Please do not ask me to shoot commercial work unpaid. Also, don't ask to use my photos in your commercial venture for free.
My site: mmdc.net/
My Blog: mmdc.net/blog/
Many of my photos are licensed Creative Commons, non-commercial, attribution, no derivatives. That means that you can use them freely for your non-commercial stuff , like most blogs, as long as you credit me and don't change the image in any way, including cropping, colorizing, using in a montage, stuff like that. If you want to use it in a book, magazine, advertisement, or something of a commercial nature, the CC license does not allow you to use it for free. For commercial uses, it's just the same as "All Rights Reserved." That means you need to talk to me about obtaining a license.
If you make unauthorized commercial use of my copyrighted images, you hereby agree to a licensing fee of $20,000 per image, per use.
- VéLO_NUTTS 18,683 photos, 837 members
- Canon Compact Cameras 6,055 photos, 312 members
- Kodak Aero-Ektar 2,305 photos, 503 members
- The Pajama Factory 1 photo, 3 members
- Prime Shots 3,400 photos, 167 members
- Yongnuo YN-460 II, YN-465, YN-468, YN-560, RF-602, CTR-301P 16,997 photos, 2,913 members
- Temps Perdu - The look and feel of memories 1,148 photos, 178 members
- Tokyo Exhibitions 2,078 photos, 851 members
- Your photo isn't really that great 755 photos, 1,162 members
- Building Visual Literacy 436 photos, 136 members
- Dr Karanka's print stravaganza 331 photos, 260 members
- Darkroom Portraits 502 photos, 462 members
- Canon Powershot G10 41,630 photos, 2,347 members
- canon G10 club 8,489 photos, 663 members
- LIFE MAGAZINE PHOTOGRAPHERS 11,609 photos, 595 members
- AreBureBoke 7,803 photos, 256 members
- Children of Uber 89 photos, 30 members
- Black and White 5,436,629 photos, 266,040 members
- 1000 B&W 790 photos, 1,323 members
- Dazed and Confused - New Photographer Search 585,177 photos, 25,867 members
- The Portrait Group 2,193,438 photos, 134,521 members
- THE DECISIVE MOMENT!!!!!! 84 photos, 20 members
- Canon EF 91 photos, 130 members
- 浮世絵 - The Floating World 698 photos, 390 members
- Vegetarian Japan 668 photos, 146 members
- Canon EOS 5D Series 401,154 photos, 17,711 members
- ♠ Teddy •Bears! ♠ 3,381 photos, 907 members
- TAB Talks 7 photos, 22 members
- Talks on Photography 362 photos, 57 members
- Pentax 645,645N,645NⅡ and 645D 13,959 photos, 993 members
- Heso Magazine Reader's Group 1,124 photos, 207 members
- Global Photojournalism 377,975 photos, 22,344 members
- Leica M8 Magenta Madness 106 photos, 32 members
- The Pause 77 photos, 87 members
- Street Noir 593 photos, 1,255 members
- *Bessa Rangefinders* 45,002 photos, 1,811 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,831 photos, 55,982 members
- Fray Quarterly: Issue 3: Sex & Death 131 photos, 626 members
- Licensing Awareness Working (LAW) Group 0 photos, 1,320 members
- Handheld Large Format Camera 1,248 photos, 345 members
- 禅 ・ Zen feeling 1,706 photos, 158 members
- 6x7 B&W 10,039 photos, 1,037 members
- GPF Click Art Award 54 photos, 87 members
- Jim O'Connell 59 photos, 1 member
- Flashbulbs 2,947 photos, 290 members
- Bladerunner 7,661 photos, 986 members
- Photo Commons 330 photos, 33 members
- 80's photos of you 112 photos, 76 members
- Gokurousama 296 photos, 25 members
- Tokyo Street Photography 42,117 photos, 1,043 members
"Whether you like it or not, Jim O'Connell's photograph is always important for us. Yasukuni? oh yes, Kabuki-cho? of course.
He looks straight at what the Japanese doesn't want to see. When I see his photograph, I am deeply ashamed. And I ask myself, "Why didn't we take it???".
He is a most important gaijin photographer in Tokyo."
19th August, 2009
"wonderful work -so glad i found you"
6th August, 2009
"There is no better photographer alive than Jim O'Connell.
Compared to him, I am a hack."
25th December, 2008
"There is my photography before Jim O'Connel, and there is my photography after Jim O'Connel.
5th March, 2008
arneee (苹果) says:
"This guy takes the camera out to the streets where I would keep it away. To be honest, he has the guts to concentrate on what he is doing. Also very lovely that he shoots blackandwhite. Five stars rating."
13th February, 2008
The Foamy Green says:
"Jim is the real deal. Restless without a camera (or at least a strong drink) in his hand. Says only what is necessary. Shoots only what is essential. Black and white isn't just his métier, it's the air he breathes."
2nd January, 2008
Pete Barr-Watson says:
"Inspirational fairy dust, simple as that. Looking through western eyes almost every photo from Japan has interest because things are just so different, but Jim's work is different again and opens up a fabulous story about life in Tokyo. These photo's have taught me to look with different eyes through my own lens. Love it!"
31st October, 2007
"Flickr.com is a cornucopia of amazing photographs but Jim O'Connell's work is outstanding. His photos inspire me and let me see my hometown (Tokyo) in a different way."
16th September, 2007
"Jim O'connell is the Shane McGowan of photograpy..."
12th July, 2007
"Damn Zebrio beat me to it.....
One day they'll say of us, that we were the guys that shot with Jim O'Connell.
But seriously,Jim is a cantankerous,arrogant,wheat intolerant old perverted bastard......who takes GREAT photos and who's dedication and commitment is an inspiration.I love him and his work.
But for God sake don't tell him I said that."
29th June, 2007
"Jim's work inspires me. Not only that, this guy knows how to write."
22nd May, 2007
"He don't look half bad for 100"
2nd January, 2007
Adam Schuetze says:
"I'll keep this short and sweet. Jim is a giant of street photography. Yep, that pretty much sums it up. A giant."
21st December, 2006
Morioka, Japan says:
"I truly love the freedom in Jim's Photography."
2nd December, 2006
"Incredible Eyes to punch a hole in our reality.
Someday I wish I could shoot like Jim, and Burst myself into photography as he does. Bravo!"
28th October, 2006
Sylvia Garassino says:
"You see, there's this thing you have to know about Jim.
But I don't know it yet*, so don't ask me.
11th October, 2006
"Jim's work belongs in VII and Magnum for sure. His eye for black and white photography is that of a true artist. The scenes you capture make you feel that you are part of the environment. When I started photographing my passion was in documentary photography and later I transitioned into glamour. Now, I miss this style very much.
26th September, 2006
Eddie . . says:
"Like his photos."
14th September, 2006
"Jim's photostream rocks so hard it ought to be banned by the Inquisition."
15th June, 2006
"jim is truly an inspiration to me... his mastery of light and knowing exactly when to press that button... capturing all the life and bustle and energy of tokyo, in black and white and in depth!!
his tips and tricks for wicked pics in the darkroom... stand processing extraordinaire!
and being a fond fan of the nikkormat :D
one day i'll get to see japan, until then im more than happy to see it through jim's eyes!"
1st June, 2006
"Jim's photos -- be they of street scenes or of people, or of details of small things too easily-missed -- are always full of depth and emotional warmth. Having witnessed first-hand his passion for photography and his raw instinctive gift for capturing the spirit of the moment, he is one of the very few people whose intelligence and sensitivity I truly admire. He may be modest about his skills when asked, but I hope one day he'll realise he's not going to hide it very well :) (And thanks for those darkroom lessons in your kitchen mate!)"
20th April, 2005
- Jim O'Connell
- April 2005
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Magnesium Photos