The Galt Museum & Archives in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada, plays a vital role in preserving and interpreting the material culture of Lethbridge and Southwestern Alberta.
We are a vibrant gathering place that meets historical, cultural and educational needs.
We engage and educate our communities in the human history of southwestern Alberta by preserving and sharing collections, stories and memories that define our collective identity and guide our future.
We value stewardship, creativity and innovation, integrity and authenticity, teamwork and cooperation, and excellence.
A bif of history:
In 1965, the first civic museum opened its doors in Lethbridge. George McKillop was the museum's first curator. It quickly outgrew its space, and relocated to the former Galt Hospital.
After considerable renovation, the Sir Alexander Galt Museum opened its doors in 1967. The Lethbridge and District Historical Society operated the museum with volunteers until 1971. Through the efforts of many people, the Galt Museum was placed in the Urban Parks program in the early 1980s and expanded once more.
Reopened in 1984, new gallery space and expanded storage space allowed the museum to develop new programs and temporary exhibits, and to care for its collections in a manner that meets accepted standards of museum practice.
In September 2004 the Galt Museum moved its offices and collections off-site to facilitate a second expansion which reopened on May 6, 2006.
Today, The Galt Museum & Archives in Lethbridge is an established cultural leader in southern Alberta, having contributed to the fabric of the region since the 1967. Our consistently high-calibre, award-winning exhibits and learning opportunities have drawn over 50,000 visitors a year.
Extensive collections, professionally administered archives and a variety of ongoing interpretive programs and events ensure that people are compelled to keep coming back to make that important connection between themselves and their regional history.
Though the museum and its collections are owned by the City of Lethbridge, the facility is governed by a City-appointed volunteer Board of Governors. The Galt is respected in Alberta’s museum community, has a growing national profile, and is committed to international museum standards.
The Galt cares for a growing collection of over 20,000 artifacts and 300,000 archival documents and photographs, and we are pleased to participate in flickr The Commons! We have uploaded photos which we believe have no known copyright restrictions, please refer to our rights statement on our website: www.galtmuseum.com/copyright.htm
To see how our stories are unfolding today, visit our alter ego flickr site:
Photos of Galt Museum & Archives on The Commons (4)
- Demo Day 405 photos, 21 members
- Vintage Canada 1,236 photos, 115 members
- I believe in holidays & other calendrical observances P1 C1 14,167 photos, 817 members
- YMCA & YWCA BUILDINGS OF THE WORLD, THEN AND NOW. 100 photos, 7 members
- HAYSTACKS - more than 5000 haystacks from all over the world... 8,169 photos, 927 members
- Canadian Badlands Images 565 photos, 40 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 4,620 photos, 280 members
- Vintage pics 15,804 photos, 363 members
- canada the land the people the history and experience 16,608 photos, 306 members
- artland 553,314 photos, 29,667 members
- Trésors du Canada/Canada's Treasures 420 photos, 54 members
- MUSEUMVIEWS.com 473 photos, 179 members
- World Portrait 2020 85,475 photos, 3,285 members
- soulful journey 80,939 photos, 1,831 members
- a new world 26,688 photos, 597 members
- History of Canadian Science and Technology 6,565 photos, 354 members
- Vintage Photographs (pre-1945) [Directory] 2,974 photos, 414 members
- Geotagged : Vintage photographs (1945 or earlier) 4,437 photos, 145 members
- Historic Lethbridge & area 537 photos, 36 members
- The Astonishing Power of Flickr 986 photos, 192 members
- What's That Picture? (pre-1945 mysteries) 1,034 photos, 243 members
- The History Faculty 89 photos, 9 members
- Flickr Commons 2,074 photos, 1,777 members
- Chicago History Museum 6,730 photos, 248 members
- MOO (MiniCards, Business Cards & More, Printed by MOO) 14,812 photos, 13,279 members
- Canadian History 8,328 photos, 426 members
- canadian architecture 5,316 photos, 215 members
- Traintrack 6,014 photos, 190 members
- Mines & Mining 21,736 photos, 1,727 members
- Alberta History 1,553 photos, 62 members
- Little Museums 5,481 photos, 130 members
- At the museum 91,772 photos, 2,927 members
- museum watchers watching 9,452 photos, 3,067 members
- Lethbridge 3,058 photos, 148 members
Galt Museum & Archives on The Commons doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- February 2008
- Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA
- Story Sharing
- Galt Museum & Archives
- info [at] galtmuseum.com