I love every minute I'm out there in nature, trying to capture the beauty that's all around. I'm not out for the perfect shot; I'm out for a picture that I like. What I like might not necessarily be what you like, mind you. But it's like 'trophy hunting'. Sometimes you just know, when you push that shutter, "yes!".
To me, photography is not all about resolutions, pixels, or any other technical aspect. I still believe that the most important criterium is if the picture touches me, moves me, evokes an emotion. It can be many things, sheer beauty or maybe just the opposite, savageness, adorable, sad, a ray of light, a pose or a specific moment. Or maybe just because it puts a smile on my face. Passion should go beyond technology!
I often get the question how I get the animals to pose for me.The answer is simple: wait, wait, wait and ...... wait some more. Your feet get sore, your back aches, your arm muscles start to tremble from holding up the camera and lens. But in the end, when I get home with a picture that I like and that does the animal the right it deserves, to me it's worth it every time! I like to spend time with an animal. For me the 'see and shoot' thing doesn't work. You almost always miss that one special moment. Invariably, when you take your time and give the animal the opportunity to get used to your presence, they will do something that I would like to capture! Respect is a keyword here!
When I finally capture that one picture, it is often the only pick from a series of hundreds, but often enough a couple of thousand pictures.
You can read more about how and where the pictures were shot in my Wildlife Diary or, for more pictures, you are welcome to my website Hennie van Heerden.
Recently, my first official book was published!! In it 136 pages full color, filled with the most beautiful pictures I shot during the last four years. If you are interested, pleace visit
The world of Hennie van Heerden for the english version, or
De wereld van Hennie van Heerden for the Dutch version.
Photo was taken by Allen Koppe, Cinematographer, on Oshima Island, during the shooting of the Canon Japan Corporate Branding Commercial. Can you imagine that I was chosen for this because they had seen my Flickr page!!
I use Canon cameras (1D mark IV, 7D, 40D, 30D and 400D) and Canon lenses (ranging from 10 to 500mm).
Other things: Canon extenders 1.4 and 2.0.
Canon Speedlite 580EX II
Gitzo tripod with Wimberley tripod head
visited 51 states (22.6%)
Create your own visited map of The World
Photos of hvhe1 (6)
- Nature's Spirit (P1/A2) (Must have an Invitation) 11,125 photos, 1,019 members
- Soar in Nature’s Spirit (a Step-up Group) 3,308 photos, 358 members
- MACRO-EMOTIONS One post a day. Comment before post!! 9,042 photos, 642 members
- Top-Notch Nature Photography INVITED PHOTOS ONLY 2,651 photos, 487 members
- Ik hou van Holland,.. I Love Holland ! 42,436 photos, 893 members
- All about World 132,438 photos, 2,363 members
- Finest Nature - Admin Invite - Post 1 Award 2 16,047 photos, 1,559 members
- @ Large and Out of Africa 20,365 photos, 642 members
- Top Photography Group ~ Monitored Queue ~ P1/C2 13,691 photos, 2,700 members
- Scenics & Wilderness (Admin Invite Only) 3,553 photos, 297 members
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 979,649 photos, 59,177 members
- Photographer's Choice~Hall of Fame (Invitation) 22,668 photos, 2,090 members
- S Johnson's Fauna High Quality Images Only! (only 1 per day) 68,526 photos, 5,762 members
- Flickr Big Cats 86,778 photos, 10,272 members
- in loving memory of imapix 132 photos, 153 members
- *Little stories-pics with "soul"*:Invited photos only ! 18,845 photos, 1,472 members
- The Serious Nature Photographer (50+ Favorites, P1:A2) - Sweeper 1,098 photos, 268 members
- Wildlife, KEEP IT WILD!!! 21,785 photos, 487 members
- *ABW* Gallery ~ by invitation only 1,079 photos, 1,402 members
- Excellence In Animal Photography (High Quality Images Only) 8,264 photos, 694 members
- high quality nature - Vote for Icon!~~~ 110,385 photos, 3,435 members
- Love of the Great Outdoors 60,235 photos, 1,584 members
- Earth - Home 51,471 photos, 2,440 members
- Wild Life Shots (POST 1 Comment 2) Join Contest : FOX ~ 30,168 photos, 2,792 members
- Magnificent Southern African Wildlife 5,833 photos, 428 members
- Bratanesque (invited pics only) 3,346 photos, 657 members
- Capture Nature / No human elements / 29,077 photos, 2,138 members
- Nature's Call. 85,534 photos, 3,304 members
- Gelderland 6,706 photos, 505 members
- #4 PLATINUM WILDLIFE/ Post 1 - Award 1 (P2-A2) with CODE 13,338 photos, 1,886 members
- Kris Kros Contacts 133,362 photos, 4,117 members
- Field Guide: Birds of the World 156,012 photos, 18,088 members
- Fantastic Wildlife 10,023 photos, 1,555 members
- Best of Wild Animals (WILD ANIMALS-Please re-READ rules) 15,198 photos, 1,227 members
- "Winged Wonders - Elite" (Admin Invite Only) Post 1, Award 2 3,887 photos, 568 members
- EarthShots.org Entries 11,263 photos, 774 members
- Flickr Diamond - Invited Photos ONLY 114,700 photos, 21,905 members
- "Winged Wonders"-- Birds Only-- Invite Only (Post 1, Award 2) 40,748 photos, 5,007 members
- Bird Watching Group (BWG): Post 1 : Award 2 167,759 photos, 8,932 members
- Vision Quality Group (P1/F2/C2) 103,199 photos, 4,808 members
- A "Quality Only" Club 12,356 photos, 2,149 members
- Birds Photos 1,246,025 photos, 51,135 members
- FirstQuality ADMIN INVITE P1/C1 NEW CONTESTS 34,532 photos, 3,173 members
- Greatest Hits:Born Free, Living Free (Admin Invite Only) 1,632 photos, 508 members
- Ultimate Wildlife Photography 27,560 photos, 1,180 members
- Born Free, Living Free 90,399 photos, 2,711 members
- Het Doka Archief 6,171 photos, 321 members
- In Fine Style (Admin's Invite Only) 42,886 photos, 4,687 members
- De Doka (1 foto/1 comment) 212,549 photos, 2,330 members
- National Geographic - by Italian People 74,638 photos, 6,411 members
Judy & Paul says:
"Hennie's images acquaint the viewer intimately with the character and beauty of nature's creatures seen not in zoos, but in their natural habitat. She is a flickr favorite of ours, not only for her outstanding ability to use a camera, but for her warmth and generosity of spirit. We admire you greatly Hennie and envy your incredible, memorable experiences in the wildlands of Africa.
Judy & Paul"
27th December, 2009
"Hennie is a genuine genius :) and thats not a tall claim at all :)
I love how she lays it out clearly to us that getting a shoot is not just luck but lot of painful waiting and its about presenting a shot which brings the best out of that particular being :) you have been a inspiration to many wild life photographers and you continue to do so.
Thank you for going thru all the hardship to bring and share with us such exceptional work :) your photostream is a joy and its funny but a pride when ppl fight to be the first one to comment :D
2nd November, 2009
"Wij hebben Hennie leren kennen op de Hoge Veluwe als een hele sympatieke meid. Tijdens de hertenbronst 2009 in nationale park "De Hoge Veluwe" Vaak stonden wij naast elkaar te fotograferen. Vaak Dat was gezellig en daar ontvingen wij ook Haar vistekaartje. Bij Thuiskomst hebben wij Haar fotomatriaal Ademloos bekeken. In een woord meer dan geweldig hoe Zij ontmoette licht weet te spelen Daarbij Het juiste moment afwachtend en soms lekker babbelend Samen met Denis Rademaker. Een foto van Hennie uit die tijd herrinerd ons aan die mooie momenten."
6th October, 2009
"Een 'stream' met prachtige foto's Hennie
Elke keer opnieuw ben ik weer onder de indruk van je simpele foto's die precies de kern raken. Er staat precies op wat erop moet staan, in perfecte composities en kleurstellingen.
Ik vraag me bij jou nooit af waarom ik naar een foto zit te kijken. Het is altijd gelijk duidelijk.
18th May, 2009
"The exquisite beauty of Hennie's images leaves me in awe every time I visit...!
So beware...if you visit once......... you will become addict!
Bravo Hennie...and ..................Encore!
27th February, 2009
"I never cease to be amazed at the quality of shots here. The South African wildlife shots are simply outstanding. Inspired"
8th February, 2009
"Hennie has a talent, and is an artist in the truest sense of the word. Every photo captures something beyond just the simple image, she captures action, drama, words, emotion, and countless other features: things I and many other photographers aspire to capture. You may or may not be familiar with her work, but either way I recommend visiting and re-visiting each and every image in her photostream, and simply enjoy the artistry."
23rd April, 2008
Laurie York says:
"How can I begin to describe Hennie's exquisite photographs? It's as if she focuses the camera with her heart! I've have never seen wildlife photographed with such passion, reverence, and skill. Hennie's presence on Flickr is a rare gift to us all..."
21st January, 2008
BASUDEB RAIGANJ says:
I am again grateful to U for introducing me to the wider world of Photography specially to the Animal Kingdom.
6th July, 2007
"Hennie doesn't post pictures of animals, she posts portraits of nature. Each and every one of them are sharp, remarkable works of art. Her images are the payoff of an endless reserve of patience. A reserve which allows her images to convey atmosphere, feeling, or emotion, all through her understanding and mastery of her subject, her surroundings, and her equipment.
Keep up the good work, Hennie, we all look forward to your next posting."
19th April, 2007
"Hennie you are an artist. Your captures are very very specials and elegance! Always amaze me.
The Queen of Animals"
11th April, 2007
"Simply put, Hennie is one of my favourite nature photographers. Many of her pictures are awesome in every aspect of picture taking. Fantastic photography!"
12th February, 2007
"Hennie hasn't been on Flickr long but her photo's show she has had a love for photography and animals for a long time. I think what I like best is that Hennie's comments are as thoughtfull as her photos. At first she tricked me into going Ape over her HotLips Orangutang. Only till later sending me back to my Baboon Therapist halfway coconuts over the misguided Treetop fantasies I had developed. But I forgive her."
3rd November, 2006
"Hennie van Heerden has absolutely gorgeous photos! I only dream of visitng the places that she portrays so beautifully. I hope your adventures never end. Keep posting for all of us to enjoy!
12th October, 2006
"I just recently came to know hvhe1 work and wow!! what a find..I am so honored to have her as a contract..Her work is continuously amazing..You can tell she puts her heart and soul into her work just by the Exquisite photo's she takes..I look forward to viewing her photostream everyday..Thank you so much for sharing
12th October, 2006
- Hennie van Heerden
- September 2006
- The Netherlands
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- www.Hennie van Heerden.com