I love every minute I'm out there in nature, trying to capture the beauty that's all around. I'm not out for the perfect shot; I'm out for a picture that I like. What I like might not necessarily be what you like, mind you. But it's like 'trophy hunting'. Sometimes you just know, when you push that shutter, "yes!".
To me, photography is not all about resolutions, pixels, or any other technical aspect. I still believe that the most important criterium is if the picture touches me, moves me, evokes an emotion. It can be many things, sheer beauty or maybe just the opposite, savageness, adorable, sad, a ray of light, a pose or a specific moment. Or maybe just because it puts a smile on my face. Passion should go beyond technology!
I often get the question how I get the animals to pose for me.The answer is simple: wait, wait, wait and ...... wait some more. Your feet get sore, your back aches, your arm muscles start to tremble from holding up the camera and lens. But in the end, when I get home with a picture that I like and that does the animal the right it deserves, to me it's worth it every time! I like to spend time with an animal. For me the 'see and shoot' thing doesn't work. You almost always miss that one special moment. Invariably, when you take your time and give the animal the opportunity to get used to your presence, they will do something that I would like to capture! Respect is a keyword here!
When I finally capture that one picture, it is often the only pick from a series of hundreds, but often enough a couple of thousand pictures.
You can read more about how and where the pictures were shot in my Wildlife Diary or, for more pictures, you are welcome to my website Hennie van Heerden.
Recently, my first official book was published!! In it 136 pages full color, filled with the most beautiful pictures I shot during the last four years. If you are interested, pleace visit
The world of Hennie van Heerden for the english version, or
De wereld van Hennie van Heerden for the Dutch version.
Photo was taken by Allen Koppe, Cinematographer, on Oshima Island, during the shooting of the Canon Japan Corporate Branding Commercial. Can you imagine that I was chosen for this because they had seen my Flickr page!!
I use Canon cameras (1D mark IV, 7D, 40D, 30D and 400D) and Canon lenses (ranging from 10 to 500mm).
Other things: Canon extenders 1.4 and 2.0.
Canon Speedlite 580EX II
Gitzo tripod with Wimberley tripod head
visited 51 states (22.6%)
Create your own visited map of The World
- Ik hou van Holland,.. I Love Holland ! 37,904 photos, 834 members
- All about World 107,820 photos, 2,192 members
- Finest Nature - Admin Invite - Post 1 Award 2 15,890 photos, 1,520 members
- @ Large and Out of Africa 19,831 photos, 645 members
- Top Photography Group ~ Monitored Queue ~ P1/C2 13,147 photos, 2,681 members
- Scenics & Wilderness (Admin Invite Only) 3,482 photos, 294 members
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 902,862 photos, 56,378 members
- Photographer's Choice~Hall of Fame (Invitation) 22,332 photos, 2,041 members
- S Johnson's Fauna High Quality Images Only! (only 1 per day) 60,040 photos, 5,453 members
- Flickr Big Cats 78,908 photos, 9,922 members
- in loving memory of imapix 132 photos, 156 members
- *Little stories-pics with "soul"*:Invited photos only ! 18,343 photos, 1,452 members
- The Serious Nature Photographer (50+ Favorites, P1:A2) - Sweeper 1,105 photos, 270 members
- Wildlife, KEEP IT WILD!!! 19,077 photos, 468 members
- *ABW* Gallery ~ by invitation only 1,090 photos, 1,411 members
- Excellence In Animal Photography (High Quality Images Only) 7,983 photos, 688 members
- high quality nature - Vote for Icon!~~~ 105,002 photos, 3,435 members
- Love of the Great Outdoors 57,745 photos, 1,571 members
- Earth - Home 46,660 photos, 2,403 members
- Wild Life Shots (POST 1 Comment 2) Join Contest : FOX ~ 27,303 photos, 2,749 members
- Magnificent Southern African Wildlife 5,713 photos, 396 members
- Bratanesque (invited pics only) 3,367 photos, 666 members
- Capture Nature / No human elements / 25,765 photos, 2,063 members
- Nature's Call. 79,581 photos, 3,268 members
- Gelderland 6,447 photos, 490 members
- #4 PLATINUM WILDLIFE/ Post 1 - Award 1 (P2-A2) with CODE 10,691 photos, 1,728 members
- Kris Kros Contacts 128,961 photos, 4,123 members
- Field Guide: Birds of the World 145,039 photos, 15,617 members
- Fantastic Wildlife 8,301 photos, 1,517 members
- Best of Wild Animals (WILD ANIMALS-Please re-READ rules) 14,101 photos, 1,230 members
- "Winged Wonders - Elite" (Admin Invite Only) Post 1, Award 2 4,024 photos, 581 members
- EarthShots.org Entries 9,627 photos, 748 members
- Flickr Diamond - Invited Photos ONLY 115,844 photos, 21,908 members
- "Winged Wonders"-- Birds Only-- Invite Only (Post 1, Award 2) 41,954 photos, 5,044 members
- Bird Watching Group (BWG): Post 1 : Award 2 160,554 photos, 8,909 members
- Vision Quality Group (P1/F2/C2) 103,871 photos, 4,868 members
- A "Quality Only" Club -Admin Invite+Moderated Post 12,266 photos, 2,169 members
- Birds Photos 1,123,933 photos, 48,387 members
- FirstQuality ADMIN INVITE P1/C1 NEW CONTESTS 33,879 photos, 3,167 members
- Greatest Hits:Born Free, Living Free (Admin Invite Only) 1,667 photos, 514 members
- Ultimate Wildlife Photography 24,452 photos, 1,107 members
- Born Free, Living Free 86,087 photos, 2,671 members
- Het Doka Archief 5,490 photos, 310 members
- In Fine Style (Admin's Invite Only) 43,191 photos, 4,744 members
- De Doka (1 foto/1 comment) 195,786 photos, 2,281 members
- National Geographic - by Italian People 72,946 photos, 6,373 members
- BORN to be WILD 24,564 photos, 2,162 members
- TIO's "Seal of Approval" (Invited Images Only) 8,291 photos, 834 members
- The Unforgettable Pictures ~ Post 1, Comment 3 ~ NEW RULES!! 245,990 photos, 30,178 members
- The Wildlife Photography 102,948 photos, 8,240 members
Judy & Paul says:
"Hennie's images acquaint the viewer intimately with the character and beauty of nature's creatures seen not in zoos, but in their natural habitat. She is a flickr favorite of ours, not only for her outstanding ability to use a camera, but for her warmth and generosity of spirit. We admire you greatly Hennie and envy your incredible, memorable experiences in the wildlands of Africa.
Judy & Paul"
27th December, 2009
"Hennie is a genuine genius :) and thats not a tall claim at all :)
I love how she lays it out clearly to us that getting a shoot is not just luck but lot of painful waiting and its about presenting a shot which brings the best out of that particular being :) you have been a inspiration to many wild life photographers and you continue to do so.
Thank you for going thru all the hardship to bring and share with us such exceptional work :) your photostream is a joy and its funny but a pride when ppl fight to be the first one to comment :D
2nd November, 2009
"Wij hebben Hennie leren kennen op de Hoge Veluwe als een hele sympatieke meid. Tijdens de hertenbronst 2009 in nationale park "De Hoge Veluwe" Vaak stonden wij naast elkaar te fotograferen. Vaak Dat was gezellig en daar ontvingen wij ook Haar vistekaartje. Bij Thuiskomst hebben wij Haar fotomatriaal Ademloos bekeken. In een woord meer dan geweldig hoe Zij ontmoette licht weet te spelen Daarbij Het juiste moment afwachtend en soms lekker babbelend Samen met Denis Rademaker. Een foto van Hennie uit die tijd herrinerd ons aan die mooie momenten."
6th October, 2009
"Een 'stream' met prachtige foto's Hennie
Elke keer opnieuw ben ik weer onder de indruk van je simpele foto's die precies de kern raken. Er staat precies op wat erop moet staan, in perfecte composities en kleurstellingen.
Ik vraag me bij jou nooit af waarom ik naar een foto zit te kijken. Het is altijd gelijk duidelijk.
18th May, 2009
"The exquisite beauty of Hennie's images leaves me in awe every time I visit...!
So beware...if you visit once......... you will become addict!
Bravo Hennie...and ..................Encore!
27th February, 2009
"I never cease to be amazed at the quality of shots here. The South African wildlife shots are simply outstanding. Inspired"
8th February, 2009
"Hennie has a talent, and is an artist in the truest sense of the word. Every photo captures something beyond just the simple image, she captures action, drama, words, emotion, and countless other features: things I and many other photographers aspire to capture. You may or may not be familiar with her work, but either way I recommend visiting and re-visiting each and every image in her photostream, and simply enjoy the artistry."
23rd April, 2008
Laurie York says:
"How can I begin to describe Hennie's exquisite photographs? It's as if she focuses the camera with her heart! I've have never seen wildlife photographed with such passion, reverence, and skill. Hennie's presence on Flickr is a rare gift to us all..."
21st January, 2008
BASUDEB RAIGANJ says:
I am again grateful to U for introducing me to the wider world of Photography specially to the Animal Kingdom.
6th July, 2007
"Hennie doesn't post pictures of animals, she posts portraits of nature. Each and every one of them are sharp, remarkable works of art. Her images are the payoff of an endless reserve of patience. A reserve which allows her images to convey atmosphere, feeling, or emotion, all through her understanding and mastery of her subject, her surroundings, and her equipment.
Keep up the good work, Hennie, we all look forward to your next posting."
19th April, 2007
"Hennie you are an artist. Your captures are very very specials and elegance! Always amaze me.
The Queen of Animals"
11th April, 2007
"Simply put, Hennie is one of my favourite nature photographers. Many of her pictures are awesome in every aspect of picture taking. Fantastic photography!"
12th February, 2007
"Hennie hasn't been on Flickr long but her photo's show she has had a love for photography and animals for a long time. I think what I like best is that Hennie's comments are as thoughtfull as her photos. At first she tricked me into going Ape over her HotLips Orangutang. Only till later sending me back to my Baboon Therapist halfway coconuts over the misguided Treetop fantasies I had developed. But I forgive her."
3rd November, 2006
"Hennie van Heerden has absolutely gorgeous photos! I only dream of visitng the places that she portrays so beautifully. I hope your adventures never end. Keep posting for all of us to enjoy!
12th October, 2006
"I just recently came to know hvhe1 work and wow!! what a find..I am so honored to have her as a contract..Her work is continuously amazing..You can tell she puts her heart and soul into her work just by the Exquisite photo's she takes..I look forward to viewing her photostream everyday..Thank you so much for sharing
12th October, 2006
- Hennie van Heerden
- September 2006
- The Netherlands
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- www.Hennie van Heerden.com