It's very important to be astonished by everything.
I used to work here. Then I worked at the Internet Archive, leading the Open Library project. Now I work at Stamen as its Art Director.
I enjoy swearing and one of my favourite words is yoink.
Thanks to straup & fraying for letting me use photos they took of me: This and this.
A lot of my photos on Flickr have a Creative Commons license attached to them, so if you happen to stumble on one of those that you could make use of under that license, please go ahead! I've chosen to reserve all rights on most of the photos I've taken of family and friends in a personal or candid setting.
- Dazzling Carpet 41 photos, 7 members
- October 10, 2010 1,818 photos, 2,531 members
- Spinny Bar 123 photos, 25 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 15,515 photos, 19,156 members
- Bookshelf Project 3,340 photos, 2,247 members
- Geek the Library 3,081 photos, 210 members
- Book Cover Club 50,754 photos, 3,270 members
- My Books 22,819 photos, 3,066 members
- Oxford 42,487 photos, 3,064 members
- Open Library 608 photos, 81 members
- By Accident 3,316 photos, 1,509 members
- Polaroid SX 70 101,260 photos, 12,171 members
- Smithsonian 2.0 Conference 339 photos, 37 members
- Astronomy Photographer of the Year 15,936 photos, 4,114 members
- NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory 246 photos, 518 members
- Flickr Commons 2,213 photos, 1,806 members
- Rev Dan Catt Appreciation Society 30 photos, 33 members
- mw2009 1,192 photos, 85 members
- Alisha and Paul's Kauai Wedding 1,875 photos, 33 members
- Me, Right Now 1,490 photos, 926 members
- Encyclopedia of Life Images 199,029 photos, 3,524 members
- Your Design City 787 photos, 810 members
- Beside the Seaside 11,606 photos, 589 members
- London Flickr Meetups 8,429 photos, 2,869 members
- The Film Fanciers’ Guild 206,053 photos, 5,805 members
- Modern Times: modernism in Australia 1,468 photos, 221 members
- Museum 125,927 photos, 6,018 members
- Little Museums 5,492 photos, 130 members
- Landing Around The World 169 photos, 192 members
- hardcore tree photography 781 photos, 768 members
- 120 challenge 899 photos, 173 members
- 90-Second Stories 38 photos, 460 members
- Video! Video! Video! 291 photos, 27 members
- domestic spaces/human traces 932 photos, 607 members
- Chicken soup: every culture has its own version! 588 photos, 149 members
- Field Guide: Birds of the World 161,202 photos, 19,109 members
- Kodak Portra Lovers 40,621 photos, 2,435 members
- Decisive Moments... Classics in B&W 16,162 photos, 3,532 members
- Lolsheviks 34 photos, 72 members
- Fundamentos Web 1,057 photos, 57 members
- Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim 44,628 photos, 4,314 members
- SA Central 46,930 photos, 985 members
- BBQ & Grilled Foods 11,158 photos, 1,429 members
- church on fire 2,002 photos, 105 members
- How We Are Now 5,043 photos, 2,656 members
- Flickr Ideas 1 photo, 11,893 members
- LOMO 218,720 photos, 34,493 members
- LOMO KOMPAKT AUTOMAT [LC-A] 72,420 photos, 3,502 members
- Photobooth Goggles and Headspiders 0 photos, 3 members
- Holga people (people in the picture) 18,479 photos, 3,300 members
"I love George"
12th December, 2008
"ahh...my brilliant and magnificent sister... where do i begin? she is very clever and pretty and has possibly the sharpest tongue in the west. she cooks like a kitchen goddess, writes like a nobel winner, has the voice of an angel, the enquiring mind of an explorer, and can chuck a tennis ball further than anyone i know. oh, she also has lovely hair. (ps. sorry Heather - she's already taken... but I can share...)"
12th August, 2008
Wiley Wiggins says:
"George is made out of awesome. Please let me know if you come down for SXSW and need a place to stay, I have a spare room and would love to return the favor!"
28th February, 2008
"George. She'll make you drink champagne."
13th January, 2007
"G is the sane one in this insane world. She is smart, vibrant, realistic, dedicated, kind, witty and vveeerrryyy creative. This color loving cappy has already made her mark on the world and continues to add her essence to everything she touches - the Glo style.
You rock big time G. Thank you for being YOU."
17th May, 2006
Kris Krug says:
"Optical delusions still themselves when you pass by in convexing pomp and sacral trance."
28th April, 2006
"More people should like swearing, then Bees and I would be less pilloried by society for our foul mouths.
George likes swearing. This makes me happy. George also tells me off on occasion (don't tell her, but I like it). When she combines the two, it maketh me all warm and squirmy inside.
13th April, 2006
"George is the bees knees. If I could adopt her as a sister, I would."
27th January, 2006
"Who is this George person and how does she get so many testimonials?"
17th January, 2006
"George, Georgie Parker, ...
Whatever guise she adopts, she's the greatest!"
12th January, 2006
myla kent says:
"George is fabulous."
7th September, 2005
"George has a nice laugh, and she makes other people laugh, so generally there is alot of laughing."
19th July, 2005
"One of my (new) favorite colours is George."
12th June, 2005
"George is insanely funny, wicked smart, and brings *major* fashion sense to Ludicorp.
She is definitely one of the top 5 coolest Australians working on Flickr right now."
25th February, 2005
""Imagine this sung slightly out of tune:
George......oh George.... you are, you are..... George Oates. You like to row boats. Oh yes...yes you do...and you are rude. You know? Because YOU.... ARE.... GO GEORGE!""
9th January, 2005
"George makes me laugh often. That about sums things up."
1st December, 2004
"...in Vanilla Sky, David looks at the pictures on Sofia's fridge, smiles & says, 'I like your life'. That's how I feel, when I look at George's photos. (Sofia replies, 'Well, it's mine & you can't have it!' :)"
29th July, 2004
The Lambertinis says:
"george. well really she's just lovely. talented too. should hear this woman sing! sings like aretha, cooks like nigella and chucks a ball like.... well someone who chucks a ball really well. boldly carving out a life in the land of lumberjacks and moose, much missed. good excuse to visit vankkie, but."
18th June, 2004
15th April, 2004
andy oates says:
"George is my SIS! I am lucky enough to have known George all my life, i even remember when she lay on my lap when she was fresh out of the womb. know what? she just gets better and better with time too. hmmmm... who the hell is georgie parker???"
3rd April, 2004
"While the true origins of George are unknown at this time, researchers are working steadfast to enable the George all of us. So people, let's celebrate the George in all of us."
1st April, 2004
"She found them in an old film canister, one so dusty with neglect as to make her think twice about opening it, but she did, and upon opening it she found the desiccated bodies of three insects - beetles of some kind - each a different metallic color.
That was how it began."
18th March, 2004
"What is the mysterious quality that makes George so delightful to be around? I can't say. All I know is that a day after meeting her, I felt like we had known each other for years. Is "George" Australian for "super cool geek grrl"? Could be..."
16th February, 2004
"George is one devoted developer toiling from dawn to darkness. But when the monitor turn off. Say hello to Georgie Parker, wild woman extrodionare"
15th March, 2004
"While others might compare George to crack, I prefer to think of those A.C. Doyle stories where Sherlock Holmes is snorting coke and playing the violin while floating in some sort of aesthetic and intellectual nirvana."
17th February, 2004
"The intrigue of George lies in the extreme variations present in her personality and interests. She's not crack; she's a test tube of fizzy, reacting goodness."
16th February, 2004
"There are two things that keep me coming back to Flickr. The first is a crippling agoraphobia, and the second is George, whose personality is more addictive than crack, and shinier than a brand new penny."
12th February, 2004
"George is a fabboo person to get a pint (or pitcher) with. Seriously, look her up & ask her down to the pub, you will have a great time!"
6th February, 2004
georgie parker says:
"George reminds me a bit of Cat Woman. Out of work hours, she turns into... well... me!"
6th February, 2004
- George Oates
- February 2004
- Adelaide, South Australia
- San Francisco, USA
- I am:
- a bit of george
- glo [at] abitofgeorge.com