George's photostream Pro User
It's very important to be astonished by everything.
I used to work here. Then I worked at the Internet Archive, leading the Open Library project. Now I work at Stamen as its Art Director.
I enjoy swearing and one of my favourite words is yoink.
Thanks to straup & fraying for letting me use photos they took of me: This and this.
A lot of my photos on Flickr have a Creative Commons license attached to them, so if you happen to stumble on one of those that you could make use of under that license, please go ahead! I've chosen to reserve all rights on most of the photos I've taken of family and friends in a personal or candid setting.
- Dazzling Carpet 49 photos, 7 members
- October 10, 2010 1,863 photos, 2,585 members
- Spinny Bar 123 photos, 25 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 15,884 photos, 19,477 members
- Bookshelf Project 3,415 photos, 2,241 members
- Geek the Library 2,782 photos, 193 members
- Book Cover Club 43,460 photos, 3,112 members
- My Books 21,166 photos, 3,027 members
- Oxford 39,352 photos, 2,924 members
- Open Library 599 photos, 76 members
- By Accident 3,315 photos, 1,508 members
- Polaroid SX 70 97,796 photos, 9,567 members
- Smithsonian 2.0 Conference 339 photos, 36 members
- Astronomy Photographer of the Year 11,691 photos, 3,390 members
- NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory 247 photos, 427 members
- Flickr Commons 1,839 photos, 1,710 members
- Rev Dan Catt Appreciation Society 37 photos, 32 members
- mw2009 1,207 photos, 85 members
- Alisha and Paul's Kauai Wedding 2,306 photos, 33 members
- Me, Right Now 1,522 photos, 933 members
- Encyclopedia of Life Images 176,016 photos, 3,368 members
- Your Design City 799 photos, 820 members
- Beside the Seaside 10,552 photos, 578 members
- London Flickr Meetups 8,330 photos, 2,808 members
- The Film Fanciers’ Guild 184,845 photos, 5,654 members
- Modern Times: modernism in Australia 1,443 photos, 221 members
- Museum 113,253 photos, 5,932 members
- Little Museums 5,132 photos, 130 members
- Landing Around The World 164 photos, 188 members
- hardcore tree photography 791 photos, 725 members
- 120 challenge 907 photos, 177 members
- 90-Second Stories 48 photos, 464 members
- Video! Video! Video! 307 photos, 28 members
- domestic spaces/human traces 949 photos, 612 members
- Chicken soup: every culture has its own version! 597 photos, 150 members
- Field Guide: Birds of the World 144,939 photos, 15,579 members
- Kodak Portra Lovers 33,667 photos, 2,091 members
- Decisive Moments... Classics in B&W 16,109 photos, 3,470 members
- Lolsheviks 34 photos, 75 members
- Fundamentos Web 1,057 photos, 57 members
- Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim 44,391 photos, 4,287 members
- SA Central 45,121 photos, 935 members
- BBQ & Grilled Foods 10,862 photos, 1,400 members
- church on fire 1,983 photos, 104 members
- How We Are Now 5,126 photos, 2,676 members
- Flickr Ideas 0 photos, 11,444 members
- LOMO 216,208 photos, 31,755 members
- LOMO KOMPAKT AUTOMAT [LC-A] 71,459 photos, 3,420 members
- Photobooth Goggles and Headspiders 0 photos, 3 members
- Holga people (people in the picture) 19,025 photos, 3,342 members
"I love George"
12th December, 2008
"ahh...my brilliant and magnificent sister... where do i begin? she is very clever and pretty and has possibly the sharpest tongue in the west. she cooks like a kitchen goddess, writes like a nobel winner, has the voice of an angel, the enquiring mind of an explorer, and can chuck a tennis ball further than anyone i know. oh, she also has lovely hair. (ps. sorry Heather - she's already taken... but I can share...)"
12th August, 2008
Wiley Wiggins says:
"George is made out of awesome. Please let me know if you come down for SXSW and need a place to stay, I have a spare room and would love to return the favor!"
28th February, 2008
"George. She'll make you drink champagne."
13th January, 2007
"G is the sane one in this insane world. She is smart, vibrant, realistic, dedicated, kind, witty and vveeerrryyy creative. This color loving cappy has already made her mark on the world and continues to add her essence to everything she touches - the Glo style.
You rock big time G. Thank you for being YOU."
17th May, 2006
Kris Krug says:
"Optical delusions still themselves when you pass by in convexing pomp and sacral trance."
28th April, 2006
"More people should like swearing, then Bees and I would be less pilloried by society for our foul mouths.
George likes swearing. This makes me happy. George also tells me off on occasion (don't tell her, but I like it). When she combines the two, it maketh me all warm and squirmy inside.
13th April, 2006
"George is the bees knees. If I could adopt her as a sister, I would."
27th January, 2006
"Who is this George person and how does she get so many testimonials?"
17th January, 2006
"George, Georgie Parker, ...
Whatever guise she adopts, she's the greatest!"
12th January, 2006
myla kent says:
"George is fabulous."
7th September, 2005
"George has a nice laugh, and she makes other people laugh, so generally there is alot of laughing."
19th July, 2005
"One of my (new) favorite colours is George."
12th June, 2005
"George is insanely funny, wicked smart, and brings *major* fashion sense to Ludicorp.
She is definitely one of the top 5 coolest Australians working on Flickr right now."
25th February, 2005
""Imagine this sung slightly out of tune:
George......oh George.... you are, you are..... George Oates. You like to row boats. Oh yes...yes you do...and you are rude. You know? Because YOU.... ARE.... GO GEORGE!""
9th January, 2005
"George makes me laugh often. That about sums things up."
1st December, 2004
"...in Vanilla Sky, David looks at the pictures on Sofia's fridge, smiles & says, 'I like your life'. That's how I feel, when I look at George's photos. (Sofia replies, 'Well, it's mine & you can't have it!' :)"
29th July, 2004
The Lambertinis says:
"george. well really she's just lovely. talented too. should hear this woman sing! sings like aretha, cooks like nigella and chucks a ball like.... well someone who chucks a ball really well. boldly carving out a life in the land of lumberjacks and moose, much missed. good excuse to visit vankkie, but."
18th June, 2004
15th April, 2004
andy oates says:
"George is my SIS! I am lucky enough to have known George all my life, i even remember when she lay on my lap when she was fresh out of the womb. know what? she just gets better and better with time too. hmmmm... who the hell is georgie parker???"
3rd April, 2004
"While the true origins of George are unknown at this time, researchers are working steadfast to enable the George all of us. So people, let's celebrate the George in all of us."
1st April, 2004
"She found them in an old film canister, one so dusty with neglect as to make her think twice about opening it, but she did, and upon opening it she found the desiccated bodies of three insects - beetles of some kind - each a different metallic color.
That was how it began."
18th March, 2004
"What is the mysterious quality that makes George so delightful to be around? I can't say. All I know is that a day after meeting her, I felt like we had known each other for years. Is "George" Australian for "super cool geek grrl"? Could be..."
16th February, 2004
"George is one devoted developer toiling from dawn to darkness. But when the monitor turn off. Say hello to Georgie Parker, wild woman extrodionare"
15th March, 2004
"While others might compare George to crack, I prefer to think of those A.C. Doyle stories where Sherlock Holmes is snorting coke and playing the violin while floating in some sort of aesthetic and intellectual nirvana."
17th February, 2004
"The intrigue of George lies in the extreme variations present in her personality and interests. She's not crack; she's a test tube of fizzy, reacting goodness."
16th February, 2004
"There are two things that keep me coming back to Flickr. The first is a crippling agoraphobia, and the second is George, whose personality is more addictive than crack, and shinier than a brand new penny."
12th February, 2004
"George is a fabboo person to get a pint (or pitcher) with. Seriously, look her up & ask her down to the pub, you will have a great time!"
6th February, 2004
georgie parker says:
"George reminds me a bit of Cat Woman. Out of work hours, she turns into... well... me!"
6th February, 2004
- George Oates
- February 2004
- Adelaide, South Australia
- San Francisco, USA
- I am:
- a bit of george
- glo [at] abitofgeorge.com