"No art or artist here, just images meant to shine only through what they show."
Unknown (but self named Urashimataro)
"There are two kinds of people: those who give you energy, and those who take it away."
"Look at the world without thoughts, without ideas, without words. The world looks back at you. 'Photography,' Moriyama wrote, 'was a free art form.' 'free' meant no framing, no focus, no subject, no story. It meant using photography to see through the surface of things, to create 'fossils of light' and recover 'memory,' to find a new camera language to capture one's own highly charger emotional experience. Burobuke ('blurred and out-of-focus'), Moriyama called his new photographic style."
I shoot 99% film with my Leica MP and its inseparable friends, 21 Elmarit, 35 Sumicron, 90 Sumicron, 5cm Summitar and 50 Noctilux.
1. Think about death as the graduation of life. Don not fear it, live up to it.
2. Care about people
3. Always do your best
4. Embrace change and the unexpected
5. Be honest to yourself
art is what you can get away with.
- Andy Warhol
Honesty, i believe, is the ultimate state of being. When one is honest with oneself, and with others, there is no conflict and life is clear. In photography i believe the same is true.
What is HILIBOS?
HILIBOS came to life one night in Tokyo when a friend asked jokingly where I was from. To this I proudly answered:
"I'm from HILIBOS, a tiny island on a remote location in the Mediterranean sea." More questions followed:
Q: What language do you speak in HILIBOS?
Q: How do you say "hello" in HILIBOS?
And this way HILIBOS was born.
Today Hilibos means something different. Hilibos is home. I have lived outside of my home country, Mexico, for 16 years. For most of this time I have gone thru the usual "where is home" bit many times.
For a few years I believed home was still Mexico. Then I believed home was California, where I lived for 6 years. My mind changed and I thought Tokyo was home. By the time I moved to New York City I knew better; home was not any of these places, not even New York.
In 2005, on one of my regular trips to Tokyo I realized something: my life so far had been like an ivy. My experiences living in several countries had been like the lead branches, and by this time the tender and energetic leads had turn into strong, luscious branches. I had been home all along, it is just a different concept of home than what I expected.
Home is always changing, it is the vector area where my heart, my thoughts and familes are. I have been so lucky as to living what I had until that time wished for: to live not only in one place, under one roof alone, and with one set of family members. I had been living all along the dream of extending my human network and redefining conventional concepts of growing roots in a physical place. I put down my roots in the world, not in a specific place.
Hilibos is home. How much will it grow? How will it's borders change in the future? Who knows, stay tuned!
- CONTAX T3 28,034 photos, 2,371 members
- Mexico 35mm 3,106 photos, 200 members
- Living in Black and White Photography 134,416 photos, 3,348 members
- A Tree's wisdom is silent 30 photos, 3 members
- Danses et musiques du monde - World dances and music, in the str 5,547 photos, 212 members
- Social Dance: It takes 2 7,161 photos, 129 members
- Japan Street Scenes 10,778 photos, 320 members
- New York City>Chinatown 4,667 photos, 466 members
- NYC People 9,810 photos, 511 members
- tsukiji 2,452 photos, 215 members
- Hanami: Cherry Blossom Viewing at Brooklyn Botanic Garden 2,687 photos, 491 members
- MoMA The Museum of Modern Art (Official) 5,681 photos, 2,564 members
- Sharpness is Such a Bourgeois Concept 1,400 photos, 3,312 members
- Lost graphics 83 photos, 39 members
- Secret portraits 267 photos, 54 members
- Burebuke 637 photos, 78 members
- 告別 映像 - Farewell Photography 200 photos, 346 members
- By Accident 3,107 photos, 1,510 members
- Photographed Photographers 8,877 photos, 918 members
- Stalker 4,813 photos, 845 members
- New York City Emulsions 17,423 photos, 598 members
- Wisdom Cries Out in The Streets. 66,930 photos, 1,725 members
- Street Photography 3,200 photos, 43,707 members
- New York life 222,206 photos, 9,040 members
- New York Photography 453,264 photos, 22,626 members
- New York, New York 457,115 photos, 17,212 members
- New York City Photographer's Club 1,907 photos, 2,018 members
- NEW YORK CITY DEFINED 170,128 photos, 4,751 members
- New Orleans Photography 76,157 photos, 2,940 members
- New Orleans 77,167 photos, 3,792 members
- Film Portraits 60,425 photos, 2,689 members
- I Love Film 753,787 photos, 10,423 members
- reflections of life 40,002 photos, 1,977 members
- The Film Group 854,205 photos, 14,441 members
- I Shoot Fuji (FILM) 398,417 photos, 16,044 members
- On Film and In Focus 35,124 photos, 1,002 members
- Life is Art! 109,461 photos, 2,609 members
- Emotional Faces 28,133 photos, 3,788 members
- Flickr Gallery 10,702 photos, 222 members
- Flickr Wow (2 posts per day please) 101,921 photos, 4,194 members
- Compositions 527,179 photos, 13,630 members
- 35mm Photographers 1,114,885 photos, 24,905 members
- Pictures of Life 1,220 photos, 69 members
- FlickrCentral 9,428,317 photos, 264,509 members
- LIFE AND CAMERA 9,162 photos, 272 members
- IS PHOTOGRAPHY ART ? 24,341 photos, 802 members
- flickr.com 12,911 photos, 462 members
- *FILM* Club 440,973 photos, 6,004 members
- Urban Decay 484,350 photos, 33,820 members
- beautiful decay. 369,887 photos, 11,717 members
Hilibos doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Pablo Pineda
- August 2005
- Brooklyn, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken