I am an enthusiast biologist living in London, UK and now working for the cultivated plants conservation charity Plant Heritage.
I worked as a volunteer in the National Botanical Garden of Belgium. My main interests are botany, horticulture and entomology but I'm passionate about biology in general.
I'm especially keen on IDing everything from flora to fauna.
Check my blog here ;) : www.naturanaute.com/
My master's thesis topic was a preliminary phylogeny of an African genus of angraecoid orchids called Tridactyle.
Want to see what it looks like? Here is Tridactyle bicaudata, gorgeous photo taken by afriorchids :
I also love gardening, tropical plants and green design like Patrick Blanc's green walls.
Here is my try!
- Surrey Wildlife Trust: Wild Snaps 1,618 photos, 78 members
- UK Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars 22,341 photos, 923 members
- Orchid n Orchids 10,359 photos, 409 members
- Zingiberales 749 photos, 75 members
- Angraecoid Orchids, mainly Angraecum and Aerangis 1,796 photos, 92 members
- Photos of National Botanic Garden of Belgium 395 photos, 16 members
- Jamiroquai European Tour 2011 1,273 photos, 179 members
- Dendrobium Species 3,272 photos, 311 members
- Orchid Species 14,551 photos, 369 members
- Pollen Swapping 1,917 photos, 252 members
- Scanning Electron Microscopy / SEM 456 photos, 221 members
- Systematic Botany (not for "pretty flower images") 820 photos, 167 members
- Women of Star Wars 2,008 photos, 498 members
- Black Plants 439 photos, 123 members
- Liliaceae and its relatives 1,430 photos, 124 members
- Boraginaceae 839 photos, 77 members
- Flora y fauna de Canarias. 4,971 photos, 167 members
- Pea Family / Fabaceae 2,935 photos, 175 members
- Variegated plants 1,721 photos, 189 members
- Euphorbia 2,417 photos, 290 members
- Echinopsis 968 photos, 218 members
- Primulaceae 628 photos, 80 members
- Amaryllidaceae 1,394 photos, 152 members
- Ferns 6,035 photos, 744 members
- just ferns... 6,346 photos, 1,701 members
- Apocynaceae 3,794 photos, 239 members
- Myrsinaceae 45 photos, 13 members
- Cyperaceae 580 photos, 55 members
- Commelinaceae 272 photos, 53 members
- Iridaceae 1,323 photos, 144 members
- Scrophulariaceae Phrymaceae 1,117 photos, 131 members
- Mimulus 1,005 photos, 81 members
- Aroids 2,017 photos, 191 members
- STAR WARS In Concert 554 photos, 21 members
- Slipper Orchid 3,348 photos, 289 members
- Orchids 108,792 photos, 8,961 members
- Paphiopedilum and Identification 780 photos, 100 members
- The World of Clivias 629 photos, 107 members
- Bromeliads 6,949 photos, 602 members
- Passiflora 3,650 photos, 721 members
- Nepenthes 1,259 photos, 179 members
- Titan Arum 667 photos, 114 members
- Medicinal, Aromatic and Wild (or rare) Edible Plants 20,847 photos, 1,839 members
- Singapore Botanic Gardens 3,022 photos, 259 members
- Unidentified flowers and plants 6,570 photos, 1,109 members
- What flower is this? 7,405 photos, 1,052 members
- Jungles and Forests of the World 6,300 photos, 539 members
- Impatiens 558 photos, 102 members
- Begonia (3 per Day) 1,339 photos, 316 members
- ASTERACEAE 11,826 photos, 596 members
"I’m a nature photographer, traveling around the world. One of my goals is to document the flora and fauna that I find during my explorations. However, my photos are useless without accurate identifications.
For several years now Sophie LeGuil has regularly and consistently been playing an extremely important role in the time-consuming process of describing and labeling my photos. She has made it possible for me to expand my contribution to the knowledge of plants of Planet Earth in meaningful ways. She has a broad knowledge not only of the plants in general but also of the networks, resources, and references available and how to apply them. She has numerous contacts who are experts in specific families. She is a patient teacher who can explain details in a vocabulary that we amateurs can understand. I’ve learned from her about the details that help in the ID process. She is a careful, thoughtful detective when challenged with a new plant; I trust her judgment. She doesn’t rush to a decision just to show that she knows the answer.
Thanks to her, a number of my photos can be found in important online reference websites like ARKive and Missouri Botanical Gardens. She has been an inspiration and a motivator for me.
Now if only I could keep up with recording the details that she sends me……
Sincerely, Shirley Sekarajasingham/Hesperia 2007"
21st March, 2012
- September 2006
- Thionville, France
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- Threatened Plants Project Coordinator - Plant Heritage