Hi! Thanks for looking at my pictures!
i owe so much to Flickr... i've become fascinated with photography again, after years of neglect. thanks to photo social networking, i have had some images published, i have organized some cafe shows that arose from a Flickr photo stroll, i have embraced my rekindled obsession, and i've started to dip my toes back into the world of video, which i'd set aside since college. i'm so thankful for the community-building features, savvy staff and smart community members here!
i got into Flickr while working at Salon.com managing The WELL and Salon article comments communities. (it's been refreshing to be free to be at flickr purely as an opinionated customer and community participant. i've taken my shoes off and am having a fabulous time in group visual play here.)
i came over with the fotolog.net emigres in fall of 2004, in an interesting "online refugee" transition. part of my earlier profile from those fotolog days rings true:
" i usually use a fairly small midprice digital camera. i take it with me nearly everywhere. this medium has gotten me seeing things again. i miss B&W darkroom work from high school and college years ago, but not enough to do it anymore.
i`m learning about light and composition and form, all over again. i`m also interested in objects, events, humor... times when the photo is weak but the subject matter grabs me: sometimes a shot is only a snap.
I've written a few posts about Flickr interestingness, interface and Flickr community over at my infrequent blog, which is often about online community dynamics. I've also posted a lot about Flickr within the conferences on The WELL:
www.well.com/ I even presented about Flickr at a conference -- the Net Squared conference in a session for nonprofit mashups.
FlickRiver is a way to see images on black, much better for many of these shots. I love these toys the community builds for one another.
- Your Best Shot 2012 6,271 photos, 7,382 members
- The White-Inyo Mountains of California 855 photos, 95 members
- OccupySF 1,906 photos, 114 members
- Flickr 11|11|11 2,205 photos, 3,405 members
- For Garnite! 529 photos, 139 members
- The Nature Conservancy 522,417 photos, 33,184 members
- Sculpture 136,407 photos, 8,320 members
- San Francisco Giants 4,748 photos, 237 members
- HOPS! 752 photos, 95 members
- Berkeleyside 8,096 photos, 302 members
- New Photo Page Preview 0 photos, 3,514 members
- How Buildings Learn 24 photos, 7 members
- Wild California 6,221 photos, 179 members
- Social Media Week 2010 118 photos, 12 members
- Salon food Flickr pool 1,717 photos, 105 members
- TechSoup Global 1,649 photos, 217 members
- Tell a story in 5 frames (Visual story telling) 199 photos, 12,596 members
- Colour Chart 3,355 photos, 2,043 members
- Garden of Memory Concert 697 photos, 31 members
- Found Paintings 4,693 photos, 203 members
- Bishop Ca 907 photos, 83 members
- Northern California Beer Community 453 photos, 38 members
- Pick 5 for the Environment (from U.S. EPA) 488 photos, 122 members
- Flickr 5.25 1,090 photos, 1,386 members
- Black Cat Club! 509 photos, 110 members
- sfbars 276 photos, 69 members
- SF BEER WEEK 1,590 photos, 48 members
- Belgian Beer 3,238 photos, 528 members
- Beer Advocate 5,144 photos, 113 members
- NOAHsurvey: a Survey of New Orleans Architectural History 21,247 photos, 228 members
- Your Narnia photo contest 107 photos, 61 members
- NOLA Love 259 photos, 36 members
- Shoe Conversations 1,262 photos, 329 members
- KPFA Listeners Group 108 photos, 31 members
- Humid City 4,918 photos, 208 members
- People with Holiday or Vacation Beers / Drinks 907 photos, 87 members
- Beer Festivals 1,306 photos, 115 members
- BlogHer Header Photos 872 photos, 443 members
- Quirkee Quirky Photos & Videos 1,616 photos, 117 members
- Global Political Concensus 312 photos, 171 members
- Pink 2008 21,605 photos, 8,897 members
- Images for the Life on the Line video 79 photos, 18 members
- Homebrewers Anonymous 3,365 photos, 425 members
- Homebrew Beer 2,017 photos, 226 members
- Commingling 62 photos, 34 members
- Wicked Reflections 15,715 photos, 1,036 members
- form, shape, composition 44,674 photos, 1,327 members
- News 21 / The American Dream 1,101 photos, 381 members
- Finding Flow! 3,712 photos, 239 members
- 165 photos, 38 members
"Gail's work doesn't scream at you; it quietly surprises and is the kind of thoughtful photos that, like soft jazz, plays beautifully in the background until some phrase or line perks up your eyes and then you can't stop looking, can't stop wanting that gentle shock that she gives visually. Her awareness is something i admire immensely.
I've happily come to know her photographic landscape generally and enjoy her comments and honest and undemanding friendship quite a lot."
22nd July, 2006
O Caritas says:
"Quite simply, Gail's photostream is one of the most enjoyable on flickr. Her eye and attention to detail is amongst the keenest I've yet come across here, and I look forward to her clever, "quick-witted" images, and her vision of her world.
I've never gotten the impression that she spends a lot of time commenting on others' photos, but her quiet presence is an enormous influence on me and (no doubt) others."
21st September, 2005
bruce grant says:
"to have the kind of eye for visual beauty that gail has would be enough for most artists...
but to combine this with the kind of social/anthropological eye for the nuances of social photoblogging (a term i learned from her)...
...and to combine that analytical understanding of social nuance with real concern and care for the people involved...
and to combine those with the kind of catholicity of taste that embraces urban beauty, natural beauty, and baseball...
and to combine all of those with the passion for social justice -- and the conviction that art can further that passion...
this is rare...exceedingly rare
i'm honored that gail has become my friend
you go, girl"
18th September, 2005
krazydad / jbum says:
"A caretaker. One of the rare few who takes an active role in the care & feeding of online communities."
3rd April, 2005
"It has become a daily joy to vicariously see through your eyes and lens !
Such talent should not go uncommented !
Thank you for your sharing !"
2nd March, 2005
"Actually I don't like to comment on a single photo. It is the whole of your stream that facinates me. I am very sensitive to colours and forms, eventually emotions.
I have been working with pictures for most of my life as a professional, so get bored easily. I envy those who are able to create a new reality using forms and colours.
My other half is the storyteller. Some pictures have a story, you are telling me those stories too. I hope you also let me free in finding out what story the picture itself delivers to me. Watching pictures can be an adventure a journey in to what you present in forms and colours.
Your photostream is facinating, I'll be watching your archive from now on with a different attitude.
30th November, 2004
- Gail Williams
- October 2004
- northern california
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- community tending