I am a landscape, underwater and nature photographer residing in Santa Cruz, California, USA. My journey in photography began with simple snapshots of nature using an old and simple Canon SLR with a couple lens. In the year 2000, I lost that camera. By year's end, I had invested in some higher end Nikon SLR gear and an underwater housing with strobes in order to document the beauty I was seeing while SCUBA diving the kelp forests of California.
In 2008, my inspiration moved to landscape photography, specifically seascapes near my home. The switch from using strobes and fast shutter speeds while diving to tripods, filters, and long shutter speeds was new and exciting and allowed for my creativity to flourish.
In 2010, I partnered up with fellow Santa Cruz landscape photographer, Joshua Cripps to form Sea to Summit Workshops. We offer coastal landscape workshops to the Big Sur and Santa Cruz area as well as Yosemite, Death Valley, and the eastern Sierra Nevada mountains. We welcome you to join us on one of our fun and informative outings!
Nikon D800 & D800E
Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8
Nikkor 16-35mm f4
Nikkor 12-24mm f4
Nikkor 35-70mm f2.8
Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR I
Nikkor 70-200mm f4 VR
Nikkor 105mm f2.8 VR
Nikkor 24mm f1.4
Nikkor 50mm f1.4
Tokina 10-17mm fisheye
Sigma 15mm fisheye
Ikelite Housing for D800 & D7000
Precision 5" Dome, Flat Port
Ultralight Control Systems arms and clamps
Ikelite DS160 and DS51 strobes and sync cords
Markins M20 ballhead
Really Right Stuff clamps and plates
Induro CT213 carbon fiber tripod
Lee SW150 Filter Holder for Nikkor 14-24mm
Lee Foundation Holder and 77mm wide angle adapter
Lee .9, .6, and .3 Soft Graduated Neutral Density (GND) Filters
Lee Big Stopper 10-stop ND
Lee .9 Hard GND
Singh-Ray Daryl Benson 3-stop Reverse GND
Singh-Ray Gold-N-Blue Polarizer thin mount
Singh-Ray Vari-ND variable Neutral Density Filter standard mount
B+W ND110 10-stop screw-in Filter standard mount
B+W Kaesemann Polarizer standard mount
- Arches National Park 8,109 photos, 1,270 members
- Best of Star Trails 199 photos, 336 members
- *Landscapes of the West* 1,452 photos, 325 members
- NIKON D800E Group 12,165 photos, 901 members
- Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 AF-S 31,230 photos, 3,332 members
- Nikon D800 Users Group 111,194 photos, 8,125 members
- Eastern Sierra Fall Color 1,806 photos, 210 members
- Death Valley National Park 12,701 photos, 1,134 members
- Death Valley 15,025 photos, 2,169 members
- The Lee 10 Stop 'Big Stopper' & B&W 110 10,866 photos, 1,761 members
- LEE Filters 23,092 photos, 2,271 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 395,229 photos, 21,870 members
- The Pantheon of Cityscape 964 photos, 148 members
- San Mateo County Group 10,986 photos, 580 members
- Sea to Summit Workshops 149 photos, 55 members
- *GreatPixGallery 50 Faves+ 14,994 photos, 1,792 members
- ND110 18,721 photos, 2,323 members
- SICK NASTY! (D Breezy Approved) 0 photos, 3 members
- KNP 6,111 photos, 665 members
- Oregon Coast - a Flickr group 31,216 photos, 2,744 members
- The Serious Nature Photographer (50+ Favorites, P1:A2) - Sweeper 1,105 photos, 270 members
- yosemite 32,411 photos, 5,070 members
- Proudly hanging in 100-149 galleries 4 photos, 4 members
- Landscape 819,339 photos, 64,471 members
- The Pantheon of Landscape 4,169 photos, 540 members
- Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR Micro Lens 6,685 photos, 2,967 members
- 1.000+ Faves 203 photos, 142 members
- Singh Ray Filters 2,599 photos, 359 members
- Singh-Ray Gold 'n' Blue Polariser 455 photos, 191 members
- Images with Filters 10,474 photos, 876 members
- Piling Love 819 photos, 95 members
- Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR & VRII 75,019 photos, 6,058 members
- California Photographer 15,634 photos, 908 members
- The Pantheon of Treasures ( 200+ Faves ) Admin Invite only 814 photos, 126 members
- Nature and Landscapes 296,552 photos, 10,634 members
- San Francisco 213,436 photos, 13,246 members
- San Francisco Bay Bridges 11,738 photos, 1,811 members
- Lake Tahoe 10,022 photos, 1,588 members
- Nikon D300 Users 522,087 photos, 16,932 members
- Landscape Photographs Premium (Admin Invitation only) 1,106 photos, 413 members
- 900+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 39 photos, 164 members
- DivePhotoGuide Underwater Photography 23,945 photos, 857 members
- Jellyfish!! 10,611 photos, 3,773 members
- 800+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 77 photos, 182 members
- *ABW* Gallery ~ by invitation only 1,090 photos, 1,411 members
- EarthShots.org Entries 9,641 photos, 748 members
- 700+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 62 photos, 220 members
- 600+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 167 photos, 253 members
- Chasing Shadows (New Rules - See Below) 36,531 photos, 1,443 members
- Phoca vitulina: Harbor or Common Seal 4,886 photos, 511 members
"Jim is a true master of photography. His work is inspiring in every meaning.
Thank you for sharing!"
1st December, 2010
"I'll start by saying that Jim is the REAL DEAL! Two years ago I was browsing through Flickr and came across his stream. I had to pick-up my jaw from the floor as I looked through his work. I have followed and studied his photography and have learned lots. He is the 1st person I saw add his EXIF info on every shot. This allows others to study and learn from it.
Not only is he a recognized published photographer he is also a great guy. One would think that a guy with this much talent would not share it. On numerous occasions Jim has gone out of his way to provide answers to my numerous questions. Months ago I had the opportunity to be schooled by him on a workshop and learns tons. Jim looking forward to learning and being inspired by your work. Jave"
20th August, 2010
"Your pictures really inspiring....
love them all & thanks for sharing these beautiful view :)"
27th April, 2010
Raymond Larose says:
"Jim is such a wonderful and creative photographer. I go through his stream almost daily to see his beautiful take on nature - from seascapes to mountains - each one more breath taking than the previous. A true inspiration to my own photography. Keep these beautiful and original shots coming!"
30th March, 2010
kendra just is says:
"It doesn't get any better or any more real than Jim Patterson's work here. This photostream is a true inspiration.
Not only is Jim an amazing photographer, but he incredibly generous with his art (and $$$). Thanks for the Pro account!"
4th December, 2009
"Jim or Mike whichever he prefers is the flickrite I most look forward to seeing new posts from. Whether he takes you on an undersea odyssey or pounds you off the rocks with light and composition he never fails to impress and leave you wanting more. How he doesn't make his living from his art is beyond me because his photos are each and everyone of them touched with genius."
12th November, 2009
Grizzly D says:
"I couldn't take my hand off the "Add to Favorites" link. I realized that this whole photo stream is an "Add to Favorites" link. You're perfect with colors."
18th September, 2009
"Jim is a man, there not only takes fantastic photos, rather he paints with a cam! The motives are always great, the lighting and colors are breathtaking, the perspective is every one perfect and very interesting.
Thank you for share your excellent work Jim!"
27th June, 2009
"I just added him and that not without reason his work is sooo inspiring I wanna go out right now and try what he does-take seascape pictures with a luminous/dark atmosphere-love all his work but especially his long exposure seascape pictures-those pictures are real masterpieces!!
on the weekend when I get my new ND filter I will drive from santa cruz to half moon bay and try some things out-cannot wait longer:)"
4th May, 2009
"Just had to write this, because youre such a great inspiration to me, Jim... your work is so special and beautiful, and such expertise... and i do really apreciate the fact that you share the technical details behind your images... all the best to you, my virtual friend!
Greetings from Lisbon..."
1st April, 2009
~ Aaron Reed ~ says:
"Jim's seascapes and underwater photography are breathtaking and beautiful. Exposure control and water movement are top notch. He's a nice guy with a great sense of humor as well, especially after midnight when only the best photogs are up on flickr."
21st February, 2009
"Viewing Jim's work in town and at the open studios over the past couple years has really been a reminder to me of how beautiful our Bay and coast is and has inspired me to pursue my passion for the capturing of life in digital form! Keep up the great work and thanks so much for sharing. Much love."
19th February, 2009
- Jim Patterson
- July 2006
- Campbell, CA
- Santa Cruz, CA, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Sales Manager
- Jim Patterson Photography