Short version: American expat living in Manila, Philippines after 7 years in Java, Indonesia. Photographer, “Technology Integration Specialist”, trained as an Engineer/ Designer, traveler.
Long version: Keep reading…
Indonesia has been my home for many years. It is a land of exquisite beauty, exotic cultures, and fascinating people, all of which have been a continual source of inspiration for my photography.
During my time here, I have seen the magnificence of destruction, the hope of rebuilding, and an astounding resilience which is a testament to the Indonesian people’s vitality and perseverance. My journeys often take me into areas of absolute poverty, yet smiles abound. Vibrant colors saturate the landscape, and unimaginable splendor is found in the most unexpected of places.
My photographs tend to explore the juxtaposition of the mundane and the exotic and seek the essence of what makes something beautiful. This may take the form of a graceful Balinese dancer’s feet twirling around delicate flower petals, the sky blue of a slum wall behind the brilliant fuchsia of a food vendor’s cart, or the rain-soaked tea plantations carpeting the side of a perilous volcano. Through this collection of photographs, I hope to share Indonesia’s vitality and the simple allure of this breathtaking country.
Now on to the reality.
Seven years. Seven breathtaking, phenomenal, life-changing years.
That’s how long I lived on the island of Java, Indonesia. It was quite possibly the farthest place I could have chosen from my ‘home’ of Michigan, in the States. What am I doing here? Perhaps we should rephrase that. What am I not doing here?
I spent seven (not that’s not a typo) years achieving a degree in Engineering / Industrial Design / and Fine Arts. I ’should’ be working in that field I suppose, designing cars and making loads of cash. Instead I’ve opted for traveling. Far. I’ve been here ever since. I consider the time spent here my second education, and in many ways, more important than the first.
My most active project with flickr has been the creation of FlickrSocial. The group I find the most inspiration from, has to be Utata.
I have a blog, if you'd like to hear the rest of the story, please take a look!
Prints are available here.
Find me on facebook.
My space on myspace.
I shoot digital after a brief, yet passionate affair with film, red lamps, and chemical highs - the ‘real’ darkroom. I love the ability to view my work immediately, and in a place like Indonesia, digital is your friend.
Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 17-40mm f/4L
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS
Canon 35mm f/1.4L
Canon 70-200mm f/4L
Canon 50mm f/1.8II
Canon 85mm f/1.8
Canon 1.4x TC
Canon Speedlite 420EX
Manfrotto Tripod and Ballhead
Crumpler Karachi Outpost
Crumpler Six Million Dollar bag
*Previously used Canon 300D and 350D
My Digital Darkroom consists of the following:
17″ Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz 4GB RAM / 500GB
15″ Macbook Pro 2.16Ggzh 3GB RAM / 160GB
13″ MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz 2GB RAM
5+TB of external drives
Adobe Photoshop CS3 / CS4
Email: thejavajive [at] gmail [dot] com
Photos of javajive (1)
- Canon EOS 6D - Official Group 58,391 photos, 5,027 members
- Fuji X Mount Cameras with alt and legacy lenses 5,288 photos, 415 members
- FUJIFILM X STREET PHOTOGRAPHY 19,413 photos, 1,039 members
- Fuji X-Pro 1 & XE-1 by Fujifilm 100,137 photos, 5,497 members
- Fuji X-E1 /X-E2 by Fujifilm 58,817 photos, 3,115 members
- Fuji X-E1 18,605 photos, 911 members
- Stuck On Earth Community 89,807 photos, 5,773 members
- Hipstamatic 292,423 photos, 16,648 members
- MAGIC PRIME (Canon EF 135 f/2.0 L) 14,515 photos, 1,264 members
- flickristasindios 97,286 photos, 2,889 members
- canon photography 3,165,250 photos, 65,261 members
- Lifehacker Workspace Show and Tell 9,842 photos, 8,793 members
- "Philippine Photographic Society" 66,005 photos, 1,622 members
- Pinoy Photojournalist 7,146 photos, 1,063 members
- "Only in the Philippines!" 62,612 photos, 2,701 members
- Philippines Images 53,598 photos, 3,181 members
- Philippines 148,409 photos, 7,758 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark III Group 592,818 photos, 23,325 members
- Cover Models 3,268 photos, 651 members
- Candid & Street Photography 886,957 photos, 23,885 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 482,997 photos, 31,764 members
- bokeh 192,638 photos, 37,062 members
- * Bokeh & Short DOF (No Macros - Please Read The Guidelines) 15,062 photos, 1,942 members
- Best of Indonesia Photos 24,097 photos, 2,949 members
- Aperture Users 303,004 photos, 11,204 members
- Canon 17-40 f/4L USM Group 143,541 photos, 8,476 members
- Darkest Dreaming 4,922 photos, 775 members
- Digital Black and White (2 per day: no nudity: no colour) 95,443 photos, 6,811 members
- Lowlight Gallery 26,695 photos, 1,722 members
- prime lenses (fixed focal length) 240,277 photos, 7,259 members
- Photoshop Support Group 214,343 photos, 32,862 members
- Shoot Wide Open 67,704 photos, 3,239 members
- Wedding Photography 221,068 photos, 45,543 members
- Canon prime lens club 51,948 photos, 5,143 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,842 photos, 56,159 members
- Award Flickr Best 19,075 photos, 2,276 members
- Volcanoes 27,961 photos, 4,108 members
- Beautiful Bali... 3,923 photos, 1,385 members
- bokeh whores 240,513 photos, 11,498 members
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 979,023 photos, 59,156 members
- Platinum Photography Group ~ High Quality~Queue -P1/C3 251,009 photos, 31,527 members
- *Clair-Obscur / Darkness-Light* 123,651 photos, 5,250 members
- National Geographic Faces of the World 35,413 photos, 2,406 members
- Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM 49,087 photos, 5,485 members
- Global Spirit ==>Sacred Images Only! (post 1, comment 1 please) 4,696 photos, 566 members
- Experimentation 135,632 photos, 10,935 members
- PASSION PHOTOGRAPHY (COMMENTS PHOTO) 105,187 photos, 14,004 members
- Creative Photo Group_ BASIC (P1-C3) 479,863 photos, 28,984 members
- MY WINNERS P1/A2 / WINNERS NOW SHOWING 973,769 photos, 86,580 members
- Cambodia Images 72,289 photos, 4,997 members
Butterfly from java says:
"I am indonesian,..I love all your pics about my country.
24th May, 2007
Franc Le Blanc . says:
"It 's always a pleasure to browse your photocollection .I do this very often because you have so beautiful pictures.You surprise me every time with your remarkable collection. I feel the large and small things in life."
24th September, 2006
"I've not heard from Brandon for a bit but I contiune to follow his fantastic photographs that allow me a unique glimpse into the lives going on around him."
9th June, 2005
"Its hard to say what first attracted me to his photo stream. Every picture is unique,and beautiful. What I love about his photography is the essence of life it brings. The thoughts and questions they leave behind are just a bonus.
6th February, 2005
"Brandon is one of the finest photographers on Flickr. period.
Whether his stunningly beautiful 'better half', the powerfully poignant temple at Borobudur, or everyday street life in Yogyakarta - his photography goes deeper than the technical mastery of taking a great shot to the revelation of his subject's inner dignity, energy, and beauty. That is the power of a true artist and a sincere human being."
27th December, 2004
- Brandon Hoover
- October 2004
- Jakarta, Indonesia (formerly Michigan)
- Manila, Philippines
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Technology Integration Specialist - Trained as an Industrial Designer
- j a v a j i v e