October 5, 2010 --
Thanks for taking a look at my profile page here on flickr. I have been on flickr since 2005 but only really got into photography with the purchase of my first DSLR in late 2008. In 2009 I did a photo a day project, with a great group of people, here on flickr. In 2010 I had intended to do a couple more photography projects but I sort of let them slide without the discipline of a photo a day project to keep me going.
For me I really enjoy the aesthetics and beauty that can be captured in photography and the challenge of achieving the image you see in your head in the final frame, straight out of the camera or with the help of post processing tools like photoshop. I am no purist and almost all of my photographs have at least some level post production and I am ok with that.
I have taken several long breaks in the year 2010 from flickr. Trying to find something in my photography to say. But, it turns out, that it is hard to say something or even come up with something to say if you leave the camera in the bag.
So I have decided to give the photo a day project another go. This time it isn't a photo a day for a year, it is just a photo a day until it isn't.
I am taking a cue from a very cool songwriter over on youtube, Jonathan Mann. He is writing a song a day because, and I am paraphrasing watch the video at the link for the actual words, he has seen a certain percentage of his songs are great and a certain percentage suck. He has come to the conclusion that doing the work and practicing his craft every day, regardless of the outcome, produces more work that is great over time than trying to produce only great stuff. You know I think I can relate to that and I hope to do so with my photography.
All that said I am not now, nor do I have any intentions or aspirations to be, a professional photographer. I enjoy the hobby and want to do it more and learn to do it better. I am not allergic to money and I don't mind an occasional gig if someone finds my work worth hiring or if I sell a few shots through Getty and the like but that isn't my motivation. That said I the license set on my photos one of two ways: Many of my photos are © All Rights Revered. These are typically photos that have been licensed by Getty or are of people and I would like to more tightly control the distribution.
I have licensed a lot of other photos under the creative commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States license. Essentially this means if you want to use them go ahead (make sure the photo you want to use indicates a creative commons license). You do need to give me credit when you use it in a way that is not difficult for a viewer of your publication to find. Additionally please comment on the photo here at flickr to let me know.
(Note: Much of this content was uploaded under a All Rights Reserved license and later changed. There are watermarks on this content now. If you want or need a non-watermarked version of the image please let me know and I will see what I can do. The license indicator on Flickr, not the watermark, is the true license status.)
One last thing. In 2009 and early 2010 I was addicted to flickr. And, yes, I realize that it is probably not possible to be actually addicted to flickr -- but I certainly had my priorities out of whack where flickr was concerned. It is so easy to become 'addicted' to flickr and be so involved in the community that you spend way more time on here than you spend making photographs or doing work, aside from photography, that you need to do. This time around I am really going to try to balance this.
The community here at flickr is amazing and I don't want to remove myself from that part of the experience but I simply can not spend the time on flickr that I was spending. If you are among my contacts who actively comment on my photographs, please know I so very much appreciate you and your comments. Also know I wish there were an extra two to four hours a day that I could devote completely to flickr, but there isn't. That said I intend to only comment on photographs that move me, intrigue me or just to check in from time to time with people. I am not going to commit to commenting every photo from every one of my contacts every day going forward. I certainly don't expect my contacts to comment on all of my photographs either. I hope that those of you who know me, from before and new friends I meet along the way, will understand where I am coming from.
Catch me on Facebook:
Or on Twitter:
Or Visit my photography website:
Or Visit my blog:
Photos of jeff_golden (4)
- Flickr 10-10-10 3,975 photos, 1,596 members
- 101010 - Flickr Project 5,332 photos, 1,795 members
- October 10, 2010 1,824 photos, 2,542 members
- VisionDriven 1,509 photos, 418 members
- AN IMAGE SAYS MORE THAN A THOUSAND WORDS! 728 photos, 81 members
- Canon EF 100 f/2.8L IS Macro 6,445 photos, 446 members
- Strobist Sundays 1,906 photos, 777 members
- Within a Click 3,445 photos, 162 members
- 23 on the 23rd 255 photos, 53 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 168,072 photos, 5,140 members
- 165 71 photos, 5 members
- Magnificent Seven 2010 9,119 photos, 114 members
- You can't take pictures here! 13,277 photos, 2,320 members
- This Day In History 2010 20 photos, 12 members
- GR8! 339 photos, 15 members
- For The Love of Bokeh 4,387 photos, 415 members
- 50 for 50 (50mm for 50 days) - CHALLENGE HAS ENDED 469 photos, 40 members
- C'est dans la boîte! 38,032 photos, 817 members
- blue + rust 12,963 photos, 1,352 members
- Black and White 5,460,615 photos, 266,925 members
- MACRO MONDAYS 49,270 photos, 4,544 members
- Deanna Rose Farmstead 92 photos, 21 members
- AreKev's `Not Another Flickr Group 10,646 photos, 511 members
- AreKev's `Photo Book 12,573 photos, 849 members
- The Secret Life of Toys 320,456 photos, 20,443 members
- LightSource 73,598 photos, 8,493 members
- David DuChemin's Within the Frame 15,197 photos, 1,659 members
- Typical Shutterbug 17,819 photos, 577 members
- One Strobe Pony 65,288 photos, 8,618 members
- Tickled Pink 2,721 photos, 402 members
- Be Selective About Your Color 3,790 photos, 479 members
- ☆~Worthy of Flickr~☆ (Post 1 - Award 2) 8,374 photos, 817 members
- *★~Super Duper Ducky Awards~★* (Post 1 - Award 2) 8,912 photos, 560 members
- "Flickrs Awesome Blossoms" P1/A3 Sweeper Active 267,103 photos, 13,326 members
- Harley Davidson & Metric Motorcycles 25,190 photos, 1,879 members
- Lensbaby 73,724 photos, 9,340 members
- Sunday Beer Club 183 photos, 28 members
- ClanFlickr 38,212 photos, 292 members
- Nik Software Photo Share 149,519 photos, 6,509 members
- Blue Ribbon PHOTOGRAPHY (INVITE ONLY) 285,566 photos, 42,639 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L (IS) USM 77,481 photos, 6,532 members
- High Fidelity Photo Art 54,636 photos, 3,271 members
- Royal Group - Have a Good Light ! 718,516 photos, 29,038 members
- Photomatix 395,321 photos, 19,375 members
- Totally Fake (Photoshop Techniques) 1,628 photos, 278 members
- Macros Amaze Me 412 photos, 25 members
- Black and White Macro Micro Close Up Perspectives 299 photos, 126 members
- Color Macro, Micro,Close Up Perspectives 2,015 photos, 203 members
- 1 Million 5,452 photos, 11,629 members
- Pontiac Motors Division 17,107 photos, 984 members
"I love Jeff's shots. He always finds something a little unusual, something I wouldn't have thought of shooting and shows it for the marvel it is. It could be something from around his home, something that I myself own but have never really looked at and Jeff will shoot it in such a way as to make me go and look again and marvel that I missed its beauty before. He is a fabulousl at people shots - always capturing them in flattering light and always with a touch of whimsy and good humour. He is a straight ahead generous man with a great talent for photography. I always learn something from each shot he posts. Have a look through his stream and you will come to appreciate both him and his work as I have."
6th December, 2009
Hee Haw But A Number says:
"Jeff, what can I say. Other than sorry, as I do not visit your stream nearly as much as I should.
The ideas behind shots, and the consistent quality are testiment to the control you hold over your camera.
Keep up the good work, and thank you for all your kind comments."
25th October, 2009
"I find Jeff's work truly amazing. His photos are sharp and clear and he exhibits wonderful ability. To produce the photos he has taken in his brief career is raw talent. Thanks for sharing Jeff!"
17th June, 2009
- September 2005
- Raymore, MO, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Jeff Golden Photography