This was written in June, 2007, for Joe Strahlendorff's blog, at his kind request:
Author, poet, essayist, critic and translator, for most of my life I made a living as a publisher and editor, safe for the five years served as a diplomat in charge of cultural affairs at the Embassy of Mexico in Tokyo; now I am a professor at Kansai Gandai University in Hirakata, a small city exactly between Osaka, Kyoto and Nara. As it happens with most writers, my first interest has been always reading; the second one is now Japan. I came to this country after many years of reading, studying and translating its ancient poetry, but was never interested in modern Japan — what unending surprise it was, and is still, each and every day! Not so strange I took a camera, and I took it seriously. In all my capacities I have been involved in several ways (of course as spectator, but also as critic and promotor) with arts and photography, and have had the privilege of friendship with some great photographers, but before coming to Japan never felt the necessity of taking a photo. Here I feel it all the time. Photography is for me, first of all, an instrument, like a notebook: a way of reading (understanding, interpreting) Japan, a country of unending beauty, fascinating culture and wonderful people. But then photography is not only a document: it is an object itself, of contemplation; and a subject to think about and discuss — as you can see through my stream, I am not interested in a particular kind of photography: I do black and white, color, abstracts, streetphoto, portraits, candids, landscapes, minimals, use a lot of photoshop or none at all — everything can be good, or bad. Some of my photos have participated in collective shows and this year I had my first individual exhibit. I have created and administer several pools; the most recent is The Temporary Gallery. As I take a lot of photos and my photostream is huge, I maintain a selection at The Asiain Gallery — better to begin exploring there.
I write a blog on Things Japanese, in Spanish
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.
My 180 most faved photos are here;
they can be seen in chronological order here;
and in a random selection here.
Groups I have created:
The Temporary Gallery
Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 東京都文京区
The Ginza Pool
Fotos de Mexicanos aparecidas en Explore
Groups where I am an Administrator:
6+ Faves AND 100+ Views
The Street Photography Collective
Hit & Run Photography
The Beauty of Japan and China
The Top 20 Zen Pool
free web counter
Photos of aurelio.asiain (11)
- instagram a day 5,268 photos, 438 members
- iPhone 158,400 photos, 5,511 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 635,868 photos, 31,500 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 41,806 photos, 4,887 members
- Jacarandá 295 photos, 164 members
- Vietnam Images 97,974 photos, 5,556 members
- EN POS DE CARTIER-BRESSON / A LA RECHERCHE DE CARTIER-BRESSON / 3,216 photos, 278 members
- Light Concept 656 photos, 52 members
- 角のタバコ屋 59 photos, 22 members
- Concurso Neteando con Fernanda 2008 113 photos, 79 members
- Ne ho una uguale 33 photos, 48 members
- Focus on Feet 2,273 photos, 609 members
- Dragan Effect 1,560 photos, 722 members
- Flickr's cooking photo's. 57 photos, 27 members
- Autumn Anywhere 15,354 photos, 1,814 members
- Friends we love 636 photos, 93 members
- Worldnomads.com - World Festivals 1,363 photos, 267 members
- only reflections 3,111 photos, 572 members
- Decisive Moments... Classics in B&W 16,125 photos, 3,472 members
- Photojournalism in Real Time 3,191 photos, 230 members
- Stinky ass crap group 561 photos, 203 members
- ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ 187,502 photos, 6,691 members
- **Super best shots on flickr**/ P1, A 3 ! NO COMMENT=BAN! 130,917 photos, 5,824 members
- Pink 2008 21,694 photos, 8,908 members
- Photographie and Fotografia 3,263 photos, 212 members
- Humour My Day 594 photos, 264 members
- In The Mood For Food 2,722 photos, 342 members
- Spectacular Landscapes-invited images only :-) 14,320 photos, 6,081 members
- the best illustrators ever 21,885 photos, 1,762 members
- Lucidreams 10,209 photos, 1,221 members
- GialloBlu - YellowBlue - JauneBleu - AmarilloAzul - GelbBlau 975 photos, 794 members
- Syria Israel 68 photos, 114 members
- Freezes Time 2,606 photos, 308 members
- ! Illustration Now ! 298,860 photos, 15,799 members
- Nature-Culture-Dialog 930 photos, 101 members
- *free shot*...no winners no losers...(post / comment / invite) 53,859 photos, 1,065 members
- triangletriangle.com secret submission society 107,629 photos, 5,507 members
- LOVE IN RED 1,444 photos, 593 members
- Tone It Up 2,180 photos, 298 members
- Shibui (渋い) 12,965 photos, 662 members
- Japanese Bestiary 動物寓意譚 Bestiario japonés 17 photos, 7 members
- 太樂網の好攝園地-Photograph Garden(post 1 comment 1) 34,277 photos, 1,215 members
- TLC photography [upload 1 comment 2] 58,931 photos, 3,429 members
- CLOSED GROUP! 3,299 photos, 844 members
- The Gallery Of Fine PORTRAIT Photography [No frames/signatures] 32,431 photos, 5,297 members
- Tokyo Art Beat 455 photos, 324 members
- Olé Que Bonito !! 50,169 photos, 2,279 members
- The Woman ♀ Adored 5,570 photos, 420 members
- it was delicious 4,751 photos, 221 members
- flickrjob's hall of fame 3,099 photos, 190 members
"Ionushi has a quick and unerring eye, and--within his remarkable set, "Now Hanging On The Walls" (Sept. 2007)-- great consistency in his aesthetic, as well as a classic Japanese sense (perhaps absorbed from his adopted country's art) for spare design, geometric rhythm, and the telling detail, as understood through a fresh medium, in this case, photography.
This particular set is a delight to the eye, and a great privilege to return to, also as a means to refine one's own sense of how and what to see, as led by a man of artistic discernment, lively mind and keen eye.
Yet, what is remarkable is that if one turns to different sets, one finds again and again yet another side to this remarkable photographer, and engaging human being. He demonstrates the capacity to think and work in diverse genres, and manifest a range of aesthetic responses to the world around him. This is work to return to over and over again, for one will come away inspired, renewed, and challenged to do better oneself."
26th September, 2007
"Ionushi is certainly one of the most intelligent, humorous and subtle photographers I've come across on Flickr. His photostream is like a journey and he will be your guide, making you see the world through his ever special perspective and clever remarks.
And as if that wasn't enough, he's a great contact too!
Enjoy the journey..."
26th March, 2007
"I can't believe I'm the first one writing a testimonial for this gentleman. Diversity would be the one word to encapsulate his great work. Abstracts, portraits, street scenes, traditional Japan... the list of his subjects goes on and on.
I look forward to his visits to my stream when his comments show me things in my own work that I had not noticed before.
3 things shine out from his photos and his commenting;...integrity. intelligence, and humor.
Oh! and check out his poetic skill with his titles."
28th January, 2007
- Aurelio Asiain
- August 2006
- México D.F.
- HIrakata-shi, Osaka, Japan
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Writer, Scholar, Professor
- margen del yodo