The Galt Museum & Archives in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada, plays a vital role in preserving and interpreting the material culture of Lethbridge and Southwestern Alberta.
We are a vibrant gathering place that meets historical, cultural and educational needs.
We engage and educate our communities in the human history of southwestern Alberta by preserving and sharing collections, stories and memories that define our collective identity and guide our future.
We value stewardship, creativity and innovation, integrity and authenticity, teamwork and cooperation, and excellence.
A bif of history:
In 1965, the first civic museum opened its doors in Lethbridge. George McKillop was the museum's first curator. It quickly outgrew its space, and relocated to the former Galt Hospital.
After considerable renovation, the Sir Alexander Galt Museum opened its doors in 1967. The Lethbridge and District Historical Society operated the museum with volunteers until 1971. Through the efforts of many people, the Galt Museum was placed in the Urban Parks program in the early 1980s and expanded once more.
Reopened in 1984, new gallery space and expanded storage space allowed the museum to develop new programs and temporary exhibits, and to care for its collections in a manner that meets accepted standards of museum practice.
In September 2004 the Galt Museum moved its offices and collections off-site to facilitate a second expansion which reopened on May 6, 2006.
Today, The Galt Museum & Archives in Lethbridge is an established cultural leader in southern Alberta, having contributed to the fabric of the region since the 1967. Our consistently high-calibre, award-winning exhibits and learning opportunities have drawn over 50,000 visitors a year.
Extensive collections, professionally administered archives and a variety of ongoing interpretive programs and events ensure that people are compelled to keep coming back to make that important connection between themselves and their regional history.
Though the museum and its collections are owned by the City of Lethbridge, the facility is governed by a City-appointed volunteer Board of Governors. The Galt is respected in Alberta’s museum community, has a growing national profile, and is committed to international museum standards.
The Galt cares for a growing collection of over 20,000 artifacts and 300,000 archival documents and photographs, and we are pleased to participate in flickr The Commons! We have uploaded photos which we believe have no known copyright restrictions, please refer to our rights statement on our website: www.galtmuseum.com/copyright.htm
To see how our stories are unfolding today, visit our alter ego flickr site:
Photos of Galt Museum & Archives on The Commons (6)
- Demo Day 491 photos, 20 members
- Vintage Canada 1,283 photos, 116 members
- I believe in holidays & other calendrical observances P1 C1 14,475 photos, 817 members
- YMCA & YWCA BUILDINGS OF THE WORLD, THEN AND NOW. 101 photos, 7 members
- HAYSTACKS - more than 5000 haystacks from all over the world... 9,010 photos, 1,006 members
- Canadian Badlands Images 611 photos, 39 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 5,174 photos, 285 members
- Vintage pics 17,396 photos, 374 members
- canada the land the people the history and experience 17,266 photos, 310 members
- artland 588,494 photos, 30,409 members
- Trésors du Canada/Canada's Treasures 418 photos, 53 members
- MUSEUMVIEWS.com 349 photos, 179 members
- World Portrait 2020 88,545 photos, 3,317 members
- soulful journey 82,092 photos, 1,836 members
- a new world 26,835 photos, 606 members
- History of Canadian Science and Technology 6,766 photos, 363 members
- Vintage Photographs (pre-1945) [Directory] 2,971 photos, 440 members
- Geotagged : Vintage photographs (1945 or earlier) 4,399 photos, 143 members
- Historic Lethbridge & area 545 photos, 36 members
- The Astonishing Power of Flickr 1,008 photos, 196 members
- What's That Picture? (pre-1945 mysteries) 1,100 photos, 251 members
- The History Faculty 89 photos, 9 members
- Flickr Commons 2,181 photos, 1,807 members
- Chicago History Museum 6,760 photos, 248 members
- MOO (MiniCards, Business Cards & More, Printed by MOO) 14,754 photos, 13,261 members
- Canadian History 8,578 photos, 424 members
- canadian architecture 5,397 photos, 213 members
- Traintrack 6,308 photos, 191 members
- Mines & Mining 22,504 photos, 1,751 members
- Alberta History 1,568 photos, 63 members
- Little Museums 5,587 photos, 130 members
- At the museum 95,631 photos, 2,952 members
- museum watchers watching 9,519 photos, 3,123 members
- Lethbridge 3,182 photos, 150 members
Galt Museum & Archives on The Commons doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- February 2008
- Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA
- Story Sharing
- Galt Museum & Archives
- info [at] galtmuseum.com