I'm a grown up woman who never lost the love of Barbie and other fashion dolls her size. I decided I want to start making Playscale dioramas to photograph and share with others.
I chose the screen name "GetMeStarted" because when I was a kid, I used to ask my older sister to "get me started" when I was playing Barbies. That meant that she would help me think up a story to play out with the dolls. I am a novelist, and my sister is still my brainstorming buddy for character development, storyline, and plot twists.
I have several sets of photos, including my Bios set where I include a headshot of each doll/character with bio information and links to other dolls that they are related to or connected to in their lives.
Anybody want to play Barbies with me?
My tags, explained:
See my 150 most used tags here.
See my entire list of tags here.
I am in the process of reorganizing my tags to make them into a more useful tool for me to use in searching my own pictures, as well as for anyone trying to navigate my photosteam. I found that I had some duplicate tags with slight differences, some where I had been inconsistent in using them wherever they applied, and several with so many items under a particular tag that it didn't make it any easier to find what I was looking for.
I used to try to include tags like "1:6, 1/6 Scale, 6th Scale, fashion doll", etc., on most of my photos, because I wondered if they somehow worked as keywords, for others to find my pictures doing Internet and flickr searches. To find out, I searched flickr for "1:6" to see how many of my pictures came up, and then I also did a Google image search for the same thing, and I didn't see any of my pictures, even several pages in. So, this validated my original thought, that in order to be found by a keyword search, the word has to be in the title or description of the photo. I know it's possible to click on a tag and search public uploads for that tag, and for that reason, I may later decide to add some of those phrases back to my tag list, but I suspect that more people are using keyword searches to find public pictures of what they are looking for, and so I'm going to use my tags as a way to navigate around within my own photostream. (You may start to see things like "1:6, 1/6 Scale, 6th Scale, fashion doll", etc., popping up in some of my titles and descriptions, though, so that certain photos can be more easily found in search engines and flickr-wide searches.)
I also used to try to include tags for the manufacturer's name and/or original name of each doll if I knew it, at least on the bio page, but that became so complicated and cumbersome that it made the point of tags less effective. I will try to come up with sets for each manufacturer and/or line in the future, in case anyone is looking specifically for Disney dolls or My Scene dolls, etc.
I'll be using my tags for:
Character names for my dolls - I use a tag with the name of each character that appears in each photo. If there is a particular character or doll you like, you can see more pictures of that doll/character by clicking his or her name under "Tags" on the right.
Men, Women, Teens and Tweens, and Children of Port Sebastian: This is just an easy way to break down the entire cast of characters.
Single: I created this tag for my own use, mostly, so I can easily see the single characters I have. This will help when I want to introduce a new couple, to figure out how many more men or women I need, etc. I am using the word "single" to mean "not dating anyone", rather than just "not married". I haven't included my teens in this category, though some of them are dating and others are not.
Diorama: For my diorama pictures. I categorize a scene to be a diorama if there is any type of set. Some are more detailed than others, but if there's more than just a background or one prop, I'll consider it a diorama. I don't consider outdoor pictures or pictures taken in a car to be dioramas unless I have made a set for the dolls in that location.
Hybrid: This refers to a doll that has been rebodied. I will add the "hybrid" tag to that doll's bio, even if the bio picture was taken before the doll was rebodied. This way, I don't have to remember to use the "hybrid" tag every single time I post a picture of that doll in the future. I may (I haven't decided yet) also use the "hybrid" tag the first time I post a picture of a doll after rebodying them, so that clicking on the "hybrid" tag doesn't bring only bio pictures as results. I don't consider my rebodied dolls to be one-of-a-kind (OOAK) dolls, as the bodies I'm using for rebodying are readily available and it's likely that there are several others who have used the same body for the same doll as well.
OOAK: This is for one-of-a-kind dolls. These will either be dolls I have changed by painting (other than minor paint repairs), re-rooting their hair, or giving them a hair cut.
rwl: This is a tag I created for my own use. This is my way of remembering which dolls are on the "Rebody Waiting List", and I can access it from my phone app when I'm out in a thrift store, flea market, etc., and I want to see which skin tones I need to find in articulated bodies.
p: This is a tag I created for my own use. This is my way of remembering which dolls I need to do some paint work on. This could be as simple as correcting crooked eyes or fixing missing paint on an eyebrow or it could mean adding facial hair or changing eye color (when I get brave and more experienced with painting).
h: This is a tag I created for my own use. This is my way of remembering which dolls' hair I plan to change, by giving them a hair cut or restyle or whatever (but not a re-root). I may use both the "h" and the "rr" tags if I'm undecided between a hair cut and a complete re-root.
rr: This is a tag I created for my own use. This is my way of remembering which dolls' hair I plan to re-root. I may use both the "h" and the "rr" tags if I'm undecided between a hair cut and a complete re-root.
ss: This is a tag I created for my own use. This is my way of remembering which dolls I have a "second style" version (or more than one extra version) of. This applies to the "Swappin' Styles Fashionista" dolls, where I may have one or more other "heads" with different hair styles and makeup, or duplicate dolls that play the same character with different looks.
lfss: This is a tag I created for my own use. These are the dolls for which I am looking for a second style version.
Other ways to find specific pictures:
Collections (which include sets)
GetMeStarted on Twitter
My doll blog, Divisible By Six
Divisible By Six on Facebook
One 6th Wonders (My miniatures)
One 6th Wonders on eBay
One 6th Wonders on Facebook
One 6th Wonders on Twitter
- Minor Lapses 228 photos, 25 members
- 1:6 scale dioramas 46 photos, 12 members
- Doll Tags 277 photos, 34 members
- FLAVAS Dolls 269 photos, 39 members
- Stardoll Barbie By Mattel 37 photos, 9 members
- Doll Hybrids 1,783 photos, 111 members
- The most beautiful dolls on earth 2,163 photos, 243 members
- LOL dolls 139 photos, 26 members
- NaNoWriMo and Dolls 4 photos, 1 member
- nanowrimo 5,541 photos, 2,145 members
- Midge, Barbie's Best Friend! 2,119 photos, 352 members
- You and Your Dolls 228 photos, 127 members
- Traveling Toys 33,083 photos, 2,304 members
- Dolls on wheels! 1,166 photos, 115 members
- It's a Man Doll - Men Only ;) 645 photos, 46 members
- Franken Hybrid Mix Matched Dollies And Figures!! 531 photos, 199 members
- Barbie Goddess Mold Fan Club 848 photos, 76 members
- Dolls Barbies ect. 29 photos, 9 members
- Cinema's & TV's Dolls 799 photos, 263 members
- Dolls in Music, Songs, Poems, Musicals, Plays, TV Shows & Movies 963 photos, 113 members
- Toy Sunday 1,409 photos, 126 members
- Beautiful Black Dolls 12,052 photos, 648 members
- DollObservers.com Fashion Doll Photography 11,331 photos, 270 members
- ♥ Close-Ups! Doll Portraits ® 55,863 photos, 1,626 members
- Song and Dance for Toys 760 photos, 33 members
- Miniature Kitchens 2,082 photos, 210 members
- MALE MUSCLE DOLLS AND ACTION FIGURES 4,889 photos, 223 members
- Constructed Narratives Using Toys 7,019 photos, 324 members
- Mini treasures 8,607 photos, 508 members
- Big Toys in Public! (Dare Yourself!) 117 photos, 20 members
- TRAVEL DOLLS 1,444 photos, 64 members
- Traveling Dolls / Dolls in Public Places 156 photos, 17 members
- Little People, Big World 1,469 photos, 106 members
- It Takes Two (dolls and toys) 8,540 photos, 329 members
- + Figure Portraits + 11,563 photos, 426 members
- 1/6th 161 photos, 97 members
- Sixth Scale Gothic, Punk & Steampunk 271 photos, 65 members
- Dollie Vixen's 13,758 photos, 1,067 members
- Barbie + Bratz + Liv + Monster High + Moxie = Awesomeness 19,285 photos, 565 members
- Animated Stills 884 photos, 124 members
- Alternative Lives of Dolls 2,747 photos, 143 members
- Barbie Fashion identification 244 photos, 45 members
- Toy Identification 257 photos, 264 members
- Barbie Addict 11,093 photos, 179 members
- For The Love Of Barbie. 21 photos, 4 members
- SECONDHAND TOYS 8,509 photos, 744 members
- Wigs! Wigs! Wigs! Fashion Queen Barbie, now and then... 229 photos, 33 members
- "Superstar era Barbie and Ken reroots" (late 70's to late 80's) 117 photos, 44 members
- All Boxed Up ~ Dolls & Action Figures 6,697 photos, 185 members
- Customized OOAK dollhouse furniture 1,619 photos, 221 members
GetMeStarted doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- February 2012
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- Writing, web design, making and selling miniatures and handmade jewelry
- Divisible By Six