from San Francisco Magazine, May, 2008
... and in a March, 2009, piece, the nice people at the magazine said "Curley ... shoots haunting, late-night street scenes, as well as quirky images of offbeat events" and also pointed out the "stunning technical quality" of my work.
"We don`t make a photograph just with a camera; we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved."
-- Ansel Adams
"...but it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once and it's too much; my heart fills up like a balloon and it's about to burst. And then I remember to relax. And stop trying to hold on to it. And then it flows through me, like rain, and I can't feel anything but gratitude for *every* single moment of my stupid little life...".
-- From "American Beauty"
Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
- Pablo Picasso
"By any conventional measure, a mere seven years after my graduation day, I had failed on an epic scale. An exceptionally short-lived marriage had imploded, and I was jobless, a lone parent and as poor as it is possible to be in modern Britain without being homeless. ... by every usual standard, I was the biggest failure I knew.
"Why do I talk about the benefits of failure? Simply because failure meant a stripping away of the inessential. I stopped pretending to myself that I was anything other than what I was, and began to direct all my energy into finishing the only work that mattered to me. ...
"I was set free, because my greatest fear had already been realized, and I was still alive, and I still had a daughter whom I adored, and I had an old typewriter and a big idea. And so rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life."
--- author J.K. Rowling, to the 2008 graduating class at Harvard
I just like making photographs.
Many of my photos are available at
John Curley Photography
You can see more photos and read about photographers and gear and trends and lots of other stuff on my blog:
I write about Burning Man on
The Burning Blog
I also have another Flickr site:
Jackie Cat Eye
(If you'd like to use something of mine on your blog, just drop me a line.)
- 'Roid Week 2011 3,413 photos, 1,330 members
- Objective Scenes 3,222 photos, 224 members
- Friends of the Gateway (FOG) 33 photos, 4 members
- in loving memory of imapix 132 photos, 156 members
- Temple of Flux 1,067 photos, 102 members
- IMPOSSIBLE PX/PZ / 8x10 Color Shade Film 22,996 photos, 2,171 members
- Diablo Magazine in the East Bay 7,039 photos, 359 members
- pola weekly 2,278 photos, 244 members
- 'Roid Week 2010 5,647 photos, 1,675 members
- SOFTWARE User Group for Anthropics Portrait Professional (TAG) 4,446 photos, 2,235 members
- Lensbaby 71,006 photos, 9,070 members
- My Photo is in a Magazine / Publication! 64 photos, 89 members
- Please Vote for Reka Nyari! 28 photos, 362 members
- K. Lane Actions & Presets 400 photos, 677 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 290,361 photos, 18,819 members
- Sand By The Ton 70 photos, 12 members
- SF Fashion 409 photos, 85 members
- polaroid expired film 39,344 photos, 2,473 members
- Polaroid 264,071 photos, 22,991 members
- 'Roid Week 2006 203 photos, 82 members
- point lobos project 229 photos, 57 members
- 'Roid Week 2009 5,259 photos, 1,349 members
- San Francisco Magazine 8,810 photos, 332 members
- Apples & Sisters Resources 1,373 photos, 1,347 members
- The Duel Group (pool reserved for duel winners) 3,048 photos, 2,200 members
- Polaroid Spectra 19,252 photos, 2,219 members
- Photojournalism & Photojournalists 180,874 photos, 8,781 members
- SFist 59,745 photos, 1,366 members
- Death Valley - February 2010 40 photos, 33 members
- Alphatography 70 photos, 81 members
- The Sayulita Life 697 photos, 72 members
- Beaches - Around the World 51,638 photos, 4,982 members
- Hearts in The City 137 photos, 73 members
- Abstracts of Mother Nature 2,756 photos, 708 members
- An Art Opening 7 photos, 371 members
- East Bay West 3 photos, 5 members
- East Bay West Online 19 photos, 9 members
- Flaming Lotus Girls 3,174 photos, 187 members
- Naturey Crap 78,978 photos, 3,011 members
- Black Rock Arts Foundation "BRAF" 413 photos, 120 members
- News 21 / The American Dream 1,101 photos, 381 members
- **AMERICA, AMERICA! - HAPPY MOTHERS' AND FATHERS' DAY 176,545 photos, 5,228 members
- Photoshop Support Group 198,716 photos, 32,360 members
- Polaroid Cars 4,197 photos, 832 members
- Holgagraphy 162,249 photos, 14,162 members
- Toy Cameras 294,021 photos, 20,624 members
- I Shoot Film 2,030,490 photos, 81,271 members
- LOMO 215,994 photos, 31,831 members
- Holga 249,728 photos, 19,398 members
- Perfect Escapes Photo Pool 1,563 photos, 475 members
"the most awesome person i've never met!"
27th November, 2007
"beautiful pics. words. heart. company.
is there anyone that would argue with me?
he is a walking, talking,
and i like his dog. too."
15th November, 2007
"the first flickr fotographer i met in the flesh and he was fantastic. still is. besides his obvious talent he's a joy to be around. the only problem is....i can't keep up with him (even though he's older than me....by about a month or two.)"
27th June, 2007
"John has his index finger firmly planted on the pulse of San Francisco. When you see a thumb of a new picture of his, you gotta click it -- otherwise, you'll be wondering what you missed for the rest of the day. Great stuff!"
2nd February, 2007
"John as expected your photographs feel just like you.
Wise, open, playful, honest, like a breath of fresh air with flair!!
Thank you for being supportive and thoughtful. I hope to see you again soon;)
13th December, 2006
Laurie York says:
"John Curley's photos, for me, are a voyage into the heart and soul of an extraordinarily gifted photographer and a caring human being. I see no separation between the two, which propels John's work into my list of favorite photographers. John's sensitivity to light and emotion fills his images with meaning beyond words, and in that quiet space, some of his remarkable photos have become etched into my own soul. Thank you my friend..."
5th December, 2006
"the only thing i like better than john curley's photos is john curley. he's got your back when the security guard catches you tresspassing in the abandoned warehouse. he knows a place where just three dollars can buy you a world full of fortune. and most importantly of all, he will never, ever fake your raisin."
30th October, 2006
Creative Oculus says:
Your photos are indescribable!!! I have not checked all of them yet, but the one's that I have seen and adored are absolutely superb that they are beyond words to describe.
Thanks so much for sharing to everyone here.....................Caroline"
19th June, 2006
"one of the most charming men I've ever met, I think -- and a damned good photographer, who just keeps getting better and better. looking forwad to our next dinner of tortellinis, red wine, and endless chat..."
10th May, 2006
Sugar Booger says:
"Nobody knows how to photograph knee socks better than John Curley. By far one of the most addictive photostreams on Flickr. His photography embodies his very nature: smart, charming and wickedly cool."
11th December, 2005
"Light of my life, fire of my loins.
He was John. "Curley" in the morning. Standing 4'10 in one sock.
..if you know what i mean.
30th November, 2005
"John is a master of his craft. I must say, there is a side of me that wishes that he did make a living with his photography. Then there would be even more to revel in.
27th September, 2005
"Everyone should take care not to ignore John's earlier photos - he has some great work.
It is hard to make a consistant statement about most of Flickr's best, John Curley included - he has many great sets, landscape, documentary...
Stop reading this and go to the stream before I kick myself. You'll thank me for that advice."
4th April, 2005
"John's stream is a fantasy world...Its more than beautiful.
Simple as that!"
28th February, 2005
Terri Lynn says:
"I believe John is one of those mystical merfolk I read about in mythology. I can see the longing, the wistful rattling of his ocean bones, as he captures images of his beloved Pacific.
And his land and people shots aren't so shabby either!"
25th January, 2005
"John seems to "succumb" to alot of "lures." And he takes a "ridiculous" amount of pictures. Well, we can "thank" him for that. His work truly "shines," and shows a wisdom only an "experienced" eye can "reflect."
I look forward to where you're manic depression (of the shutter button) will take you."
30th November, 2004
- November 2004
- born in New York City, now living in Pacifica, California
- i'm a photographer, writer, educator and editor