I do not photograph because I see. I see because I photograph.
I was tired and burnt out during my last year of college. I found I gain much strength, energy, and balance in my life when I spent time outdoors communicating with nature. While outside, I wanted to capture my feelings and preserve memories, so I picked up a camera, and found something that I always felt was missing in my life – a creative outlet and a way to express myself in ways other than using words. All of a sudden there was a World out there I have never noticed, shapes I overlooked, a powerful Universe I never took time to explore and understand. I realized I am just begin to see to see and understand this beautiful planet and its inhabitants. Once I bought my first camera, I could not put it down.
My favorite subjects are nature, architecture and people.
After spending the first 20 years of my life in Moscow, Russia, 2 years in England and four years in Utah, I decided to settle in San Francisco Bay Area, where I now reside.
I use Nikon cameras and lenses.
FYI - I use Flickr more like a journal. Since I work on several projects at the same time, the postings at times may look random. But this is how I shoot and think. Visiting my sets may make more sense.
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,842 photos, 56,167 members
- Leica M photography 131,923 photos, 4,374 members
- Leica M (Type 240) 6,226 photos, 541 members
- SmugMugs 2 photos, 2 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 217,078 photos, 5,236 members
- Photo Talk Plus 915 photos, 351 members
- Stuck On Earth Community 89,830 photos, 5,773 members
- Fuji X100 117,116 photos, 7,887 members
- Your Best Shot 2010 18,897 photos, 23,163 members
- Utah Lake 866 photos, 45 members
- LEE Filters 28,824 photos, 2,667 members
- Albany Bulb Scott Kelby Photowalk 282 photos, 24 members
- Monochromatic Visions 21,994 photos, 2,301 members
- Official LDS Church Call for Photos 3,620 photos, 616 members
- New Photo Page Preview 0 photos, 3,459 members
- Destination Oakland 1,811 photos, 220 members
- 2010 Amgen Tour of California 611 photos, 99 members
- Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Lens 1,447 photos, 855 members
- Michael Frye's Photo Critique Series 4,670 photos, 607 members
- yosemite 34,206 photos, 5,285 members
- Sigma 10-20mm 268,545 photos, 14,974 members
- Long Exposure 550,162 photos, 52,082 members
- Pioneer Woman Photography Assignments 181,831 photos, 57,910 members
- The Darkroom™ - SBG's Style Challenge #1 - Panning Motion 13 photos, 109 members
- Photo Madness: Congratulations DeeMac! Our 2013 champion!! 435 photos, 345 members
- Northern California Photographers 75,794 photos, 1,992 members
- Nikon D300 Users 530,567 photos, 17,025 members
- 400+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 486 photos, 444 members
- 200+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 3,111 photos, 1,040 members
- 300+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 1,027 photos, 613 members
- 100+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 19,101 photos, 2,958 members
- Beauty of Big Sur 2,061 photos, 242 members
- Big Sur, California 10,388 photos, 1,459 members
- Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG MACRO 26,270 photos, 1,860 members
- Pacific Seascapes 2,996 photos, 324 members
- Elemental Photography 1,403 photos, 211 members
- Images with Filters 10,274 photos, 983 members
- Natural Landscapes 17,395 photos, 3,393 members
- Northern California Photography 131,351 photos, 4,472 members
- 50+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two). 33,287 photos, 5,655 members
- 500+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 291 photos, 350 members
- 600+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 158 photos, 275 members
- 25+ Faves (25-49): P1, aw & fav 2 on the first newest page 18,445 photos, 5,281 members
- 10+ Faves (10-24): P1, aw & fav 2 on the 1 newest pages 16,758 photos, 6,322 members
- California Photographer - Best Photos from California 19,018 photos, 1,040 members
- CHARITY PRINT AUCTIONS - PHILIPPINES 0 photos, 1,415 members
- San Francisco 225,450 photos, 13,730 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 15,585 photos, 19,228 members
- DMU Save10 Book - Volume 2 59 photos, 42 members
- Utata 410,338 photos, 23,349 members
G Dan Mitchell says:
"Ivan is a serious, thoughtful, creative, and all around fine photographer. He has a good sense of what he is working to accomplish. I've had the good fortune to photograph with Ivan on at least one occasion, and I always look forward to his photographic work and his thinking and observations on photography."
26th January, 2010
Thomas Hawk says:
"Ivan is a serious and accomplished photographer. One of Flickr's best. More than this though, Ivan is a dedicated community member and someone I'm happy to call a friend. He is extremely focused on his work and on his role as a leader in the Bay Area photographic community. He's a great father and a good friend. I'm glad to have the opportunity to shoot regularly with him around town and to watch the great work that he does both with a camera and without a camera."
28th September, 2009
"Ivan is da man. Check his stream, you will see. I don't need to lead you there..."
7th September, 2009
"Ivan's land and seascapes never fail to inspire. His eye for geometry in architechture is admirable but it's his genuine desire to share what he knows with those who would listen that sets him
6th September, 2009
"Ivan is the pespective master. Every single one of his shots is a lesson in 3 dimensional composition. And he finds interesting subjects too. A photographer whose work I follow eagerly."
5th September, 2009
No longer the boy says:
"Ivan is a superb photographer. His shots are clean, refined, sophisticated without being overly cluttered. His B&W works reveal a brilliant eye for contrast and for the mundane that his photos can elevate to art."
5th September, 2009
"Ivan used to shoot a lot of Rocks and Waves along the California shoreline. And he shot them extremely well. I used to give Ivan a lot of grief for all those "dreamy shoreline" shots, because I could see he had a sharp eye for photography and knew he could do so much more. Nowadays, Ivan's been brining a wide range of great shots to DMU and elsewhere, and with a lot of huge applause."
21st August, 2009
"Ivan's photographs are always amazing. I'm always happy when I see a new shot in my contacts list."
25th July, 2008
eden's lane says:
"Ivan's photo's are nothing short of AMAZING and INSPIRING!"
6th May, 2008
"Ivan was one of my first contacts a year ago when I got my d40.. his Utah's landscape photos were of inspiration to me on my learning process.. a digital camera was something new to me, and you helped me a lot understanding some processes back on the d40 club (remember that time?). I've followed his great evolution on photography (among other stuff, like studies, family).
One of my favorite flickr photos is Ivan's www.flickr.com/ph... , I can call this one a perfect photo. For the future, I'll follow your "light technique", and I hope your baby boy will grow as healthy as my baby girl.
obs: my father inlaw has a civic ;)"
3rd March, 2008
"Ivan takes some of the most beautiful photographs I have ever scene, his landscapes rival many of the greats, his portraits of his son are beautiful, and it seems as though every thing he does is amazing.
I look forward to seeing his work everyday, which is something I can say about very few artists. If there is one thing I am thankful for on flickr it is Ivan."
16th October, 2007
"For only having his Nikon D40 for the last four months, IvanoMak is an amazing and talented photographer! His forte is landscape in B&W, but he is continually progressing in his HDR shots as well.
It's hard to believe that someone with such little experience can be featured on a major state news channel, KSL, for his infamous “Dead Horse Point” shot, which also received over 8000 views via the Flickr community.
I strongly recommend viewing Ivan’s work and I hope you become inspired as much as I have been due to his simple yet surreal shots."
8th April, 2007
"I'd have to agree with Chris. IvanoMak has always gone the distance to help others. He's one of the few that I can actually call a great Flickr friend. We Flickr-mail each other about every other day to talk about our next projects, what new toys we can get for our cameras, and so forth.
If you've never seen his work STOP reading this, and go check it out! He's one of the few I've seen her on Flicker, that just keeps getting better, and better.
Keep up the GREAT work Ivan.^^"
26th March, 2007
"Ivan is one of the coolest guys on Flickr, he's always ready to offer his help and advice no matter what your question may be.
Having kept a close eye on his photostream for the past few months I can safely say he has a real talent.
I urge you to check out his excellent photos now!"
21st March, 2007
- Ivan M.
- December 2006
- Moscow, Russia
- California, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- I-M Photography