,718 photos, 10,803 members
- Eastern Sierra Fall Color 2,002 photos, 226 members
- Death Valley National Park 13,681 photos, 1,198 members
- Death Valley 16,126 photos, 2,291 members
- The Lee 10 Stop 'Big Stopper' & B&W 110 14,768 photos, 2,153 members
- LEE Filters 31,259 photos, 2,862 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 508,764 photos, 24,521 members
- The Pantheon of Cityscape 1,471 photos, 192 members
- San Mateo County Group 11,647 photos, 592 members
- Sea to Summit Workshops 160 photos, 57 members
- *GreatPixGallery 50 Faves+ 19,165 photos, 1,963 members
- ND110 21,079 photos, 2,470 members
- SICK NASTY! (D Breezy Approved) 0 photos, 3 members
- KNP 5,908 photos, 657 members
- Oregon Coast - a Flickr group 33,378 photos, 2,823 members
- The Serious Nature Photographer (50+ Favorites, P1:A2) - Sweeper 1,126 photos, 268 members
- yosemite 34,766 photos, 5,347 members
- Proudly hanging in 100-149 galleries 4 photos, 4 members
- Landscape 822,365 photos, 77,151 members
- The Pantheon of Landscape 5,751 photos, 801 members
- Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR Micro Lens 6,640 photos, 3,168 members
- 1.000+ Faves 201 photos, 139 members
- Singh Ray Filters 3,042 photos, 407 members
- Singh-Ray Gold 'n' Blue Polariser 493 photos, 204 members
- Images with Filters 11,119 photos, 1,014 members
- Piling Love 783 photos, 98 members
- Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR & VRII 86,632 photos, 6,500 members
- California Photographer - Best Photos from California 20,601 photos, 1,094 members
- The Pantheon of Treasures ( 200+ Faves ) Admin Invite only 789 photos, 124 members
- Nature and Landscapes 345,901 photos, 11,532 members
- San Francisco 230,231 photos, 13,908 members
- San Francisco Bay Bridges 13,142 photos, 1,904 members
- Lake Tahoe 10,713 photos, 1,692 members
- Nikon D300 Users 535,194 photos, 17,066 members
- Landscape Photographs Premium (Admin Invitation only) 1,097 photos, 407 members
- 900+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 70 photos, 175 members
- DivePhotoGuide Underwater Photography 27,694 photos, 927 members
- Jellyfish!! 11,158 photos, 3,942 members
- 800+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 91 photos, 195 members
- *ABW* Gallery ~ by invitation only 1,084 photos, 1,406 members
- EarthShots.org Entries 11,883 photos, 781 members
- 700+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 84 photos, 246 members
- 600+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 189 photos, 288 members
- Chasing Shadows 37,750 photos, 1,600 members
- Phoca vitulina: Harbor or Common Seal 5,766 photos, 511 members
"Jim is a true master of photography. His work is inspiring in every meaning.
Thank you for sharing!"
1st December, 2010
"I'll start by saying that Jim is the REAL DEAL! Two years ago I was browsing through Flickr and came across his stream. I had to pick-up my jaw from the floor as I looked through his work. I have followed and studied his photography and have learned lots. He is the 1st person I saw add his EXIF info on every shot. This allows others to study and learn from it.
Not only is he a recognized published photographer he is also a great guy. One would think that a guy with this much talent would not share it. On numerous occasions Jim has gone out of his way to provide answers to my numerous questions. Months ago I had the opportunity to be schooled by him on a workshop and learns tons. Jim looking forward to learning and being inspired by your work. Jave"
20th August, 2010
"Your pictures really inspiring....
love them all & thanks for sharing these beautiful view :)"
27th April, 2010
"Jim is such a wonderful and creative photographer. I go through his stream almost daily to see his beautiful take on nature - from seascapes to mountains - each one more breath taking than the previous. A true inspiration to my own photography. Keep these beautiful and original shots coming!"
30th March, 2010
kendra just is says:
"It doesn't get any better or any more real than Jim Patterson's work here. This photostream is a true inspiration.
Not only is Jim an amazing photographer, but he incredibly generous with his art (and $$$). Thanks for the Pro account!"
4th December, 2009
"Jim or Mike whichever he prefers is the flickrite I most look forward to seeing new posts from. Whether he takes you on an undersea odyssey or pounds you off the rocks with light and composition he never fails to impress and leave you wanting more. How he doesn't make his living from his art is beyond me because his photos are each and everyone of them touched with genius."
12th November, 2009
Grizzly D says:
"I couldn't take my hand off the "Add to Favorites" link. I realized that this whole photo stream is an "Add to Favorites" link. You're perfect with colors."
18th September, 2009
"Jim is a man, there not only takes fantastic photos, rather he paints with a cam! The motives are always great, the lighting and colors are breathtaking, the perspective is every one perfect and very interesting.
Thank you for share your excellent work Jim!"
27th June, 2009
"I just added him and that not without reason his work is sooo inspiring I wanna go out right now and try what he does-take seascape pictures with a luminous/dark atmosphere-love all his work but especially his long exposure seascape pictures-those pictures are real masterpieces!!
on the weekend when I get my new ND filter I will drive from santa cruz to half moon bay and try some things out-cannot wait longer:)"
4th May, 2009
"Just had to write this, because youre such a great inspiration to me, Jim... your work is so special and beautiful, and such expertise... and i do really apreciate the fact that you share the technical details behind your images... all the best to you, my virtual friend!
Greetings from Lisbon..."
1st April, 2009
~ Aaron Reed ~ says:
"Jim's seascapes and underwater photography are breathtaking and beautiful. Exposure control and water movement are top notch. He's a nice guy with a great sense of humor as well, especially after midnight when only the best photogs are up on flickr."
21st February, 2009
"Viewing Jim's work in town and at the open studios over the past couple years has really been a reminder to me of how beautiful our Bay and coast is and has inspired me to pursue my passion for the capturing of life in digital form! Keep up the great work and thanks so much for sharing. Much love."
19th February, 2009
- Jim Patterson
- July 2006
- Campbell, CA
- Santa Cruz, CA, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Sales Manager
- Jim Patterson Photography