Howdy! :-) My name is ILINA. Originally from Bulgaria, I now live in NYC and I do web/UI design for a living (and for joy).
I got intrigued by photography in the summer of 2006 when I took some artistic snapshots with my point-and-shoot camera. Then in December 2006 I bought my first DSLR (a Canon 30D). Shortly after I discovered the incredibly talented photographers on Flickr, in particular self-portrait artists such as LaraJade, KedraLynn, Quizz and Miss Aniela. I fell in love with self-portrait photography and started experimenting.
Over time through Flickr I started getting interest from agencies such as Getty Images and Trevillion. My photography has since been used on over 100 book covers, and by companies such as Microsoft, MTV, American Express, ABC Studios, Marie Claire, Asiana Airlines... It was also recently published on the cover of The Village Voice!
Some of my recent book covers:
It's been truly amazing to share my journey into photography with other artists here on Flickr. Thank you all for your support and inspiration! It really pushed me.
- - - - - - - - LICENSING - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Interested in using any of my photos? You can find some on Getty Images.
Many more "book cover" style pictures are available at Trevillion.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A small interview >
(It's translated in French, but below the French part there is the original in English).
What equipment do you use?
Ok here goes:
Canon 5D Mark II
My earliest work was done with a point-and-shoot Canon, I forget the make.
Studio lighting: 3 hot lamps, reflector, green screen, color filters, wireless switch, a flash...
Can I add you as a contact?
Sure thing, go ahead. I should mention though that I don't open my adds anymore, since they are a bit overwhelming. But you do not need my permission in order to make me a contact anyway. Of course it is a compliment to me if you do, so thank you!
What Photoshop filters / effects do you apply on your pictures?
Every picture is different, but I very rarely use filters. I do use gradients, color adjustments, layer blending and plenty of the dodging and burning tool. Sometimes I use more than one image to make one picture (only personal stock). When it comes to Photoshop there is no one solution to it all. Just experiment as much as you can, and online tutorials could be of great help. I cannot recommend any one in particular but if you want guidance on retouching such as "how to smooth skin" or "how to apply texture on an image" just try and google it - I have found this to be the most efficient way to learn new stuff just when you need it.
Since October 26, 2009:
Photos of ilina s (12)
- Book Cover Club 43,778 photos, 3,111 members
- PRO★DIGY 2,133 photos, 218 members
- flickr Stock Artists 751 photos, 112 members
- Female Self-Portrait Artists' Support Group (FSPASG) 4,747 photos, 285 members
- Flickr Hacks 461 photos, 16,395 members
- !Pink! 1,120 photos, 359 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 290,267 photos, 18,819 members
- American Photo Creative Showcase 92,447 photos, 5,036 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 442,400 photos, 94,225 members
- Flickr Social Club 706,470 photos, 31,270 members
- Cafe Elite 60,961 photos, 3,749 members
- Photoshop Support Group 198,739 photos, 32,356 members
- The Challenge Factory 83,240 photos, 4,729 members
- 100 Strangers 35,272 photos, 8,931 members
- *500x500 -- Best Of (CONTEST #022 OPEN - Post WINNER500 Pics. 3,697 photos, 523 members
- Favorites: 200 1,473 photos, 1,196 members
- Seasons’ Magic - Post 1 / Award 2 - Spring Time 26,351 photos, 3,246 members
- Minimalist Perfection 2,361 photos, 858 members
- In Her Own Image...fspasg book 2 128 photos, 73 members
- In Fine Style (Admin's Invite Only) 43,181 photos, 4,744 members
- Favorites: 300 792 photos, 317 members
- 900+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 39 photos, 164 members
- 1.000+ Faves 203 photos, 142 members
- Highly Competitive - Flickr's 100 Best 93 photos, 5,149 members
- 1000+ Comments or Faves(invite only) 42 photos, 183 members
- Looks like a dream! (Invite only) 34 photos, 11 members
- Emotional Self 10,509 photos, 1,361 members
- NYC Mixr 10,543 photos, 259 members
- 500x500 270,986 photos, 7,197 members
- F.C.C.Contests ~ Anyone can play ~ 7,964 photos, 1,692 members
- Vision Quality 100 (P1/F2/C2) 42,033 photos, 2,681 members
- Dazed and Confused - New Photographer Search 532,889 photos, 24,919 members
- Winner's Circle - Five Contests at all times 12,156 photos, 2,596 members
- Mega Shot Post 1, fave 2 4,538 photos, 7,994 members
- The Dictionary Of Image 4,263 photos, 1,587 members
- Sea & Ocean ( invite your contacts ) 211,342 photos, 18,924 members
- FAVES CONTEST: Play your FAVES HERE!!! 2,857 photos, 2,701 members
- Natures Finest (Invited Images Only) 295,397 photos, 39,533 members
- Flickr Ideas 0 photos, 11,533 members
- 100+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 17,074 photos, 2,816 members
- 200+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 2,393 photos, 973 members
- 500+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 247 photos, 328 members
- 300+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 801 photos, 580 members
- Portrait Classics - COMPETITIONS to resume soon - Members Only 11,659 photos, 6,084 members
- Dramatic 37,840 photos, 2,951 members
- Poetic Landscapes 4,502 photos, 573 members
- Dramatic Skies 10,950 photos, 861 members
- ~*~Atmosphere~*~ 122,315 photos, 4,525 members
- 15 Challenges 16,953 photos, 1,779 members
- Sepia & Toned Photo Awards (Awarded only) 17,836 photos, 5,091 members
Angelo M™ says:
"Ilina‘s stream is as famous as flickr. I love surreal atmosphere and minimal location so she is one of my living exemple. Her skills in postproduction transforms a good photo in a masterpiece. Ah she’s so beautiful to stop your breath but this becomes marginal.."
15th July, 2009
Miss Aniela says:
"I was first drawn to Ilina's photostream by its rich, robust, ruby tones, and the way in which she featured herself within bold colour palettes that were moving and poetic, yet with a sprinkling of almost Disney-like fantasy.
Ilina approaches photography from the point of view of a web designer and a former model, with a strong, inspiring processing style. Her progression in photography has been startingly steep over a seemingly short space of time. For me personally, my favourite images of hers feature Ilina as a kind of troubled, bewitching Sindy doll, who takes her own picture with the remote control visible in-frame, making us fully aware that she is controlling the image we see.
I was chuffed to spend some time with her in New York on a cold day in Dec '08, when I had the pleasure of getting to know much more about her in interviewing her (for a future project) and even shooting some collaborative self-portraits with her.
Thanks for being an inspiring artist, tour guide, and friend!"
26th March, 2009
"When it comes to Ilina's work I love to pause and linger for long minutes. On the surface you can immediately sense the smile and invitation, but then looking more closely you find a deeper invitation. An invitation to see with the eyes of your soul as she reveals layer by layer the work that she carves from her soul. Her art is much more than a subjective thing ... more truly and more honestly, it simply is "an always beautiful thing" …and an always beautiful place to be."
30th March, 2009
"Wow, i cannot believe that I haven't written any testimonial to Ilina. Man, I must have getting old. hehe. But anyway, Ilina's photos are breathtakingly beautiful. All of them look very well thought out, meticulously post processed. Her color pallet is also very great. She is a true talent!!!"
14th August, 2008
Pu®e Poison says:
"What a sweet person
I love her pics she’s really got talent
Her style is unique, feminine and lovely
It’s a pleasure to have you as a contact my dear
All the best .. :)"
15th July, 2008
""great. cool. amazing. excellent. sweet. intelligent. beautiful. talented. classy. smart. wonderful. brilliant. splendid. big-hearted. brave. outstanding. competent. sensual. captivating.
9th April, 2008
Nick Today says:
"ilina is a constant inspiration. Her photography is nearly flawless and creatively combined with her graphic design skills. Her insights into all sorts of things photography or not are priceless! I don't know why i didn't write this a long time ago. Keep up everything that you do ilina!"
13th March, 2008
"In a word . . . inspiring."
11th March, 2008
"I have no idea how Ilina is doing this but every single shot in her amazing photostream is incredibly special. The little lovely details makes them special.
The great thing about her photos is that you can keep looking at them for hours - and you won't get tired!
Ilina, you are a great artist!"
16th February, 2008
"i have always been expecting her next work! a really sensitive artist..."
2nd November, 2007
"A totally gifted young lady"
30th June, 2007
"Ilina is very talented photographer, her pictures are amazing in every detail. On her auto-portraits She captures her moods and thoughts perfectly. Completely Delightful person :) I always cannot wait for new shots. Keep it up!"
22nd June, 2007
"A pleasure to browse through these wonderful photographs, by a very beautiful and talented woman."
17th June, 2007
CHAD COOMBS says:
"awesome lighting and excellent post work.
great images all around and amazing self portraits.
portraits full of mood and amazing eye connection full of feeling and meaning.
all around hard stream to get out of your head. worth every second spent visiting."
8th May, 2007
C.r.y.s.t.a.l iS BacK ! says:
"i adore your work...
you picture yourself with feelings..
you're an angel of all time..
god bless you..."
3rd May, 2007
"when words doesn't work. There is a Ilina picture to say.
She is not only a pretty face. She is an artist in a complete meaning."
4th April, 2007
alan e miller says:
"A true artist. I enjoy returning to her photos just to brighten up my day. She can take a photo with style, class, elegance, and of coarse with natural beauty and amaze you. Thanks Ilina for your contribution to the world of photography."
1st April, 2007
"Feminine, beautiful, skilled and creative. To my mind Ilina is the perfect female photographer and model. She is graceful and unassuming.
Thank you Ilina for sharing what you have!"
8th March, 2007
Patricio Rodríguez says:
"An Imaginative, seductive and ethereal goddess who always surprise us with her creativity and glamour."
13th March, 2007
- Ilina Simeonova
- January 2006
- New York, NY, USA
- Web / UI Designer