"No art or artist here, just images meant to shine only through what they show."
Unknown (but self named Urashimataro)
"There are two kinds of people: those who give you energy, and those who take it away."
"Look at the world without thoughts, without ideas, without words. The world looks back at you. 'Photography,' Moriyama wrote, 'was a free art form.' 'free' meant no framing, no focus, no subject, no story. It meant using photography to see through the surface of things, to create 'fossils of light' and recover 'memory,' to find a new camera language to capture one's own highly charger emotional experience. Burobuke ('blurred and out-of-focus'), Moriyama called his new photographic style."
I shoot 99% film with my Leica MP and its inseparable friends, 21 Elmarit, 35 Sumicron, 90 Sumicron, 5cm Summitar and 50 Noctilux.
1. Think about death as the graduation of life. Don not fear it, live up to it.
2. Care about people
3. Always do your best
4. Embrace change and the unexpected
5. Be honest to yourself
art is what you can get away with.
- Andy Warhol
Honesty, i believe, is the ultimate state of being. When one is honest with oneself, and with others, there is no conflict and life is clear. In photography i believe the same is true.
What is HILIBOS?
HILIBOS came to life one night in Tokyo when a friend asked jokingly where I was from. To this I proudly answered:
"I'm from HILIBOS, a tiny island on a remote location in the Mediterranean sea." More questions followed:
Q: What language do you speak in HILIBOS?
Q: How do you say "hello" in HILIBOS?
And this way HILIBOS was born.
Today Hilibos means something different. Hilibos is home. I have lived outside of my home country, Mexico, for 16 years. For most of this time I have gone thru the usual "where is home" bit many times.
For a few years I believed home was still Mexico. Then I believed home was California, where I lived for 6 years. My mind changed and I thought Tokyo was home. By the time I moved to New York City I knew better; home was not any of these places, not even New York.
In 2005, on one of my regular trips to Tokyo I realized something: my life so far had been like an ivy. My experiences living in several countries had been like the lead branches, and by this time the tender and energetic leads had turn into strong, luscious branches. I had been home all along, it is just a different concept of home than what I expected.
Home is always changing, it is the vector area where my heart, my thoughts and familes are. I have been so lucky as to living what I had until that time wished for: to live not only in one place, under one roof alone, and with one set of family members. I had been living all along the dream of extending my human network and redefining conventional concepts of growing roots in a physical place. I put down my roots in the world, not in a specific place.
Hilibos is home. How much will it grow? How will it's borders change in the future? Who knows, stay tuned!
- CONTAX T3 21,777 photos, 1,711 members
- Mexico 35mm 1,987 photos, 139 members
- Living in Black and White 71,431 photos, 2,447 members
- A Tree's wisdom is silent 32 photos, 1 member
- Danses et musiques du monde - World dances and music, in the str 4,164 photos, 170 members
- Social Dance: It takes 2 5,024 photos, 110 members
- Japan Street Scenes 8,835 photos, 269 members
- New York City>Chinatown 3,883 photos, 402 members
- NYC People 6,296 photos, 294 members
- tsukiji 2,281 photos, 182 members
- Hanami: Cherry Blossom Viewing at Brooklyn Botanic Garden 2,626 photos, 439 members
- MoMA The Museum of Modern Art (Official) 6,098 photos, 2,269 members
- Sharpness is Such a Bourgeois Concept 1,146 photos, 3,112 members
- Lost graphics 82 photos, 40 members
- Secret portraits 272 photos, 57 members
- Burebuke 627 photos, 70 members
- 告別 映像 - Farewell Photography 225 photos, 328 members
- By Accident 3,326 photos, 1,513 members
- Photographed Photographers 6,559 photos, 844 members
- Stalker 4,937 photos, 810 members
- New York City Emulsions 14,150 photos, 531 members
- Wisdom Cries Out in The Streets. 52,560 photos, 1,570 members
- Street Photography 88,967 photos, 29,844 members
- New York life 178,367 photos, 8,182 members
- New York Photography 299,059 photos, 16,937 members
- New York, New York 372,715 photos, 15,320 members
- New York City Photographer's Club 1,979 photos, 790 members
- NEW YORK CITY DEFINED 131,581 photos, 4,233 members
- New Orleans Photography 44,984 photos, 2,443 members
- New Orleans 57,148 photos, 3,433 members
- Film Portraits 40,327 photos, 2,013 members
- I Love Film 475,739 photos, 7,650 members
- reflections of life 34,935 photos, 1,902 members
- The Film Group 495,134 photos, 9,673 members
- I Shoot Fuji (FILM) 299,308 photos, 13,156 members
- On Film and In Focus 19,635 photos, 692 members
- Life is Art! 67,123 photos, 2,190 members
- Emotional Faces 30,751 photos, 3,780 members
- Flickr Gallery 3,134 photos, 185 members
- Flickr Wow (2 posts per day please) 72,783 photos, 3,956 members
- Compositions 277,472 photos, 9,231 members
- 35mm Photographers 726,444 photos, 18,530 members
- Pictures of Life 1,211 photos, 68 members
- FlickrCentral 6,656,761 photos, 196,512 members
- LIFE AND CAMERA 7,978 photos, 264 members
- IS PHOTOGRAPHY ART ? 24,814 photos, 812 members
- flickr.com 9,152 photos, 371 members
- *FILM* Club 166,265 photos, 2,634 members
- Urban Decay 358,361 photos, 29,888 members
- beautiful decay. 248,538 photos, 9,610 members
Hilibos doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Pablo Pineda
- August 2005
- Brooklyn, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken